Message Boards

Topic : Talk About the Show

Number of Replies: 782
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 05, 2008, 03:43:54 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Want to get something off your chest about the show? Do you agree or disagree with Dr. Phil's advice to a guest? What topics would you like to see on an upcoming episode? Sound off here!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 4, 2009, 8:05 pm CDT

The last few episodes on the economy

I would just like to say is "What is wrong with these people?"  These people who are not making 100,000 dollars per year!  Try making 9,000 per year at the age of 37, with a college education.  I have been making this since I lived in California in my teens!  I have been poor all my life, but you know what's funny is that I have never felt poor.  I live in a single wide trailer, 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, have a beautiful yard.  I even have a 1999 Ford Ranger, which is beautiful.  My husband I decided we just couldn't afford house payments for $1200.00 a month, and he makes decent money, but we didn't want to live beyond our means.  We also do some traveling, but we never over extend ourselves.  We have lot rent (243.00), internet and cable(44.95), truck payment (160.00), 1 credit card (which gets paid off every month).  Those are our finances.  My products for house cleaning run about 300.00 a month.  Coeur d Alene, Id is very well known for not having jobs, and jobs in the winter, forget it, you won't be working.  So these people who are upset about living off of $37,000 a year, can we trade? I can live high on the hog with what you are making.  People who need jobs....go and clean houses on your own, humble yourself and work fast food, you should never feel like you are to good for lowering your standard of living.  I shop at thrift stores, but I also like to buy a nice pair of pants every now and again, but I can afford to splurge every now and again.

May 6, 2009, 2:45 pm CDT

Response to Wednesday 5-6-09 show

The mother of child Davia should have that child taken away. I have never seen such crazy antics that she displays on the show. She has no interest in repairing the relationship she has with her daughter but to attempt to save face and make her child look like an idiot. I am sure the child is not perfect and has some issues to resolve but why wouldnt she with a mother like that. The child must feel as though her mother hates her. I become sick to my stomach when watching her speak to her daughter!

May 7, 2009, 2:14 pm CDT

K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid!)

Dear Dr. Phil

I am 33 years old and a recovering alcoholic. I've been sober now for almost 3 years. I've been through 15 years of different types of treatment. I've been inpatient 3 times, outpatient 4 times, taken the "stay sober" pill, and attended A/A. I love watching your show for almost every other topic than today's (How to Stay Sober).  Don't get me wrong, I think you had a lot of good advice on the show as well as what I consider "exuse therapy".  Let me explain a little bit.

I used to do everything in my power to deny or minimize my disease. It was so important for me to figure out  "WHY I DRINK LIKE I DO!!!!" that I couldn't see the forest for the trees. If a suffering alcoholic or drug addict were to watch your show today, I think they may get the feeling that our disease is more of a medical one than a spiritual one. In my opinion, when a suffering alcoholic tries to fix himself with therapy or rehab centers and fails, it's only because he didn't grasp the spiritual side of our disease. When there are too many "experts" around him to explain his disease to him, he just has more people to blame rather than looking inward for the cause of his relapse. Which is why I titled this letter "K.I.S.S." The only therapy I've found to work for me is A.A. and that is because of the spiritual side of the program. I no longer go to "experts" to try to fix me. The only expert I consult now is my Higher Power (whom I choose to call God) and I try to keep it simple stupid! My disease is only as unmanageable as I make it. And if I choose to make my life and disease unmanageable, it's more than likely because I'm looking for an exuse to stay sick. I think you are a great man and I mean no disrespect for what you do, but in your next show on addiction, don't forget to tell the suffering alcoholics and addicts to "Keep It Simple Stupid"!

Respectfully,

John von Schrader

May 8, 2009, 3:28 pm CDT

mental illness as a disability

I have been in therapy off and on for about 30 years.  I finally found a therapist about 6 years ago and she has been very helpful to me.  I slit my throat about 3 years ago and was hospitalized for one week.  At that time a group of Doctors and social workers wanted me to apply for disability.  I have been receiving disability for about 1 year now.  I think that yout statement "If we treat mental illness like a disability, it just keeps people sick and demoralizes them further" is a irrresponsible statement.  Until 3 years ago I thought I was responsible for all the bad things that happened me when I was being raised by a sadistic father.  I have been able to reverse this belief with intensive therapy.  Menal illness is a legitimate illness just like having  heart disease.  To lead people to believe in your statements is dangerous.  One thing for sure is that many people with mental illness are very intelligent.  I did very well in college well after moving away from my father.  It has been difficult for me to hold a job very long because severe depression would creep into my life.  I had the intelligence to do anything I wanted, but not the emotional strength to reverse my faulty thinking.  The few shows I have watched have seemed trivialized by the quick fix sure-fire solution.  I just don't believe television is the proper venue for this subject matter. Marilyn Walters

May 11, 2009, 7:21 am CDT

responce to Britney's diappearance

Here is what I feel.It is obvious that this child was very willfull to go to sc,without her parents permission.So it appears to me that she was very willfull also when making her own decisions while down there.Why are these parents so angry at the young man that was interviewed today?Why did they not call the police immediately to report their under age daughter to be picked up and held until they got down there to sc and picked her up,immediately. It appears to me that they should have acted immediately when she left.This was their daughter,and their responsibiltiy.I guess they feel the need to blame someone.I hope they find her I truely do,unharmed and safe.

May 11, 2009, 3:13 pm CDT

get out!!

After watching the Dr.Phil show, i was anxious to sign on to Dr.Phil's message board.  This is in regards to the mother who told her two fighting children to get out of the car.  Well let me tell you I am 46 years old and have a brother who is 13 months older than myself, 41 years ago my mother did the same thing to us.  We where warned to stop fighting in the back seat, told to settle down, and if not my mom would pull over and tell us to get out, now we where alot younger than the 10 and 12 year old, that was talked about on your show.  I can assure you this Dr.Phil, we my brother and I did not ever fight and yell and scream in that backseat again.  We where left on the side of the road, for about 15 or 20 minutes, as my mother had to go pick my father up from work.  Crying our eyes out, being scared taught us a valueable lesson, not to mention that dad wasnt none to happy either.  Yes, in some cases parents do need to be held accountable, but by god so do children.

May 11, 2009, 4:09 pm CDT

I agree

Quote From: sharyne

Here is what I feel.It is obvious that this child was very willfull to go to sc,without her parents permission.So it appears to me that she was very willfull also when making her own decisions while down there.Why are these parents so angry at the young man that was interviewed today?Why did they not call the police immediately to report their under age daughter to be picked up and held until they got down there to sc and picked her up,immediately. It appears to me that they should have acted immediately when she left.This was their daughter,and their responsibiltiy.I guess they feel the need to blame someone.I hope they find her I truely do,unharmed and safe.

I agree with what this person has stated.  The other thing that i would like to comment on is should that mothe be charge for leaving her girls on the side of the road and driving off.  I have also done this, all thought it was just a block and a half down the road.  Sometimes when you are driving and children are misbehaving you have to do things like this.  I won't leave them on a highway or far from home or young children but 10 & 12 year olds should have to learn that arguing or fight while some one is driving is also very dangerous.  The other option that i have used in the past when my children were young was to pull over to the side and stay put until they finished!!!  Our courts are way to busy to deal with these problems.

May 11, 2009, 6:17 pm CDT

my solution to kids fighting in the car

With regard to the mother who let her fighting daughters out of the car; I have 2 boys, ages 15 and 8, who used to fight in the car on a regular basis. Here's what I do when this occurs......I quietly and calmly pull the car over in a safe place. I don't say anything. We just sit there and eventually one of them becomes curious as to why we are stopped on the side of the road. That's when I tell them that I will not drive the car until the fighting stops. The longer we sit, the more quiet they become. We have sat for 15 minutes, drove 5 miles and pulled over again for another 10 minutes. The fights are now fewer and further in between. May not work for everyone, but it works for us.

May 11, 2009, 7:33 pm CDT

I wish I could ................

I have a 16 yr old son who is dealing with the issue that I got laid off and we had to move out of the great neighborhood we were in, his father is supporting another family, and his lifestyle had to change. He argues with his younger sister every chance he gets and has decided that he doesnt like his spanish teacher and therefore refuses to go to her class (according to the staff). I would like to put him out of my car, no my house but because he is a minor and with all the missing kids i cant. I feel like the mom made a very unwise mistake, although i know how it can be when you've got kids bickering back and forth in the car, but putting her daughter out was the last thing she should've done. No she shouldnt be prosecuted because i'm quite sure she has realized that impulse thinking, in a heated situation, couldve landed her in jail. 

May 13, 2009, 7:05 pm CDT

Stephanie ROCKS y'all

So I have some great news to report on Stephanie, "babysitter gone bad".

It has been exactly one year today since Stephanie was on the show. She is doing phenomenal! She is working a strong AA and spiritual program! We are both in recovery from drugs and living in a sober home together. I wish y'all could see the progress she has made and continue to makes. She is truly a blessing to many! "Keep coming back, It works if you work it, you die if you don't, so work it because you're worth it. STAY SOBER!"

First | Prev | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | Next | Last