Message Boards

Topic : 10/10 Child Sex Slaves

Number of Replies: 58
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 03, 2008, 02:17:07 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Twenty-seven million people worldwide are the victims of modern-day slavery: They are forced into sex or back-breaking labor against their will. Most of the victims lured into this criminal world are innocent children -- maybe even your own. Last year, slave traders made more money than the profits of Google, Nike and Starbucks combined. A new documentary, Call + Response, features a few of  Hollywood's leading actresses who feel passionate about this injustice. United Nations Goodwill Ambassador and featured actress in the documentary, Julia Ormond, joins Dr. Phil to share her firsthand experience of witnessing human trafficking and what she -- and you -- can do to put an end to it. These atrocities are not only happening in other parts of the world. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, more than 17,000 people are trafficked into the United States every year. The filmmaker behind Call + Response, Justin Dillon, goes undercover in San Francisco and discusses what he witnessed. Could it be happening in your home town? You might be surprised by what’s uncovered?. Then, police in Texas recently found a 16-year-old girl who was allegedly smuggled into the state with the promise of love, only to be locked in a house and forced to sell herself at least five nights a week. Hear from an FBI agent who sheds light on the case.  And, Tyamba was a straight-A student who ran away from home at 13 and was lured into a teenage prostitution ring. Find out how she broke free and what her life is like today. Plus, hear from women who were forced to be sex slaves in a sex ring, and meet two women fighting to help get child prostitutes off the street. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 11, 2008, 5:01 pm CDT

Not a Joke

When will we learn that our experience as Americans, seldom is experienced in the same way life is lived world-wide?

I saw a sign in my small south west home town, posted in a business ran by a RETIRED TEACHER!  It stated, "unattended children will be sold into slavery". 

I don't know how to change people like her, but I hope programing like this show will get to them.  I am a Republican, but read that Hilary Clinton helped change some  laws in NYC to keep victims and offenders here in the US (when they came from out of country) long enough to prosecute the offenders. 

Thank God we have a bill to get behind, TVPRA. 

As enlightened Americans we need to realize that our dollars 'talk', and start caring where our cheap to purchase merchandise is coming from, and what the real cost to our Nation and the World is to have the choices we have as consumers.

October 11, 2008, 5:22 pm CDT

Look at your ad's Dr. Phil

DR PHIL AND STAFF...YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT THE FRUIT OF THE LOOM AD THAT POPS UP ON YOUR MESSAGE BOARD.

This girl is clearly a young girl.  And I feel she is in a compromising position.  COME ON, you surly have responsible people that can monitor this?  I would if I were you.

Don't take my word for it, ask Robin what she thinks.

This is what is wrong with America............... 

October 11, 2008, 7:12 pm CDT

Re:Reduce the Rhetoric

I'm not sure if anyone reads this far. Perhaps most of you just read your own posts. I read everyones. If you did read mine and want to respond to me personally I just set up an email account for this. It is at nobody_inparticular@shaw.ca. I like reasonable debate. But insult if you must vent.

P.S. The person concerned about pop-ups: I think your source of pop-ups are elsewhere. I don't get them. And it wouldn't likely be something Dr. Phil would advocate.

October 11, 2008, 10:37 pm CDT

Uh huh, I see too said the blind man

Quote From: mhopeful

I know of a man who has brought Thai women over to the USA and promised them all kinds of things including Green Cards, only to return them after Visa was up (2years). He used them for his purposes, and lonelyness. Well I meet one of his victims. When she told me he had lied to her about several things after marrying her, I couldnt allow him to get away with it. I gave him warning to take care of her, to not just use her for his slave or else I would turn him in. He then tried to keep me from talking with her, but that didnt work. She was trying to learn english, but since he couldnt understand her, he would tell her to just shut up. I meet with her several times, helped her speak and learn some of the American ways. She came to this country not knowing much, but was very eager to learn and loved the USA and freedom. I found her an attorney that would work on her behalf Pro Bono, but this women (young looking 40ty) was very afraid to do anything because she was so afraid and was hopeful she would get her Green Card, and this man would treat her better. After months of waiting for paper work I again threatened to turn him in if he did not get her the Green Card. He bought only used clothing for her, rarely let her buy her Thai food to cook at home, and didnt want her to talk to anyone unless he was present or knew them. When he realized I was not going away, he did get her work permit but she didnt know she needed a SSI# and tried to keep her from getting drivers license. After he put this off, I taught her to drive and went and got her SSI# and she passed her drivers license test, and took her to the Temple for the first time in USA (10months). She was so thankful and so happy until she got home to him. Now she has become stronger and is doing everything she can including playing along with his games to get her Green Card and interview which should have happened months ago. As of today she has not heard anything yet. This man paid her family money to marry her and made promises to them as well which have all been broken. This just doesnt happen to children but also older women. He has threatened to send her back several times and said if you turn me into immigrations I will tell them you were a prostitute and would be sent back. I told her the USA would protect her and an attorney would make sure she wouldnt have to return to Thailand unless she wanted to, and there have been many times she thought about returning, until I proved to her she could get SSI and License without him. She does not want to get this man in trouble, because she is thankful to be here in USA. She just wants to start work asap, to help herself and more importantly to send money back to her family. He has told her she can not work around any men, unless its taken care of old dying people, or cleaning their homes. This is slavery just in another way.

Here is one thing I think you fail to realize, your friend was using this man just as he used her.  I'd bet that she didn't marry him for love or companionship.  She knew she was being purchased when he paid her family to bring her here.  What you didn't include were the options she may have had.  Could she have said, no to this offer?  What would have been the repercussions of such a refusal?  Point blank, you can not even begin to compare what happened to your friend with what happens to these others that are completely clueless when they are kidnapped, raped, tortured nd sometimes even murdered.

Just playing Devil's Advocate.

You see, I work with Phillipino nurses that think it's funny that they've used American men to get a green card, get an education, leave these men, go back to the Phillipines to find real husbands, move them back to the USA, have children, and live the American dream.  I've heard them joking about it on many occassions.  Yes, these men are suckers, but two wrongs don't make a right and I don't see any honor between either side.

Just a thought.

October 12, 2008, 11:50 am CDT

clueless

Quote From: rsb2323

Here is one thing I think you fail to realize, your friend was using this man just as he used her.  I'd bet that she didn't marry him for love or companionship.  She knew she was being purchased when he paid her family to bring her here.  What you didn't include were the options she may have had.  Could she have said, no to this offer?  What would have been the repercussions of such a refusal?  Point blank, you can not even begin to compare what happened to your friend with what happens to these others that are completely clueless when they are kidnapped, raped, tortured nd sometimes even murdered.

Just playing Devil's Advocate.

You see, I work with Phillipino nurses that think it's funny that they've used American men to get a green card, get an education, leave these men, go back to the Phillipines to find real husbands, move them back to the USA, have children, and live the American dream.  I've heard them joking about it on many occassions.  Yes, these men are suckers, but two wrongs don't make a right and I don't see any honor between either side.

Just a thought.

Yes, she did hope to find an American man to marry for love and yes freedom in USA.  You are right, she was not kidnapped, nor a child. I just wanted to let others know, some do come here for love and hope of living the American dream. You are right about many coming here for the Green Card, and then leave the men, but she was in love with this man, until she found out many of his lies and the use of other women, which then made her very afraid and of course upset. Thanks for your input.

October 12, 2008, 2:14 pm CDT

I want to help in my town NOW

Dear Folks,

I went to all the sites, signed up for newsletters, read about opportunities.   Unfortunately I didn't see anything I could do IN MY COMMUNITY NOW to help.   I live near A large city and know there is human trafficking going on here.   I want to help HERE, NOW!

October 12, 2008, 4:05 pm CDT

10/10 Child Sex Slaves

Quote From: thinkforchange

Dear Folks,

I went to all the sites, signed up for newsletters, read about opportunities.   Unfortunately I didn't see anything I could do IN MY COMMUNITY NOW to help.   I live near A large city and know there is human trafficking going on here.   I want to help HERE, NOW!

It's good that you want to do something to help...unfortunate that there's nothing in your community...but, like Dr. Phil said, be on the lookout whenever you are in a public place; watch what's going on around you. If you see what seems to be a young woman who is cowering around the man she's with, or who seems to be too young to be his girlfriend (and is obviously not acting like a loving daughter) that should be a red flag.

Be aware of missing children posters and keep an eye out for them...you never know!

Know who your neighbors are. If you see unusual activity going on at a house, take down license numbers of cars. I'd rather err on the side of caution; you may save a child's life by being a bit nosy.

October 12, 2008, 4:11 pm CDT

10/10 Child Sex Slaves

Quote From: markbrown

If woman  knew  how to dress themself in Canada and USA and around the world it probably going to reduce the sex slave. Especially those yought one who wear t-shirts that say PLAYBOY and I bet you cannot touch them. For me there no different between a prostitution and a woman, their are basically the same think.  Sorry

Well, ignorance is certainly alive and well, isn't it! Your post proves that. It didn't make a bit of sense.

October 12, 2008, 9:16 pm CDT

You nwws help

Quote From: markbrown

If woman  knew  how to dress themself in Canada and USA and around the world it probably going to reduce the sex slave. Especially those yought one who wear t-shirts that say PLAYBOY and I bet you cannot touch them. For me there no different between a prostitution and a woman, their are basically the same think.  Sorry

You sound like one of the college boys who  don't think it is wrong to rape a female because your not able to control your basic instincts (think with your second head)  I pity youl and get help.

October 13, 2008, 11:00 am CDT

How You Can Help!

Quote From: thinkforchange

Dear Folks,

To everyone out there who saw the show and wants to be a part of the solution, there's a wonderful website www.stopthetraffik.org  (note the spelling of traffik has no "c" in it). It's an organization based in London, but they are sort of an umbrella agency that is connected to thousands of trafficking orgs around the world. Upon first glance it may seem daunting to manuever through the site because the first page lists many languages. Click on ENGLISH and then go to the tab at the top that says GET INVOLVED. On the left side of the page there are tabs that say IDEAS FOR ACTION. They list some really great ways that YOU can begin making a change, getting the word out, etc in your own community.
Thank you for watching, and on behalf of trafficking survivor Maria Suarez and all the other victims out there, thank you for caring.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last