Message Boards

Topic : 01/02 Money Rescue: Extreme $pending

Number of Replies: 212
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 03, 2008, 02:13:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/06/08) Has reckless spending left you in the red? With consumer debt in America now exceeding $880 billion, how much are you contributing to that statistic? Tantani describes herself as a big-time shopper who has accrued nearly $25,000 in credit card debt. When Dr. Phil reveals how much a $100 pair of shoes actually costs after credit card interest is tacked on, will she -- and you -- think twice about making another purchase with plastic? Then, Heidi admits to getting a high from shopping and has even skipped paying utility bills to buy name-brand items. Heidi’s husband, Steve, loves to spend money on gadgets and tools. He recently lost his job, and you won't believe how he spent his severance pay! Dr. Phil gives the couple a money-spending quiz. Take it yourself to find out if you could be headed for economic disaster. Financial expert Loral Langemeier pays a visit to Heidi and Steve to get to the bottom of their financial mess. What makes Heidi reach a breaking point and end up in tears? Will the couple follow Loral's financial plan? Then, follow up with Brandy and Greg, a couple who was nearly one million dollars in debt before coming to see Dr. Phil. Have they made changes? Plus, learn how to determine your financial IQ. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 6, 2008, 8:24 am CDT

Health Insurance First

How many would like their tax dollars to go to people like this for free health care?  He lost his job, they have filed bankruptcy 4 times, no money for their child's college and they will want free health care and free college for their child.  They are thieves getting other people to furnish their lifestyle.  There are millions more that put fashion, vacations, cars etc.  in front of their responsibilities as citizens.  Are we supposed to support politicians that will give free health care and college for millions of people like this.  I grew up with a mother like this and that is why I live within my means, have an actual savings account and health insurance.  We have saved our money and now have it to pay for our granddaughter's Autism needs which is very expensive.  That is where tax dollars should go to families with catastrophic needs, special needs in schools, etc.  It goes to these "bums" and illegals aliens.  This people are disgusting, selfish, greedy people.  This is 2008, they know when they need counseling they just don't think its worth the money when they can buy some other junk.  Other people who work, save, and live realistically pay for their narcicistic behavoir.  They have healthy children and they are finding problems to ruin their lives.  The children always suffer.  There are Americans with real needs and they take it out of their pockets.  I have no sympathy for these people because they have put their children through this unnecessary emotional pain.

October 6, 2008, 8:45 am CDT

These are not normal everyday people

Quote From: cecep31

This show was an eye opener. For me, most of the shows I see are not about the people, but the situation they have found themselves in. The show is a way to see normal, everyday people (like me) dealing with problems that I may face one day. It hurts to see people in such pain, but I'm thankful to them for airing their 'dirty laundry', to help others. I think a lot of people are concerned about  their financial futures, I also think a lot of people are beginning to feel the effects of years of carefree spending and just don't know what to do. I will learn from others mistakes!
When this show came on this morning, I was in and out of the room in preparation to go to the store. When I began to see all the stuff this family had and heard them talking about having no savings it really stuck in my head! It made me realize, we're doing okay, but we could do so much better. To the point...I decided not to go to the store. What I thought I needed, I really did not. I hope to see more shows like this. I believe they will help me obtain the financial freedom I desire for myself...for my family.

This is not about "normal, everyday people" and they didn't "find themselves in this situation".  They created this situation themselves (it is called accountabilty for one's own actions? ), and what the shame of it all is is that they will probably expect others to bail them out of it and then go on their merry irresponsbile way.

On the positive side it sounds like you are trying to learn something from these foolish peoples' errors, and that is a good thing.  Best to learn before getting into financial trouble. Save what you can and don't spend frivolously or run up credit cards, and you will be okay.

October 6, 2008, 8:55 am CDT

thanks trigreen...you rock too!!!

Quote From: trigreen

Hi Julie,
Glad to hear your voice of reason again.  Oh, I have so much to say and am sure I will have even more to say after the show. 

And to your list I might add DON'T ASK TAXPAYERS LIKE ME TO BAIL YOU OUT (that includes corporations). 

I don't know if I told you before Julie, but I am only 28 and the most I have ever made in a year up until possibly this year was 31,000. Because I'm working in large part hourly and on comissions I won't know until its over for this year but I doubt I will have made more than 35,000.  Yet somehow I manage to pay my rent on time EVERY month, pay for transporation to and from work, pay my student loans on time EVERY month, pay my bills on time EVERY month, and do so without asking my parents for money or accepting charity.  In fact even though my parents do well I would not even think of asking them for money. 

How do I do it?  Well, I don't use or even have a credit card, I don't make impulse purchases, I don't have the now seemingly mandatory cable tv, I don't take vacations, I didn't buy a house I could not afford and I use public transportation part of the time.   Now for people who can afford and save for thing like vacations, impulse purchases etc, that is fine, but to put these things on credit is just stupid.  

I'm so sick of people trying to pin all their financial problems on gas prices which they then in turn blame on the government.   They then use this to convince the government to steal money from the tax payers to give to them to reward their stupidity.    Well and you can all thank my generation (well at least the stupid part of it) for the dumbest boycott ever, the go to the pump a different day boycott, because we are to lazy to actually do something like take public transportation which will actually make a real difference.   Which speaking of as far as I am concerned in areas where public transportation is available gas should be taxed higher and the price should in turn be higher and the tax should go to decreasing the cost of public transportation, both to make it a more attractive option and to help out the true poor-the working minimum wage poor who have to use it, to whom that 2.70 it costs round trip is a lot of money too.   

Ok, I think I have even more to say, but I will leave it at this for now.  

Thank you trigreen.  I continue to enjoy your chock full of common sense posts!!!You are very wise at age 28 and it will pay off for you.  When I was your age (married with young kids at the time) we did not spend frivolously and saved all that we could. While I did use credit cards I did it sensibly and never spent money that I would not be able to pay off when the bill came in.  My son, who is the same age as you , seems to have inherited our financial habits, which I am very happy about.

I cannot believe the foolish way so many people live their lives these days.  Instant gratification, spending way beyond one's means, purchasing frivolous items in order to show off (and these will be relegated to the back of their closets in a matter of months when a new and of course,expensive, style comes out!!)..these are the characteristics of the overspending and whining spoilt brats who are looking for a free bail out from their self-made messes. Trigreen it is refreshing to see people like you on here!!! And don't worry...I think you will do well because you are bright and have good values!!  Best of luck!!

October 6, 2008, 9:47 am CDT

What happened to personal responsibility?

This is my first time writing in....have been tempted before, but I guess this topic got to me.

I guess I am dismayed because these irresponsible people get so much attention and those of us who are frugal, pay our bills on time and in full, save for retirement and college (plus have savings in case of an emergency) not only do not get recognized, but we are the ones who end up paying the bill for these self centered deadbeats. Yes, they are hurting their children, and not teaching them fiscal responisibility, and this is sad. But, who do you think "the government" is, when you declare bankruptcy? It is those of us who are hardworking taxpayers. Plus, when you declare bankruptcy, it drives up the prices for the rest of us.

October 6, 2008, 10:20 am CDT

10/06 Money Rescue: Extreme Spending

Quote From: mjamss

This is my first time writing in....have been tempted before, but I guess this topic got to me.

I guess I am dismayed because these irresponsible people get so much attention and those of us who are frugal, pay our bills on time and in full, save for retirement and college (plus have savings in case of an emergency) not only do not get recognized, but we are the ones who end up paying the bill for these self centered deadbeats. Yes, they are hurting their children, and not teaching them fiscal responisibility, and this is sad. But, who do you think "the government" is, when you declare bankruptcy? It is those of us who are hardworking taxpayers. Plus, when you declare bankruptcy, it drives up the prices for the rest of us.

Megadittos! Live within your means, folks!

Nothing wrong with using credit cards, BTW, if you pay the balance every month.

October 6, 2008, 10:55 am CDT

Quote From: marnie100

How many would like their tax dollars to go to people like this for free health care?  He lost his job, they have filed bankruptcy 4 times, no money for their child's college and they will want free health care and free college for their child.  They are thieves getting other people to furnish their lifestyle.  There are millions more that put fashion, vacations, cars etc.  in front of their responsibilities as citizens.  Are we supposed to support politicians that will give free health care and college for millions of people like this.  I grew up with a mother like this and that is why I live within my means, have an actual savings account and health insurance.  We have saved our money and now have it to pay for our granddaughter's Autism needs which is very expensive.  That is where tax dollars should go to families with catastrophic needs, special needs in schools, etc.  It goes to these "bums" and illegals aliens.  This people are disgusting, selfish, greedy people.  This is 2008, they know when they need counseling they just don't think its worth the money when they can buy some other junk.  Other people who work, save, and live realistically pay for their narcicistic behavoir.  They have healthy children and they are finding problems to ruin their lives.  The children always suffer.  There are Americans with real needs and they take it out of their pockets.  I have no sympathy for these people because they have put their children through this unnecessary emotional pain.
If this joker can't afford college for his kid, his kid should get a j-o-b! College is often wasted on kids. They use it to put off having to get a job for another four, or more, years, often majoring in subjects that are useless in the workplace. It's best to put off college until they're mature enough to spend their time attending classes and studying, instead of partying. There are plenty of colleges for working adults.

October 6, 2008, 11:41 am CDT

some times bad luck gets u

i have been working since i was old enought to pick up  anything. i was raised on a farm. so we all had something to do. i have been poor all my life. and i will die that way to. my first paying job i mowed a cemetery, i help my mom with bill, gas ,water so on. i put some in the bank . at sixteen i was working two part time jobs, cleaning dishes, mowing, winter i cut wood. OH i'm a girl. i worked hard right know im in my mid 40's , im disable on SSi, hell i got mor bills than i have money, i have to beg for help to get my water paid, elec, gas. so on i have two kids, one in collage, one in middle school. we been so hard up we eat peanut butter. lived in our car, i worry today  i will lose my home. like i said i cant make it on the income i get. there not enought money to do so. i get so sick of hearing people tell me . i cant help you. than theres no where i can go to for help. my every day is worring about  bills, than cool weather comeing. i worry a bout my gas bill. i have cut back on the heat, elec. i have  ice on my windows during the winter months. i have a wheelchair that i cant use, in my home. doors not wide enought. yea some time we cant helpp it. but to be in debt. and the kicker is no one cares . there people out there says you did it you live in it. i tryied to give my kids a home, i worked hard at getting. im so afaird of loseing what we do have. i cant go to my doctors becaue stat inc, wont pay the doctors bill. so know i have that to my bills owed. its so dame hard when you do try to make it in a cold ass world that we live in today. i feel that i am alone. there no one who cares for some one like me. and yea there days i wished i could never wake up. i know tomorror is going to be the same as it was yesterday. who cares about me my family, who cares that i worry over a $60.00 gas bill, who cares about me, for all i have is mine for know. who care i might not have a roof over my head tomorror. no one see my tears, for im afraid to leave my home. , fear walks with me every day. worry wakes me up every night but who cares , i put myself here is what some thinks, so think there help out there, i beg for it im still carry all this on my shouders, i hide my tears from my girl, but she see it, , i feel like no one cares for me, i feel so alone, im lost in it all. i know im not alone. im just lost to it all , no where to go, no where  to run . so what do we do we live in a cold un caring world.

for i am just one of many. i'm just one. i dont need fancy, i just would like to have a little less worry, a little bit of happiness. i will never see it. alone in my throughts, a helpless feeling that you cant fix for i am a no body .

October 6, 2008, 12:29 pm CDT

Why on earth is Dr. Phil, once again, trying to help spoiled people who make decent money who can't stop spending their money???  They bring their problems on themselves. 

Why not try helping people who are struggling every day just trying to put food on the table or who are now living in their cars because they lost their home THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN!!!!!

October 6, 2008, 12:48 pm CDT

We should feel sorry for those people. They are sick. They have an addiction and deep problems that comes out as spending beyond their means. We should help them in a way that their real problems are addressed and that they won't be able to fall in the same cycle again. Spending is like heroin or cocain to them. The credit companies makes it too easy to overspend.

October 6, 2008, 1:11 pm CDT

getting into debt

IT'S SO EASY TO GET INTO DEBT.I HAVE BUT NOT AS FAR IN AS THESE PEOPLE ARE.I HAVE TWO CREDIT CARDS AND BOTH I OWE ON.AND THEY ARE NORMAL PEOPLE.LOTS OF PEOPLE ARE IN DEBT.IM NOT AS BAD AS MOST BUT IM IN DEBT.AND ITS EASY TO DO.I THINK IM ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THAT SPEND ON THINGS THAT I DONT REALLY NEED.BUT I HAVE ALSO SPENT ON THINGS I DO NEED AND CAN'T AFFORD SO I PUT IT ON CREDIT CARD/.ITSM JUST EASIER.I KNOW ;LOTS OF PEOPLE THAT HAS WENT BANKRUPTI HAVE BEEN TOLD TO MAX MY CREIT CARDS AND GO BANKRUPT.AND I TOLD THEM NO.THEY TOLD ME I WAS NUTS THEY DO IT ALL THE TIME.I TOLD THEM GO JUMP IM NOT DOING THAT.AND WHY SHOULD OTHER PEOPLE PAY MU BILLS. 

CUDDLES05

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last