Message Boards

Topic : 12/24 Fighting the System

Number of Replies: 109
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, September 22, 2008, 06:59:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard2
(Original Air Date: 09/26/08) To sue or not to sue, that is the question for today’s guests. If you’ve ever felt violated, wronged or scammed, it’s time to learn how to fight for your rights! Dr. Phil’s first guest, Robin, says she was blindsided by officers in an airport when she mistakenly went through security with a bottle of contact solution. She says she was beaten so badly, she thought she might die. See her ordeal caught on tape, and find out what she’s doing about it. Then, after Kate’s plane was grounded for nine hours, and the passengers were without food, water, medical attention or any information, she created the Coalition for an Airline Passenger’s Bill of Rights. Today show travel correspondent Peter Greenberg and longtime consumer advocate Ralph Nader join the show with tips on how to travel safely and how to fight for your rights as an airline passenger. Next, Katerina says lingerie powerhouse Victoria’s Secret stole her design for a bra, and she’s not going to take it! Plus, have you ever bought a lottery ticket? Witness one man’s recent discovery within the Virginia State Lottery that has him steaming mad. Are lotteries just scams? Learn how you can fight back without suing, and what you should know before you decide to litigate. Join the discussion

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 26, 2008, 2:47 pm CDT

Nope! I believe her - you saw the video.

Quote From: tonyfan

You are so right on here.

This story should have waited until the security people had a chance to speak and give their side of the story.

This women is not as innocent as she is making herself out to be and $10 milliion dollars is absolutely ridiculous - I hope that she does not get it.

Shame on your Dr. Phil for not letting both sides speak.

You saw the video!  She was clearly assaulted, and even if she had been rude there was no reason to abuse her and to pitch her into that other woman.  Someone commented on her saying she cannot write anymore, and I believe that as well.  I had a head injury ten years ago and haven't been able to write poetry since. 

September 26, 2008, 2:49 pm CDT

sitting in the toilet

What is not mentioned is that the passenger who was forced to sit in the lav was traveling on an employee pass, not a revenue ticket. He only got the last seat because the flight attendant gave it up for him to get on the aircraft. That in no way means what happened should have happened, but for him to sue is incredible! It should be investigated by the FAA and the appropriate personnel fined, as allowed by the law.

September 26, 2008, 2:55 pm CDT

response to ur response

Quote From: jewelsf

I agree with the fact that she has overstated her injuries, I've had some very serious concussions, one with actual damage to the brain resulting in a true case of amnesia, (I have lost over 1 year of my memory, my life) and another one when I was hit by a car and thrown 20 feet while landing on my head. This is just 2 of the injuries that I've sustained to my head. I don't seem to have the problems that she claims to have. Her head was slammed pretty hard against the counter but, my head has hit the windshield and the pavement with a heck of a lot more force than that! Plus, she once stated that they broke her arm and then it was that they twisted her arm. Does she have a right to sue? You bet! But by exaggerating her injuries she is damaging her credibility.

Do I think she brought this onto herself as others have suggested? No! Sometimes people actually do bad things and lose control for no reason. I have had that happen to me also. So trying to put the blame on her and say that she must have provoked this, I don't buy it. And as to the comment above, I have flown a lot in my lifetime but I haven't done much recently. As a matter of fact, I haven't flown in about 3 years or so. So the comment above "everyone and their dog knows those rules" concerning the containers of liquid.  I have no idea what is the appropriate amount that I am allowed to carry on a plane. So no, me and my cat don't know. I've heard about it, but I have no idea what the limitations are. And as a matter of fact, I happen to find this particular new rule to be ridiculous. When I travel I need certain items to take with me and 3 oz or whatever it is would not be nearly enough for more than 2 days. I don't even have a clue if there's a rule on how many liquid items we are allowed to carry or if there is a rule on that.

When it comes down to being a woman, we use certain items that don't fit into the rules very easily. I don't even know if I'm allowed to pack them into my suitcase instead. But even if I did, the heat would get to it and ruin it. Does a bottle of perfume fall under these rules also? I can't imagine what it would cost to have to replace everything own with tiny bottles just so I can travel.

I don't know how you can state that she wasn't "beat up". You don't have to be punched in the face to take a beating! TSA and the airlines have gotten out of control, and it is getting ridiculous. I'm wanting to fly across the country to visit friends and a sister that I haven't seen in years. But I am disabled and the hoops that you have to jump through are a bit too much for me at this time. So what do I do? Never see my sister again? I've had a bad experience on an airline before, prior to 911, and I wasn't the one at fault but I "was" considered the person who was causing the trouble. So for anyone on this board to make the claim that she instigated this, you must be very naive and have lived a very sheltered life. I get so tired of people blaming someone for the bad things that happen to them and assuming that they brought it onto themselves.

As a matter of fact, this very thing has happened to me on this very message board! Someone accused me of it being "MY" fault that I have become disabled, that I had surgery that resulted in malpractice, and that I had a slimy attorney. Oh yes, my life isn't hard enough, let's put the blame of what others have done to me, on me. When I am in the wrong, I have no problem in saying so and taking responsibility for my own actions. So just a suggestion here. Don't always assume that somebody "asked" for it. Don't be so quick to jump to such conclusions. It happens to be very hurtful when that happens, I should know.

Yes, I realize that I sound angry and defensive here, and I will be the first to admit that I am. But this show has reminded me of the different things that have happened to me, bad things, that I have had no recourse for. It's been my experience that a normal person doesn't have a chance when you go up against "big" business. One time I even did the exact thing that was suggested on the show when you have been treated badly, didn't work for me. The hotel chain, a very big name, refused to take any responsibility because they said that the particular hotel that I had stayed at was individually owned. Whether they owned it themselves or not, I still hold them responsible because it's their name on the business. And not that they care, but they lost a customer!

I am sorry, but she is a seasoned traveler and knows the limitations on the size.  That was my main point.

September 26, 2008, 2:59 pm CDT

Thank you Dr. Phil for a chance to vent...

This is only the tip of the iceberg. Okay, so the companies wanting to be bailed out by taxpayers KNEW congress was about to take 5 weeks off. Why? So THE BIGGEST WELFARE RECIPIENTS can campaign for re-election to Congress. Are you kidding me?

This quick half baked bail out fiasco for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac et al was PLANNED to happen right when Congress is about to take off five weeks to push Congress into a snap judgment decisions. I don't know any other job where, during crisis, you can say we're taking off five weeks to campaign for re-election. OMG(osh)! What's all this City to City speeches by candidates when Americans want common sense ACTION.

QUOTE: "NEW YORK (CNN) -- This Republican-led, do-nothing Congress is on its way home for a five-week vacation. I'm sure while there, they'll be glad to explain to their constituents why they need so much rest in a year in which they will work fewer than 80 days.

The Republicans in Congress have little to brag about when they return home. And the Democrats have a lot of explaining to do, as well. "

This whole orchestrated corporate CEO and Presidential tantrum is like a child making a scene, when parents don't have time to handle well, to play parents to make a rash decision and cash in.

IF USA gets all these loans for bottom dollar auction prices that most are having to settle for might not be a bad deal EXCEPT USA is notorious for being scammed instead by others getting kick backs. I think Americans are ready to kick back and "kick to the curb" these persons who somehow have escaped psychiatric and/or criminal repercussions to run USA past poor house right into a ditch of debt.

Present President is looking for a nice home in Dallas, rumors are. I think that makes everyone wonder who all are getting real estate kick backs on this bail out deal. That is those besides all the Americans without a single million dollar home like Obama or seven homes like McCain or a Ranch like President looking for a second home by Cooper Fitness Center where he use to work out. No, those with foreclosed homes not only lost their homes and lost their credit.

A different set of rules where makes no difference if leaders lose credibility for Oval Office hanky panky or wasting tax dollars playing poker with pet projects of umpteen memorials unto self like Byrd et al and bail outs with slide of hand deals.

Too many career politicians and corporate CEO's have a credibility exemption that only everyone else has to be accountable for consequences of their mistakes. In Presidential and Congressional and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac type alter universes that in anybody else's universe would lead to psychiatric care or a prison... or foreclosure and wrecked credit.

Guess what popped up in junior high schools after the Starr Report: "Rainbow Parties". There is a place for shame to activate good conscience. Of paramount special interest in Washington should always first be America and Americans.

There was a time when people wanted to truly lead and salivated with passion to make America a better place for ALL Americans. Some of the early forefathers even using their own money.

Now, leaders play with taxpayer money like monopoly money while padding their pockets with pensions and medical plans from tax dollars like my mother's who collapsed at work bleeding to death because couldn't afford to go to the doctor. Lots of fellow Americans going without dental and medical care while far too many over paid incompetent leaders from Congress to ENRON can cash in. Including MERCK pharmaceuticals that fudged VIOXX reports that led to deaths of many including my mother. Greed in well dressed suits that suits nobody's purposes except the greedy.

Prove VIOXX killed your loved one even though MERCK hid research did so already knew could. Prove you really need this disability or unemployment. Meanwhile spoiled brat entities like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and Congress don't have to prove anything except they WANT WHAT THEY WANT RIGHT NOW. They don't have to appeal or beg and wait months or years to get watching their lives crumble before them. No, they bulldoze over America and Americans demanding to STEAL and SWINDLE and EXPLOIT and out and out LIE.

Leaders should be passionate to lead to a better place instead of only passionate of the power of being a leader like "look at me". No, look at U.S. Look at us... government of the people, for the people by the people. What a novel and grand idea. Let's practice it by putting into practice. TODAY. Thank you.

"Be the change you want to see."

Recycle Momma of Dallas
Adopter of causes, i.e., recycliing
Motto:
Improve Earth & Children's Fate
Conserve, Recycle & Donate
You, me WE recycling...
SEA

September 26, 2008, 3:05 pm CDT

I too would like to see more of Nadar

Quote From: macgyverfan

Here in Canada we had police with a tazer kill a immigrant who clearly needed help, and let the guy who beheaded and cannibalized the Greyhound bus passenger do his thing without any action to stop him.  Those 2 situations showed me alot.   Am tired of authorities taking out their lack of character and desire for prideful power and control on us.  Great show, get that Ralph Nader guy on more often
Nadar is such an inspirational role model and a great advocate of the people.   His commentary was excellent, as was Peter Greenburg's as well.    Too me the best thing about Nadar is he has never flip-flopped always standing up strong for the people, and being a role model by not using credit cards(being financially and socially responsible in his own life) and using public transporation, etc. These are traits that one rarely sees in todays political leaders.  

I think Nadar said it well, that we don't want to stereotype airport authorities/police, etc, but that there are some who abuse their power.  When they do the government should hold them, accountable and not defend them.  

September 26, 2008, 3:08 pm CDT

Law Suits!

I to am a Victom of the System!!!
For 8 years now I have been fighting for my Legal Right as to collect damages due to a Failed Product of a Medical Device Company.
Eight years ago I had surgery on my lower back and about 8 weeks post-op, one of the cages came apart in my back. Not only did I have to return to surgery to clean up everything in my back floating, but I also now suffer from nerve damage in my right leg and most likely in my left leg. I recently was able to get my Motorized Wheel Chair due to my instability of walking and falling.
It is just plain wrong that they can get by with dragging these cases out for so long, when we have what the Attorney's refer to as The Smoking Gun".
I understand that a lot of cases out there are fake ones where they are wanting to get a quick buck, but mine is far from that. I am very angry that this has taken so long and feel that the laws should be in place to provide these Cases a limited amount of time to settle. We have a 2 year time frame to file these cases, so why do they not  have a limited amount of time to settle?
Sincerely,
Dawn P.

September 26, 2008, 3:18 pm CDT

I'm so mad too

Quote From: yesyoucan

This is only the tip of the iceberg. Okay, so the companies wanting to be bailed out by taxpayers KNEW congress was about to take 5 weeks off. Why? So THE BIGGEST WELFARE RECIPIENTS can campaign for re-election to Congress. Are you kidding me?

This quick half baked bail out fiasco for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac et al was PLANNED to happen right when Congress is about to take off five weeks to push Congress into a snap judgment decisions. I don't know any other job where, during crisis, you can say we're taking off five weeks to campaign for re-election. OMG(osh)! What's all this City to City speeches by candidates when Americans want common sense ACTION.

QUOTE: "NEW YORK (CNN) -- This Republican-led, do-nothing Congress is on its way home for a five-week vacation. I'm sure while there, they'll be glad to explain to their constituents why they need so much rest in a year in which they will work fewer than 80 days.

The Republicans in Congress have little to brag about when they return home. And the Democrats have a lot of explaining to do, as well. "

This whole orchestrated corporate CEO and Presidential tantrum is like a child making a scene, when parents don't have time to handle well, to play parents to make a rash decision and cash in.

IF USA gets all these loans for bottom dollar auction prices that most are having to settle for might not be a bad deal EXCEPT USA is notorious for being scammed instead by others getting kick backs. I think Americans are ready to kick back and "kick to the curb" these persons who somehow have escaped psychiatric and/or criminal repercussions to run USA past poor house right into a ditch of debt.

Present President is looking for a nice home in Dallas, rumors are. I think that makes everyone wonder who all are getting real estate kick backs on this bail out deal. That is those besides all the Americans without a single million dollar home like Obama or seven homes like McCain or a Ranch like President looking for a second home by Cooper Fitness Center where he use to work out. No, those with foreclosed homes not only lost their homes and lost their credit.

A different set of rules where makes no difference if leaders lose credibility for Oval Office hanky panky or wasting tax dollars playing poker with pet projects of umpteen memorials unto self like Byrd et al and bail outs with slide of hand deals.

Too many career politicians and corporate CEO's have a credibility exemption that only everyone else has to be accountable for consequences of their mistakes. In Presidential and Congressional and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac type alter universes that in anybody else's universe would lead to psychiatric care or a prison... or foreclosure and wrecked credit.

Guess what popped up in junior high schools after the Starr Report: "Rainbow Parties". There is a place for shame to activate good conscience. Of paramount special interest in Washington should always first be America and Americans.

There was a time when people wanted to truly lead and salivated with passion to make America a better place for ALL Americans. Some of the early forefathers even using their own money.

Now, leaders play with taxpayer money like monopoly money while padding their pockets with pensions and medical plans from tax dollars like my mother's who collapsed at work bleeding to death because couldn't afford to go to the doctor. Lots of fellow Americans going without dental and medical care while far too many over paid incompetent leaders from Congress to ENRON can cash in. Including MERCK pharmaceuticals that fudged VIOXX reports that led to deaths of many including my mother. Greed in well dressed suits that suits nobody's purposes except the greedy.

Prove VIOXX killed your loved one even though MERCK hid research did so already knew could. Prove you really need this disability or unemployment. Meanwhile spoiled brat entities like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and Congress don't have to prove anything except they WANT WHAT THEY WANT RIGHT NOW. They don't have to appeal or beg and wait months or years to get watching their lives crumble before them. No, they bulldoze over America and Americans demanding to STEAL and SWINDLE and EXPLOIT and out and out LIE.

Leaders should be passionate to lead to a better place instead of only passionate of the power of being a leader like "look at me". No, look at U.S. Look at us... government of the people, for the people by the people. What a novel and grand idea. Let's practice it by putting into practice. TODAY. Thank you.

"Be the change you want to see."

Recycle Momma of Dallas
Adopter of causes, i.e., recycliing
Motto:
Improve Earth & Children's Fate
Conserve, Recycle & Donate
You, me WE recycling...
SEA

I feel sick.  I can't believe the government has gotten this corrupt. 

Well tying, it back to today's show, just remember this-in most states you do have options.   Let's show these sellouts that we are going to take back the country.   Let's elect the first third party president or at least lets elect some third party candidates to Congress.  

If no one else will take a stand of this theft of tax payer dollars Nadar will.  To quote Nadar from his website www.nadar.org in an entry posted on Wed Sept. 24th"Congress needs to show some backbone before the federal government pours more money of the financial bonfire started by the arsonists on wall street".  

These are words you won't hear coming from the party(oops sorry I meant either party).  

September 26, 2008, 3:27 pm CDT

Fighting The System Logically

I think the only logical way to fight the system is to first have a very strong case and secondly to have a lawyer that is taking a percentage of the contract so that way they pay the bills and you just sit and wait patiently. Any other course of action will cost you a bundle of headaches and cash.

September 26, 2008, 3:34 pm CDT

Fighting the System - Airport Guards

Although I agreed completely with all of the topics on todays show, I did find that there was no mention of the guards themselves. Having experienced what it is to live on a daily basis in a situation that could be life threatening, I can see why a few will be overwelmed by the pressure it takes to do the job as an airport guard. I think we should from time to time make sure our airport guards are in good spirits and not over tasked by the pressures of one of the scariest jobs out there.

God Bless...

September 26, 2008, 3:37 pm CDT

Don't forget the good experiences

While I too have written to corporations regarding poor customer service, I also make it a point to write letters recognizing quality customer service.  I think its important to recognize both good and bad service so that the companies know what they need to do to make changes - hoping they will make changes.

I think most people have had at least a few bad flights in the past, but how many good ones went unrecognized?  The best thing to do is to write down the date, flight number and any or all flight crew members who were either helpful or rude.  I've gotten some nice responses from airlines thanking me for pointing out who's doing what (both good and bad), and have even received a few flight discount coupons which were unexpected, but nice. 

As I have worked in the customer service field for over 20 years, I know what its like to get an earful about a bad policy that I had nothing to do with passing, but must adhere to, whether I liked it or not.  Its very hard not to get upset or react when a customer is taking out his frustrations on you.  I had a customer vent and then storm out at a policy I had to follow which meant he wasn't getting what he wanted.  He returned the following day with a single rose and his sincere apology.  That brought me to tears more than his previous day's venting.  It was very sweet of this customer, but I understood his frustration and hadn't held his rant against him.  Actually, if he hadn't returned, I doubt I would have even remembered the incedent at all.

I'm also lucky enough to have received a written commendation from a customer that blew me away.  It was so nice for this woman to take the time and write a nice letter that its left me with the need to do the same for others.  I think if more "nice" letters were written, the customer service representatives out there would be a lot easier to deal with.  And in this day and age of a huge lack of customer service, we must remind the corporations that if not for quality customer service, they'd all be out of business. 

We also need to remember that the amount of stress and frustration we feel being stuck in a plane for whatever reason has to be multiplied by the crew.  We only have a few others to deal with and they have a few hundred.  If parents would take responsibility for their unruly children and travelers try to relax at something that might be unavoidable (at least for a little while) it would keep things calmer.  The more bitching and moaning going on, the worse things get.  I'm not giving an excuse for delays or rude behavior by the crew, but I am suggesting the next time any of us is stuck in one of these miserable situations, to take a deep breath, count to 20 and exhale.  Try to look at it from both sides before giving into the need to scream. 

Remember folks, the customer service people we deal with are not the ones setting the rules and regulations, they're just the ones who are forced to adhere to them.  So if you want to make yourself heard, go to the top and stop picking on the little guy.  And little guy, try like hell to grin and bare the ranting you might be receiving and apologize, apologize, apologize.  If you can keep your wits about you, you'll come out smelling like a rose.  Killing them with kindness does work!  Also, have handy to whom irate customers can write as your hands are tied, but their's are not. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last