Message Boards

Topic : 12/22 Parents Falsely Accused

Number of Replies: 476
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 12, 2008, 01:20:40 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/18/08) Could you be guilty of abusing your child and not know it? Where are the boundaries when it comes to parenting? Treffly is a mom of three who never thought she would be accused of breaking the law. But that's exactly what happened when she left her daughter in the car to do an errand just 30 feet away. Treffly's case sparked a flurry of opinions and heated debates across the country. People in the community and a criminal defense attorney weigh in. And find out what Dr. Phil thinks about Treffly's encounter with the law. Then, Lynn says her biggest regret is leaving her daughter alone the night the 13-year-old died. Find out how a false allegation landed her behind bars. Her conviction was overturned, and Lynn became the first woman in U.S. history to be cleared by DNA evidence. Hear how the truth came to light and what life has been like since she was released from prison. And, hear about Lynn's son, Ed's, experience growing up in foster care as a result of his mother's incarceration. What can mother and son do to rebuild their bond? Find out what you can do to improve the lives of children in the foster care system. Plus, don't miss the steps you need to take if you're wrongly accused of a crime. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 18, 2008, 12:51 pm CDT

09/18 Parents Falsely Accused?

I dont think this mother was falsely accused.

And after watching her on the show today, I feel she got what she deserved.

She was sitting there so high and mighty like she did nothing wrong - but she did.

She left her child alone in a car - parked in what appeared to be a no parking zone from the video - while watching her other children go and drop money in a kettle.

Anything could have happened even though she was standing only 30 feet away - and I have absolutely no sympathy for her!

Her car could have been rammed from the back or the side and burst into flames and what could she have done - absolutely nothing.  No car seat could have done anything for that little innocent child.

She should have waited until her husband was home and then driven her 2 other children - parked in a proper spot and took them to the kettle.

September 18, 2008, 12:59 pm CDT

Never a good idea

It's never a good idea to leave a child unattended for even a moment in your car.  We should only need to be reminded of the tragedy that happened in the metro Kansas City area a few years ago.  I can only imagine what the mother of little Jake Robles in Kansas City was going through after she left her little boy in her SUV for only a few brief moments to get him a drink at Subway.  She could see him from the store.  Suddenly out of nowhere a man jumped in her SUV to steal it.  She immediately ran out of the store to confront the carjacker.  Her little boy Jake was still strapped in the back seat with a seat belt.  She tried with all her strength to get her son out of the SUV and pleaded with the man to let her get her son out.  The man ignored her pleading and cries and took off.  Tragically little Jake got caught in the belt and the driver took off with him dangling from the open back door.  The SUV was finally stopped by citizens after he drove a few miles with the little boy hanging from the seat belt outside of the car.  People were shocked and stunned by what they saw that day and desperately tried to get the man to stop.  I understand the people who finally stopped him, almost beat him senseless and held him down before the police got to the scene.  Needless to say, there was a horrifically tragic ending to this story.  I think his mother would tell anyone, NEVER leave a child in the car for even a brief moment. Our hearts went out this mom because it was clear she understood the mistake she made that day.  I live in Kansas City and this was one of the most shocking cases anyone has ever heard of.  Please, take the few minutes to take the child with you to never let this happen again to any family.

September 18, 2008, 1:03 pm CDT

Leaving kids in the car

Quote From: robin457

we recently saw on the news that a school teacher left her child in the car and it died. the baby sat in the car seat for 9 hours. then last year a vice principle of a well to do school left her child in the car. she even went outside to move her car closer to the school so she could get the doughnuts from the back of her suv. then she got back in and moved her car again. i hate to say this. both women were not charged. i am sorry but i raised five children and i never left them in the car for anything. i was always afraid that they would knock it out of gear or anything. i don't see how anyone can forget thier kid. i don't care how busy you are. if you can remember the doughnuts you can remember the kid. anyone else had done this they would have been prosecuted ..hung out to dry..i am sorry that thier children died. but, i cant see how they could forget.

I would like to comment to the sarcastic comment made by Dr. Phil regarding the woman from Chicago stating, "that she would not leave her child in the car for any amount of time because it was to dangerous".  Dr. Phil made the comment stating "maybe she should be followed", but for his information their are a lot of responsible parents such as myself that would not take that risk with their child and never has.  I think society and people such as himself give most the okay that this is acceptable/normal behavior that they carry on from their generation of parenting.  Their parents may have done one or all of this examples giving that child and now parent the thought process that it is okay because my parents did it.  How many times have we heard that?  This is a conscious choice that one should make while factoring the risk in what can happen in today's society. E.g. kids dying in cars while parents run into facilities, carjackings with children in the car, another vehicle striking vehicle with children left in the vehicle.  These are just a few examples of what could happen in that moment of walking away from your vehicle and leaving a child inside.  I don't want to just focus on leaving  children in a vehicle but leaving children in the home or not being attentive to them while out shopping, family activities or even just outside of your home is an issue as well.  These action has shown me children being hit by cars, abducted by strangers, and sexually assaulted. 

I thought I was over protective and paranoid about being too careful with my daughter but it is nice to know that their are parents that understand the risk that we take in our decisions that may affect our children.  I'm also not naive to know that we take risk everyday and things can happen that is not in our control but being cautious in my opinion helps reduce the risk. 

September 18, 2008, 1:05 pm CDT

Quote From: quietstorm

I think they took it too far though with arresting the woman I'm sure there is a category on a ticket that could have been issued to her.

I bet she won't do it again though....

I have been falsely accused of the some offenses with DSS.  They took my kids even though I passed a polygraph with a EX State Police Officer.  No One wants to hear my side.  My son has told DSS time and time again nothing happened in my house.

September 18, 2008, 1:06 pm CDT

No, No, No!

It is never, ever okay to leave your kids in the car alone. I don't care if it's for a minute, second. Get your lazy butt out and take your child out with you.

September 18, 2008, 1:08 pm CDT

September 18, 2008, 1:13 pm CDT

I know how she feels

First, let me preface my message by saying I am not fond of the police department.  I totally understand what the son has been through.  Because of different circumstances, I was in a foster home for the first four years of my life.  I was swung off the roof of a building by my ankles and slept on bed springs instead of a bed.   The events are etched in your mind forever and I thoroughly believe it effects your life.  I can't imagine what the mother went through.  God bless her and her family from now on.

September 18, 2008, 1:13 pm CDT

ADVOCATE FOR FOSTER CHILDREN????

Dr.Phil

I watched your show today and I could not believed what I was hearing from you..

First off you say you read the message boards,which I highly doubt. Regardless we have been foster parents for the last 5 yrs.

WE SAW WHAT WAS BEING DONE WITH THESE BOYS &GIRLS..

I remember on some show last year you had a show and the foster care system came up..And YOU,I had to laugh because your response was THE FOSTER CARE SYSTEM IS THE BEST YA DA YA DA ....

You didn't want to hear about what was going on in the system..

There was a time with 2 children living with us,one was taken from us two times and we can only assume the case workers were being "paid off" from the natural grandparent to have her moved from us

Another the STATE paid $4000.00 to have tests done on the parent to see if she was stable enough to raise her son  The $4000.00 of TAXPAYERS MONEY came back stating this woman had the worst possible mental condition.....With that being said,they took the boy from us and handed him back to his mother so they could go live in a HOMELESS SHELTER

NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN YOUR AN ADVOCATE FOR THESE KIDS.....WHERE WERE YOU LAST YEAR WHEN I WROTE YOU FOR HELP AND NOT EVEN A RETURN EMAIL THANKING ME FOR WRITING YOU

GOD knows there are plenty of other kids out there with the same problems of being taken out of homes so you will be busy being the advocate,but I hope you dont forget about these two kids I told you about and wrote to you about....

We are still foster parents ,but the system is so screwed up and NO ONE IS WATCHING THE STORE

I hope you have five minutes to read this email and maybe since your NATIONAL can  do some good to help these kids out

Dennis

I

September 18, 2008, 1:18 pm CDT

Falsey accused??

First of all why in the hell would this woman go donate money with her tiny baby in terrible weather anyway?? I don't think ANY mother should let her child be further than arm lengths away. Even if she could see the car and was only 30 feet away she still could've not reached her car or child fast enough if someone were to hop in the car and take off. I don't believe she should have her child taken away but I do believe she needs some form of punishment and needs to get a clue!!!!!

September 18, 2008, 1:18 pm CDT

My heart is breaking

My husband and I are therapeautic foster parents and I sat here today watching the show with the young man who was shuffled so many times between homes and cried.  I am embarrassed by the foster parents who treat their foster children this way.  My foster kids are MY kids.  I would never even think of treating them any different then my own children.  We have two teenage (foster) sons and my teenage step son lives with us too.  If we could we would have more but the law only allows for two therapeautic children per home. Being a foster parent is tough at times but I love it and I don't look at being a foster mom as a job but I have met those who do.  These kids deserve to have a family who loves them and takes care of them and shows them they are important in this world.

I just wanted to thank you Dr Phil and Robin you are truly special people.

Sheila

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last