Message Boards

Topic : 09/12 The N-Word Debate

Number of Replies: 2299
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, September 04, 2008, 12:16:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
This two-syllable expression is arguably the most divisive word in society. Dr. Phil tackles this touchy topic with help from a panel of outspoken luminaries: civil rights activist Rev. Al Sharpton; legendary comedian and writer Paul Mooney; CSI actor and author Hill Harper; comedian Sheryl Underwood and conservative radio talk show host Michael Graham. First, is there a double standard that allows African-Americans to use this sensitive word, while non-blacks are forbidden? The debate heats up when Rachel, a white guest, says she calls her husband the N-word all the time. Then, should hip-hop artists be censored or fined for using the N-word in their songs? Becky says rappers promote negative stereotypes with their lyrics, but find out who Rev. Al Sharpton thinks should face the music. Plus, does tone or intent make a difference when using the N-word? See what Dr. Phil thinks and share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 7, 2008, 11:26 am CDT

09/12 The N-Word Debate

Quote From: judyndskie

I agree with you about Al. He is always looking for ways to stir the pot and dig up stuff that happened years ago. Thats why racism still remains today. We are all equal today and blacks get the same treatment that whites get. We had no control over the slavery thing. That was also years ago. Whats with a word? Maybe the 'N' word really does mean 'Poor' If thats the case, I am a 'N' as well.And I always wondered why it is when a baby is born to a white and black parent, why is the child called a black child? Isn't he 50% white and 50% black, so why say you are black instead of saying you are white? I have black friends and I have white friends and have no problem with most blacks, but they too can sometimes have attitudes towards us just like anybody else. Even the Bible has words that we don't like to be called, but they are just words and whats with a word anyway? The Bible talks about Heathans, sluggards, drunks,harlots etc. A word only defines something and maybe the 'N' word describes being poor. There are always going to be words that we don't like said or being called but somebody had to name all of these things on earth and some of the words just got out of context. I don't think 'Negro' sounds any better than 'N*****' and it rymes with tigger,digger,bigger,etc. I beleive it's the way the word has been used that actually makes it sound like a bad word. Hope you get my point.
I too agree about the use of Al Sharpton.  I am a black woman, and I am offended that society believes that blacks need to have "leaders" to speak for them.  What other race has that?  Al Sharptons views should not broad brush a complete race.  Whenever I hear the word being used, I just consider the source.  People are going to speak how they want to.  I have challenged my two male black childeren to be "better" than what society expects them to be.  To reach beyond what the statistics say.  We need to face the fact that racism still exsists and more than likely will always exsists, however, it is not an excuse, or reason for poor actions.  We each need to be responsible for our own behavior and realize that God loves us all, no matter what the color of our skin.  I would have much rather seen Dr. Phil have TD Jakes on to discuss this issue.  Al Sharpton...come on, he isn't going to get much accomplished with Sharpton and as long as hosts with power like Dr. Phil keep bringing on people like Al Sharpton it may be great ratings and that is about it.

September 7, 2008, 11:48 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Debate Doctor N Phil Word.  What is the N word of the day? I donot understand that. What are you talking--

about? Some people do use the N-Word once  in the while. See you on Friday September 12th, 2008.------

Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 7, 2008, 11:53 am CDT

discrimination

For many years, I have been offended by the N word and I am white.  However, I think we are the ones being discriminated against.  Why is that there can be organizations just for blacks but not for whites.  For instant the Negro College Fund, Miss American?  I will never understand why so many concessions are made for different races.  Not just blacks.  If you want to live here, live as an American

September 7, 2008, 1:57 pm CDT

you missed their point

Quote From: kisaiah

I seriously don't believe the N word can be aligned with calling a white child fat.  Are you serious?  The problem being is that you can loose weight.  You cannot change the color of your skin.  I hear the word and however it is used to me is un called for. 
you missed the point or were you not wanting to catch it? every name calling is uncalled for being black doesn't make it worse. are YOU serious? The topic of the discussion is not if its OK to call a black the n word the discussion is why blacks can use it but whites cant. no one is saying its OK to call a black the n word.

September 7, 2008, 3:42 pm CDT

No Excuses

There are a lot of long, verbose remarks illicited by this question: is it or is it not all right under any circumstances for anyone to use the "N" word.  I am flabbergasted that this is even a question, as a white, sixty year old female who watched the Selma riots and the Freedom riders and Dr. Martin Luther King. NO, NO, NO, it is NEVER, NEVER,EVER all right to use this word which was begun as a demeaning, de-humanizing epithet and has always remained that way, regardless of any misguided individuals of ANY race with convoluted theories of taking back power, or brother hood or whatever.  It's hideous, and will always remain so. The black population of this country should have a chance to ask their enslaved ancestors if they think the "N" word can be rendered hip or hop or cool or whatever. What would they really say to that.  What's wrong is WRONG.  No one gets to use that word for any of God's children. Period, the END.

September 7, 2008, 3:58 pm CDT

Scary

Quote From: ryeclan

It seems to me that when there is conflict with an African American and a white person that the white person gets attacked that they are racist. Could it be the other way around? Just wondering if anyone else feels this way?

I feel the exact same way and here's why.  Last week my Grandson and me were driving to town and this african american lady in front of us just stopped short for no reason at all.  I slammed on my brakes and the lady behind me did the same but veered around her and blew her horn at her.  As I went around her she screamed out of her window  'YOU WHITE TRASH".  I was mortified.  I could not believe she yelled at me and I did not do a dang thing.  More so, for what she said "WHITE TRASH.  My Grandson could not believe his ears.  He said Grammy M, what is wrong with that person?  I said "honey I don't know maybe she had a really bad day.  I did not want to get into the racist  thing with him.  He is 13 years old and knows about these things but I refused to let him show how much that made me angry.  He said that was a terrible thing for her to say to you.  I said yes it was but that's how some people are I guess.  I wanted so very much to get into detail with him, but chose not to.

Then, standing in line at the grocery store, this african american person age approximately 28 said to her friend, these white crackers are going to be in for a big surprise when Obama becomes President.  That was not the first, second or even third time I heard that remark.  Now, that is as far as I am concerned very racist and  even more frightening.  I have heard other people say they've been hearing the same thing.  I am a Democrat but let me tell you something as horrible as this is going to be for me, I am voting for McCain.  I truly do not want to do that but on the other hand, Sara Palin is fantastic from what I have heard about her, saw her speech on the RNC.  I actually wanted Senator Clinton for President but Gov. Palin as VP works just as well. 

Anyway, yes, this N-word thing is absurd.  What about us white people beling called white trash and cracker?  Should we become offended and start a White coalition group like the NAACP and when we are called names we have someone to run to?  I am not prejudice just really angry and concerned about the state of affairs this world is going to.

September 7, 2008, 6:44 pm CDT

THE N-WORD DEBATE

Quote From: manofgoods

I really think that people whoever uses the N-word (no matter what race you are) is really disgraceful & it disrespects African-Americans. Rappers, etc., shouldn't even use the N-word in the first place in their music lyrics. That's why whenever I listen to rap, etc., I usually go for the Edited versions of it, whatever it comes from buying CD's, or downloads. Plus we wonder why kids are saying things that they shouldn't be saying. It's 2008 now, soon to be 2009.

And I'm a African-American man myself (I'm only 26 years of age). It's time for this world to grow up, & quit living in the past.

I TRULEY AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT. I'M A WHT FEMALE,BUT I TRULEY THINK THIS IS UNCALLED FOR. GOD MADE US ALL EQUAL. WE WILL ALL BE THE SAME IN HEAVEN. AND THIS IS THE 20TH CENTURY.

September 7, 2008, 7:43 pm CDT

Rachel from the show

Just watch when Al Sharpton takes what I say during the show and totally twists them around. It will blow your mind.  I did not say what he is implying I said. I dislike this man very much.  By the way he is not a Reverend in my eyes.

September 7, 2008, 7:46 pm CDT

Rachel from the show

Quote From: cornstarch

For many years, I have been offended by the N word and I am white.  However, I think we are the ones being discriminated against.  Why is that there can be organizations just for blacks but not for whites.  For instant the Negro College Fund, Miss American?  I will never understand why so many concessions are made for different races.  Not just blacks.  If you want to live here, live as an American
Your right we are discriminated against as whites. They have a magazine called Ebony, I wonder if we can have one called Ivory. I say we start crying racism and steel the race card from them. I am tired of hearing it and am ready to fight back

September 8, 2008, 6:28 am CDT

Obama

Quote From: cornell74

I feel its very important for every one to know before the show airs that i am not raciest.

Actually my 3rd great grandfather was a black slave his name was Jake Pollard.

I feel the 'N' word has evolved into what we consider a cuss word. Back in the slavery days the word was not considered a cuss word, it was used to demoralize the black race.

Unfortunately the word is never going to go away. But what is going away is the meaning behind it.

We will never completely have a word free of discrimination, so some people will still use the word in hate crimes, but that still doesn't mean that its not loosing its meaning. The only reason it keeps its strength is because most African Americans refuse to let the past go. I admit I should not swear, swearing is bad and that includes the N word but I guess I haven't learned to control my tongue like most of the world. I just love the white Americans who say 'I would never use that word'. They are so fn full of it its not funny. Those are the people I would be weary of because they put on an act. With me what you see is what you get, I am opened book.  Yes I use it in fun toward my husband but I have no racial thoughts behind it. I have no problem with the color of skin, I have a problem with the person behind the color black or whit e. Blacks that have an attitude toward whites I have a problem with and whites that pretend they something their not I have a problem with. Let the word take on a new meaning people its OK to let  of the past.  Or will people aways fight about it because its used as a great race card, or a great conversation piece. Does anyone care that blacks are always attacking the white race about something we had nothing to do with. I'm honestly exhausted from being poked at for something I didn't do. I'm sorry my ancestors had to go through such great pain and I'm sad for him but for the blacks under 50 give me a break you were not there and I don't feel sorry for you. I can tell you this I get discriminated against by blacks everyday for being white. Little do they know I come from the same chain but I guess because of the color of my skin they assume I'm all white. If blacks want the word to stop, sorry it wont because not only do whites use it but blacks use it the most. If you want the word to go away stop making a big deal about it and it will. Its like being in school and someone kid is name calling you, once they see it dint bother you it stops. What do we tell our kids, we say ignore them and they will see they are not getting to you and they will stop. Well children here is my advice to you, IGNORE IT! Stop picking on the white race. Now for all of you people who didn't get on the show and are screaming at the computer dieing to reply back to me, post your picture and your b**** maybe you can be the next guest on The Dr. Phil Show! P.S Isn't it a black man running for president? Just checking..

Actually, I believe Obama is of a mixed race.  Aren't most of us?  People need to stop seeing the color of someones skin and try to look deeper.

And, you're right about ignoring the word.  If people like Al Sharpton AND Dr. Phil would stop bringing up the subject, it might just lose its power.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last