Message Boards

Topic : Talk About the Show

Number of Replies: 782
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 05, 2008, 03:43:54 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Want to get something off your chest about the show? Do you agree or disagree with Dr. Phil's advice to a guest? What topics would you like to see on an upcoming episode? Sound off here!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 12, 2008, 1:07 pm CDT

i cant believe some of the stuff i heard.

I really think alot of that was over rated! I mean come people, the N word is just that a word, let it go already, as someone else had said "black" people love to use slavery as an excuse for everything, the town i live in has few "blacks" in it and they seem to always be causing some sort of trouble some where. I have met few "blacks" there were honest to goodness good people and the fact of that matter is they moved here from another town. So i guess what im saying is dont use the slavery as an excuse, and there really are good in all people white black or whatever they maybe. I really disagree with white people made them that way as mr.moony had said i thought he was a very rude person, and the radio station guy i dont recall his name i didnt agree with him alot either, he made all white people sound like KKK members or rednecks that we are not graunted there are some out there but to me the word Redneck is just as bad as the N word but, the fact of the matter is we ALL MUST GROW AND LET GO!

September 12, 2008, 1:09 pm CDT

the N word

Quote From: happimommy

I give you kudos for posting this message. You have said what many of us are thinking and just have not said.  They expressed to me the want or need not to be seen as different than me, BUT at every chance that difference was used as an excuse. It is even used as a way to get a step up. My state sets up funds for minority students. Just because there are more white people does not mean I was less deserving of a step up into a college education!  My black friends went to college, I did not get to until my adult years when I could afford it myself. Their ancestors have fought to be equal, but they continue to separate themselves. There are legitimate claims of racism towards us all. But, I am talking about the ones who use it as a crutch instead of  an impowerment to improve their lives.

Dear Dr.Phil, I am watching the show, and all I can figure, me being black, is the fact that the WHITE man gave us that word and made it ours.  It is our own personal word and it's kinda of hard to explain to non-blacks.  It was said to be hurtful in the beginning and we grew tough skins about the word.  If folks of other  races use the word, it is most asurred to be hurtful,  but  as blacks we have an unspoken understanding by every tone in which the word is delivered.   IT IS GIFT GIVEN TO US BLACKS BY THE WHITE MAN AND NO BODY ELSE SHOULD BE ENTITLED TO USE IT, BUT LIKE IT'S BEEN THROUGH THE AGES, IT WAS ALWAYS USED TO BE DEMEANING.  IT IS OUR OWN PERSONAL WORD.  THE STING IS NOT AS BAD WHEN IT IS SAID TO EACH OTHER, BUT SOMETIME IN THE DELIVERY OF THE WORD TO EACH OTHER THAT SAME STING APPLIES.  DIFFERENCE IS, WE CAN DISTIQUISH THE LEVEL OF STING, BECAUSE IT 'S OUR {BLACK FOLKS} PERSONAL GIFT, AND IT REALLY SHOULDN'T BE NO REAL BIG SURPRISE HOW WE REACT TO IT.

September 12, 2008, 1:11 pm CDT

The N Word

I grew up on a farm in Michigan and we had several black workers that came with their families and would work so hard morning til night in the fields. I was quite young but I do remember using the N word and my mother turning to me and telling me that was not acceptable and it had a tone of disrespect. Of all the lessons I had learned over the 68 years of my life, that one has stuck. I dont care how you intend for the word to be used, it is disrespectful. Nothing more was needed then and that is all that is needed today. Respect people, dont care what color the skin is, just show respect to everyone.

September 12, 2008, 1:11 pm CDT

N WORD DEBATE

WHY WOULD ANYONE USE THAT WORD ALONG WITH ANY OTHER WORD THAT IS NEGATIVE,

IT IS NAME CALLING. WE TEACH OUR CHILDREN TO NOT CALL NAMES. WHEN TALKING TO ANOTHER ADULT, OUR SPOUSE OR LOVED ONE, NAME CALLING IS A BIG "NO NO". SHOULD THAT NOT HAVE BE THE POINT OF THE ENTIRE SHOW.

September 12, 2008, 1:14 pm CDT

N Word

I work with young black children everyday. They use the "N" word like any other name-word ( buddy, friend, homey) in conversation everyday. They laugh, joke around and seem to be VERY okay with it. As their teacher, I correct them and direct them to use more appropriate language at school. On the spot...they stop, but I never really see them self-correct and change that behavior. It concerns me very much as I KNOW it is learned behavior and I know they aren't  learning it at school. Therefore it must becoming from their home environment. Confusing signals are being sent about the use of this word. If a white student uses it toward a black student, we are suspending them from school and calling parents in for conferences ( the correct response). When black children use the word, we ignore it, or make ineffective efforts to redirect their behavior.

Bottom Line:

If mom and dad are doing it; so are the kids.

Frustrated...

Although the show was about the use of the "N" word, the core issue, as usual, is that of racism. We can no longer in this day and age pretend that the only colors in our world are black and white. There is a tremendous history here between two cultures, of that we all agree. But the reality of our times is that the largest amount of discrimination is based upon only one color: Green. A woman in the audience stated she clutches her purse when passing black people...but I believe if she were more honest, she would state that she was scared of black "street" people, an image that brings about connotations of poverty and desparation. I would venture to guess that if she were walking past a group of poor-looking white youths, she would act no differently. Whether dressed in bling or flannel, drooping pants or camos, the fear of today is directed toward the poor, and presumably, desparate. Especially in groups, especially youths. Ever seen "Cops"? I believe the races get equal time, although the economic classes are represented disproportunately.

There are those that would say that your guests on the show today... ALL OF THEM... are people of means and do not really understand the struggles that exist today. And they may not be wrong. Some of your guests may need to look deeper into why they carry loads that are not theirs to bear with such anger. I appreciate those who are passionate, but anger may not be appropriate.

Bottom line, people judge you based on how you present yourself. You will be judged everytime you interact with someone, but even those that have pre-conceived notions about particular ethinicities will judge you as an individual. You will either support their pre-conceived notions, or become yet another exception, another reason for them to ditch their beliefs. Be the change you want to see in the world. Period.

Use of the N word Show

I really think the reason why so many white people do not understand why it is said that they cannnot use the N word is that white people are not really used to being told that they cannot do something.  Secondly, we have been debating about this issues for years and I do not ever see it being resolved.  I am a black mother of one daughter and just like Hill Harper said, our culture is used to taking something negative and turning it to a positive. 

White people gave this word to us, and if we choose to use it, whether it be in a good manner or bad one, it is our business! Just know that a white person cannot!  That is just the way it is.  I personally have not ever seen or heard a white person use the N word in any other manner but a negative one. So they cannot distiguish on how to say the word.  Not like black people can.  That is why most feel that white people using the word is so negative and should not be used by them.

Again, I know most white people do not like that explanation, only because they are not used being told they cannnot do so, but just like I know how to dress appropriately for an job interview and I know when to use the word and when not too.  Banning the word is not going to solve this problem, and there is no real way to justify it to non-blacks.  It is our word and we can do with it what we want.

Now, I am not saying I condone the way some of our young people use the word as in records or other places, there is a certain appropriateness that should be attached to the use of word, and that comes from the home.  It should taught and explained to our younger generations the implications of the word and what it can mean when used in mixed company and in public places. 

September 12, 2008, 1:15 pm CDT

the n word debate

i was so disgusted with the way paul mooney displaced himself.  He creates this image of ignorates and thats is way racism is still alive. People see that behavior and think negative and then place that negative feeling with a catagory. black person attracts women, yelling and unable to have a  debate without getting upset and just looking a fool. other races see that and a sterotyoe begins grated that is not ok and they have ignorace as well, but its a circle. i by no means is a racist, i have an african american husband and a mixed child.  I use the n word rarley but still do in private. i would never dare to use it in public. how many people would do the same things they do in private in public. most cant say they would, you maybe use inapproiate words in the bedroom but its hard to belive you would say it out and about around others. i think the n word is ok in private thats your business. you are only in control of your life you choose weather to stop the cycle or let it keep going. i pray that we can come  together as people and learn what really matters in our lives.....

kayla

September 12, 2008, 1:18 pm CDT

Talk About the Show

Quote From: debi5dash30

I am so frustrated about this topic.When the one lady was talking to the Black man on the subject of him calling himself a slave so to speak, he came up with that we were the ones who brought him here.If I had been her I would have said then if you don't like it here go back to where you came from and make you own country the way you want it.I'm so tired of the Black people blaming us for what our  long passed  relatives did.I grew up into a very small town in up state New York.And was raised by parents who taught us to love everyone.And some of my BEST FRIENDS are colored.And I wouldn't want it any other way.We have talked for hours over this subject.And the only way thing that we came up with was just respect each other and do what God wants for all of us.And that is to love one another and stop all this nonsense.Grow up America we are all one.

I am also sick of hearing  some of the black race using  what took place in the 1800's as and accuse to justify their hated toward the white race..It's time for eveyone to get over themselves and grow up and stop making accuses for what is wrong in their  lives.

September 12, 2008, 1:19 pm CDT

The N Word

Today's show was all about the N word and whether or not it should be used anymore.

I guess I was suprised that there was actually a show about it.  Growing up, sure i heard the n word here and there and pretty much ignored it. I grew up as a military brat and have interacted with so many different people, cultures and have been to a number of different states and countries....unfortunately not everyone has had the experiences that I have and have been able to grow and learn from those experiences.....and have the ability to just ignore things of that nature.....

I was pretty appalled at the fact that white people actually have the gall to call anyone the n word.  As a white woman i would not use that word even if someone paid me to do so....the n word along with other words are extremely discriminatory and degrading.....

i think that what we should do as an entire country is just think about it first....think about whether or not you would appreciate someone calling you a name or even better...calling your mother or father or grandmother a horrible name. We need to take the time and consider everyones feelings.

History is a part of our lives because it tells us what has happened in the past....We should not let it carry on in our day to day lives...that is why it is called history......we as a people lived it,  wrote the book, and should have learned from it.... 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last