Message Boards

Topic : 09/12 The N-Word Debate

Number of Replies: 2299
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, September 04, 2008, 12:16:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
This two-syllable expression is arguably the most divisive word in society. Dr. Phil tackles this touchy topic with help from a panel of outspoken luminaries: civil rights activist Rev. Al Sharpton; legendary comedian and writer Paul Mooney; CSI actor and author Hill Harper; comedian Sheryl Underwood and conservative radio talk show host Michael Graham. First, is there a double standard that allows African-Americans to use this sensitive word, while non-blacks are forbidden? The debate heats up when Rachel, a white guest, says she calls her husband the N-word all the time. Then, should hip-hop artists be censored or fined for using the N-word in their songs? Becky says rappers promote negative stereotypes with their lyrics, but find out who Rev. Al Sharpton thinks should face the music. Plus, does tone or intent make a difference when using the N-word? See what Dr. Phil thinks and share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 6, 2008, 3:15 pm CDT

Love will prevail

I`m 65 years old and just retired. I was married to a wonderful woman for 28 years and we had 2 boys and a girl "Who I might add are very sucessful in their lives and Its because we went through their lives with them, and never,never forgot to love them and tell them so everyday.In 1991 my wife "at that time developed breast cancer, and after a short period of time informed me that she didn`t love me anymore and wanted to seperate. " I was devistated ", but went along with her wishes and did eveything in my power to maintain a civil relationship with her, however "She just wanted to be alone" There is a great deal mor to this story, however I mention it to make a point. There are no guarntees in this life and people change over the years, Everything always looks better when you respect someone, and look up to them, however we are human, and humans do human things, such as seperating, divorcing, and being unhappy with their situation.

Just to let evertone know I was alone for 6 years and I`ve been with my cirrent wife for 10 years and I`ve never been so much in LOVE.

Al Landry

September 6, 2008, 3:22 pm CDT

Let it go

Dr.Phil, can you not find any other topics for your show?  I agree that much of this is a forum for reverse discrimination.  I agree with many of the others who have written thus far, why is it that a black person can use the word, but as soon as a person of another race uses it, it's offensive?  Everytime this subject is given attention, it gives it more power.  Keeping it in the forefront is not the way to end it.  I am tired of giving Sharpton and all of the people who have to have a soap box...just let it go.  By the way, I am of hispanic and native american descent.  I have never felt prejudice in my whole life, until I moved to the midwest.  I was not accepted by my black employees because I was "white".  Once they were told that I was actually hispanic, then I was ok...come on.

September 6, 2008, 3:23 pm CDT

get the real meaning

Its to bad NOBODY looked up the real meaning of the word n*****...it means 'POOR PEOPLE' or the wrong side of the track that is the VERY first meaning when it was said back in the 1700 and if thats the case the I being a white person am a n***** too, cuz I'm poor. It just got out of hand when the 'BLACK ' people decided to use it for themselves. I think that people in this unites states are so stupid, that they take things out of content JUST to satify themselves and the ones that are not proud of who they are are the stupid ones ...like my DEAF 'Black ' brother in law said he is a' Black American' cuz he WORKS! and if you call him what the so called black people call themselves he will cut you down cuz he didn't just move from Africa. Then he says those that  think they have to call themselves african american are lazy.

September 6, 2008, 3:59 pm CDT

The N word

We are referred to as White American. Those who call themselves African American confuse me. How many of them were born in Africa? Although they might have come from ancestors who originated in Africa many years ago. I came from a line that originated in Scotland and England many years ago but I don't refer to myself as Scottish/English American. I am a white American and have no prejudice toward the black race!

September 6, 2008, 4:16 pm CDT

THE N WORD

Dr. Phil:  All the hoopla about using the "N" word is very simple.  DON'T USE IT.  I want to know, how does it make an individual feel by using this word?  Charity starts at home and spreads abroad, OH WELL, the "N" word started at home and spread everywhere.  It doesn't matter what ethnic group uses it, STOP USING IT NOW and  stop justifying the use of it.  There are more pressing issues in America, ie, unemployment, food prices, housing. I am a 62 year old Black female, and have been guilty of using the "N" word, and it came back to haunt me.  Now, that word is not in my vocabulary, because I saw the grief it caused people.   

September 6, 2008, 6:22 pm CDT

09/12 The N-Word Debate

we seem to have an 11th commandment--thou shall not use the word 'n*****'. one of the ten commandments states--thou shall not use God's name in vain. it's like a sin--right? but, you can say 'God damn this' and 'God damn that' ANYWHERE and it's ok. BUT, use the 'n-word' and you can lose your job, lose your friends and fans, lose your business, a career, maybe your home and practically your life.  why is that? if we use ethnic slurs on other ethnic groups not much is said.

if african americans use the 'n-word'--their just ignorant people who don't have any respect for anyone in their race or themselves. they need to stop it! they need to set an example to the younger people that it's NOT ok. respect starts within yourself. when african americans call each other that they are saying--it's ok. and the rappers with their 'n*****'--i don't care HOW you say it--it's the same word. stop your ignorance. and i don't buy the--'we can call each other that--it's ok'. it's not ok and it's not necessary. the less you use that word--the less we will hear it. no double standard--respect is respect.

September 6, 2008, 6:56 pm CDT

why Al sharpton

Why  is it Dr Phil that we have to listen to anything Al Sharpton has to say, I can change the channel and probably will, Because this man promotes racism any small thing happens to an african american He will blow it out of proportion. I just wish people like him would wake up and realize this is 2008. Im sure there are things happening to white people  on the same matter but you don't hear how that is played out as if it were a black person.  We all should remember that the white have proved over and over again of how sorry there race had been treated in the days of slavery. This is not like it was in those days  and it never will so why does he keep on with this subject and why does his race continue to use the N word as if was a normal way of speaking this also goes to the white people. I have family in my back round that are German if the word Natzi  comes up in my presents I am not offended because I have roots in Germany. I live in the present day and time and that word just goes over the top of my head and the thought about it never comes up. This is the way  they should be live in the present time they have nothing to do about the past except keep bringing it  up and as each generation that comes along they are taught about how it used to be for there ancestors, they should teach them that everybody is suppose to be equal, not living with revenge in there heart.

September 6, 2008, 7:02 pm CDT

you are so right

Quote From: cillysue

I am 61 years ol, grew up in the suburbs of Los Angeles and never experienced racisim.  I wasn't taught it, I just never knew about it.  I learned about it when I married a militarty man and lived all over the place.  When I learned that a friend of mine from Florida would not get on a bus if the driver was black, it made me laugh.  I have never heard of anything so ridiculous.  Then my black neighbors told me what they had gone thorough when growing up, couldn't try on clothes they wanted to buy, etc.  I was mad.  I know my mind, and If I had been born black and lived in their area I would be dead.  Now I am a very proud and happy gramma of a black grandson and he considers himswelf black.  I try to teach him all I can about his history, try to keep him from going into the gangs (white or black or hispanic, asian).  I want him to carry himself with pride, be smart, make the right choices and tell him how it is.  He has a great sense of humor, manners, and he does not even think about "what" his friends are.  I see lots of people looking at him then looking at me and I know it is because he is so handsome, how could it possibly be anything else?

Children live what they learn.

Children do live with what they learn you can see that in any family the way there parents were brought up is the way there children will be

September 6, 2008, 7:52 pm CDT

Grow up!!!

At some point in life we all hear something we don't like. Well if you don't like what you hear then don't listen. You know that is why I love America "We are free to say what we want". This is a free country! I do not want to live in Communism like in China. So I will say again people grow up!!! Or should I say grow some B****.

September 6, 2008, 8:21 pm CDT

09/12 The N-Word Debate

I f*****' tired of hearing about it.  Rarely -- so rarely that I do not recall when the last time I heard it was --do I hear unless the person saying it is BLACK.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last