Message Boards

Topic : 09/12 The N-Word Debate

Number of Replies: 2299
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, September 04, 2008, 12:16:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
This two-syllable expression is arguably the most divisive word in society. Dr. Phil tackles this touchy topic with help from a panel of outspoken luminaries: civil rights activist Rev. Al Sharpton; legendary comedian and writer Paul Mooney; CSI actor and author Hill Harper; comedian Sheryl Underwood and conservative radio talk show host Michael Graham. First, is there a double standard that allows African-Americans to use this sensitive word, while non-blacks are forbidden? The debate heats up when Rachel, a white guest, says she calls her husband the N-word all the time. Then, should hip-hop artists be censored or fined for using the N-word in their songs? Becky says rappers promote negative stereotypes with their lyrics, but find out who Rev. Al Sharpton thinks should face the music. Plus, does tone or intent make a difference when using the N-word? See what Dr. Phil thinks and share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 6, 2008, 5:47 am CST

Incredible

I am confused that we are even discussing this in the year 2008.  We just saw this show here in Norway yesterday.  I'm born and raised in the U.S. and can truthfully say I have never used this word.  My African-American friends never used this word between them.  It is such a poisoned word and I am shocked and dissapointed that there are African-Americans that think it's ok to use it.  I remember well the 60's with all the racism and there were many of us white people that fought against this also.  One of the things we all were deeply offended by was the "n" word.  Now many African Americans have taken the word back and embraced it.  I just don't understand it.  Those who use it really need to respect themselves more and show some respect for the history of African Americans.  No....it is NOT a term of endearment, it's nasty, degrading and extremely racist. 

December 30, 2008, 1:11 pm CST

09/12 The N-Word Debate

Quote From: lil_leesa

To begin with, in Australia we only just saw this episode yesterday, so if you were wondering why 'we' are all jumping on here to comment, that is why.

As an intro, I am Australian born female with Lebanese and Cuban heritage who has been the recipient of countless racial slurs throughout my short 20 years of life. However, aside from the recent arousal of the word "terrorist" being hissed generally to people of my colour (I know, ridiculous right?), I find it hard to say that there is a single word throughout history that can match the hatred and power of the 'N' word.

People on the show tried to justify their use of the word by saying it as a "term of endearment". However, the recipients or passers by who witness the use of this word may not feel the same way and may be utterly offended. Justify that.

As was mentioned, there are countless words to show love and affection so why use a word that has/is caused/causing so much pain to others. Even if used in private, and no matter what race you are, you are carrying this word like a disease throughout the years and people will continue to fall victim to it's sting.

Now, for the reason I came on here - The people in the audience that decided to stand on national television and tell Paul Mooney to "get over it" and I also think I heard in there somewhere that "HE didn't experience it", should simply walk themselves right into the ocean. I don't think I have ever been more fired up about that sort of plain ignorance in my life. Even South Park gave the issue more respect in their episode on the subject of the 'N-word' then this woman and her supporters did! Paul Mooney should have had more support when this idiot got on her high horse for her two minutes of fame. I know that if I were there I would have given her a piece of my mind and backed Mooney up... Telling him to get over it! Honestly.

Just when I thought it was all over, another big mouthed moron decides to stand up and tell Mooney that he is "the biggest racist in the room". Somebody stop me! THEN the audience applauds her! Well help me Rhonda! The audience (only those who jumped on this ridiculous bandwagon) that day should have realized that to other countries, like us, they represented a small portion of what America thinks of this issue and honestly, the opinions weren't all that admirable!

Next time that the audience member (or any of her supporters), looks in the mirror and complains of something superficial, or gets upset or angry over petrol prices or forgetting a grocery bag, I hope, I truly hope that someone will walk up to her and tell her to GET OVER IT! The things that people carry on about day to day are NOTHING compared to the issues surrounding the "N-word" and it's meaning/s.
the "people in the audience" the ones that did not step up to a microphone, spoke because they were part of the show, so "we" were expected to stand and speak, but your right she should not have told paul mooney to get over it. I agree with that

February 3, 2009, 3:28 am CST

Ban all offensive words

I live in South Africa and only saw this show today (3 February 2009).  I am a white South African and grew up during our apartheid era and feel so ashamed of our previous white people who were so racist.  My country has gone through amazing changes over the past fifteen years and I am very proud of all South Africans who have embraced the change.  However, there is still an element of our (white) people who like to use the "K" word.  It is a terrible word and whenever I hear it I absolutely cringe.  Whether it is used lightly or in a derogatory manner, I cannot abide it.  It is a word that should definitely be banned completely.  I therefore understand why the "N" word is so offensive and should not be used in any context.  I do not think that exceptions should be made for comedians or any others who think it is ok to use this term.

February 3, 2009, 4:26 am CST

Think befire you think

I really have to hand it to all the intellectuals, defenders, rationalists, apologists and radicals. You have all proved that racism is as alive as it ever has been, and goes back to before Moses, but before I hear applause from any quarter, let me state that racism is prevalent in every social grouping. The common perception that it only emanates from the “white people” is complete bull. The fact is that racism or the “race-card” is a politically powerful tool and much too useful to be discarded, however much its ugly existence is bemoaned. It is so ingrained into our psyche that our first order of business when meeting other people is to ascertain what conversation is “politically correct”. How can we ever live as genuine human beings when our daily interactions are conducted from behind a prescribed façade? Is it Ok to refer to another with a word or description that is offensive – NO – NEVER but hell, that’s just common sense, not to mention a blatant display of our own ignorance and insecurity. The same is true for all on the show who showed the same intolerance and prejudice when referring to “the rednecks”, but then I suppose its awright because those folks ain’t like us. 

February 20, 2009, 6:13 am CST

09/12 The N-Word Debate

Quote From: lil_leesa

To begin with, in Australia we only just saw this episode yesterday, so if you were wondering why 'we' are all jumping on here to comment, that is why.

As an intro, I am Australian born female with Lebanese and Cuban heritage who has been the recipient of countless racial slurs throughout my short 20 years of life. However, aside from the recent arousal of the word "terrorist" being hissed generally to people of my colour (I know, ridiculous right?), I find it hard to say that there is a single word throughout history that can match the hatred and power of the 'N' word.

People on the show tried to justify their use of the word by saying it as a "term of endearment". However, the recipients or passers by who witness the use of this word may not feel the same way and may be utterly offended. Justify that.

As was mentioned, there are countless words to show love and affection so why use a word that has/is caused/causing so much pain to others. Even if used in private, and no matter what race you are, you are carrying this word like a disease throughout the years and people will continue to fall victim to it's sting.

Now, for the reason I came on here - The people in the audience that decided to stand on national television and tell Paul Mooney to "get over it" and I also think I heard in there somewhere that "HE didn't experience it", should simply walk themselves right into the ocean. I don't think I have ever been more fired up about that sort of plain ignorance in my life. Even South Park gave the issue more respect in their episode on the subject of the 'N-word' then this woman and her supporters did! Paul Mooney should have had more support when this idiot got on her high horse for her two minutes of fame. I know that if I were there I would have given her a piece of my mind and backed Mooney up... Telling him to get over it! Honestly.

Just when I thought it was all over, another big mouthed moron decides to stand up and tell Mooney that he is "the biggest racist in the room". Somebody stop me! THEN the audience applauds her! Well help me Rhonda! The audience (only those who jumped on this ridiculous bandwagon) that day should have realized that to other countries, like us, they represented a small portion of what America thinks of this issue and honestly, the opinions weren't all that admirable!

Next time that the audience member (or any of her supporters), looks in the mirror and complains of something superficial, or gets upset or angry over petrol prices or forgetting a grocery bag, I hope, I truly hope that someone will walk up to her and tell her to GET OVER IT! The things that people carry on about day to day are NOTHING compared to the issues surrounding the "N-word" and it's meaning/s.
read the march issue of the national enquirer, one of the ladies, the one payl mooney tell to shut up, is in there talking about her side of the story.

February 28, 2009, 10:39 pm CST

14 kids or bust.

I have been listening to Nadia as well as the whole world. She is not listening to us. She has a closed mine. If that the case, she will probably have more kids later.The doctors need to go in and tie her tubes so she can't have any more kids.

She is bull headed when her own mother can't get through to her.

If she gets the kids, she will coming wanting more help and money in the future. You tried to tell her the country is in a shambles, she still did not hear you.I still say adopt those kids out while they still have a chance at a life. She will have no life for them. Wants to finish college, how with what. She wanted to be famous but this is in a negative way. Turn it around and have her adopt the kids to good couples who can't have kids with the understanding she can still see them.

She is a dog---dogs have litters and they don't keep all of their litters, so why should she.

June 1, 2009, 8:55 am CDT

-N- Word Debate

I find this ironic , that this debate lingers , and even carries any weight . In my son's circle of friends , the African American youth refer to each other , using the -N- word as a greeting . Heck , my son is a Caucasion youth , and they have refered to him using the -N- word . When used so liberally , how can anyone put so much emphasis on any one word .

In my honest opinion , I think there are those factions out there , that go out of their way to keep putting up walls , and causing divisions amongst races . I mean I know who I am , and I'm comfortable in that . If you were to address me as a ;" Red-Neck , honky , white trash ", I might look at you a little funny , but that would be the extent of it .

If you know in truth who you are , no word should be able to hinder you . Think back to your youth , kids can be pretty mean spirited at times . Sometimes that is because whatever hits their brain , comes right out their mouth . I believe their are a lot more hurtful words , than just this one , that are tossed about without thought , on a daily basis . 

Everyone does realize , words only have POWER , WHEN WE GIVE RISE TO THEM . 

June 8, 2009, 7:18 am CDT

Where are the responses?

Ae there any posts about this show? I can't find any!

August 18, 2009, 11:14 pm CDT

N word nonsense

Quote From: cornell74

I would like to personally apologize to anyone I offended by what I said on the show. I guess I should have kept my honesty to myself. Dr. Phil told us we were going to be on stage debating on the show. At the last minute we were told we were going to be in the audience. It was to my understanding I was going to be given more time to explain my feelings but I was not. I had hoped by flying over 2000 miles I could use my honesty and my history in an effort to explain that saying the word may be wrong, yes but does not make you a racist. I love people of all colors and I am truly sorry I couldn't have more time to make myself clearer.
Hi, you start of f having Al Sharpton on. He is a notorious racist. Remember Tawana Brawley? I know a police officer who was assigned to protect him for some event . He said he overheard him talking about "crackers" or some equally offensive anti white words.
Two of those on your panel were extremely agitated and perhaps they have been affected by racism but hey, we all have. I was passed over for the telephone company because they hired their "Quota" of whites for the time period. I was detained in Mississippi when I had long hair and a New york accent. Like the woman in the audience said, "Get over it". Now I am a poor missionary Pastor helping the poor in Payatas, Philippines and the guy on your panel who can't get over it is rich. AWWW>
Anyway, Sometimes words are used to hurt one person but not another. If you know the guy who just cut you off is fat you might yell "You fat idiot". Does that mean that you hate fat people? Of course not. People will try to identify you and then hit you with a derogatory comment that may be personal. Nigger, cracker, ginny, spic, chink... When I was a boy I went to Holy Rosary school in Bed-Stuy. My brother and I were probably the only two white kids left as we were  from the poorest family. My friends called me nigger and I called them cracker. Go figure. We got along great. As a matter of fact, when one 4th grade went to fight the other, the leader of the other grade wanted to fight me because I was white. I never forget my friend saying, "no, you'll fight me" the other kid said, "you stickin' up for this cracker" my friend (James Bond btw) said "this cracker's my brother." How's that for friendship.

There are things that stick with you. But each generation forgets more and more. Within one more generation prejudice should be gone by all but the very evil minded folks on all sides.

The name means shiftless, lazy and no good. I hope we never can find someone who identifies with that word.

First | Prev | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | 229 | 230 | Next Page | Last Page