Message Boards

Topic : 10/02 Stressed Out to the Max

Number of Replies: 116
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 26, 2008, 02:41:46 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard3

Did you know stress can take years off your life and even kill you? If you feel overwhelmed, overscheduled or overextended, you don't want to miss this show! Jamie says when she lost her job and her house went into foreclosure, she gained 30 pounds, had constant stomach aches and couldn't stop crying. Her problems seemed so insurmountable that she even started smoking for the first time in her life! Jamie's 17–year-old daughter, Breanna, blames herself for her mom's financial woes and says she doesn't even feel comfortable in her own home. Can this mother-daughter bond be restored? Dr. Frank Lawlis, author of the new book, The Stress Answer, shares tools that can help Jamie get back on track. Then, Susan says she’s quick to lose her temper and sometimes takes her anger out on her three children. She says she got so fed up with her family that she packed her bags and stayed at a hotel for several days! Dr. Lawlis pays this overworked mom a house call. Find out the stress-relieving techniques he taught Susan that you can do at home. And, Iron Chef Cat Cora whips up delicious recipes that can help you de-stress. Plus, tune in for an unbelievable performance to lift your spirits!  Share your views with others.  

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 22, 2008, 5:10 am CDT

You're not crazy.....................

Quote From: jessicaxm23

I am only fourteen years old and I am female, and I think I have stress problems. Sometimes I think they could possibly be rage or anger issues, I'm not exactly sure what to call them. I don't cry unless I'm in pain but it seems like not crying or letting my emotions out is causing me to let them out at all the wrong times. I cannot do homework at school because I get so frustrated that I throw things, my muscles get tense, it gets hard to breathe, I get hot, and I can no longer think clearly. Anything can trigger my issues, but it usually happens when I am doing school work or when something annoys me. I hate having this problem because I feel like a crazy person when I throw these "tantrums". I have told my mom but she just tells me I should relax, BUT I CAN'T. Please help.

Dear Jessica,

Just the fact that you have written about this on this message board and have recognized that you have a problem means you are a huge step ahead of many other, and older, people out there. No, you are not crazy, that I can assure you. But there can be many other reasons as to why you are having these problems. First of all 14 is a difficult age, you are going through puberty, your hormones have run amok, your in between being a child and an adult, you have peer pressure, and you are also finally starting to think for yourself rather than go by everything your parents tell you.

You didn't mention if you have any other issues going on in your life. Have you started High School? Are your parents divorcing? Have you tried drugs? And what about sex? Are you being pressured there also? There are so many variables out there. Then it could also just be that you have a very common mental disorder. Don't worry, this isn't anything bad. In fact it's very common. Many people have a chemical imbalance in the brain which can cause depression or many other symptoms such as yours. If you were already grown you would probably be put on medication such as anti-depressants. But as far as I know, they shouldn't be taken lightly with teenagers.

I understand that it can be upsetting to you when your mother tells you to just relax. It's not that easy. I have depression myself and it started when I was a teenager also. I never did act out though, I just kept it inside. So I have no idea what my own mother would have said, probably something similar. I'll tell you what. If you would ever like to talk, I'll leave my hotmail address below. I'd be more than happy to discuss this with you. Give you support, let you vent, whatever. You may also want to talk with your school counselor. They should be knowledgeable in this area and might be able to help you with it.

I'm very impressed with the fact that you are mature enough to post your message in such a honest and eloquent manner. If I don't hear from you, I wish you the very best and hope that you find someone who can help you through this stressful time in your life. I still remember being 14 and it's not easy for anyone. My poor mother had 4 girls and only 1 boy. We put her through her paces, believe me. Take care!

Jewels

topfuelfan@hotmail.com

P.S. Don't worry, I'm not creepy, I'm a grown woman who would just like to help.

November 6, 2008, 4:04 pm CST

10/02 Stressed Out to the Max

Quote From: jewelsf

To be honest, although I do believe in God, I don't know if I actually believe that he does not put more on us then we can handle. Stress is a killer. First there is suicide, then stress causes cancer and heart disease. The body cannot always "handle" all of this stress. I know mine isn't taking it too well.

I can undrstand what you are saying. My health is not that great right now either. I am working on it. And don't give up whatever you do. You have to keep your chin up no matter what.

Its tough when a person doesn't feel good. But we have to . Happiness is there--I know it is !

Let me know how you are doing.

November 8, 2008, 5:45 am CST

Thank you Peaches................

Quote From: peaches1063

I can undrstand what you are saying. My health is not that great right now either. I am working on it. And don't give up whatever you do. You have to keep your chin up no matter what.

Its tough when a person doesn't feel good. But we have to . Happiness is there--I know it is !

Let me know how you are doing.

Yes, there are millions of people who are suffering from Severe Chronic Pain alone in this country, not to mention all of the other diseases there are. I do have my bad days, when I am in so much pain that I feel that I just can't take it anymore. This has been going on now for 9 years at least and the pain is getting progressively worse every year. Actually, lately it seems as if it's getting worse by the month now. That is really starting to frighten me.

But you know what? It seems that almost every time that I think that I can't take it anymore, I'll see someone else who has something worse than I do on TV, or I'll hear some tragedy on the news that makes me realize that maybe I don't have it so bad after all. My heart goes out to others who are in pain also, whether it be physical or heartbreaking, like a family who was killed in an auto accident. My husband and I know how that feels because we have gone through that also. He lost his son in a car accident 18 years ago. He was my very beautiful stepson.

I would enjoy talking with you and if you want, you can find my email address in my profile. I think that's where it goes. I'll put it in tomorrow. I guess I should say sometime today since it is already Saturday, LOL! BTW, I do find my happiness, mostly in the little things and my husband is the biggest joy of my life. How's that for being married for 21 years? He takes very good care of me. I'd better go since he will be getting up in just a matter of minutes and I need to get into the shower. Thank you for your kind words.

Sincerely,

Jewels

November 30, 2008, 7:44 pm CST

Get Real!!!!

Come on, as Dr Phil will say "Get real"!!!!

This woman, Jamie, sat there going on about how hard things are after she admitted that she made $150,000.00 per year or as she said 6 figure salary....

She had her house forclosed, needs food stamps etc....

Well let me tell you my story, I'm an ex serviceman which served three years on active service, risking my life for others.... I own my home (purchased something I could afford) drive a used 2nd hand car, I own everything I call mine, I owe nobody anything.

Now I have lost the use of my right arm (I'm right handed) due to an accident. Now I have to work 50 hrs a week, thats 10 hrs a day 5 days a week.

And for my labor I get $28,000 per year.

I bet Jamie wasn't too worried about the poor or the homeless when she was making her fortune...

The moral is you save for the future, live within your means. Jameie had the world at her feet and she wasted it... she has nobody to blame except herself!!!!!

So Let get real!!!!!!! Perhaps Dr.Phil could have had some returned military personel who have REAL Stress issues that struggle to return to nomal life, and are struggling to survive on a pension?

November 30, 2008, 8:26 pm CST

mortgage brokers made stacks of money

This is the second time in a few months that Dr. Phil has had people on the show who were mortgage brokers making in excess of $150000 per year off  sub-prime mortgages and then when the sub-prime market fell apart, they lost their income. They come to Dr. Phil complaining how stressed out they are trying to pay for their multi million dollar homes to keep them from foreclosure. I really don't feel as sorry for the mortgage brokers who were making a huge stack of money and could have had plenty of extra money to put away in savings for rainy days. I want to see Dr. Phil have on the show the sub-prime mortgage holders who could barely afford to buy a basic home and lost their homes to help them with the every day stresses of their lives and not knowing where their next meal is coming from or where they will be able to live. I'm fairly certain they were never able to buy their children fancy clothes or expensive cars for themselves and did not have spare money to put away for a rainy day. What about those people Dr. Phil?

November 30, 2008, 8:36 pm CST

bush guide you are so right!

Quote From: bushguide

Come on, as Dr Phil will say "Get real"!!!!

This woman, Jamie, sat there going on about how hard things are after she admitted that she made $150,000.00 per year or as she said 6 figure salary....

She had her house forclosed, needs food stamps etc....

Well let me tell you my story, I'm an ex serviceman which served three years on active service, risking my life for others.... I own my home (purchased something I could afford) drive a used 2nd hand car, I own everything I call mine, I owe nobody anything.

Now I have lost the use of my right arm (I'm right handed) due to an accident. Now I have to work 50 hrs a week, thats 10 hrs a day 5 days a week.

And for my labor I get $28,000 per year.

I bet Jamie wasn't too worried about the poor or the homeless when she was making her fortune...

The moral is you save for the future, live within your means. Jameie had the world at her feet and she wasted it... she has nobody to blame except herself!!!!!

So Let get real!!!!!!! Perhaps Dr.Phil could have had some returned military personel who have REAL Stress issues that struggle to return to nomal life, and are struggling to survive on a pension?

I agree with you totally! I think Jamie and others like her who made so much money on the sub prime mortgages wasted so much money with their 'spend all now' mentality and then they have the audacity to complain when they lose it all and have put nothing away anywhere. They are so nothing like the real victims of this current economic crisis and I would like Dr. Phil to have those real people on the show, people like yourself bush guide. I wish you all the best for the future bush guide. At least no one can take your home away!

First | Prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next Page | Last Page