Message Boards

Topic : 12/29 "Save My Mommy!"

Number of Replies: 223
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 12, 2008, 01:18:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/17/08) Dr. Phil takes an intense look at the life of Star, a stay-at-home mom who fears that her dangerous habit may take a turn for the worse. Star’s 11-year-old daughter, Autumn, sends Dr. Phil a poignant plea for help before tragedy strikes. By appearances, Star had it all: a nice home, a loving husband and four beautiful children. But inside, she hid a dark secret. What started out as a prescription for postpartum depression turned into an addiction, with Star downing 30 to 50 pills a day. Autumn was even left at home to baby-sit her younger siblings while Star drove around town for her next fix. Star's husband, Isaac, worries for her future and threatens to call the police if she continues to abuse drugs. A Dr. Phil camera crew is on the scene when Isaac discovers the depth of his wife’s addiction. See what happens when he takes matters into his own hands. Plus, Star receives a phone call that shakes her to the core. Find out what nearly causes her to break down. And, learn what line Star crossed which could shatter her marriage forever. Will Isaac ever be able to trust his wife again, or will this latest revelation cause him to call it quits? Can Star get her life back on track before it’s too late? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 17, 2008, 7:49 am CDT

Wished of Support

Star,

I understand.  You and I have some things in commom.  I am so sorry and sad that you are in the position you are in right now.  Words cannot describe how truly I wish you all the best in your recovery.

It is a hard road you face but you can absolutely be free of drugs.  You can do this!  Please follow the suggestions of the people that are assisting you at this time.  Please make use of all the resources available to you.  Don't waste another precious moment.

Although it may seem difficult, even impossible at times, reach for excitement!!  I am also very excited for you!!!  Crazy words?  Maybe.  This is just the beginning.  Remind yourself often that this is a fresh start!!!  I can't wait to hear how well you're doing.

Love and best wishes,

Cindie

September 17, 2008, 8:16 am CDT

Tylenol danger

I Am extremely disappointed that  Dr. Masterson, on the show today, did not mention the very REAL danger of tylenol overdose with the types and amounts of pills Star is taking.  I just don't think enough people are aware how dangerous taking too many medications with tylenol in them can be.  Two and a half years ago, my sister died from accidental tylenol poisoning.  She had dental work done and was taking percocet and had the flu and was also taking tylenol flu products.  Within a few days, she had irreversible liver damage and we took her off of life support and she passed away two hours later.  I don't want any family to have to bury a loved one from something that was so preventable. 

A lot of the drugs that Star is taking contain tylenol and it's only by the grace of God that she is still here.  PLEASE anyone reading this educate your family and friends about the danger of taking too much tylenol.  Look on the internet to find the products that contain tylenol and what is the safe recommended amount of mg that can be safely taken in a 24 hr period.  This not only affect adults but children as well.  Just because something is over the counter doesn't mean the sky's the limit.  PLEASE be very careful when using these tylenol products! 

September 17, 2008, 8:26 am CDT

Addict sare unable to think about others...

Quote From: ekdumdevi

I have no sympathy for Star in the least and that is because she chose to be a mother and watching those children is her priority.  I don't care if you have post partum, if you got caught up in pills.  She is a smart, articulate woman who has given herself PERMISSION to neglect those kids.  I was so afraid for the little girl on the counter on the background who was not being watched and standing up there!  She could have fallen.  There is also a little baby and she leaves her lovely child of 11, schucks her responsibility on this little girl!  She has no right to do that.  She should have had friends over, paid a baby sister or do something to fill in and get her butt to the DR. 

I have a friend who is permantly scarred by the responsibility put on her by her alcoholic father and she is in suc fear of having no money she works to the point of not seeing her daughter, who is cared for by grandparents while she is working.  Her father would take paychecks and drink himself and they wouldn't know when money was coming ever.  You never get over that.  She resents not having a childhood.  Star is robbing her children of a childhood that her husband and she could provide.

I am a mother of 2 autistic boys, 3 and 5, who need constant supervision because they don't understand danger and have limited speech.  I have to guess their needs day and night, they don't sleep and I fear for their safety and I am in the room with them all the time.  My housework can fall apart as long as I can watch them and be with them.  This is my job, my responsibility and it is the work of a lifetime trying to find a way to help them with their challenges.  I cry, I have anxiety issues too, I've had post-partum and take anxities meds when I know I can sleep and have help attending to my children.  Don't tell me that she is too sick to choose.  She has lovely, healthy children and a loving, supportive husband and she is choosing to ruin all their lives.   Stop being selfish and thank God you left for rehab.  Do it for yourself and those kids and prove to them you can do it because it means everything to them.  Your children will always love you and need you.  Be committed and make it up to them later.

Unfortunately, addicts are inherently selfish, self-centered and egocentric; it's a big part of the disease.

September 17, 2008, 9:14 am CDT

yes i did

Quote From: ladyinmyhead

You must have some good insurance to pay for all those pills.

Did you ever stop to think that sometimes we are supposed to go through pain to learn something ? or should we all have a pill for every emotion. You comment that we are accountable to "some extent" what.....? Where is the line ? Who told you that your accountability only goes so far.  You went to the doctor because you were a little depressed ? That is odd to me. People get the blues. People are supposed to FEEL. Its what seperates us from the animals  This is insane how out of whacked this whole thing is. Disabled ? Start fighting woman. Life is short and for you to stay stuck in this mire is a waste of a perfectly good life. You don't get another one.

I did have good insurance that I paid for out of my pocket.

September 17, 2008, 9:44 am CDT

Read it a third time

Quote From: lonelyheroine

And then I would have seen that this woman is taking Oxycontin and of course, one could get addicted. But I really have to wonder how she is obtaining this controlled substance. As I wrote previously about those smooth criminals who call themselves doctors and who were hailed as "Dr. Feelgoods." I am going to look pretty sheepish, with a liberal dose of humility, that at one time, I was stealing my mother's Oxycontin, something she has to take to alieviate chronic pain, so I was able to get them, but why a physician would keep prescribing this 'Hillbilly Heroin" is beyond my comprehension.

I never crushed that powerful drug and then inhaled it. I got just what I needed by swallowing them. Of course, that doesn't make me look any better from the ones who do use the drug as "Hillbilly Heroin." I'm sorry----I didn't intend to make this entry all about me. The guilt I experienced for taking a drug that my mother so desperately needed finally trumped my desire to blitz out and I realized I loved her way more than I loved Oxycontin. But it was very hard and I slipped up a number of times before admitting I was a drug abuser and subsequently began to go to Narcotics Anonymous.

Being both Bipolar and having been diagnosed as suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder, I used narcotics to mellow out and take some of the sting of having a mental illness.

Anyway, this woman who will be featured this Wednesday has an uphill battle. Instead of judging her, both family and friends need to understand what drives her to cling onto this drug. It must be so hard for her daughter to have a drug addicted mother and have no way to help her. I am glad they will be on the show. Dr. Phil always looks out for the children of the troubled guests on the show, so I am hoping he can get both her and her mother in a better place.
It also clearly states that she was on Xanex for anxiety. Xanex is highly addictive.

September 17, 2008, 10:12 am CDT

just giving my support and encouragement

This is to Star, her family and anyone suffering from addiction. As a recovering pill addict I just want to offer my support and encouragement. I have been clean for 9 months and counting. Addiciction did not always play a role in my life.  I am 37 years old and for about 2 years I was addicted to pills. During those 2 years I did things I deeply regret. When I was high on pills nothing else mattered to me. My mind was distorted and I couldn't see clearly. My family tried to help me see how bad it really was but I was certain that it wasn't  as bad as they were making it out to be. It wasn't until I stopped taking the pills that I was able to see how bad it really was. As humans we make mistakes. Please remember that it is never to late to turn your life around. Please alllow yourself the time to recover. It doesn't happen over night. I have been clean 9 months and I still struggle but it gets better with each passing day. Embrace the love and support of your family. I have been so lucky. My family didn't give up on me even when the future looked hopeless.  There was a point when I didn't know how I could go on without the pills but I was wrong. I am living without pills. Please for the sake of YOU and YOUR FAMILY don't give up keep fighting. You are going to get mad at the people that love you most but when you are clean you will thank them and embrace them for all of the tough love they dished out.  Your life is going to get better and I can't wait to hear about you progress and recovery.  Be true to yourself and your family and you will all get through this.  I will say a little prayer for all of you everyday.    Sarah

September 17, 2008, 10:46 am CDT

thats it ?

Quote From: nomorepills

I did have good insurance that I paid for out of my pocket.
Thats all you had to comment about? Nothing else struck a nerve? That is very telling.

September 17, 2008, 11:16 am CDT

My Lightbulb Moment

Hi Star,

Just wanted to share the moment when things finally clicked for me.  I was in a similar situation for 8 or 9 years.  My mom was my supplier. I also eventually subdituted with street drugs. She became addicted to the control that giving me the pills gave her.  First of all you have to realize how to make good decisions in all areas of your life.  I never thought I would have been able to cut all ties with my mom because we were always exlremely close.  But I realized in treatment that I had to surround myself with people who truly want what was best for me.  First and foremost that was my husband.  I think the magic moment for me was when I realized I couldn't trust my own thoughts.  I had to learn to cut those conversations with myself about using off quickly.  I learned to tell on myself before anything happened.  You have to become completely open and transperant.  If you are haveing a craving,  tell somebody asap.  Eventually it gets easier to stop these conversations,  and slowly you will learn to trust yourself again.  I have been clean for a little over three years.  Last year,  at one of my phsyciatrist appt. ( I have to go through our county system to get my anti-deppressant,  Effexor),  I mentioned that I was having a little more anxiety than usual,  the doc tried to give me a rx for a strong antihistamine.  Although that isn't a controlled substance,  it is still very dangerous for me.  I was actually strong enough that day to say no thank you.  That was a woderful feeling for me.  Sometimes I am scared to tell him how I am really doing.  I get my meds through the prescription assistance program through the maker of the product,  so I have to go see him every three months.  My point is you have to be extremely honest with yourself.  It would have been easy for me to tell myself I would be ok to take it only when needed,  but in honesty,  I know I would have eventually abused them,  which would have led to using other things.  One last thought,  you have to take care of  yourself first,  so that you will be healthy and strong enough to take care of those beautiful blessings we call children.   You deserve and your family deserves it.

Good Luck to all of you!

September 17, 2008, 12:14 pm CDT

Just like ANY drug- not if taken as directed

Quote From: mzamber34

It also clearly states that she was on Xanex for anxiety. Xanex is highly addictive.

Xanax (not Xanex) is a WONDERFUL drug if it;s taken for the correct reason and perscribed by a Dr.- no different than insulin for a diabetic. You may not like that remark.. but it's true. 

"Anxiety" can be debilitating.

I suffered HORRIBLE panic/anxiety attacks YEARS before - and my Dr trusted me and KNEW I needed "HELP".  He perscribed the drug for me and I was able to live!  I would have NOT been able to without it.

I can only imagine I would have taken my own life somehow- isn't that what SHE'S doing??

The difference is.. I never abused the drug and when I felt I no longer NEEDED the dose I was on.. I tapered off. 

People who "sedate themselves" are doing it for a reason. Not everyone does it. 

This woman NEEDED to be "high" for SOME reason- No one likes to hear that.. but it's true.  No exuse to treat you children that way AT ALL- but something is WAAYYYYYY wrong here!

She CLEARLY has "issues" that weren't discussed on the show.  (not saying they SHOULD have been)  The show was about "addiction" and selling that chapter in the book. I thought it was pretty rough.

I was molested as a child for many years (by a relative)  (not saying she WAS- but SOMETHING is WRONG!!)  the panic attacks were my body finally saying "NO, your NOT OK with this!!" 

I will HAVE to say... I feel Dr Phil was VERY hard on her. During the second half of the hour I kept waiting for him to finally say (with tenderness in his voice at least!) since this IS the first time- and you ARE HERE asking for help (which is HUGE) and this IS out of character for her- I want to help you.

I have to say I didn't like HOW she was treated. She took an HOUR of pretty hard "in your face slapping"  when she was CLEARLY asking for help!

The "BOOK" seems to be the main focus for each new show this season. And yes.. they have so far been GREAT books-  I was very disappointed in how this show was handled.  Just my opinion. I have always looked forward to watching this show-  something has changed!  what is going on?????

September 17, 2008, 12:20 pm CDT

I think YOU are very brave...

Quote From: lonelyheroine

And then I would have seen that this woman is taking Oxycontin and of course, one could get addicted. But I really have to wonder how she is obtaining this controlled substance. As I wrote previously about those smooth criminals who call themselves doctors and who were hailed as "Dr. Feelgoods." I am going to look pretty sheepish, with a liberal dose of humility, that at one time, I was stealing my mother's Oxycontin, something she has to take to alieviate chronic pain, so I was able to get them, but why a physician would keep prescribing this 'Hillbilly Heroin" is beyond my comprehension.

I never crushed that powerful drug and then inhaled it. I got just what I needed by swallowing them. Of course, that doesn't make me look any better from the ones who do use the drug as "Hillbilly Heroin." I'm sorry----I didn't intend to make this entry all about me. The guilt I experienced for taking a drug that my mother so desperately needed finally trumped my desire to blitz out and I realized I loved her way more than I loved Oxycontin. But it was very hard and I slipped up a number of times before admitting I was a drug abuser and subsequently began to go to Narcotics Anonymous.

Being both Bipolar and having been diagnosed as suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder, I used narcotics to mellow out and take some of the sting of having a mental illness.

Anyway, this woman who will be featured this Wednesday has an uphill battle. Instead of judging her, both family and friends need to understand what drives her to cling onto this drug. It must be so hard for her daughter to have a drug addicted mother and have no way to help her. I am glad they will be on the show. Dr. Phil always looks out for the children of the troubled guests on the show, so I am hoping he can get both her and her mother in a better place.

Sounds like YOU have had a rough time- I hate that for you. But it sounds like you have won that battle- I admire that.  Good luck with your fight against narcotic drug abuse.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last