Message Boards

Topic : 12/24 Fighting the System

Number of Replies: 109
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, September 22, 2008, 06:59:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard2
(Original Air Date: 09/26/08) To sue or not to sue, that is the question for today’s guests. If you’ve ever felt violated, wronged or scammed, it’s time to learn how to fight for your rights! Dr. Phil’s first guest, Robin, says she was blindsided by officers in an airport when she mistakenly went through security with a bottle of contact solution. She says she was beaten so badly, she thought she might die. See her ordeal caught on tape, and find out what she’s doing about it. Then, after Kate’s plane was grounded for nine hours, and the passengers were without food, water, medical attention or any information, she created the Coalition for an Airline Passenger’s Bill of Rights. Today show travel correspondent Peter Greenberg and longtime consumer advocate Ralph Nader join the show with tips on how to travel safely and how to fight for your rights as an airline passenger. Next, Katerina says lingerie powerhouse Victoria’s Secret stole her design for a bra, and she’s not going to take it! Plus, have you ever bought a lottery ticket? Witness one man’s recent discovery within the Virginia State Lottery that has him steaming mad. Are lotteries just scams? Learn how you can fight back without suing, and what you should know before you decide to litigate. Join the discussion

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 26, 2008, 1:56 pm CDT

travel nightmares

In response to Mr. Greegberg's comment that the pilot is the one in control of the airplane: Yes,the pilot is in control of what happens on the airplane, but Mr. Greenberg did not take into consideration that there may not have been a gate to take the airplane into in Austin that night, and he should also realize that all the gate agents left the airport and went home, or the the closest watering hole, leaving 100's of passengers with no one to man the gates should the pilot bring the airplane back. Who was available to operate the jet bridge, or bring stairs to the airplane to get the passengers off? The cockpit crew and flight attendants were in no better position than the passengers stuck on the airplane.

I feel that the root of the problem is the attitude of the airline's top management (as they rake in millions of dollars in bonus bucks). The management has little or no concern for the comfort or convenience or its passengers, and even less for its employees.

September 26, 2008, 1:56 pm CDT

They choose not to come on the show.

Quote From: KathySue

Dr. Phil has always said that no matter how flat you make a pancake, it has two sides.  We are only hearing one side of the story about the women who got beat up.  I just don't believe that she would have been handled this roughly unless she was giving the security people problems.  I would love to hear the airport security's side of the story.  But I understand they can't discuss it now because of the lawsuit.   So why not wait to do this story until we can hear both sides of the story??  Let's face it, trouble-makers never admit that they were the ones who caused the problem.   (And nothing that happened to her is worth $10 million dollars.)

It was there choice not to come on the show.  And from the video it didn't look like she did anything to provoke such an attack and even if she said something that doesn't give them the right to assault her.   The government should be pressing criminal charges against the officer who assaulted her not defending them.    It was even caught on tape.   Also the brain has different areas so one area of the brain can be affected, but not others.  That is why she might have certain limitations but not appear limited on the tv show.   I think she was also right that they targeted her because she seemed like an easy target.  

I actually used to work at an airport.  Again not to stereotype all airport security, but some of the people who work in security really aren't that professional-if you heard the comments that they made about attractive women you would be sick.  

September 26, 2008, 1:59 pm CDT

HATE crossing the boarder!

From a Canadian's experience, I have never been treated as badly as I do, when flying into the USA.  This summer, when crossing customs I was searched, fingerprinted, photographed, humliated and harassed until I left the airport to return to my home in Canada sobbing.  When I say I was searched, I mean everything in my bags was inspected.  I don't have a criminal record.   I have heard of the issues with flying for other cultures, but being a twenty something blond female I was shocked that I could be treated like a criminal.  I feel that because I was traveling alone I was singled out. Customs even asked me if I had a boyfriend!
I was held up in customs for so long, that I missed my flight and had the option of booking a flight for the next day ($1,000 one way) or going home.  I phoned United Airlines for a week everyday complaining about my treatment and wanting a refund.  One day after spending 3 hours on the phone, talking to people who don't speak English because their offices are in the middle east, I finally got through to someone.  I was offered a credit for the flight, but not a refund for my extra bag.  I didn't even step onto the plan!
 I was told that Homeland security can treat people however they want and there is nothing you can do.  I will not be crossing the boarder for a long time because the thought of going through that process again terrifies me! Next time I want a vacation, I'll be going to Mexico.  

September 26, 2008, 2:02 pm CDT

I agree & disagree............

Quote From: ibspeaking

I watched the video tape.  The show is not even over and I have to comment.  She mentions that she has tramatic head injury.  She used to write all the time.  Now she has brain damage.  However, with this new health problem she has no problem recollecting exactly what she said to the officers.  I am in no way condoning what happened.  Yes, she was thrown to the ground.  Her arm was pulled behind her back.  Yes her head was wacked into the table.  But she keeps saying she doesn't know why they are beating her up.  There was no beating up.  Where did anyone punch on her???  I just wish she wouldn't exagerate what happened.  The overkill is prompted by an attorney wanting more money. 

Yes, she should sue.  But, please keep in mind these security people are very worried about the fact she is carrying liquid in a container over the size allowed.  Everyone and their dog knows those rules by now.  She flies all over 4 her job, she knows it is wrong.

Again, how is it her brain can recollect in detail exactly what was said and done if she is so brain damaged.????? She communicates well, she can walk, .........

I agree with the fact that she has overstated her injuries, I've had some very serious concussions, one with actual damage to the brain resulting in a true case of amnesia, (I have lost over 1 year of my memory, my life) and another one when I was hit by a car and thrown 20 feet while landing on my head. This is just 2 of the injuries that I've sustained to my head. I don't seem to have the problems that she claims to have. Her head was slammed pretty hard against the counter but, my head has hit the windshield and the pavement with a heck of a lot more force than that! Plus, she once stated that they broke her arm and then it was that they twisted her arm. Does she have a right to sue? You bet! But by exaggerating her injuries she is damaging her credibility.

Do I think she brought this onto herself as others have suggested? No! Sometimes people actually do bad things and lose control for no reason. I have had that happen to me also. So trying to put the blame on her and say that she must have provoked this, I don't buy it. And as to the comment above, I have flown a lot in my lifetime but I haven't done much recently. As a matter of fact, I haven't flown in about 3 years or so. So the comment above "everyone and their dog knows those rules" concerning the containers of liquid.  I have no idea what is the appropriate amount that I am allowed to carry on a plane. So no, me and my cat don't know. I've heard about it, but I have no idea what the limitations are. And as a matter of fact, I happen to find this particular new rule to be ridiculous. When I travel I need certain items to take with me and 3 oz or whatever it is would not be nearly enough for more than 2 days. I don't even have a clue if there's a rule on how many liquid items we are allowed to carry or if there is a rule on that.

When it comes down to being a woman, we use certain items that don't fit into the rules very easily. I don't even know if I'm allowed to pack them into my suitcase instead. But even if I did, the heat would get to it and ruin it. Does a bottle of perfume fall under these rules also? I can't imagine what it would cost to have to replace everything own with tiny bottles just so I can travel.

I don't know how you can state that she wasn't "beat up". You don't have to be punched in the face to take a beating! TSA and the airlines have gotten out of control, and it is getting ridiculous. I'm wanting to fly across the country to visit friends and a sister that I haven't seen in years. But I am disabled and the hoops that you have to jump through are a bit too much for me at this time. So what do I do? Never see my sister again? I've had a bad experience on an airline before, prior to 911, and I wasn't the one at fault but I "was" considered the person who was causing the trouble. So for anyone on this board to make the claim that she instigated this, you must be very naive and have lived a very sheltered life. I get so tired of people blaming someone for the bad things that happen to them and assuming that they brought it onto themselves.

As a matter of fact, this very thing has happened to me on this very message board! Someone accused me of it being "MY" fault that I have become disabled, that I had surgery that resulted in malpractice, and that I had a slimy attorney. Oh yes, my life isn't hard enough, let's put the blame of what others have done to me, on me. When I am in the wrong, I have no problem in saying so and taking responsibility for my own actions. So just a suggestion here. Don't always assume that somebody "asked" for it. Don't be so quick to jump to such conclusions. It happens to be very hurtful when that happens, I should know.

Yes, I realize that I sound angry and defensive here, and I will be the first to admit that I am. But this show has reminded me of the different things that have happened to me, bad things, that I have had no recourse for. It's been my experience that a normal person doesn't have a chance when you go up against "big" business. One time I even did the exact thing that was suggested on the show when you have been treated badly, didn't work for me. The hotel chain, a very big name, refused to take any responsibility because they said that the particular hotel that I had stayed at was individually owned. Whether they owned it themselves or not, I still hold them responsible because it's their name on the business. And not that they care, but they lost a customer!

September 26, 2008, 2:05 pm CDT

Reality Check

I was a police officer at both Washington National and Dulles International Airports for 12 years.  The fact is that most passengers are very cooperative but some are not.  The fact is Robin was convicted of her charges.  The fact is that passengers have historically come to the defense of people they feel should be defended....don't think she had any of those.  Those police officers have a thankless job and work very hard to get along with the flying public.  And we know that in the past a pregnant woman in England attempted to board a plane with a bomb in her suitcase (put there by her boyfriend), a guy tried to blow up a plane with his tennis shoe and we are in an age where anything can be done by anybody - no matter how someone looks.  Who would think box cutters would ultimately take down the World Trade Centers? 

My bottom line is that I don't think Robin was as passive as she would have us believe - and apparently the courts didn't believe it either.

September 26, 2008, 2:06 pm CDT

you blew it today!

I watch  everyday and today is the first time I wished I turned off the show!  you lost your objectivity about the show and got off track.  The airlines don't control airport security! The airlines don't set forth the regulations about  bags, the FAA and TSA  does! The only thing you did today was fuel a fire to make the traveling public even more abusive to the frontline employees of the airlines!!!

Karen ( abused airline employee)

September 26, 2008, 2:11 pm CDT

Kudos to you!

Quote From: bergdorfblonde

Good thing these Uber-Patriots are Protecting The Homeland, right?

Watching the tape it is clear she never presented any resistance. And certainly never acted in a menacing manner. But these alert ersatz police officials don't need to wait for something to happen. Ever vigilant, these vigilantes are right there wherever crime is happening... even if they have to do it themselves.

After they grab her and toss her into another passenger and to the floor, they slam her into the counter. Officer Michael Urbina hit her in the back of the head with his forearm. They cuff her. Notice the guards around her are never acting in anticipation of needing to do backup. Why? Because they know there is no threat. Look how calmly one guy picks up something from the floor he dropped. Notice the woman sitting down opposite the action? She is caught totally by surprise. That means there was no yelling, no altercation, nothing to signal the fact that a woman was going to be thrown into the chairs where she was sitting.

So what was this suspect's international port of call? Uh... she flew in from New York and was flying back there from Reagan National Airport in Washington, DC. Obviously all that cross-border traffic made it easy to identify this threat to the American Way of Life, this evil-doer who Hates Our Freedom. So who is this Imminent Danger? She's a marketing executive on a business trip. What does this scary woman do for a living that justifies the abuse? A quick Google shows her nefarious dealings:

"I specialize in hip, edgy editorial from fashion to entertainment news to beauty. I stay abreast of the latest trends in cosmetics, skin care and hair care. In 2006, I was in the New York Post, Associated Press and Yahoo! News seven times. From smoldering eyes to shimmery lips, I cover the best beauty scoop. I can tell you whether the Chi or Tourmaline will give you more lustrous locks. I have tried out every lip-plumping lip gloss on the market and know which one can plump your precious pout."

ooooh....scary... during the Dr. Phil interview and you can just feel the terror coming out of the screen from this awesomely scary woman.

The only silver lining in this brutal beating is that now it's no longer just Muslims or Arabic looking people, but even blonde girls from Manhattan can have their brains bashed in by the airport rent-a-cops for no apparent reason. And the fact they are on camera offers them not even a moment's hesitation. You would think she might sue them or something. Oh wait... she is suing for 10 Million dollars! Which raises another point about the ungodly amount of money being wasted to "protect" us from beauty marketing executives and other imminent threats to our security .... how much is being wasted on lawsuits and settlements from victims of this overzealous crew of jack-booted thugs?
I loved this post! I agree with you 100%! When it comes down to it, how would you have liked to be the woman who was knocked out of her own chair when this "menace to society" was thrown against her? I am disabled and if I had been in either position, I would have landed in the hospital because of this. On top of that, I could also have very easily sustained new injuries that would compound what is already wrong with me. The only criminal that I saw in that airport was the officer and the others who allowed this to go on without trying to stop him.  

September 26, 2008, 2:20 pm CDT

You're right!

Quote From: marykruger

I think all these guests should sue, but they'll probably be disappointed with the results.
I happen to agree with you. I would also like to add that I am against putting caps on lawsuits. I am the victim of malpractice, but I didn't get to sue my surgeon because by the time I found out what she had really done to me, it was too late to file. Doctors protect other doctors! But even if I had, I would have had to receive at least 2 million dollars just to walk away with a couple of hundred thousand after my attorney got his share, and my medical bills had been paid. Instead I was left with having to pay the balance on 3 separate surgeries after my insurance paid their part. My last surgery was over 1/2 a million dollars. That's not chicken feed! I am no longer able to work and SSD doesn't even come close to my prior wages. It has hurt us financially and now my husband is paying for my doctor's mistake, literally.

September 26, 2008, 2:26 pm CDT

Big (Empty) Attitudes

Here in Canada we had police with a tazer kill a immigrant who clearly needed help, and let the guy who beheaded and cannibalized the Greyhound bus passenger do his thing without any action to stop him.  Those 2 situations showed me alot.   Am tired of authorities taking out their lack of character and desire for prideful power and control on us.  Great show, get that Ralph Nader guy on more often

September 26, 2008, 2:38 pm CDT

Assault in Manchester, England airport in 1996

I walked through the metal detector in the Manchester, England airport.  Unlike the LOUD metal detectors in use in the U.S. at the time, this gave a tiny little beep - so tiny that I thought it was from a detector several aisles over.  I kept walking and was roughly shoved by a huge bully-boy (I am 5'11" and he was HUGE) who yelled at me and shoved me again when I didn't respond fast enough. 

An extremely rude woman came to frisk me and she was so rough that my breasts were badly bruised.  (I assume she was checking for an underwire bra.)  Thankfully my mind was quick enough to think, "You're on foreign soil" and I was very passive.  It turned out that I had my glasses case in my coat pocket, and that had enough metal to activate the alarm.  My pockets were NOT checked prior to the frisking, and once I produced the glasses case I was NOT asked to go back through the metal detector!  I had the woman's thumb and fingerprints on my breasts for several weeks. 

My husband, children, and my parents were ahead of me, and I did not dare call out to ask them to wait because I was afraid my husband and father would try to defend me.  They were a bit cross with me for getting so far behind, and I did not explain because I did not want to upset my children (or involve other family members).  That night as I was getting ready for bed for husband noticed the bruises that were starting to show.  I explained what had happened and he was of course surprised.  By the third day the bruises were a deep purple and he was horrified.

This in no way compares to the ordeal the young lady on your show went through.  And I do have to say - if the could do that to a very attractive young woman who WON"T they attack?  This is truly scarey.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last