Message Boards

Topic : 12/24 Fighting the System

Number of Replies: 109
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, September 22, 2008, 06:59:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard2
(Original Air Date: 09/26/08) To sue or not to sue, that is the question for today’s guests. If you’ve ever felt violated, wronged or scammed, it’s time to learn how to fight for your rights! Dr. Phil’s first guest, Robin, says she was blindsided by officers in an airport when she mistakenly went through security with a bottle of contact solution. She says she was beaten so badly, she thought she might die. See her ordeal caught on tape, and find out what she’s doing about it. Then, after Kate’s plane was grounded for nine hours, and the passengers were without food, water, medical attention or any information, she created the Coalition for an Airline Passenger’s Bill of Rights. Today show travel correspondent Peter Greenberg and longtime consumer advocate Ralph Nader join the show with tips on how to travel safely and how to fight for your rights as an airline passenger. Next, Katerina says lingerie powerhouse Victoria’s Secret stole her design for a bra, and she’s not going to take it! Plus, have you ever bought a lottery ticket? Witness one man’s recent discovery within the Virginia State Lottery that has him steaming mad. Are lotteries just scams? Learn how you can fight back without suing, and what you should know before you decide to litigate. Join the discussion

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 26, 2008, 3:39 pm CDT

a.... word?

At the last segment of the show I believe I've heard Dr. Phil using a.... word, twice. Is it my hearing or the show is stepping down to a whole new level?

September 26, 2008, 3:41 pm CDT

Brain Injuries Are Complicated

Quote From: jewelsf

I agree with the fact that she has overstated her injuries, I've had some very serious concussions, one with actual damage to the brain resulting in a true case of amnesia, (I have lost over 1 year of my memory, my life) and another one when I was hit by a car and thrown 20 feet while landing on my head. This is just 2 of the injuries that I've sustained to my head. I don't seem to have the problems that she claims to have. Her head was slammed pretty hard against the counter but, my head has hit the windshield and the pavement with a heck of a lot more force than that! Plus, she once stated that they broke her arm and then it was that they twisted her arm. Does she have a right to sue? You bet! But by exaggerating her injuries she is damaging her credibility.

Do I think she brought this onto herself as others have suggested? No! Sometimes people actually do bad things and lose control for no reason. I have had that happen to me also. So trying to put the blame on her and say that she must have provoked this, I don't buy it. And as to the comment above, I have flown a lot in my lifetime but I haven't done much recently. As a matter of fact, I haven't flown in about 3 years or so. So the comment above "everyone and their dog knows those rules" concerning the containers of liquid.  I have no idea what is the appropriate amount that I am allowed to carry on a plane. So no, me and my cat don't know. I've heard about it, but I have no idea what the limitations are. And as a matter of fact, I happen to find this particular new rule to be ridiculous. When I travel I need certain items to take with me and 3 oz or whatever it is would not be nearly enough for more than 2 days. I don't even have a clue if there's a rule on how many liquid items we are allowed to carry or if there is a rule on that.

When it comes down to being a woman, we use certain items that don't fit into the rules very easily. I don't even know if I'm allowed to pack them into my suitcase instead. But even if I did, the heat would get to it and ruin it. Does a bottle of perfume fall under these rules also? I can't imagine what it would cost to have to replace everything own with tiny bottles just so I can travel.

I don't know how you can state that she wasn't "beat up". You don't have to be punched in the face to take a beating! TSA and the airlines have gotten out of control, and it is getting ridiculous. I'm wanting to fly across the country to visit friends and a sister that I haven't seen in years. But I am disabled and the hoops that you have to jump through are a bit too much for me at this time. So what do I do? Never see my sister again? I've had a bad experience on an airline before, prior to 911, and I wasn't the one at fault but I "was" considered the person who was causing the trouble. So for anyone on this board to make the claim that she instigated this, you must be very naive and have lived a very sheltered life. I get so tired of people blaming someone for the bad things that happen to them and assuming that they brought it onto themselves.

As a matter of fact, this very thing has happened to me on this very message board! Someone accused me of it being "MY" fault that I have become disabled, that I had surgery that resulted in malpractice, and that I had a slimy attorney. Oh yes, my life isn't hard enough, let's put the blame of what others have done to me, on me. When I am in the wrong, I have no problem in saying so and taking responsibility for my own actions. So just a suggestion here. Don't always assume that somebody "asked" for it. Don't be so quick to jump to such conclusions. It happens to be very hurtful when that happens, I should know.

Yes, I realize that I sound angry and defensive here, and I will be the first to admit that I am. But this show has reminded me of the different things that have happened to me, bad things, that I have had no recourse for. It's been my experience that a normal person doesn't have a chance when you go up against "big" business. One time I even did the exact thing that was suggested on the show when you have been treated badly, didn't work for me. The hotel chain, a very big name, refused to take any responsibility because they said that the particular hotel that I had stayed at was individually owned. Whether they owned it themselves or not, I still hold them responsible because it's their name on the business. And not that they care, but they lost a customer!

So sorry to hear about your brain injuries and situation.   Brain Injuries are complicated as there are different areas of the brain and one area could be greatly impacted while other areas could be fine-this would make it very difficult to pass judgment based on a 1 hour show, that probably featured less than 15 minutes on the one particular case.  

I would have been skeptical, if the whole thing had not been video taped and if the tape did not show that is was obvious that she was attacked and did nothing to provoke an attack of that magnitude.    As for the other side they didn't want to be on the show and didn't even bother to send the traditional annoying we are to lazy to show up, but here is our ridiculous disclaimer letter.  

I too have had issues with big businesses.  They are very difficult to fight and our corrupt government makes it even harder to win against them.   People mocking, people when they do win doesn't help either.  When I have problems with a big business, I try to let as many people know about it as I can to loose them as much business as possible.   Of course given, that one of them is a financial instituion whose stock has fallen about 30 dollars a share in less than a year because they were so corrupt and horrible, I am expecting that the joke will still be on me, because when they collapse due to their own selfishness and greed the government will just bail them out anyway, on my tax payer dollars.  

September 26, 2008, 3:51 pm CDT

Over stressed or power mad? or Both

I feel sorry for the woman that was obviously abused by the private police/security force at the airport.

It amazes me that many message boarders want to blame the victim. 

Everyone has the right to question people in places of authority...that is our basic right...we are not subservient to security guards/police.  They are supposed to be there to help keep us safe; Not take out their stress on us.  So even IF - IF - the woman had asked why or anything else that doesn't warrant the physical abuse she received.  As Dr. Phil pointed out the male Police Officer that started the abuse of the woman was obviously aggitated prior to speaking to her......Was he looking for someone to vent his stress out on? Did she somehow remind him of someone he was angry with?  It LOOKED on the video that he was LOOKING TO HURT SOMEONE and she happened to be the victim...he was a bomb ready to explode.

What is scariest about the incident is that it points to a pattern in our society where we are seeing this type of thing far too often (from police who are supposed to protect us and treat us in a professional manner); If we can no longer TRUST the police and others in similar positons (security guards/TSA) then what happens? 

Do these "private police personnel" go through quarterly stress evaluations? And why do the Authorities over these police always state "they were acting within acceptable limits".  If abuse is acceptable then we have a national crisis. 

Will the society end up in anarchy? If we love our country we have to raise our voices and demand better treatment. 

September 26, 2008, 4:05 pm CDT

More Like Stepping It Up

Quote From: an_na1574

At the last segment of the show I believe I've heard Dr. Phil using a.... word, twice. Is it my hearing or the show is stepping down to a whole new level?

The show was awesome.   Dr. Phil is now not only holding people accountable now, he is also holding the big corrupt corporations accountable now as well (which given what is going on in Congress now I might add is a very timely subject). 

Keep fighting the good fight Dr. Phil!   How about a fighting the system part II?  

September 26, 2008, 4:52 pm CDT

09/26 Fighting the System

Quote From: trishc1153

I was a police officer at both Washington National and Dulles International Airports for 12 years.  The fact is that most passengers are very cooperative but some are not.  The fact is Robin was convicted of her charges.  The fact is that passengers have historically come to the defense of people they feel should be defended....don't think she had any of those.  Those police officers have a thankless job and work very hard to get along with the flying public.  And we know that in the past a pregnant woman in England attempted to board a plane with a bomb in her suitcase (put there by her boyfriend), a guy tried to blow up a plane with his tennis shoe and we are in an age where anything can be done by anybody - no matter how someone looks.  Who would think box cutters would ultimately take down the World Trade Centers? 

My bottom line is that I don't think Robin was as passive as she would have us believe - and apparently the courts didn't believe it either.

WAY TO GO.

MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY.

SHE IS NOT THE INNOCENT PARTY HERE - JUST ON TV TO MAKE A NAME FOR HERSELF AND WIN SOME SYMPATHY VOTES!

September 26, 2008, 4:57 pm CDT

09/26 Fighting the System

Quote From: jeanierp

You saw the video!  She was clearly assaulted, and even if she had been rude there was no reason to abuse her and to pitch her into that other woman.  Someone commented on her saying she cannot write anymore, and I believe that as well.  I had a head injury ten years ago and haven't been able to write poetry since. 

If you were watching the video, even without sound, you can clearly see that she is arguing with them.

Obviously enough for security to take the action the did - maybe too rough at times.

She is a seasoned traveller and she should have known what she could and could not take on the trip.

Just another money hungry, publicity gaining person.

September 26, 2008, 5:04 pm CDT

I guess every knows need to register to vote by October 6, 08.

Quote From: trigreen

I feel sick.  I can't believe the government has gotten this corrupt. 

Well tying, it back to today's show, just remember this-in most states you do have options.   Let's show these sellouts that we are going to take back the country.   Let's elect the first third party president or at least lets elect some third party candidates to Congress.  

If no one else will take a stand of this theft of tax payer dollars Nadar will.  To quote Nadar from his website www.nadar.org in an entry posted on Wed Sept. 24th"Congress needs to show some backbone before the federal government pours more money of the financial bonfire started by the arsonists on wall street".  

These are words you won't hear coming from the party(oops sorry I meant either party).  
I voted for Ralph Nader one year. Being friends with a republican gone democrat full throttle and a republican lifer... Between them and the news and the candidates mudslinging... They all convinced me neither candidate worth my vote. So... I voted for Ralph Nader. I always liked Ralph Nader's opinion on 60 Minutes in 70's I guess it was. Then, news alarmists said all those of us who voted for Ralph Nader was like throwing our vote away.

http://allpoetry.com/contest/2421553

I was surprised at above link that most of six to nine entries are for Obama. I think all but one. Either way, at above link, there's a link for McCain, Obama official websites to register to vote online so both say. Also, there's a link for Nader and Ron Paul.

I do agree that Nader should have been allowed in the debates instead of the White House always up for sale by whoever has the most dollars. I think all who were running should have gotten to run the full race instead of just two. I'm tired of who I'm for eliminated by all this PARTY jogging for position.

Dr. Phil said on Jay Leno that he felt most persons in voting booth are scared by what's available to vote for. True for me.

McCain was told to leave Washington, D.C. by colleagues in his own party today. I'm still undecided and will watch the debates tonight.

I think double standard that nobody in media has mentioned the excellent strategy of Nader choosing Gonzalez for his running mate. Some candidates speak out of both sides of their mouth and in Spanish and some choose a running mate with a Spanish name. Not saying that does or does not include one or both of final candidates left in race that will debate tonight at 8 p.m. Central Time. BTW: Vice Presidential Debate is next week, October 2nd, I believe.

There's a lot of ethnic pride involved in this election which I TOTALLY understand. I think there could be an upset because if I was of the same ethnic group of Nader's VP, Gonzalez... Well, Gonzalez name is usually equated with that ethnic group and IF I saw Gonzalez on ballot... That'd be a strong temptation as pretty normal for all to have a bit of ethnic pride... Just like there are colorful battles on football fields over teams proudly wearing school's colors.

Ironically, school colors reminds me of our school song when I was on pep squad the year THE most popular students a black young man, Maurice, and his sister at Central Junior High about 1968. Maybe our only black students and they walked with economic confidence KNOWING richest students in my school. I say, ironically, because their parents were professors at University of OK, there thought Maurice and his sister were too good for our school. Their parents transferred them to West Junior High where I would have LOVED to attend but didn't have the economic connections to go there since didn't live in that district. There, too, they might have been only black students. However, in my home town what made you THE IN CROWD was having parents that worked at University of Oklahoma where everyone became red and white school colors like my home town.

Anyway, song but first... BTW "the PARTY" subtle humor connection made. LOLz Seems if both PARTY candidates plan to be bipartisan they could begin now during campaign with each other.

Okay, now off to memory lane... where school color pride not much different than ethnic pride... What's even better in USA is to unite via American Pride "one for all and all for one". Red, white and blue and me and you. WE. Sincerely, SEA

CENTRAL JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL SONG:

Black and White forever
Shout victory
VICTORY
Our school and our team
We're the best
We're one for all and all for one
We'll make these golden school days
A glorious success
Three cheers for our team
GO TEAM GO
for dear old dear old CJH

Actually, above is how I feel about Dr. Phil Website, too, where we all share in common... our texted words... Thanks for reading mine and sharing yours. I'll be pondering your opinion and others here on my walk I'm heading off on after this post as I assimilate and grow beyond or firmer in my own opinions.

God Bless You, America, THE WORLD and us all with the best choices because life is like economics: Choice. Exercise your rights registering, if haven't yet, then voting for whoever you choose. "Be the change you want to see"... Me too. We too.

September 26, 2008, 5:10 pm CDT

Questioning Authority

Quote From: goochland2ny

I feel sorry for the woman that was obviously abused by the private police/security force at the airport.

It amazes me that many message boarders want to blame the victim. 

Everyone has the right to question people in places of authority...that is our basic right...we are not subservient to security guards/police.  They are supposed to be there to help keep us safe; Not take out their stress on us.  So even IF - IF - the woman had asked why or anything else that doesn't warrant the physical abuse she received.  As Dr. Phil pointed out the male Police Officer that started the abuse of the woman was obviously aggitated prior to speaking to her......Was he looking for someone to vent his stress out on? Did she somehow remind him of someone he was angry with?  It LOOKED on the video that he was LOOKING TO HURT SOMEONE and she happened to be the victim...he was a bomb ready to explode.

What is scariest about the incident is that it points to a pattern in our society where we are seeing this type of thing far too often (from police who are supposed to protect us and treat us in a professional manner); If we can no longer TRUST the police and others in similar positons (security guards/TSA) then what happens? 

Do these "private police personnel" go through quarterly stress evaluations? And why do the Authorities over these police always state "they were acting within acceptable limits".  If abuse is acceptable then we have a national crisis. 

Will the society end up in anarchy? If we love our country we have to raise our voices and demand better treatment. 

I agree that we do have the right to question those we entrusted with a position of authority, more often than not most people give their power away.

It reminds me of my math teacher whow was giving another teacher and I a ride home.

He was behing a police officer on the high way, me and the female teacher were chatting, then wham, my math teacher hits the gas and passes the police officer!

We both looked at my math teacher in asonishment, and said You just passed a police officer!

He looked at us both oddly and said very calmly , Yes, yes I did, he was not going the speed limit.

I literaly laughed out loud and began to evaluate my feelings towards authority.

Needless to say i probably am not the only one that have these gut reactions to authority or what i percive to be upsurping authority lol.

today i am a  older and wiser person, and have come to realize no matter how much power we allow an individual to have, they are still human beings first and foremost. They make mistakes, they can lose control over and abuse their power. They can be held accountable, but I think one has to realize that it has to be the people that allowed these people to have power in the fist place.

So haven said that I really do hope that all the individuals on the show win their cases, these are legitimate cases.

I just would like to add, for the woman that was battered by those officers in the airport terminal, I was horified when i seen that video! Excesive? WOWO in a big way! What they did to you was way wrong and in my opinion seriously an abuse of position.

Tammy

September 26, 2008, 5:50 pm CDT

failed by the system

Tell me would you sue if you found out the police dept. knew your two year old child had been molested and never told you or your husband? How would you feel finding this out one year after the fact? And finding this out through an email  from the prosecutors office responding to you about not holding a doctor accountable for failing to report suspected abuse on your nephew? Our two year old baby is one of five victims........... She and her brother and sister were assaulted. What would you do. How would you get help for your family. I don't know what else to do. I have two children under age five that have identity disorders. Anyone that can help us please come forward.

September 26, 2008, 6:11 pm CDT

Fighting the system

Quote From: three3bettins

What is not mentioned is that the passenger who was forced to sit in the lav was traveling on an employee pass, not a revenue ticket. He only got the last seat because the flight attendant gave it up for him to get on the aircraft. That in no way means what happened should have happened, but for him to sue is incredible! It should be investigated by the FAA and the appropriate personnel fined, as allowed by the law.

All of this is true.  And also I had heard that this was a flight attendant's boyfriend and a suit was not filed until she was fired by the company. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last