Topic : BETA Community FAQ and Help Page
Already a DrPhil.com member? Log in here.
Not a member? Register here.
NOTE: Please post only questions related to technical issues, or how to use the new boards and blogs. Any other questions will be removed.
What is MY PAGE?
My Page allows you quick access to all of your member features.
- My Profile
- Shows your private member profile.
- Allows you to edit your profile picture.
- Allows you to edit your profile via the "About me" link.
- My Blog
- Lists all of your blog entries, mood changes and quote changes.
- Allows you to edit or delete a blog, or change the privacy setting.
- Allows you to select when the blog will be posted so you can write it in advance and select the date when it will go live.
- My Friend Gallery
- Shows all of your current friends.
- My Photo Gallery
- Shows all of your current photo entries.
- Allows you to edit or delete an entry.
- My Video Gallery
- Shows all of your current video entries.
- My Audio Gallery
- Shows all of your current audio entries.
- My Comments
- When a member posts a comment to your blog, you have the option to accept or reject it. All comments waiting to be approved by you will appear here.
- My Friends
- All pending friend requests will appear here, you have the option to accept or deny a request.
- My Media
- Shows number of audio or video entries awaiting approval.
What is UPDATE BLOG?
A blog is a section where you can share your thoughts on just about anything! It's similar to our current diaries, you can also select who is allowed to view your blog entries.
- Post a Text Entry
- Adds a text only entry.
- Post a Photo Entry
- Allows you to add one or more pictures along with text.
- Post a Video Entry
- Allows you to upload a video or record one from your webcam along with text.
- Post an Audio Entry
- Allows you to upload an audio file or record an audio along with text.
- Change Mood
- Add or change a mood with an icon along with a text entry.
- Change Goal
- Add a goal as a text entry.
- Change Quote
- Select or change a quote from a selected list of Dr. Phil "Philisms.".
What Types of Comments/Messages can I post?
There are four different types of messages you can post
- A Text entry allows you to only add text, nothing else.
- A Photo entry allows you to add a photo, or multiple photos along with text.
- A Video entry allows you to upload a video from your computer, or record one from your webcam. You can also add text to this entry.
- An Audio entry allows you to upload an audio file from your computer, or record one using your microphone. This also allows you to add text.
How do I post a Comment/Message or Blog Entry?
- To post a comment/message, click the arrow down icon next to Reply with Text. A dropdown box will appear allowing you to select a text, photo, Video or audio entry.
- For Audio, video and photo, please follow the instructions to upload or record. NOTE: We still need to add instructions for uploading a video and audio from your computer.
- For a Text entry, you can either type directly into the posting box and use the formatting toolbar, or you can use one of the following:
- The icon with the letter T on it allows you to paste something as plain text. Use this if you wish to strip any formatting when you're copying from another site or word processor. Click on the T, paste your text and click Insert. The plain text will then be inserted into the posting box for you to submit.
- The icon with the letter W allows you to paste something you already typed in Microsoft Word. It will keep the formatting just as it appears in Word. Click on the W, paste your text and click Insert. The formatted text will then be inserted into the posting box for you to submit.
- To the far right you will see HTML. Clicking this allows those familiar with HTML code to add their own HTML tags. Once you finish writing your coded text, click Update and your formatted text should then appear in the posting box to submit.
- For Blogs, you also have the option to choose who is allowed to view them (Everyone, Just Friends, Only You), whether or not comments are allowed to be posted to your blog, and the date you wish your blog to appear. The default is to appear today as soon as it is reviewed by the moderators.
A Blog is your personal place where you can chat about anything, some folks like to use it as a diary. The blog belongs to you and you have control over who is allowed to view it. You alone are responsible for screening all comments posted to your blog. You can view pending comments under MY PAGE at the top, also in the left column when you go to your own profile. You then have the option to accept or reject a comment posted by someone else to your blog.
Blogs can be edited, but once a public blog is edited, it's sent back to the moderators for review. You can also add moods, a Dr. Phil quote, and goals to your blog, all of these can be found under UPDATE BLOG at the top.
What are Friends?
Make new friends or invite current friends to be on your friends list! With Friends, you can set up a blog that only those on your friends list can view and comment on. You also have the option of selecting how much info from your profile page your friends are allowed to view.
When you invite someone to be your friend, you need to wait until they accept your invitation. If someone sends you a friends request, you can view Pending Requests under MY PAGE at the top. You then have the option to accept, or deny the request.
How do I invite someone to be on my Friends list?
If you see a message posted by one of your friends, simply click on their user name to access their profile page. From that page you can invite them to be your friend.
If your friend hasn't posted yet, you can use the "User Search" box located on the left side on the main community page to access their profile: http://community.drphil.com/
What is My Profile?
Your profile page is what others can view to learn more about you. They can access your public profile page by clicking on your user name. You can choose exactly what information is made public, and who is able to view it.
- To add a picture to your profile click Edit Profile Image and follow the instructions.
- To edit your About Me section, click the Edit link. Here you can select what information you wish to remain public for all to view, which information only your friends may view, and which information no one can view.
- This is where you can also update your personal info, and change your password.
- You can also select how many messages you can view per page, and increase the font size.
I selected to have everything in my profile private, but it's still showing up. Why?
If you are still logged into your account, you will see more info than what the public can view. To see exactly what others can view, log out and then locate your member profile. You can use the SEARCH on the left side to find it.
The following have now been added to the BETA boards:
- You can see whenever someone on your Friends list adds a new blog entry. Go to your profile page and next to the word FRIENDS it will list if there are any new entries posted by any of your friends to their blog.
On the main community page, on the left side you'll see a section called public blogs. As new blogs are created, they'll be added here for others to view. Similar to our Shared Diaries.
Ability to sort boards either by date or by popularity.
Ability to view NEW Messages since your last login. Also ALL messages.
Mousing over a profile pic on a message board post will enlarge the image for viewing.
Animated gifs are now supported on the BETA site. These will however, take a bit longer to upload since these files are generally larger in size.
Spell check has been added for text entries and comments
You can now choose a larger font size via your edit profile page.
You can now select messages to appear newest to oldest, or oldest to newest via your profile page.
- A Subscribe/Unsubscribe link has now been added to message boards and blogs so you can add your favorite ones to your subscription list for easy access. Your subscription list will appear at the bottom of your profile page.
- You may edit and/or delete any message or blog entry that you post.
As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.