Message Boards

Topic : Talk About the Show

Number of Replies: 782
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 05, 2008, 03:43:54 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Want to get something off your chest about the show? Do you agree or disagree with Dr. Phil's advice to a guest? What topics would you like to see on an upcoming episode? Sound off here!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 12, 2008, 8:29 am CDT

Take the poison out of the word.

I feel like a big issue that was passed up on today's show is that the n-word is just a word. The history behind it makes people look at it as a driving racially charged force but just like any other word, over time it's meaning can change. 

Every time a black person walks up to their friends and says "What's up n*****s?" they are changing the meaning. I believe that if the black community could be open minded about white people using the term in the same context, the meaning of the word could eventually be changed in our entire culure.

We already know that it's not gonna go away. Banning it will just cause more division because that makes a bigger deal out of it. It will always be a word in our language and it will always be a part of our history. What we have to take into conideration as a nation is that there can be change in the language we use, but as long as there is a double standard that says other ethnicities can't use it, it will always be a racially charged term. So I say everyone should be able to use the term without reservation and without fear of being criticized as long as there is no racial motivation or negative connotation behind it. It can become a term of endearment in the english language if we let it.

September 12, 2008, 8:39 am CDT

independent minds

another thing that i find troubling is a lot of the time when a black person does something or has a idea that the majority of the blacks do not like,  he is a traitor or stupid.  just as when a black speaks good english and has a good job,  many blacks look to them as a sellout!  we have a black radio station here that i like to listen to,  and one day a woman called in and said she had some serious issues about barrack obama.  when she said this they were doing everything in the world to change her opinion. they were accusing her of hurting the black cause ,  they as a lot feel that they should vote for him,  for no other reason thatn he is black.  yes,  i do feel it is hard to be black in america,  but  i feel most of the pressures come from the black commuity itself.  thank god that the younger generation of blacks now see that there is no need for for the old school way of thinking as of sharpton and jackson.

September 12, 2008, 8:51 am CDT

The N word

I watched the show  and had the same feelings and emotions that I always do. It's still OK for blacks to use the N word however they want. They have the double standard that says I don't have to worry about saying it because I'm black and I have been enslaved. I absolutely did not expect to hear anyone in your group  bring up the fact that they came over here as slaves. Mooney surprised and angered me. All blacks were not brought here as slaves. Doesn't anyone do their homework? Black people carry the cross , the stigma of slavery as theirs and only theirs, do they not remember that God's people were slaves for many generations.?When you think about it, REALLY think about it, we are all bi-ratial. All of our people evolved from Adam and Eve. So how on earth can any one of  us say that we are any paticular race. We like to say we're white or we're black but we are not. If  more homework is done where did the slaves come from. Of coarse from Africa where they were traded for goods, by their own people! Then we had white indentured slaves who remained slaves all their lives. What really burns me is that black people want to be known as Afro-American, why, they weren't born in Africa and naturalized here. Look at the most abused people in our states the American Indian. They don't call themselves Indian Americans. Come on, it's all a double standard. Mooney is right, the white man is a dying breed. I heard my folks say 50 years ago that our grandchildren and the rest of the world would be so mixed that it would be impossible to say that they were a pure race.  I just think that there are so many different kinds of blood lines running through us all that there shouldn't be a race issue. I think we here in the states should simply be ALL AMERICAN and let it go at that. I honestly believe that the N word, the cracker word, the spic word and all the rest are just ways to justify getting in trouble. The Bible says "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". It's a simple sentence with simple logic but we always have to complicate everything, don't we?

September 12, 2008, 9:05 am CDT

the n word

Hi kcnanny here, what a charged show, but the real issue was not addressed all that well.  The word should never be used, in what ever context.  I don;t understand how the white people started that word circulating in the world today.  It has always been a blame game.  Our decision as human beings, and american citizens, should be to find peace between all the cultures.  I cry when I hear what another human being can do to another human being, Hitler to the Jews, KKK to the black people, terrorists to all americans, 9-11, and still were not closer a solution than when all these altocities have taken place.  It has always been the american people who have come to aid of our fellow human beings after these tragic things have happened, so why can;t we come together right now, and put aside our hatred, our indifferences, what ever we feel like, and do something constructive, and make this world a better place for the children that are growing up in this crap!!!!!!!!!!  We as adults should be ashamed of ourselves, and think of the children and their future and their peace.  Sincerely kcnanny

September 12, 2008, 10:26 am CDT

how do I get to the depression boards

Quote From: labelfree

Look you actually did do it!

the more you click and go to various sections here the quicker you get to learn the system!

I am 44 and I feel at times intimidated by THE WEB,  The Internet etc.  I still do not know how to down load stuff and I get nervous inside!

You did great.  Keep clicking.

To find the weight-loss section when you sign on "GO TO MESSAGE BOARDS"

Come on over to the depression board.  I have been posting since 2004,  and DR Phil's site keeps getting better and better and truly its not that hard!

xox

S

Thanks for answering me - but I can't figure out how to get to the depression board or how to try and get a buddy for the weight loss,  Thanks for your words.

September 12, 2008, 10:31 am CDT

the n word

I am so frustrated about this topic.When the one lady was talking to the Black man on the subject of him calling himself a slave so to speak, he came up with that we were the ones who brought him here.If I had been her I would have said then if you don't like it here go back to where you came from and make you own country the way you want it.I'm so tired of the Black people blaming us for what our  long passed  relatives did.I grew up into a very small town in up state New York.And was raised by parents who taught us to love everyone.And some of my BEST FRIENDS are colored.And I wouldn't want it any other way.We have talked for hours over this subject.And the only way thing that we came up with was just respect each other and do what God wants for all of us.And that is to love one another and stop all this nonsense.Grow up America we are all one.

September 12, 2008, 10:51 am CDT

Greetings from Recycle Momma of Dallas. I found you Sue... YAY!

Quote From: labelfree

1.  So your middle aged and afraid of new technology  WE CAN HELP!

2.  DR Phil goes GREEN...Inspired from YESYOUCAN on the Depression Board

(She is the recycle momma of Dallas, TX)

3.  CANT GET ENOUGH OF DR PHIL?  He is going to hold a CONVENTION for his FANS!

4.  So your in recovery....What do you do with your life now...without booze or drugs?

5. DR Phil's super-fans!

6  Rare.Cancer in your family?  Why are YOU avoiding a check up?

7. Happily Married?  Tell us your story for a chance at a second honeymoon!

8.  Has Dr Phil saved your life? Tell us how!

9.  Got a beef with Dr Phil?  He is a big Boy  tell him now!

OK these are just a few topics I thought of!

xox

S

Hi Sue!!! Thank you!!!

I'm still hoping Dr. Phil begins "Getting Real" Going Green Thrift Stores to benefit the Dr. Phil Foundation.

Did you know the richest woman in the world lives in China? She became that way from filling empty import ships from China in USA with paper trash from USA to recycle. No surprise that China is becoming a leading contender in the book publishing market.

Listen to the news, today, and you will learn that the Wall Street Journal reported that Vice Presidential nominee, Sarah Palin's, outfit she wore when accepting VP nomination she got at a Thrift Store in Alaska. And y'all don't miss out on those half price days. I saw lots of persons dressing for success, like Sarah Palin, and buying back to school clothes recently at Thrift World.

Check it out and if you have anything to donate take with you for an on the spot receipt to use on your taxes from Salvation Army to Family Place to any Place that takes donations. They'll pick up or unload... up to you.

I ask you fellow Americans and everyone: Isn't a better destination for donate(able) items Thrift Stores rather than not only wasting landfill space being ruined in the process? Oprah quotes, "be the change you want to see." So... Yell it. Spell It. Do the math and everyone join me and get onto the recycling path with you, me, WE recycling.

Perhaps, part of the Weight Loss Solution racers could recycle usable items set out for City Pickup. Hillary Rodham Clinton was right, "It takes a Village"... And, folks, that village is us standing United as Communities helping our earth and one another "Get Real" healthy.

Thank you,
Recycle Momma of Dallas
(adopter of causes, i.e., recycling)
IMPROVE EARTH AND CHILDREN'S FATE:
CONSERVE, RECYCLE & DONATE

September 12, 2008, 11:12 am CDT

OK I will try to help you....

Quote From: kdrwife

Thanks for answering me - but I can't figure out how to get to the depression board or how to try and get a buddy for the weight loss,  Thanks for your words.

Go to the left where you see DR PHIL and underneath his picture andtake your mouse ands do a left finger click on MESSAGE BOARDS.

Then when you have that screen up look at the various topics LOOK UNDER THE HEALTH topic.

It says depression and grief.  Again left click with your mouse.  Once you see all the various parts of that board click on depression and there you are.

MODS did I explain correctly?

xox

S

September 12, 2008, 11:26 am CDT

Weight Loss Race

I am really excited to see that Dr. Phil will again be focusing on weight loss.  When he had his weight loss challenge a few years ago, my daughter and I "joined" and both lost the 40 pounds that we set out to lose.  I am "joining" again this time around to lose that last 10 pounds and I know I can do it!!

September 12, 2008, 11:57 am CDT

Being Canadian is a Lousy Excues

Quote From: berford

DEAR DR.PHIL

CANAIDAINS  ALSO WHATCH YOUR WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGF. HOW DO US CANAIDAINS LOOSE POUNDS WITH YOUR BOOKS. I HAVE YOUR ULTIMATE WEIGHT LOSS BOOK. I MUST ADMIT ITS LIKE GREEK TO ME. SO THE QUESTION IS  TRANSLATION OF THIS PERTICULAR BOOK WOULD BE HUGELY APPREECIATED.

CONFUSED IN CANADA THANK YOU

Ok, please don't insult Canadians anymore, your literacy problem or lack thereof has nothing to do with being Canadian, I'm CANADIAN, born and raised and  still living in Canada and I am just embarrassed at your lack of literacy. I have all the books and understand them quite well. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last