Message Boards

Topic : 01/02 Money Rescue: Extreme $pending

Number of Replies: 212
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 03, 2008, 02:13:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/06/08) Has reckless spending left you in the red? With consumer debt in America now exceeding $880 billion, how much are you contributing to that statistic? Tantani describes herself as a big-time shopper who has accrued nearly $25,000 in credit card debt. When Dr. Phil reveals how much a $100 pair of shoes actually costs after credit card interest is tacked on, will she -- and you -- think twice about making another purchase with plastic? Then, Heidi admits to getting a high from shopping and has even skipped paying utility bills to buy name-brand items. Heidi’s husband, Steve, loves to spend money on gadgets and tools. He recently lost his job, and you won't believe how he spent his severance pay! Dr. Phil gives the couple a money-spending quiz. Take it yourself to find out if you could be headed for economic disaster. Financial expert Loral Langemeier pays a visit to Heidi and Steve to get to the bottom of their financial mess. What makes Heidi reach a breaking point and end up in tears? Will the couple follow Loral's financial plan? Then, follow up with Brandy and Greg, a couple who was nearly one million dollars in debt before coming to see Dr. Phil. Have they made changes? Plus, learn how to determine your financial IQ. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 6, 2008, 1:15 pm CDT

JUST BEACUSE

Quote From: KathySue

Why on earth is Dr. Phil, once again, trying to help spoiled people who make decent money who can't stop spending their money???  They bring their problems on themselves. 

Why not try helping people who are struggling every day just trying to put food on the table or who are now living in their cars because they lost their home THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN!!!!!

WHY SHOULD HE NOT HELP THEM.THATS WHAT DR.PHIL IS ALL ABOUT.HE HELPS PEOPLE WHO IS IN TROUBLE.AND WHY SHOULD'NT HE.ITS EASY TO GET INTO DEBT.AND IF PEOPLE ARE ,LIVING IN THEIR CARS IS IS THE FAULT.IM LOW INCOME AND IM MANEING.SO WHJY CANT THEY.MAYBE THEY SPENT TOO MUCH AND THATS WHY THEY ARE IN THEIR CAR INSTEAD OF A HOUSE.I FIND THAT PEOPLE ARE VERY JELOUS.OF DR.PHIL HELPING OTHER PEOPLE INSTEAD OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU.ARE YOU JELOUS TOO.BECAUSE IT WAS'NT YOU HE HELPED.POOR GIRL I FEEL SORRY FOR YOU

October 6, 2008, 1:16 pm CDT

this is why the economy is so bad

it makes me so angry when i see people that over spend.  who do they think is going to end up paying their bills? do they think it's okay that the people who follow the rules and do the right thing should be responsible for their mistakes? this is why the economy is in such horrible shape.  it looks like they just do without thinking of the consequences. i think that is the way a lot of people think and they are teaching their kids to be the same way.  do they really think they are doing their kid a favor giving him everything he could ever want? what does this child have to look forward to?  i don't think i'd want this child dating my daughter with that kind of belief system. when he gets into the real world, he's in for a huge shock, it doesn't work that way. i was taught to work for things i wanted.  if i didn't have the money i didn't get it until i saved the money. i don't think that people should have so many opportunities so get credit IF they can't pay it back. i don't think it's fair that other people have to pay for these people's frivolous spending.

October 6, 2008, 1:19 pm CDT

HOW ABOUT

Quote From: hopeing2win2

i have been working since i was old enought to pick up  anything. i was raised on a farm. so we all had something to do. i have been poor all my life. and i will die that way to. my first paying job i mowed a cemetery, i help my mom with bill, gas ,water so on. i put some in the bank . at sixteen i was working two part time jobs, cleaning dishes, mowing, winter i cut wood. OH i'm a girl. i worked hard right know im in my mid 40's , im disable on SSi, hell i got mor bills than i have money, i have to beg for help to get my water paid, elec, gas. so on i have two kids, one in collage, one in middle school. we been so hard up we eat peanut butter. lived in our car, i worry today  i will lose my home. like i said i cant make it on the income i get. there not enought money to do so. i get so sick of hearing people tell me . i cant help you. than theres no where i can go to for help. my every day is worring about  bills, than cool weather comeing. i worry a bout my gas bill. i have cut back on the heat, elec. i have  ice on my windows during the winter months. i have a wheelchair that i cant use, in my home. doors not wide enought. yea some time we cant helpp it. but to be in debt. and the kicker is no one cares . there people out there says you did it you live in it. i tryied to give my kids a home, i worked hard at getting. im so afaird of loseing what we do have. i cant go to my doctors becaue stat inc, wont pay the doctors bill. so know i have that to my bills owed. its so dame hard when you do try to make it in a cold ass world that we live in today. i feel that i am alone. there no one who cares for some one like me. and yea there days i wished i could never wake up. i know tomorror is going to be the same as it was yesterday. who cares about me my family, who cares that i worry over a $60.00 gas bill, who cares about me, for all i have is mine for know. who care i might not have a roof over my head tomorror. no one see my tears, for im afraid to leave my home. , fear walks with me every day. worry wakes me up every night but who cares , i put myself here is what some thinks, so think there help out there, i beg for it im still carry all this on my shouders, i hide my tears from my girl, but she see it, , i feel like no one cares for me, i feel so alone, im lost in it all. i know im not alone. im just lost to it all , no where to go, no where  to run . so what do we do we live in a cold un caring world.

for i am just one of many. i'm just one. i dont need fancy, i just would like to have a little less worry, a little bit of happiness. i will never see it. alone in my throughts, a helpless feeling that you cant fix for i am a no body .

HOW ABOUT STOP FEELING SORRY FOR YOURSELF AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.IT STEAD OF SITTING THERE DOING NOTHING.BY THE WAY DO YOU HAVE WINE AND CHEESE TOO.YOUR LIKE A TRAIN WRECK WAITING TO HAPPEN AND DOING NOTHING ABOUT IT.SO GET UP AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

October 6, 2008, 1:26 pm CDT

Money Problems

I can understand why some people are not sympathetic, nor empathetic toward the guests who were featured today; however, money problems can hit anyone at anytime - with or without a rhyme and reason.

I've always had a little debt but have been diligent about paying it off; I've made payments on time, and even sent a little more to pay it off quicker.  In the last two-and-half years, my family and I experienced divorce.  This was my choice; and with it I knew there would be consequences.  Although I avoided the court battle in order to buy-out my ex (with the house, so I could maintain a stable household for my children), it has become very rough.  Where I live you need at least two incomes to "make it"; and child support only helps slightly, especially due to the fact that the formula and ratios are based upon "showing" income; in which, I make dramatically more.  The price of oil, gas, and groceries haven't helped at all.

I'm definitely going to explore the suggestions from this show and the related articles; I'm really looking to pay off my debt, save for my kids' college, and have money for retirement.  I'm living paycheck to paycheck and I'm a professional - there is something definitely wrong - HELP!!!

October 6, 2008, 1:27 pm CDT

money

they never make it on my income. so much waste. if i ever had the money i sure wouldnt waste it

October 6, 2008, 1:29 pm CDT

same old story

Why are all the guests Dr. Phil has on his show the upper middle class living beyond their means? It's exactly what has happened to Wall St. and again they're getting bail out help. I'm tired of seeing these self-indulgent, superficial spolied brats whining about going broke. I'm sorry but if you are rich, and blow it all. Then you deserve to be poor and homeless. Why not really get real Dr. Phil and give some help to those of us that need it? Even the politicians don't acknowledge us (the people) who make less than $40,000/yr. I'm a sever/bartender, my bf does concrete. Together we make aprrox. $30,000/yr, what would be your financial advice to help people like us get through this financial crisis? I'm sure your advice would be go back to school (racking up more debt), or work two jobs (and never being home to raise your child right). We are doing everything we can to pay off our debt, without filing bankruptcy, and knowing it's not ever going to get any easier for us. Maybe one day society will wake up and remember we as a nation are only as rich and strong as our poorest and weakest citizens.

October 6, 2008, 1:34 pm CDT

Money Rescue

My husband and I were watching this episode today and we too struggle to make ends met.  We have no car payments and no credit cards or credit card payments.  When Dr. Phil suggested selling the home to the one couple....we said  that would be great....if you could get someone to buy your house.  We realized that the home we live in is costing us too much.  We are willing to downsize our mortgage and give up our beautiful home so we can breath financially.  Well, it has been 7 months and still the house is for sale.  The market right now is ridiculous.  I would like some advice on what to do when you are trying to make things right but there are certain things that are out of your control.

October 6, 2008, 1:34 pm CDT

Extremely Stressed MOM

I can't even image having that kind of debt just from shopping. We live month to month on a teachers salary. my husband works and I'm home and at college part time. we have two children and they go to private schools. This cost  lots of money, I have 30,000 dollars in student loans, we have about 5,000 in misc. bills and my husband thinks we can buy a house. we have no money in savings and can barley feed ourselves and my husband wants us to tithe $420 dollars of our $3,300 a month pay check. I look at him with daggers in my eyes. we are barely making it and now with the economy falling apart, I don't know if we will ever catch up. Dr.Phil how do we develope and asset and not a deficit? when our income is already at negative. we get so much help from my mother, that we put her in debt.

sincerely,

stressed

October 6, 2008, 1:59 pm CDT

omg

I just wanted to say to the lovely couple on stage today, that living in a motorhome is not that bad!!  My family and I did it for 10 weeks in a 1983 23 foot coachman.  We are a family of 5, (my husband, 17 year old son, 14 year old son, 5 year old daughter and myself)  We had to live in it because we sold our house and were waiting for an answer on the one we had picked out where we were going to move.  Never did get an answer, but got a better deal on a different one.  This couple's camper that they have would be heaven compared to what we had.  I'm just really thankful that we are a close enough family that we were able to do it.  Believe me the house we got was definetly worth the wait.  But I highly doubt we will going camping any time soon.  Good luck!

October 6, 2008, 2:16 pm CDT

I am sorry about that couple want to spend

You know Dr.Phil it takes a wake call for these people to learn a hard lesson about they money. Here I am just recent lost my husband 6 months ago and I have been back in the work force just for two months and I can not even making the electric bill or any thing else. I am living to paycheck to paycheck .............. I have been with a company for 8 years and they had to let me ago because I was miss to many days of work because of my husband. i had to use all of my 401k and the stock that i had saving sense i been with that company and now I have nothing to fall back on now. I think the couple that you had on today to wake up and because they do not want is hard times.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last