Message Boards

Topic : 09/12 The N-Word Debate

Number of Replies: 2299
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, September 04, 2008, 12:16:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
This two-syllable expression is arguably the most divisive word in society. Dr. Phil tackles this touchy topic with help from a panel of outspoken luminaries: civil rights activist Rev. Al Sharpton; legendary comedian and writer Paul Mooney; CSI actor and author Hill Harper; comedian Sheryl Underwood and conservative radio talk show host Michael Graham. First, is there a double standard that allows African-Americans to use this sensitive word, while non-blacks are forbidden? The debate heats up when Rachel, a white guest, says she calls her husband the N-word all the time. Then, should hip-hop artists be censored or fined for using the N-word in their songs? Becky says rappers promote negative stereotypes with their lyrics, but find out who Rev. Al Sharpton thinks should face the music. Plus, does tone or intent make a difference when using the N-word? See what Dr. Phil thinks and share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 6, 2008, 12:51 pm CDT

The "N" word

It is my opinion that if you can not say something nice, do no say anything at all and this word is certainly not nice.  If is demeaning and degrading to the receiver and the giver.  Grow up.

September 6, 2008, 1:01 pm CDT

the n word

REV al sharpton    should keep his opinions to himself    he is nothing but trouble    his life is nothing to talk about    he has been a cheater   liar    and a person of questionable person.   why get into other people lives for no reason.    i live in ny  nobody cares what he has to say   .  i think no one black or white etc.........  should use that n word    whether the person it is beeing said to knows they are kidding. its not nice  

September 6, 2008, 1:02 pm CDT

09/12 The N-Word Debate

Quote From: ryeclan

It seems to me that when there is conflict with an African American and a white person that the white person gets attacked that they are racist. Could it be the other way around? Just wondering if anyone else feels this way?
i feel the same way you do   doesnt 

September 6, 2008, 1:22 pm CDT

the n word

i guess i am frustrated and angry that this terrible word is still being used, my2nd  ex husband is black and i am white, his mother never allowed the use of that nasty word in her home or in her presence and i never allowed it in mine, i have children that are white and i have one child that is mixed race and there was never anything more precious in this world to his entire family when my son who is mixed was born, my daughters always protected him, and he was also born with a bi-lateral cleft, god help the kid or person even after that was fixed that said the wrong thing to my precious little boy as his sisters would set them straight very quickly in no uncertain terms and i have always taught all my children like my mother-in-law did that to use that word even if you are black is to run yourself and your race down, you need to take pride in youself and your race and that wise woman cared for my other children just like they were her blood grandchildren, there was never any question of if they were her grandchildren or not they were, what bothers me was when my marriage was breaking down was that my husband who always respected my hatred of that word then started to use it around me as he knew i cringed every time i heard it and didn't want it used in front of the kids, and when my youngest daughter said it in toys are us at one point i had turned around and backhanded her instantly without even thinking about it, and forgeting that my sister-in-law was with me, it was instantous, and to this day maybe i shoud regret it but i don't as i feel that strongly about that nasty word, now my son is 17 and it is in all the music that he likes to listen to and i am just horrified by it and if he wants to listen to it, it has to be when i am not present like in his room or somewhere else, and just last night i had to holler at one of his best friends when he said hey n you got kentucky fried, and i dressed him down, right there and then and you know what he said, i'm sorry mama, i forgot, i won't do it again,and he is another mixed race child of 23 and i love him dearly even thought he is not of my blood, i guess what i am getting at is we have to get everyone to stop saying this word if we truly want to bury it and for it  to stay dead and buried like was done last year, it is not dead and buried until everyone stops using it, and that includes everyone in the black community and the rap community also, you have to start respecting yourself enough to demand that it's use stop with you and everyone has to make that commitment not just everyone but the african american community and the rap community.

September 6, 2008, 1:30 pm CDT

had a recent discussion

I am a senior in high school who takes African American history and we discussed the N word and whether or not it should be used. I am the only caucasian person in that class and I said I never say that word ever because there are so many people who think that word is degrading(me being one of them) and it's still used by caucasian racists as a put down. Most of my classmates said "It depends on how you use it! We've changed it so it can sound good." The teacher read us a line from a book that talks about how an african american kid said it all the time around his african american friends, but if a caucasian person said it they were busted. To my surprise the two most outspoken kids in the class said that if a white person said it to them it would depend on how they said it as to whether or not it was racist. The teacher left us something to think about he said "I die and I plant an apple tree. 100 years later people start people are trying to make oranges out of my apple tree, but in the end isn't it still an apple tree?" He also told us about how one of the teachers in the school was in high school right when forced integration started and she kept raising her hand in class and her teacher never called on her. Eventually he looked at her and said "I don't take questions from n******" and whenever that teacher hears students using it in the hall, black or white, she thinks that is just degrading. To me that word should never be used, it doesn't matter what race you are. It's just like saying it's ok to use the F word as long as you use it this way. In the end it's still the F word. In the end the N word is still the offensive, racist N word. It hurts people.

September 6, 2008, 1:39 pm CDT

The N Word

Quote From: anjib15

I don't know the actual origin of the "N" word, but it doesn't matter who uses it. 

They sound illiterate when they do.  You could be a highly educated Harvard law graduate, or

a high school drop out living on welfare.  You are in the same class when you use that ugly word.

I lose so much respect for anyone who uses it. 

I do not use the N word but people are called all kinds of names all the time.  The last I knew America was a free county.  I have heard blacks call people White Trash and it that OK?  Let's worry about our keeping our county safe, having food for on the table, helping each other and finding a cure for cancer, aids, kidney failure etc.  Don't we have better things to do than worry about the N word?  I am sick of the subject and do devote a entire show to it is something I will not bother to watch.  I think shows like this create a stir in both whites and blacks and let's make better use of our time.

September 6, 2008, 1:40 pm CDT

People need to look this word up in webster's

I was born and raised in the south and now I live in the north I wear that word more here than I ever did down there. I can not believe that in 2008 people still use that word and the white people say to their african american friends don't they know it makes them look under educated and cheap.No one in my family uses that word and we have been called names our selves we are mixed,but it is white with native american so I have heard half breed all my lfe.We all have the same parts and our blood is the same color no matter what you are it is time for people to act like they have some class and not low class and to show that they have some education behind them and I have to say to the people that complain about other races besides whites being here I would like to know what tribe you came from to claim this land as you!!!

September 6, 2008, 2:08 pm CDT

The issue of racism

Quote From: ryeclan

It seems to me that when there is conflict with an African American and a white person that the white person gets attacked that they are racist. Could it be the other way around? Just wondering if anyone else feels this way?
I do agree to an extent.  Many times the whites are accused of being racist.  I don't understand why the race card has to be played at all.  It's just the way shallow, uneducated people behave  I'm a woman and I don't  appreciate being referred to as a bitch or a ho but what are you gonna do?  We're going to continue to have this problem until people learn how to become colorblind when it comes to race and show some respect for their fellow man (or woman).

September 6, 2008, 2:42 pm CDT

The racism issue

I am so tired of this subject!  Only uneducated, illiterate people use the N word.  The same people that refer to woman as "Bs" or "Hs".  No matter what color you are, this language is unacceptable.  But, we will continue to have this problem until everyone becomes colorblind when it comes to race and we start showing more respect for one another no matter what your race.  Don't you think it's time to let go of old outdated modes of thought and get on with more pressing issues  like how we can help each other.

September 6, 2008, 2:56 pm CDT

Note to Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, I love your show and have immense respect for you but, in this instance, don't you think you're helping to keep this fire burning.  Aren't we beating a dead horse here?  There are much more important issues in this world than what name some shallow, uneducated, neanderthal happens to be calling you.  I am so tired of this subject.  How many centuries are we going to have to endure this same old worn out subject.  I'm a woman and I don't like being called the "B" word or the"H" word, but I don't dwell on it.  PLEASE!  Let it go!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last