Message Boards

Topic : 01/02 Money Rescue: Extreme $pending

Number of Replies: 212
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 03, 2008, 02:13:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/06/08) Has reckless spending left you in the red? With consumer debt in America now exceeding $880 billion, how much are you contributing to that statistic? Tantani describes herself as a big-time shopper who has accrued nearly $25,000 in credit card debt. When Dr. Phil reveals how much a $100 pair of shoes actually costs after credit card interest is tacked on, will she -- and you -- think twice about making another purchase with plastic? Then, Heidi admits to getting a high from shopping and has even skipped paying utility bills to buy name-brand items. Heidi’s husband, Steve, loves to spend money on gadgets and tools. He recently lost his job, and you won't believe how he spent his severance pay! Dr. Phil gives the couple a money-spending quiz. Take it yourself to find out if you could be headed for economic disaster. Financial expert Loral Langemeier pays a visit to Heidi and Steve to get to the bottom of their financial mess. What makes Heidi reach a breaking point and end up in tears? Will the couple follow Loral's financial plan? Then, follow up with Brandy and Greg, a couple who was nearly one million dollars in debt before coming to see Dr. Phil. Have they made changes? Plus, learn how to determine your financial IQ. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 3, 2008, 3:46 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Extreme Money Phil/Rescue/Robin. Olt ho here we go again talking too much about money. Doct---

or Phil/Robin quit talking about money and get on with your own life. You and Robin know that money don-

ot grow on plants or trees at all. See you on Monday October 06th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaander-

en.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 4, 2008, 6:44 am CDT

are we supposed to feel sorry for these people?

Looks like another show with more immature whiners who spent themselves into the ground and then want to cry their way into a simple and painless solution.  Well here's one from someone who is tired hearing these complaints from irresponsible whiners. GET A JOB!!! WORK!!  DON'T BUY THINGS THAT YOU CAN"T AFFORD!! CUT UP THE CREDIT CARDS (which irresponsbile fools shouldn't have in the first place) And DO WITHOUT!!!! The princess who "needs" the 100 dollar shoes needs to learn that she is NOT entitled to things she can't afford to pay for. Get rid of the brat mentality and if you want something, work for it and don't buy it until you have earned the money to pay for it. Simple, old-fashioned solutions that the ME ME ME instant gratification generation doesn't seem to get.

October 5, 2008, 1:03 pm CDT

Well I don't (aka Julie you Rock!)

Quote From: juliebgg

Looks like another show with more immature whiners who spent themselves into the ground and then want to cry their way into a simple and painless solution.  Well here's one from someone who is tired hearing these complaints from irresponsible whiners. GET A JOB!!! WORK!!  DON'T BUY THINGS THAT YOU CAN"T AFFORD!! CUT UP THE CREDIT CARDS (which irresponsbile fools shouldn't have in the first place) And DO WITHOUT!!!! The princess who "needs" the 100 dollar shoes needs to learn that she is NOT entitled to things she can't afford to pay for. Get rid of the brat mentality and if you want something, work for it and don't buy it until you have earned the money to pay for it. Simple, old-fashioned solutions that the ME ME ME instant gratification generation doesn't seem to get.
Hi Julie,
Glad to hear your voice of reason again.  Oh, I have so much to say and am sure I will have even more to say after the show. 

And to your list I might add DON'T ASK TAXPAYERS LIKE ME TO BAIL YOU OUT (that includes corporations). 

I don't know if I told you before Julie, but I am only 28 and the most I have ever made in a year up until possibly this year was 31,000. Because I'm working in large part hourly and on comissions I won't know until its over for this year but I doubt I will have made more than 35,000.  Yet somehow I manage to pay my rent on time EVERY month, pay for transporation to and from work, pay my student loans on time EVERY month, pay my bills on time EVERY month, and do so without asking my parents for money or accepting charity.  In fact even though my parents do well I would not even think of asking them for money. 

How do I do it?  Well, I don't use or even have a credit card, I don't make impulse purchases, I don't have the now seemingly mandatory cable tv, I don't take vacations, I didn't buy a house I could not afford and I use public transportation part of the time.   Now for people who can afford and save for thing like vacations, impulse purchases etc, that is fine, but to put these things on credit is just stupid.  

I'm so sick of people trying to pin all their financial problems on gas prices which they then in turn blame on the government.   They then use this to convince the government to steal money from the tax payers to give to them to reward their stupidity.    Well and you can all thank my generation (well at least the stupid part of it) for the dumbest boycott ever, the go to the pump a different day boycott, because we are to lazy to actually do something like take public transportation which will actually make a real difference.   Which speaking of as far as I am concerned in areas where public transportation is available gas should be taxed higher and the price should in turn be higher and the tax should go to decreasing the cost of public transportation, both to make it a more attractive option and to help out the true poor-the working minimum wage poor who have to use it, to whom that 2.70 it costs round trip is a lot of money too.   

Ok, I think I have even more to say, but I will leave it at this for now.  

October 5, 2008, 1:37 pm CDT

Huh? What?

Quote From: hpmx59

Doctor Extreme Money Phil/Rescue/Robin. Olt ho here we go again talking too much about money. Doct---

or Phil/Robin quit talking about money and get on with your own life. You and Robin know that money don-

ot grow on plants or trees at all. See you on Monday October 06th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaander-

en.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I think that money doesn't grow on trees is what Dr. Phil is trying to get his guests to understand. 

I am glad that Dr. Phil is talking about money again.  I hope that he nails the guests on their behavior and makes them look like the irresponsible fools that they are.  These people became my business when our lovely government decided that not only should my tax payer dollars (aka my money) go towards welfare for the inner city and rural poor, but now my tax payer dollars should go for welfare to soccer moms and dads who made more in a year than I made in 5 years who bought half million dollars homes with 2 SUVs parked out in front among other impulse purchases who after loosing their dream job or because they prefer not working refuse to get jobs to pay for their impulse purchases.   Then if that wasn't enough, our lovely government had to add insult to injury by deciding that people like me now need to pay for welfare for ultra-rich CEOs who incompetantly and criminally ran their companies into the ground(in fact I woud really like to see Dr. Phil gril some of these people(I'll be nice and use that term) as well.  

October 5, 2008, 8:29 pm CDT

Eye Opener

This show was an eye opener. For me, most of the shows I see are not about the people, but the situation they have found themselves in. The show is a way to see normal, everyday people (like me) dealing with problems that I may face one day. It hurts to see people in such pain, but I'm thankful to them for airing their 'dirty laundry', to help others. I think a lot of people are concerned about  their financial futures, I also think a lot of people are beginning to feel the effects of years of carefree spending and just don't know what to do. I will learn from others mistakes!
When this show came on this morning, I was in and out of the room in preparation to go to the store. When I began to see all the stuff this family had and heard them talking about having no savings it really stuck in my head! It made me realize, we're doing okay, but we could do so much better. To the point...I decided not to go to the store. What I thought I needed, I really did not. I hope to see more shows like this. I believe they will help me obtain the financial freedom I desire for myself...for my family.

October 6, 2008, 2:55 am CDT

I No longer own a credit card.

I know this road all too well. I was employed and thought i could handle a credit card. Boy, was i wrong but i learned alot of lessons. I learned that some card companies will lie about when they receive your payment, and then tack on the late fee. I also learned that hard lesson of planning what to spend as well as having a "nest egg". Which i think everyone should have and start for their children. And I also had the bad habit of walking into stores without knowing what i needed or wanted. Number one rule always know what you want to buy before you even step into the store. Thank God my aunt taught me this better late then never and i cut my spending almost completely in half. 

October 6, 2008, 6:36 am CDT

spoiled brats

Would counselling help these two to grow up? They would probably skip the sessions to go shopping.

October 6, 2008, 7:01 am CDT

again frustrated

Oh please not these people again.  Greg and Brandy need to give up their beautiful home to a family who deserves it ...a family that did not waste.  Give that house to a family who lost all of their savings in the stock market because of people like this.  I wish that Dr.  Phil was harder on them.  Does he not understand what these people have done to our economy?   I think that they should all have to give up their SUVs to families who lost money in the stock market. 

Greg and Brandy, tell your son that you wasted money.  That you made huge mistakes that you do not want him to repeat.  And move... start doing the right thing.  Do you think that if he knew that elderly people all over this country lost their savings/money to eat... because people like you bought what you could not afford, he would be proud of you?  I hope not.

Further more.  Did these people not have to pay a monthly PMI in order to protect the bank from their incompetence?  Why not?  We put money down on our home.  A tiny house that we pay 6.5 percent on for the last 8 years.  We still have to pay 60 a month for PMI why is that?  To protect these people?  Brandy send me some of your nice cloths.   You just stole my son's college fund.  That's the least you could do!

How do I tell my child that we did the right thing.  That's why we live in this little house.  If we did the wrong thing the government would have bailed us out.  You could have had a big house too.  But sorry son, we didn't know.

What I want to know is how I can refinace to a 1-2 percent interest rate and get back all or the 10s of thousands of dollars that we spent on interest.

This is all so wrong.

October 6, 2008, 7:33 am CDT

A Sale Sign Does Not Equal a Bargain

Heidi's boring "bargain" outfit, made me laugh. Obviously she goes to expensive stores and sees those perpetual "sale" signs and believes she's getting a bargain. I lost weight this year and needed all new clothes for fall. Last week, I went to the thrift store on half priced day and bought five, brand new (from an odd lot) sweaters at 2.50 each. Then I went to Wal-Mart and bought a new black skirt and pair of black pants. Total cost of new fall wardrobe: $50.

These self-indulgent giggling people were so irritating. They were perfect examples of why our country is in such a mess.

We own our own cars and home, no mortgage, and we have never had a penny of debt. It can be done people.

October 6, 2008, 7:57 am CDT

Save it!

I thought my job was safe since I was in IT, but when Wachovia went under, my contract ended early.  Now, I'm trying to find another contract and may have to leave town to find one.  To hear people admit they waste money the way your guests do just blows me away.  I wish I had the money they wasted! I hardly spend a dime since all I have is my unemployment.  I don't see how anyone could spend like that.  I'd be living in a shelter if I did.  Pray I find a job soon.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last