Message Boards

Topic : Talk About the Show

Number of Replies: 782
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 05, 2008, 03:43:54 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Want to get something off your chest about the show? Do you agree or disagree with Dr. Phil's advice to a guest? What topics would you like to see on an upcoming episode? Sound off here!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 12, 2008, 1:23 pm CDT

N word

To have an intellectual discussion on such a hot button issue, and to invite comedians such as Paul Mooney and Sheryl Underwood to help 'shed light' on the issue was a farce! Their backgrounds as comedians and their seeming lack of 'polish' precluded them from adding any meaningful insight to the discussion. In the beginning, they were more concerned with getting the audience to laugh then they were with making an intelligent comment. Hill Harper and Al Sharpton were well spoken and composed; they were the types of people that should have been on stage to have a meaningful dialog on the subject. However, Mooney and Underwood were poor choices by the staff of Dr Phil. Do you mean to tell me that there were no other well spoken, composed, intellectual black person that you could have gotten to come to the show? That's crap!

September 12, 2008, 1:26 pm CDT

view of a white woman, way up north!

after watching the show today, I am just as frustrated about this debate as before. Mr. Moony is a prime example of why this country will continue to be divided by color and race. Yes, the African American culture was not treated with dignity and respect as any person should be in the past, and that's where it happened "in the past". Does it still happen? For sure. BUT, if the future generations are chastized for what our ancestors did in the past, how can we ever move forward? Our country can only move forward and grow as a united people if we can walk away from the past mistakes and start with a new mindset. We should never, ever forget what happened but it's time to let it go. It's not my fault people did what they did hundreds of years ago, I wasn't there. So why do I hear the term, "you people", like I was a party to it? my father had a saying, don't worry about cleaning off your neighbor's back porch until you clean off your own. Mr. Moony needs to clean off his own back porch before he tells anyone to clean of theirs. just my humble opinion.

September 12, 2008, 1:27 pm CDT

the "n" word

Your show today was about the "N" word.

I heard lots of other discussions that entered this series, that i wished a path

that we would not keep going down.

i would love to hear the same topic put before a group of elderly black citizens who lived

through the history of the word to see what they think about verbally using the "N" word. 

the people who it most affected.

i believe this word has no place in our society today for any reason.

at the end of your show,  one of the guest pointed to an elderly lady in red sitting in the audience.

i would love to hear what she has to say and others in her age group.

i believe that Martin Luther King would roll over in his grave to hear that we have not come

very far in all these years.  ancestors that were slaves would be hurt that we are still spinning

wheels years later. 

lets her the voice of those directly affected by the "N" word and the negativity that went with it.

i am serious.  i want to know how they feel and i want their race to know how they feel.

maybe that would put some positive light on the subject.

September 12, 2008, 1:28 pm CDT

N-Word Debate

I just watched your show aired on September 12 regarding the N-word. It saddens me, that in this day and time, people feel it's okay to use this word.  To use the comment, rappers and other musicians use it, and that it can be used as a term of endearment, is the most rediculous statement that can be made.

The word originally was used as a way to demean Black people.  To say the word is poisoness is an accurate, true statement.  I don't see the word as a positive.  It can never be used as a positive word especially when it subjects the person it is directed to as demeaning, making an indvidual feel inadequate and substandard.

The comment that was also made was that racisim does not exist is ludicrous. Racisim unfotunately is alive and well, and using the n-word only exemplifies that.  I would never call a white person out of their name, and using that word is a form of calling a Black person out of their name.  It should NEVER be used under no circumstances. The word should be listed in the books only, and never uttered to another person.

For the woman who said slavery is gone and we need to "get over it"! Is she serious??!! Apparently, she has no idea what that has done to Black people as a race, and that we as a whole can never forget about our ancestors who came here in the bottom of slave ships and held against our will.  She should do the research before having such a cavelier attitude about our history.

Thanks so much for bringing this matter to light.

N-Word

I am so happy Dr. Phil had this show.  I get very irritated when black people say they "own" the "N" word.  No one owns a word and if they don't like it used by anyone other than who they say can use it then DON'T use it at all. 

I always try to be very considerate of other peoples feelings and if they feel it's offensive coming from me a white woman then they shouldn't allow anyone to use the word.

The N word

I'm a white Caucasian, gay,  french and 50 years old so as you could see I do have a lot minorities in me but I'm very proud of who I am and I just want to tell Dr. Phil and everyone else that there is only one race on this planet and it is the HUMAN RACE.

LIVE AND LET LIVE

Tanks Daniel  

September 12, 2008, 1:40 pm CDT

The N word...

I really think the people of our society today are pretty blind to what is REALLY going on. I just want to start off by saying I was raised not to see colors so in no way am I prejudice of someone because of the color of their skin but to be honest. I've grown up in a generation like no other and as each day that goes by, it gets more scarier and more violent. Being one of the white race who has grown up in the projects dominantly surrounded by blacks, I've basically would like to say I am voicing my opinion more on facts and experiences rather then just what I think or believe. My main question or theme to the topic of this show that was aired today titled The N.... word would be do blacks really stand for the very thing Dr. Martin Luther King stood for. Last time I checked, King did nothing more but give his life for equality. He went through many endeavours just so the blacks could not only be treated equally but have a voice in the American Society. But growing up in a generation to where people my age and younger are influenced the most by music which in return they act the music out since it is "cool" or accepted to be like the rappers. What I'm saying is I base most of the violence our kids are acting out on rap or what I would like to title the "Hip Hip" generation. I have listen to rap for a long time, ever since the days of Ice T til the present and can say I guess I was raised right or somehow someway I never listen nor allowed my actions or thoughts mock the lyrics of the songs. Rappers portray being a gangsta, a thug, dressing with tattoos, pants down pants their rear ends, rebelling against the law and any other authority figure as the way to live and I blame our government for allowing the crap to get so far out of hand. Never mind allowing it on our televisions and radios containing cuss words and other negative impacting words. Just take a look back over the last 40 years and see the major difference in our society and moral of our people and compare it to today. You wouldn't dare find any television channel showing Elvis Presley's hips doing the little wave side to side then but look what they show today with all the cussing. Martin Luther King wanted equality but today's black people have totally lost what his actions, his words, and his battles actually stood for. They can't even go to a Martin Luther King event without fighting each other. No matter what happens, I continue to hear black spreading their hate and racism but yet little to no attention is enlightened on them. I truly feel they are raised to hate the white people because of slavery and how their ancestors were treated but guess what, I'm 28 years old. I  was alive back then so obviously I didn't treat you or your ancestors like that nor did I ever own a slave. So why am I being punished for things I've never had anything to do with? Why do I watch the TV show cops and the black guys always say "you only pulled me over" or "you are only locking me up because I'm black" but never mind their actions that got them pulled over, never mind the 50 page arrest report they have. and never mind the convicted felon has a gun because it's all because their black. I'm beyond sick of hearing "because I'm black". How come we don't have a White Entertainment Television (W.E.T.) channel like the blacks have B.E.T.? Oh if the whites did that, it would be racism uhh? How come I can't get a free ride through college to learn about my white history like the blacks can for black history? How come you don't have any ALL WHITE colleges like you have all black colleges like grambling state? If the N word truly offended blacks like it would me if I was black, then why do they call each other that word? Is that not true ignorance at it's best? Every where I look or turn, I always hear blacks bring their race up. It's got to the point to where they know they can say it to get their way. Rather it's to get a job, a loan, or in sports, it's used for just about everything in life today but what handouts do white males have today? What resources do I have in America being a white conservative male? I would love for a census be taken because if it was, you would see the whites becoming a minority if not already which is reinforcing my opinion that blacks never wanted what Martin Luther King did in equality, they want to not only be the superior race but to turn the roles on the whites in which they are succeeding. Most blacks today our age especially black guys imitated the white race because of their know violence. I shouldn't have to fear anyone just because of their race but in our schools today, if you are white and you don't act or dress black or what is known as "hood" then chances are you are not in the mix nor in the accepted category. Most white girls and guys are acting just as black or if not more black then the actual black people. I know it sounds racist but I believe it's all because of the black "hip hop" culture that has taken over that is making our society as it is. Drugs, violence, being a cheater or a "player" is marked as the way to be and it all originated from that culture. How come blacks can say honky, cracker, or any other racial remark on TV or in person and nothing is ever said or done but the minute the n word is spoken they are ready to jump you, burn your house down or shoot you? How come here in Louisville Ky, 90 percent of the violence surrounding guy violence is in the west end which is dominated by blacks? How come they can't get along and live in harmony with their own kind? Is that what Martin Luther King wanted? I've learned a lot in school and from my own research from people such as: Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King to know that time period would be much better off then what it was if only racism didn't exist but blacks should also be taught that blacks also sold other blacks from Africa to be sold as slaves for finical gain and that just about EVERY race as been discriminated against to also include us Irish people were slaves at one time also but is never taught that here. I remember hearing my former supervisor talk about how they should have Martin Luther King day off with pay and be recognize as a holiday but he never wanted to talk about or touch on Abraham Lincoln but who would Martin Luther King be without Abraham Lincoln and the things he did to free the slaves. I believe slavery started to become to an end thanks to a white guy, Abraham Lincoln but being that he is white that is over looked. I watch sports all my life and I have gorwn up with blacks saying they were discrimated in sports so if you look at them now you would be lucky to find a  white guy in basketball, football anymore..Even Snoop Doggy Dogg being a mutli millionaire still claims he has it so bad because he's black in America but make that "gangsta" work a 9 to 5 for $6.50 a hour if he truly has it so bad. Im just sick of the reverse racism and it's from the blacks now days. The roles have exchanged but no one wants to admit to it since they will get fired or sued. HOW'S ALL THAT FOR THE N WORD?

September 12, 2008, 1:40 pm CDT

The N word...

I really think the people of our society today are pretty blind to what is REALLY going on. I just want to start off by saying I was raised not to see colors so in no way am I prejudice of someone because of the color of their skin but to be honest. I've grown up in a generation like no other and as each day that goes by, it gets more scarier and more violent. Being one of the white race who has grown up in the projects dominantly surrounded by blacks, I've basically would like to say I am voicing my opinion more on facts and experiences rather then just what I think or believe. My main question or theme to the topic of this show that was aired today titled The N.... word would be do blacks really stand for the very thing Dr. Martin Luther King stood for. Last time I checked, King did nothing more but give his life for equality. He went through many endeavours just so the blacks could not only be treated equally but have a voice in the American Society. But growing up in a generation to where people my age and younger are influenced the most by music which in return they act the music out since it is "cool" or accepted to be like the rappers. What I'm saying is I base most of the violence our kids are acting out on rap or what I would like to title the "Hip Hip" generation. I have listen to rap for a long time, ever since the days of Ice T til the present and can say I guess I was raised right or somehow someway I never listen nor allowed my actions or thoughts mock the lyrics of the songs. Rappers portray being a gangsta, a thug, dressing with tattoos, pants down pants their rear ends, rebelling against the law and any other authority figure as the way to live and I blame our government for allowing the crap to get so far out of hand. Never mind allowing it on our televisions and radios containing cuss words and other negative impacting words. Just take a look back over the last 40 years and see the major difference in our society and moral of our people and compare it to today. You wouldn't dare find any television channel showing Elvis Presley's hips doing the little wave side to side then but look what they show today with all the cussing. Martin Luther King wanted equality but today's black people have totally lost what his actions, his words, and his battles actually stood for. They can't even go to a Martin Luther King event without fighting each other. No matter what happens, I continue to hear black spreading their hate and racism but yet little to no attention is enlightened on them. I truly feel they are raised to hate the white people because of slavery and how their ancestors were treated but guess what, I'm 28 years old. I  was alive back then so obviously I didn't treat you or your ancestors like that nor did I ever own a slave. So why am I being punished for things I've never had anything to do with? Why do I watch the TV show cops and the black guys always say "you only pulled me over" or "you are only locking me up because I'm black" but never mind their actions that got them pulled over, never mind the 50 page arrest report they have. and never mind the convicted felon has a gun because it's all because their black. I'm beyond sick of hearing "because I'm black". How come we don't have a White Entertainment Television (W.E.T.) channel like the blacks have B.E.T.? Oh if the whites did that, it would be racism uhh? How come I can't get a free ride through college to learn about my white history like the blacks can for black history? How come you don't have any ALL WHITE colleges like you have all black colleges like grambling state? If the N word truly offended blacks like it would me if I was black, then why do they call each other that word? Is that not true ignorance at it's best? Every where I look or turn, I always hear blacks bring their race up. It's got to the point to where they know they can say it to get their way. Rather it's to get a job, a loan, or in sports, it's used for just about everything in life today but what handouts do white males have today? What resources do I have in America being a white conservative male? I would love for a census be taken because if it was, you would see the whites becoming a minority if not already which is reinforcing my opinion that blacks never wanted what Martin Luther King did in equality, they want to not only be the superior race but to turn the roles on the whites in which they are succeeding. Most blacks today our age especially black guys imitated the white race because of their know violence. I shouldn't have to fear anyone just because of their race but in our schools today, if you are white and you don't act or dress black or what is known as "hood" then chances are you are not in the mix nor in the accepted category. Most white girls and guys are acting just as black or if not more black then the actual black people. I know it sounds racist but I believe it's all because of the black "hip hop" culture that has taken over that is making our society as it is. Drugs, violence, being a cheater or a "player" is marked as the way to be and it all originated from that culture. How come blacks can say honky, cracker, or any other racial remark on TV or in person and nothing is ever said or done but the minute the n word is spoken they are ready to jump you, burn your house down or shoot you? How come here in Louisville Ky, 90 percent of the violence surrounding guy violence is in the west end which is dominated by blacks? How come they can't get along and live in harmony with their own kind? Is that what Martin Luther King wanted? I've learned a lot in school and from my own research from people such as: Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King to know that time period would be much better off then what it was if only racism didn't exist but blacks should also be taught that blacks also sold other blacks from Africa to be sold as slaves for finical gain and that just about EVERY race as been discriminated against to also include us Irish people were slaves at one time also but is never taught that here. I remember hearing my former supervisor talk about how they should have Martin Luther King day off with pay and be recognize as a holiday but he never wanted to talk about or touch on Abraham Lincoln but who would Martin Luther King be without Abraham Lincoln and the things he did to free the slaves. I believe slavery started to become to an end thanks to a white guy, Abraham Lincoln but being that he is white that is over looked. I watch sports all my life and I have gorwn up with blacks saying they were discrimated in sports so if you look at them now you would be lucky to find a  white guy in basketball, football anymore..Even Snoop Doggy Dogg being a mutli millionaire still claims he has it so bad because he's black in America but make that "gangsta" work a 9 to 5 for $6.50 a hour if he truly has it so bad. Im just sick of the reverse racism and it's from the blacks now days. The roles have exchanged but no one wants to admit to it since they will get fired or sued. HOW'S ALL THAT FOR THE N WORD?

September 12, 2008, 1:41 pm CDT

way to go dr phil!

props to dr. phil for doing a show committed to such a heated issue as the use of the "n" word. i am a 30 year old white women raised in washington state residing in nebraska. i was raised in a home where it was not used and not allowed.  it was not appropriate, not for us or for anyone else.  my father taught me that it was a word created for black people by white people and it was created in a negative fashion.  i still agree with what i was taught.  i also believe that women, or men, should use the "b" word to talk about women.  i understand that people use both as a term of "endearment" but neither, in my opinion, is right!

September 12, 2008, 1:43 pm CDT

whose really 2 blame

Quote From: rjaggirls

WHY WOULD ANYONE USE THAT WORD ALONG WITH ANY OTHER WORD THAT IS NEGATIVE,

IT IS NAME CALLING. WE TEACH OUR CHILDREN TO NOT CALL NAMES. WHEN TALKING TO ANOTHER ADULT, OUR SPOUSE OR LOVED ONE, NAME CALLING IS A BIG "NO NO". SHOULD THAT NOT HAVE BE THE POINT OF THE ENTIRE SHOW.

Yes, we should not use the N-word but just think who started calling us the N-word in the first palce believe it or not it was white people who gave us that name so how can u be mad when we use it all day everyday. If you teach your kids not to do or say certain things how can you be mad at them for doing or using those words or action when you are the one that taught them that in the first place so if the white people are mad that black people use this word then be mad at yourselves because it is you who started calling us that in the first place so point the finger at your own self before you point it at other people thanx for listening one of the world's biggest Dr. Phil fan.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last