Message Boards

Topic : Talk About the Show

Number of Replies: 782
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 05, 2008, 03:43:54 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Want to get something off your chest about the show? Do you agree or disagree with Dr. Phil's advice to a guest? What topics would you like to see on an upcoming episode? Sound off here!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 12, 2008, 12:16 pm CDT

N-Word Family Tradition Changed

I come from a Southern Mountain town where the older generation has no problem with the N-word. However, they use it out of simple ignorance only. The fact is, this word means different things to different people. For my family members who I described above, it simply means a group of people in this category. They also use old mountain words like yonder, pert-near and ya'll. So, when these older members of my mountain town say this word, I do not get upset nor does anyone else. But, we do try and correct them.

I think it is hard for a word we have used for so long to simply disappear from society simply because it does have so many hidden meanings. I am happy to report that the past 3 generations of my family have stopped using the word all together.

And we, as a white family, can not understand why it is used by African Americans as a form of affection or as a slang word for friend when it has been told to us (as white people) that we are racists for using it! Kind of a double standard there, I think.  I would like to understand.....but I simply can't wrap my mind around it.  

Personally, I get very upset as a woman if i am called the B-word by a man....so in no way shape or form  would I ever refer to myself or call a girlfriend this word that upsets me!!

September 12, 2008, 12:22 pm CDT

The "N" word

Good topic!!!

This 'N' word is only a word. Actions speak louder, right?

Words are meaningless without the emotion behind it.

Personally I think the 'N' word we need to worry about as humans is NO!

We are ALL CREATED EQUAL.

Let that sink in a minute.

I think there is really only one word across the world in any language that has any real importance and it isn't a 'slang' word for one race or another. The word I speak of is 'LOVE'.

September 12, 2008, 12:32 pm CDT

Kudos

Quote From: thekingxx

another thing that i find troubling is a lot of the time when a black person does something or has a idea that the majority of the blacks do not like,  he is a traitor or stupid.  just as when a black speaks good english and has a good job,  many blacks look to them as a sellout!  we have a black radio station here that i like to listen to,  and one day a woman called in and said she had some serious issues about barrack obama.  when she said this they were doing everything in the world to change her opinion. they were accusing her of hurting the black cause ,  they as a lot feel that they should vote for him,  for no other reason thatn he is black.  yes,  i do feel it is hard to be black in america,  but  i feel most of the pressures come from the black commuity itself.  thank god that the younger generation of blacks now see that there is no need for for the old school way of thinking as of sharpton and jackson.
I give you kudos for posting this message. You have said what many of us are thinking and just have not said.  They expressed to me the want or need not to be seen as different than me, BUT at every chance that difference was used as an excuse. It is even used as a way to get a step up. My state sets up funds for minority students. Just because there are more white people does not mean I was less deserving of a step up into a college education!  My black friends went to college, I did not get to until my adult years when I could afford it myself. Their ancestors have fought to be equal, but they continue to separate themselves. There are legitimate claims of racism towards us all. But, I am talking about the ones who use it as a crutch instead of  an impowerment to improve their lives.

September 12, 2008, 12:39 pm CDT

The N word

The N word,,is nothing more then slang for  Negro !!!

Trust me we are not all equal..There are n*****s and there is white trash...

There is Black people and there are white people...

I am tired of  Al Sharpton,,showing his face when he deems it is needed..

He loves to play that black trump card...Slavery was over 100 years ago..

They really love that they were slaves,bcoz it works well for handouts !!!

September 12, 2008, 12:43 pm CDT

Talk About the Show

i love your show you are wonderful always

September 12, 2008, 12:43 pm CDT

I'm so tired of this N word crap

I know I won't be popular about this but I'm really getting sick of the N word debate.  The only people I ever hear using that word are the  "African Americans" I work in a prison and  I hear it all the time by the inmates, I have never heard a "white" person use it.

I work with people from Africa and they are angry about the "African American" term, they say they never lived there so how can they be African, when do people just become American, if you are born in America you are therefore American. I know my firend gets really upset everytime he hears that term.  My firends are working really hard to become citizens and they tell me when they do they don't want the African part on the front of it as they will just be American.

I'm getting fed up with "African Americans" using the word the most and blaming white america for using it. WE know we can't and like I said I don't hear them using it just the others.

Let it go lets focus on the war and inocent kids being killed every day there are more important things to worry about

September 12, 2008, 12:47 pm CDT

The N-Word

I remember something that Maya Angelou said about the N-word.  Liquid in a bottle marked with a skull and crossbones is poison.  Pour the liquid into a crystal glass and what do you have?  It is still posion, just in a nicer, more acceptable receptacle.  It doesn't matter who uses the word or what the reason or intent is in its use, it's still a word that evokes centuries of hate, anger, hostility, and death.  With all of the other wonderful words in the English language that can be used to convey the same idea of "endearment," why use one with so much negative energy and history?

September 12, 2008, 12:57 pm CDT

Talk About the Show

I'm enjoying todays show.  It confirms my thoughts concerning race in America; we have along way to go.  How dare the audience nonblack especially demand that Blacks should get over it?  How dare they insist on calling me what I have said I prefer that you not call me.  This to me shows that you can't even respect me enough to determine what I feel comfortable with when you address me.

We all know the history behind the word.  I suggest You get over it and stop using the word to people who have decided that it is disrespectful.  What will it cost you to stop, verses to continue the same hate.  Give Black people respect.  You do not own us today.  I demand that you learn what respect to others actually entails. 

Wizardmc

September 12, 2008, 12:57 pm CDT

The N Word

Dr. Phil.  I am looking at your " The N-Word Debate" Show which was aired on on September 12, 2008,  My personal opinion is that the N word should never be used by any race, that word has so much negative response from the past, their is no way to change the full meaning of that word reguardless how it is represented by the latest generation in any media format.  I never used that word or in a slang and I do not care  if you are Black, Asian and especially White, I will never tolorate being called that word.  The word should never be used in a music lyic or to re-express a type of person in a different way.  My view will never change in this matter and I do hope one day in time that all words (subject) in this matter will become deleted. Forever.  Thank you for you time.

September 12, 2008, 1:03 pm CDT

Talk About the Show

Quote From: lioness46

I remember something that Maya Angelou said about the N-word.  Liquid in a bottle marked with a skull and crossbones is poison.  Pour the liquid into a crystal glass and what do you have?  It is still posion, just in a nicer, more acceptable receptacle.  It doesn't matter who uses the word or what the reason or intent is in its use, it's still a word that evokes centuries of hate, anger, hostility, and death.  With all of the other wonderful words in the English language that can be used to convey the same idea of "endearment," why use one with so much negative energy and history?

dear dr phil,

I did not care for the show today, but that is me.If you are going to supply  guest,You could a least invite people who no how to act in public.that man with the cap said nothing of importance.he was there to start trouble and act like an idiot.If people cannot have an adult conversation they should not be included.Talk about being prejudice.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last