Message Boards

Topic : 12/22 Parents Falsely Accused

Number of Replies: 476
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 12, 2008, 01:20:40 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/18/08) Could you be guilty of abusing your child and not know it? Where are the boundaries when it comes to parenting? Treffly is a mom of three who never thought she would be accused of breaking the law. But that's exactly what happened when she left her daughter in the car to do an errand just 30 feet away. Treffly's case sparked a flurry of opinions and heated debates across the country. People in the community and a criminal defense attorney weigh in. And find out what Dr. Phil thinks about Treffly's encounter with the law. Then, Lynn says her biggest regret is leaving her daughter alone the night the 13-year-old died. Find out how a false allegation landed her behind bars. Her conviction was overturned, and Lynn became the first woman in U.S. history to be cleared by DNA evidence. Hear how the truth came to light and what life has been like since she was released from prison. And, hear about Lynn's son, Ed's, experience growing up in foster care as a result of his mother's incarceration. What can mother and son do to rebuild their bond? Find out what you can do to improve the lives of children in the foster care system. Plus, don't miss the steps you need to take if you're wrongly accused of a crime. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 23, 2008, 1:07 am CST

i think its risky

I mean still anyone can come along and take your kids did she leave the keys in the ignition? Also on a slightly trivial note is treffly her real name or some fake name? What kind of name is Treffly?

December 23, 2008, 1:16 am CST

Really?

I just watched this episode and I believe that the mom who left her child in the car is in the wrong for doing so.  However being arrested and handcuffed  was way over board.  She should have been given a warning or ticketed, but not arrested.  I am a pediatric nurse and I see abuse on a regular basis.  Children who have been beaten so badly that they will never be the same.  Most of these kids have been in "the system" already and they are so badly let down.  The fact that so much time has been spent on this mom and the police are not out there getting the ones who really hurt kids makes me angry. 

No one should leave their kids in the car EVER.  But there are many many children who need more attention from society than these kids.

December 23, 2008, 1:19 am CST

12/22 Parents Falsely Accused

Quote From: ilovducky

I have three kids and I have almost lost them at one point in thier short lifes, and I have lost an unborn child. So as far as asking any parent I am one of those parents but I still feel she didn't do anything wrong and people like you make it harder to be a parent. NO ONE can say they have never left thier kids in the car. You can't tell me when you pump gas in the rain you take your little one out of the car seat and hold them while you pump gas then go pay. Sorry not likely.

Standing right next to your car while pumping gas and walking away from your car with your child in it is so completely diffrent.  I have NEVER left my child in the car UNATTENDED.  That is the point.  Standing right by the car in not unattended.  If you need to go in and pay then you take your child with you. 

December 23, 2008, 3:55 am CST

False Accusations

Why is it always a story about a falsely accused WOMAN, when MEN (fathers) are OVERWHELMINGLY the most common targets of false complaints of domestic violence, child abuse, molestation, and rape? If Dr. Phil were the consumate professional he professes to be, he'd be aware of the reams of research and government studies which show mothers are must often culpable.  So why does he, with his programs, almost always feature a woman, or women, as victims? Doing so greatly reduces his credibility, and portrays him as a feminist ideologue, sacrificing truth for ratings.

December 23, 2008, 6:18 am CST

Quote From: erinm54

Standing right next to your car while pumping gas and walking away from your car with your child in it is so completely diffrent.  I have NEVER left my child in the car UNATTENDED.  That is the point.  Standing right by the car in not unattended.  If you need to go in and pay then you take your child with you. 

Thank you! I knew that there were parents who have NEVER their child unattended in a vehicle, besides me lol.

As for your previous post, from news acoounts and Treffley's own admission- she refused to answer the officer's questions when he/she arrived on scene (such as who the child was, name of child etc). This was in response to the wisdom of her husband who told her not to answer any questions until he got there.

Additionally, I was wondering why she didn't pull up right next to the donation kettle... apparently when she pulled up in the loading zone, she parked behind a vehicle whose owner was tying a tree to the top of his vehicle. This makes me question what kind of view of her vehicle she actually had.

December 23, 2008, 6:58 am CST

If the child/ren is under 18

To whom it may concern,

I am 23 yrs old and I am a stay at home mom with 4 kids. And I feel like if these two women where one did leave the child in a car for a sec. or the other women who left a 13yr old girl alone at home (where it should be safe) then in my opinion: If anyone that lets their child or children alone outside under the age 18 should be arrested.The kids are still consider be minors until the age 18. I know good in well when a child/ren turn to a teenager they do let them go outside with friends thinking they are old enough and would know what's right and wrong. But with society today thinking you shouldn't live a kid in the car for a quick sec. or leave a 13yr old girl at home. Well its just sad. I am not saying its right but in some situations its not wrong. When I go to the mail box I leave my kids in the car, ( I have 4 of them) or when I stop to get gas and have to pay, ( I pull up or wait for the closest pump to the station and leave them in the car to go pay, but I do take the keys with me (so, no one else gets them or I lock myself out) and I also leave a window cracked, and also my kids know if anyone comes close to the car to scream. ). I remember when my dad told me he walked to and from school with his sisters for with no one watching them. And being a mom with a child in school. I see so many kids walking to school unsupervised. So for those parents how would you feel doing what has been done for centuries, now being SAID TO FACE your wrong?

December 23, 2008, 7:09 am CST

parents falsely accused

Quote From: pclemsc

Why is it always a story about a falsely accused WOMAN, when MEN (fathers) are OVERWHELMINGLY the most common targets of false complaints of domestic violence, child abuse, molestation, and rape? If Dr. Phil were the consumate professional he professes to be, he'd be aware of the reams of research and government studies which show mothers are must often culpable.  So why does he, with his programs, almost always feature a woman, or women, as victims? Doing so greatly reduces his credibility, and portrays him as a feminist ideologue, sacrificing truth for ratings.

I do not agree that Dr. Phil always has women as victims.  He has had many men on as well.

December 23, 2008, 7:11 am CST

parents falsely accused

Quote From: autumn_j

I mean still anyone can come along and take your kids did she leave the keys in the ignition? Also on a slightly trivial note is treffly her real name or some fake name? What kind of name is Treffly?
I wondered about the name Treffly also.  That is so ridiculous!!  Her parents were very mean to give her such a horrible name!!

December 23, 2008, 12:46 pm CST

Parents Falsely Accused

Quote From: pearamedic

First the case worker accused me of biting my daughter when a child had bitten my daughter.  At the hospital, I was told by the police officer that child welfare had been called and would be investigating the matter as well.  However no case worker ever showed and the officer seemed to be handling it.  It was only later that I learned the child welfare worker said she had gone to my house, looked around, and spoke to me.

I have plane tickets and hotel receipts to show I was not home.  So she could not have gone in my home and spoken to me.  So her report is false!   Last I heard she is still a case worker!   She should have been fired if not arrested so making false reports.

My old neighbors had a newborn and during the dead of winter had no electricity, no running water, and conditions I wouldn't put a rabid animal in.  Despite several calls from myself and neighbors no one came out.  Yet my friend had her kids taken away over night because her ex made an accusation and they realized that night it was false but waited until morning to return them!  We'd hate for case workers to have to make a drive to return children to their home rather then get their beauty sleep.

Our child welfare returned a child to a mother who showed she could not be trusted with a child and the child was beaten to death not to long after.  A mother was given a child after leaving her child in a truck stop for hours.

If a child is hurt and as you said there is nothing for Child Welfare to investigate but law enforcement sees it fit to look for other forms of abuse, should Child Welfare not be involved rather then passing the buck of Maybes to law enforcement? 

Since you worked for child welfare for 15+ years, have you ever apologize for the to the parents/guardians who were accused of abuse that Child Welfare determined to be false after causing the heartache and headache of being investigated?

I  was reminded of the person who left her child to go in Subway and before she was in the store, n individual stole her car wth her child. The woman tried to get her child out of the back seat, but the door closed and her child was dragged to the death by the car thief. NEVER leave you child unattended.

December 23, 2008, 12:50 pm CST

Quote From: feistyd

Thank you! I knew that there were parents who have NEVER their child unattended in a vehicle, besides me lol.

As for your previous post, from news acoounts and Treffley's own admission- she refused to answer the officer's questions when he/she arrived on scene (such as who the child was, name of child etc). This was in response to the wisdom of her husband who told her not to answer any questions until he got there.

Additionally, I was wondering why she didn't pull up right next to the donation kettle... apparently when she pulled up in the loading zone, she parked behind a vehicle whose owner was tying a tree to the top of his vehicle. This makes me question what kind of view of her vehicle she actually had.

I was thinking the same thing. Why did she not pull directly in front of the donation kettle. She made a wrong decision for sure.

First | Prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | Next | Last