Message Boards

Topic : Talk About the Show

Number of Replies: 782
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 05, 2008, 03:43:54 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Want to get something off your chest about the show? Do you agree or disagree with Dr. Phil's advice to a guest? What topics would you like to see on an upcoming episode? Sound off here!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 12, 2008, 2:02 pm CDT

The "N" Word

I have some serious issues with this show...  You are taking some VERY opininated people, and putting them in the spotlight.  Here is the issue...  I don't think it's just using the "N" word.  I don't discriminate against people, I'm sorry that my ancestors did.  BUT, this is a totally different time.  Yes, it was horrible that African Americans were discriminated against, but that is mostly not the case now.  If we want to get real, let's talk about ALL the people that are discriminated against...  Gays, women, hispanic, really everyone, even white people are discriminated against.  We call it reverse discrimination.  Let's look at our society.  For African Americans, they have the the United Negro college fund, and black only colleges...  If a white person decided to start the White college fund, or a White only collage, they would be called racist.  I think we are dancing around an issue here...  there is dicrimination EVERYWHERE, black, white, gay, hispanic, whatever, everyone feels it.  I think our society truly needs to get over everything.  Again, Im sorry that my ancestors, who I had no control over, who I didn't even know, were racially stupid!  But I am not them!  I am my own person, make my own decisions, and I don't base my life around what happened in the past.  We are suppose to learn from the past and better ourselves from it.  I think we are dwelling, and holding onto the past.  If African Americans want to call each other the "N" word, go for it.  I will never understand it, but I don't have the right to tell them not to.  If people want to judge them based on that, then they are the ones that have issues.  I have two AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, bi-racial nieces and nephews!  I don't look at them any different than the gay guy down the street, the white couple next door, or the hispanic couple down the street.  I think we all need to stop being so sensative.  It's 2008!!!!  Let's show each other that times have changed, that we aren't our ancestors!  America, we need to stop being so sensative.  Let everyone live their lives, it doesn't affect you.  Only YOUR actions affect YOU.  What others do is their business.

September 12, 2008, 2:07 pm CDT

Talk About the Show

I am not crazy with the "N" word at all. It just get's to me I don't see how it is ok for  black people to say it and if a white person say's then that must mean we are rasist. I just wish that this word would go away. It's something that our ancesters had to deal with  we shouldn't have too.

Tired of it all.

I am so tired of black people or African Americans or whatever we are supposed to call them now, using  the excuse of slavery for their problems.  First, I never owned a slave, second MOST blacks in this country

now are not new nor have they ever been slaves.(I say this because there is a possibility of former slaves who are still living.)  If you think that you were dragged here kicking and screaming from your African country, and you hate it here so bad, go back.  Don't use it as an excure.  The people who really do have something to bitch about, but you never hear of them doing it,  are the Native Americans.  They are still living in the country of their ancestors.  However, they have been  marched to small areas that are designated for them.  They have a reason to rage against the rest orrof us.  I hate the idea of slavery and I understand how horrible and horrendous it is.  But, it is over.  Move on.  No more excuses.

the n word

I was raised the word n*****, if I may say the word, means a person that is uneducated. and I will let you know now that I know more white people that are the n word then colored people. And some times I think when someone uses that word you need to look them in the I and ask them if they really know how to use the word in the right way. And we as parent should teach our childern that it mean a uneducated person, and that the word yes was made for the black slaves, but becuz they were the uneducated at that time, but it does not only go to the colored any more and whites are as uneducated as the colored now days. And I only graduated from high school. so I to chould be called the n word. and when I'm in a room with a buntch of people that have a higher education then I, I am the n word with some of the things they will talk about, one thing is polotics, I am dumb when it comes to that.

September 12, 2008, 2:08 pm CDT

ENOUGH!!!

Please, not you too. When are we ever going to stop this and let it die. YES, years ago the whites did horrible things to blacks .They should have never been slaves, excluded, from participating with us in any way, etc. But that was then and this is now. How long are whites going to pay for this, Those of us alive today did not have anything to do with the decisions made back then, but we are still paying for the ignorant things that happened. Please don't keep adding fuel to the fire that some  still have going. Let it go. We have all learned from this so PLEASE , PLEASE move on to today's world.    

September 12, 2008, 2:09 pm CDT

n word

I just wanted to say that I am a 55 year old caucausian woman who has raised a son and have been physically challenged all my life.  I want to say that I am a proud american, do not use words like  you talked about on your show.

I am proud that we have a black candidate for president and plan on voting for Barack.

September 12, 2008, 2:10 pm CDT

Not all places change

Quote From: linda525

I'm so upset that they change Dr. Phil's time to 5:00. We never missed the show. I can tape and I will still watch it at 8:00.Some of my friends can't tape it and are really disapointed. At 8:00 we want to watch a family show not the news. I also sent an e-mail to kron4listens.  I may have sent this to the wrong place but it's  my first time. Sorry if I did. Linda

Hi Linda, this is Jamie in Virginia. The show time is diferent for different areas. It's based on your cable/satelite provider. its on at 5pm and 5am where I live, and has been for over a year.  Its great if I miss it after work I watch it next morning before work :-)

Im watching it now andwas looking for the show feedback from today when I saw your message.

Good thing you can tape it!

September 12, 2008, 2:10 pm CDT

Today's show

I don't understand why Mooney was allowed that much air time as explosive as he was. He shouldn't be a spokesperson for any reform. Talking louder and shouting over a lady isn't going to make what he had to say right. His ancestors were slaves, he wasn't. He should be grateful he's in America, we all should be. The Israelites were persecuted in Egypt and the generations that came after them weren't still holding grudges.

September 12, 2008, 2:13 pm CDT

Talk About the Show

Quote From: steam2954

I just watched your show aired on September 12 regarding the N-word. It saddens me, that in this day and time, people feel it's okay to use this word.  To use the comment, rappers and other musicians use it, and that it can be used as a term of endearment, is the most rediculous statement that can be made.

The word originally was used as a way to demean Black people.  To say the word is poisoness is an accurate, true statement.  I don't see the word as a positive.  It can never be used as a positive word especially when it subjects the person it is directed to as demeaning, making an indvidual feel inadequate and substandard.

The comment that was also made was that racisim does not exist is ludicrous. Racisim unfotunately is alive and well, and using the n-word only exemplifies that.  I would never call a white person out of their name, and using that word is a form of calling a Black person out of their name.  It should NEVER be used under no circumstances. The word should be listed in the books only, and never uttered to another person.

For the woman who said slavery is gone and we need to "get over it"! Is she serious??!! Apparently, she has no idea what that has done to Black people as a race, and that we as a whole can never forget about our ancestors who came here in the bottom of slave ships and held against our will.  She should do the research before having such a cavelier attitude about our history.

Thanks so much for bringing this matter to light.

Two points. First, in the discussion of traumatic experiences an individual may be subject to in the course of their lifetime, be it abuse,  neglect, rape, or surviving some other  horrible experience. There is a point in your life that, in order to have a meaningful and productive rest-of-your life, you have to "get over it". That doesn't mean forget it, that doesn't mean never acknowledge it, it means stop using it as an excuse for anything...it is in the past, it is done, and you can influence the rest of your life to be different if you get over using it as a crutch. To do so takes great conviction and courage, but it can be done.

To ask Mr. Mooney to get over an experience (slavery specifically) that was not even his, is not an out-of-the world response. Many people more directly affected by traumatic instances do it every day. I am appreciative of his experiences in being judged by the color of his skin, and his passion for it, but to use slavery as an excuse for his own behavior is inexcusable.

Second, in response to the discussion of use of the "N" word; the word is either wrong or not. Evil or not. Poison or not. It should either be used or not. So, don't like it? Quit using it. Quit holding yourself to a different standard than what you hold others to. No one should use it. There is not a SINGLE activity on this planet in which participation should be regulated based on the color of a person's skin, and the use of this word is no different.

September 12, 2008, 2:16 pm CDT

The N word show go away!

I think the N word should go away for good. I do not use it ever.  I have trouble with friends who use it. I frequently say something to people who use it in my presence. Because to not say something would be condoning it.  I say "I would prefer you didnt use that word in my presence".  

I wouldn't admonish a black person for saying it, because that would be out of line, but I don't think they should, and I dont like it.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last