Message Boards

Topic : 12/24 Fighting the System

Number of Replies: 109
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, September 22, 2008, 06:59:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard2
(Original Air Date: 09/26/08) To sue or not to sue, that is the question for today’s guests. If you’ve ever felt violated, wronged or scammed, it’s time to learn how to fight for your rights! Dr. Phil’s first guest, Robin, says she was blindsided by officers in an airport when she mistakenly went through security with a bottle of contact solution. She says she was beaten so badly, she thought she might die. See her ordeal caught on tape, and find out what she’s doing about it. Then, after Kate’s plane was grounded for nine hours, and the passengers were without food, water, medical attention or any information, she created the Coalition for an Airline Passenger’s Bill of Rights. Today show travel correspondent Peter Greenberg and longtime consumer advocate Ralph Nader join the show with tips on how to travel safely and how to fight for your rights as an airline passenger. Next, Katerina says lingerie powerhouse Victoria’s Secret stole her design for a bra, and she’s not going to take it! Plus, have you ever bought a lottery ticket? Witness one man’s recent discovery within the Virginia State Lottery that has him steaming mad. Are lotteries just scams? Learn how you can fight back without suing, and what you should know before you decide to litigate. Join the discussion

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 25, 2008, 6:25 pm CDT

Suing

I think all these guests should sue, but they'll probably be disappointed with the results.

September 26, 2008, 9:06 am CDT

to sue or not to sue

This society has become sue happy.  You can sue for anything. What is a sad state of affairs is that lawyers are willing to file a suit for you, for a huge retainer and fees, over anything and everything and our courts allow them to be heard no matter how rediculous they are.  Even worse is that huge awards are given for very frivilous reasons.  Many times huge awards are given to people who cause their own problems despite the warnings posted for your own protection.  Or plain common sense.  I bring to mind the woman who sued McDonalds for their hot coffee injuring her.  What part of "HOT' didn't she understand. What would she of done if they, in order to prevent anything like from happening, gave her luke warm coffee?  She could of sued them for advertising hot coffee and got warm instead.  That was a suit that should of never been litigated.  For anyone that is interested in seeing just what some people sue over and get big awards just do a search of stupid lawsuits. 

Then there are the ones that have a ligitiment reason to sue.  The ones, due to the frivilious ones clogging up our legal systems, take forever to resolve.  Often times the one filing the suit give up or settle for very little in compensation.  On occasion some people make it their personal goals to do something and let it be known to all what goes on in our world.  But most take it and walk away hoping to never be caught in something like that again.  This instance is one that needs to be taken to that level and I hope she wins.  But I doubt that it will prevent that from happening over and over to others. 

It is unsettling that people working in enviroments where they have the utmost control over other people, in the name of secuity or professionals that have control over you for any reason, take that to mean they can abuse people and people have no recourse without adding to the problem.  The lady that got beaten at the airport.  If she had fought back she, most likely, would of added the charges of resisting and assult on security staff.   You put some people in that power, they abuse it with little or no worry of being accountable for their actions.  It's got to a sorry state where people in authority can abuse and beat on you and you can't fight back without severe legal implications. 

Where does it stop when authorities have the power to do as they please for little or no reason?  You see it in all forms and in all agencies that deal with the public.  People given a position and the right to be bullies anytime they feel the urge.  I think this is becoming a sorry society we are living in.  From our schools to life in general.  You get wronged and what you face are those who care less other then the dollar figure.  It's more a battle over the dollar amount then fixing the problem. 

I, personally, only have sued one person in my lifetime.  It was due to the attempt of an individual to cheat me out of thousands of dollars.  I won but it took two years and thousands of dollars to win my case.  When it should of, by reasonable people, been settled it in a few minutes.  The ones that made out the most.  lawyers on both sides.  I have many instances where I could of sued over many things according to our society but wouldn't.  Because it was just plain stupid. 

September 26, 2008, 10:53 am CDT

Check your luggage and constitutional rights at the curb

Good thing these Uber-Patriots are Protecting The Homeland, right?

Watching the tape it is clear she never presented any resistance. And certainly never acted in a menacing manner. But these alert ersatz police officials don't need to wait for something to happen. Ever vigilant, these vigilantes are right there wherever crime is happening... even if they have to do it themselves.

After they grab her and toss her into another passenger and to the floor, they slam her into the counter. Officer Michael Urbina hit her in the back of the head with his forearm. They cuff her. Notice the guards around her are never acting in anticipation of needing to do backup. Why? Because they know there is no threat. Look how calmly one guy picks up something from the floor he dropped. Notice the woman sitting down opposite the action? She is caught totally by surprise. That means there was no yelling, no altercation, nothing to signal the fact that a woman was going to be thrown into the chairs where she was sitting.

So what was this suspect's international port of call? Uh... she flew in from New York and was flying back there from Reagan National Airport in Washington, DC. Obviously all that cross-border traffic made it easy to identify this threat to the American Way of Life, this evil-doer who Hates Our Freedom. So who is this Imminent Danger? She's a marketing executive on a business trip. What does this scary woman do for a living that justifies the abuse? A quick Google shows her nefarious dealings:

"I specialize in hip, edgy editorial from fashion to entertainment news to beauty. I stay abreast of the latest trends in cosmetics, skin care and hair care. In 2006, I was in the New York Post, Associated Press and Yahoo! News seven times. From smoldering eyes to shimmery lips, I cover the best beauty scoop. I can tell you whether the Chi or Tourmaline will give you more lustrous locks. I have tried out every lip-plumping lip gloss on the market and know which one can plump your precious pout."

ooooh....scary... during the Dr. Phil interview and you can just feel the terror coming out of the screen from this awesomely scary woman.

The only silver lining in this brutal beating is that now it's no longer just Muslims or Arabic looking people, but even blonde girls from Manhattan can have their brains bashed in by the airport rent-a-cops for no apparent reason. And the fact they are on camera offers them not even a moment's hesitation. You would think she might sue them or something. Oh wait... she is suing for 10 Million dollars! Which raises another point about the ungodly amount of money being wasted to "protect" us from beauty marketing executives and other imminent threats to our security .... how much is being wasted on lawsuits and settlements from victims of this overzealous crew of jack-booted thugs?

September 26, 2008, 12:24 pm CDT

just my opinion

I watched the video tape.  The show is not even over and I have to comment.  She mentions that she has tramatic head injury.  She used to write all the time.  Now she has brain damage.  However, with this new health problem she has no problem recollecting exactly what she said to the officers.  I am in no way condoning what happened.  Yes, she was thrown to the ground.  Her arm was pulled behind her back.  Yes her head was wacked into the table.  But she keeps saying she doesn't know why they are beating her up.  There was no beating up.  Where did anyone punch on her???  I just wish she wouldn't exagerate what happened.  The overkill is prompted by an attorney wanting more money. 

Yes, she should sue.  But, please keep in mind these security people are very worried about the fact she is carrying liquid in a container over the size allowed.  Everyone and their dog knows those rules by now.  She flies all over 4 her job, she knows it is wrong.

Again, how is it her brain can recollect in detail exactly what was said and done if she is so brain damaged.????? She communicates well, she can walk, .........

September 26, 2008, 12:28 pm CDT

woman who got beat up at airport

Dr. Phil has always said that no matter how flat you make a pancake, it has two sides.  We are only hearing one side of the story about the women who got beat up.  I just don't believe that she would have been handled this roughly unless she was giving the security people problems.  I would love to hear the airport security's side of the story.  But I understand they can't discuss it now because of the lawsuit.   So why not wait to do this story until we can hear both sides of the story??  Let's face it, trouble-makers never admit that they were the ones who caused the problem.   (And nothing that happened to her is worth $10 million dollars.)

September 26, 2008, 1:13 pm CDT

Absolute Power Corrupts

The TSA/ICE/NSA/Federal Government has become drunk with power.  My 14 year old son is not allowed to print out online boarding passes because his name is similar to or the same as someone who is on a Watch List.  I've tried to get him removed, but I was told that 'his' name is on the very highest list and there is no way of getting him off.  Does no one have any sense?  My son is not being treated as innocent until proven guilty.  I worry for when he turns 18 and is no longer a child but is considered a 'suspect'.  What other services and rights will he be denied?

[Meanwhile, my ex, who is a criminal (unconvicted) and has financial judgements against him, is able to fly all around the world (working for a foreign airline) and live with impunity.]

September 26, 2008, 1:16 pm CDT

09/26 Fighting the System

Quote From: KathySue

Dr. Phil has always said that no matter how flat you make a pancake, it has two sides.  We are only hearing one side of the story about the women who got beat up.  I just don't believe that she would have been handled this roughly unless she was giving the security people problems.  I would love to hear the airport security's side of the story.  But I understand they can't discuss it now because of the lawsuit.   So why not wait to do this story until we can hear both sides of the story??  Let's face it, trouble-makers never admit that they were the ones who caused the problem.   (And nothing that happened to her is worth $10 million dollars.)

You have no idea how crazy drunk with power these little people are.  I totally believe the guest!

September 26, 2008, 1:24 pm CDT

Quote From: ibspeaking

I watched the video tape.  The show is not even over and I have to comment.  She mentions that she has tramatic head injury.  She used to write all the time.  Now she has brain damage.  However, with this new health problem she has no problem recollecting exactly what she said to the officers.  I am in no way condoning what happened.  Yes, she was thrown to the ground.  Her arm was pulled behind her back.  Yes her head was wacked into the table.  But she keeps saying she doesn't know why they are beating her up.  There was no beating up.  Where did anyone punch on her???  I just wish she wouldn't exagerate what happened.  The overkill is prompted by an attorney wanting more money. 

Yes, she should sue.  But, please keep in mind these security people are very worried about the fact she is carrying liquid in a container over the size allowed.  Everyone and their dog knows those rules by now.  She flies all over 4 her job, she knows it is wrong.

Again, how is it her brain can recollect in detail exactly what was said and done if she is so brain damaged.????? She communicates well, she can walk, .........

I totally agree with you!

I am in the midst of watching this and I cannot see the punches that would constitute her saying she was beat up.

And she does have a great recollection of exactly what she said to the officers and what they said to her and yet she states she cannot write anymore as she has brain damage?  And she keept stating that she did not know she was getting beat up?  Come on - if someone was beating me up, I would know it.

I dont think she is telling Dr. Phil everything and that she must have said something that made them suspicious and why they reacted the way they did.

Another person out wanting money!!!

September 26, 2008, 1:29 pm CDT

Quote From: KathySue

You are so right on here.

This story should have waited until the security people had a chance to speak and give their side of the story.

This women is not as innocent as she is making herself out to be and $10 milliion dollars is absolutely ridiculous - I hope that she does not get it.

Shame on your Dr. Phil for not letting both sides speak.

September 26, 2008, 1:45 pm CDT

Best Dr. Phil Show EVER!!!

I loved this show-my favorite ever.  First, I was so glad to see Ralph Nadar on the show.  He is the real deal-he is the responsibility candidate-and he is the candidate that will stand up for the people.  Better yet he practices what he preaches.  

I loved the quotes about the airlines-my favorite being there are too types of luggage-carry on and lost.  I used to work at an airport about 6 years ago and say many interesting things.

Shame on Victoria's Secret.  I won't be buying any bras from them any time soon.  I am glad that she was able to get her bras sold elsewhere and I hope she gets her case to court and wins big time.   

I have never been a fan of the lottery.  I prefer putting my money into savings where it can earn interest.  

It is sickening how corporations now run the government and how much power the government has given them.   The whole bailout makes me want to move to Canada or Europe.   I can't believe it has gotten this far where the government can now steal your money (tax dollars) to give to major corporations, allow its employees to injure you and then defend them, and allow people to be imprisoned on planes for hours.  

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last