Message Boards

Topic : 09/15 Money Matters: Surviving the Crisis

Number of Replies: 184
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 12, 2008, 01:15:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Are you in debt? During these tough economic times with foreclosures on the rise and gas prices through the roof, more and more families are panicking about their financial stability, and some are only one paycheck away from being on the street. Would you and your family know what to do to survive? Just two years ago, Brandy and Greg say they were living the American Dream: a big house, a fast boat, plenty of spending money and four beautiful children. That all changed when their six-figure income was reduced to nothing. On the brink of losing everything, how did this family end up nearly a quarter of a million dollars in debt, and could it happen to you? Money expert Loral Langemeier shares a 90-day plan to help get their finances back on track. Then, Milton and Patricia were awarded the largest home ever given away on Extreme Makeover Home Edition. The headlines now report that the mini mansion is near foreclosure because of the couple's frivolous spending. They come to Dr. Phil to set the record straight and clean up their financial mess. And, Dr. Phil reveals the five biggest money mistakes people make. Could you be making them right now? You don't want to miss these tips! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 31, 2008, 8:16 am CDT

Help with food budget during these hard times

We found another way to help stretch our grocery budget.Check out the website angel food ministries,for $30.00 you can order a box of food,that will feed a family of four for a week.See if they have a host site in your area.My family tried it last month,and it was okay.They even accept food stamps.One of the benfits I could see from it when I do go to the grocery store that week I only have to but my staples like sugar,flour,bread,milk,etc. since I allready have the main dishes planned.

December 11, 2008, 2:32 pm CST

Husband Never Home

From all I have read I know Robin would relate to my dilemma.  The first year my husband and I were together he worked half the night.  I moved to his area and did not have any friends, so I spent my time alone.  One week after we were married my husband quit his job and went into a small construction business for himself.  I thought it would be great, we could spend more time together.  I has been a year and a half and his time away from home is worse than ever.  I understand long hours starting a business. It was something we were going to do together.    But he will sit home all day long and leave the house just before I get home from work.  He never leaves a note, he never calls, I never know when he will be home.  When he does get home he expects a nice dinner, then he falls asleep.   I feel I am running a hotel, he gets a hot meal and a warm bed, I get nothing.  The business has not earned any money, and we are now in debt up to our eyeballs.  We have had many arguments over this, he will be better for a couple of weeks, then right back to being out until he feels like coming home.  He tells me he loves me and all that, but I am ready to walk away.  This is not what I signed up for when we married.  Is there anyway I can get through to him??  Thanks

June 15, 2009, 1:49 pm CDT

Back From the Brink

I have been trying to find a way to get in touch with Brandy.  I saw the original show and then the one that gave an update on their situation.  I have lost my job.  My husband is in Real Estate sales.  Even my 17 yr old just lost his job today.  We are living off of my unemployment and my 401k money that I saved for the last 13 years.  I am really interested in getting into the virtual assistant field.  Everywhere I look on line, there are different programs and they all range in price from $1000 - $1500.  I don't really have this money and even if I could manage to get it, I don't want to be scammed.  I was hoping that since Brandy has been successful that maybe she could "pay it forward" and guide me in the right direction so that I don't get scammed.  I have written several emails over the last 6 weeks but have not gotten a response.  PLEASE HELP ME!

August 26, 2009, 4:55 pm CDT

09/15 Money Matters: Surviving the Crisis

Quote From: capecodmom15

Stay strong-he really sounds like he's playing some kind of game-Are the assets-equipment etc in your name? Sell them! And did you tell him you are leaving him? I know in the state I live in there is no longer a legal separation to file for but there are plenty of free attorney's of the day who are available at the courthouse and making an appointment with a mediator costs nothing-maybe once you run a mediator date in front of him he'll snap to-doesn't he realize if the house forcloses it's his credit too-it's almost as if he has no regard for his own so the hell with yours-Do whatever you can to keep your credit in check-get rid of him and try to keep smiling!!

I am trying to stay strong.  But I trusted this man, believed him when he said he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me, that he loved me.  But he always did the opposite, so actions speak louder than words.  He took the check and got bills of sale to all the equipment in his name.  But I have a very clear paper trail to prove that I paid for everything and he has not worked in 2 years. 

I just filed for divorce and hope I can hang on and be strong enough to actually go through with the divorce.  My problem is I hate being alone.  I have terrible anxiety.  Sometimes I feel I can put up with him just not to be alone, then I remember that I deserve better.

Thank you for your support.

First | Prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | Next Page | Last Page