Message Boards

Topic : BETA Community FAQ and Help Page

Number of Replies: 194
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 10:03:07 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. We’ve created this FAQ board to help guide you through the transition from the old boards to the new boards. Here, you will find helpful tips to getting started. You can also post your questions and we’ll answer them!

Already a DrPhil.com member? Log in here.

Not a member? Register here.

NOTE: Please post only questions related to technical issues, or how to use the new boards and blogs. Any other questions will be removed.

UPDATED 11/13/08

What is MY PAGE?

My Page allows you quick access to all of your member features.

• My Profile
    • Shows your private member profile.
    • Allows you to edit your profile picture.
    • Allows you to edit your profile via the "About me" link.
  • My Blog
    • Lists all of your blog entries, mood changes and quote changes.
    • Allows you to edit or delete a blog, or change the privacy setting.
    • Allows you to select when the blog will be posted so you can write it in advance and select the date when it will go live.
  • My Friend Gallery
    • Shows all of your current friends.
  • My Photo Gallery
    • Shows all of your current photo entries.
    • Allows you to edit or delete an entry.
  • My Video Gallery
    • Shows all of your current video entries.
  • My Audio Gallery
    • Shows all of your current audio entries.
  • My Comments
    • When a member posts a comment to your blog, you have the option to accept or reject it. All comments waiting to be approved by you will appear here.
  • My Friends
    • All pending friend requests will appear here, you have the option to accept or deny a request.
  • My Media
    • Shows number of audio or video entries awaiting approval.

What is UPDATE BLOG?

A blog is a section where you can share your thoughts on just about anything! It's similar to our current diaries, you can also select who is allowed to view your blog entries.

• Post a Text Entry
    • Adds a text only entry.
  • Post a Photo Entry
    • Allows you to add one or more pictures along with text.
  • Post a Video Entry
    • Allows you to upload a video or record one from your webcam along with text.
  • Post an Audio Entry
    • Allows you to upload an audio file or record an audio along with text.
  • Change Mood
    • Add or change a mood with an icon along with a text entry.
  • Change Goal
    • Add a goal as a text entry.
  • Change Quote
    • Select or change a quote from a selected list of Dr. Phil "Philisms.".

What Types of Comments/Messages can I post?

There are four different types of messages you can post

• A Text entry allows you to only add text, nothing else.
  • A Photo entry allows you to add a photo, or multiple photos along with text.
  • A Video entry allows you to upload a video from your computer, or record one from your webcam. You can also add text to this entry.
  • An Audio entry allows you to upload an audio file from your computer, or record one using your microphone. This also allows you to add text.

How do I post a Comment/Message or Blog Entry?

• To post a comment/message, click the arrow down icon next to Reply with Text. A dropdown box will appear allowing you to select a text, photo, Video or audio entry.
  • For Audio, video and photo, please follow the instructions to upload or record. NOTE: We still need to add instructions for uploading a video and audio from your computer.
  • For a Text entry, you can either type directly into the posting box and use the formatting toolbar, or you can use one of the following:
    • The icon with the letter T on it allows you to paste something as plain text. Use this if you wish to strip any formatting when you're copying from another site or word processor. Click on the T, paste your text and click Insert. The plain text will then be inserted into the posting box for you to submit.
    • The icon with the letter W allows you to paste something you already typed in Microsoft Word. It will keep the formatting just as it appears in Word. Click on the W, paste your text and click Insert. The formatted text will then be inserted into the posting box for you to submit.
    • To the far right you will see HTML. Clicking this allows those familiar with HTML code to add their own HTML tags. Once you finish writing your coded text, click Update and your formatted text should then appear in the posting box to submit.
    • For Blogs, you also have the option to choose who is allowed to view them (Everyone, Just Friends, Only You), whether or not comments are allowed to be posted to your blog, and the date you wish your blog to appear. The default is to appear today as soon as it is reviewed by the moderators.
What are Blogs?

A Blog is your personal place where you can chat about anything, some folks like to use it as a diary. The blog belongs to you and you have control over who is allowed to view it. You alone are responsible for screening all comments posted to your blog. You can view pending comments under MY PAGE at the top, also in the left column when you go to your own profile. You then have the option to accept or reject a comment posted by someone else to your blog.

Blogs can be edited, but once a public blog is edited, it's sent back to the moderators for review. You can also add moods, a Dr. Phil quote, and goals to your blog, all of these can be found under UPDATE BLOG at the top.

What are Friends?

Make new friends or invite current friends to be on your friends list! With Friends, you can set up a blog that only those on your friends list can view and comment on. You also have the option of selecting how much info from your profile page your friends are allowed to view.

When you invite someone to be your friend, you need to wait until they accept your invitation. If someone sends you a friends request, you can view Pending Requests under MY PAGE at the top. You then have the option to accept, or deny the request.

How do I invite someone to be on my Friends list?

If you see a message posted by one of your friends, simply click on their user name to access their profile page. From that page you can invite them to be your friend.

If your friend hasn't posted yet, you can use the "User Search" box located on the left side on the main community page to access their profile: http://community.drphil.com/

What is My Profile?

Your profile page is what others can view to learn more about you. They can access your public profile page by clicking on your user name. You can choose exactly what information is made public, and who is able to view it.

• To add a picture to your profile click Edit Profile Image and follow the instructions.
  • To edit your About Me section, click the Edit link. Here you can select what information you wish to remain public for all to view, which information only your friends may view, and which information no one can view.
  • This is where you can also update your personal info, and change your password.
  • You can also select how many messages you can view per page, and increase the font size.

I selected to have everything in my profile private, but it's still showing up. Why?

If you are still logged into your account, you will see more info than what the public can view. To see exactly what others can view, log out and then locate your member profile. You can use the SEARCH on the left side to find it.

The following have now been added to the BETA boards:

• You can see whenever someone on your Friends list adds a new blog entry. Go to your profile page and next to the word FRIENDS it will list if there are any new entries posted by any of your friends to their blog.
  • On the main community page, on the left side you'll see a section called public blogs. As new blogs are created, they'll be added here for others to view. Similar to our Shared Diaries.
  • Ability to sort boards either by date or by popularity.
  • Ability to view NEW Messages since your last login. Also ALL messages.
  • Mousing over a profile pic on a message board post will enlarge the image for viewing.
  • Animated gifs are now supported on the BETA site. These will however, take a bit longer to upload since these files are generally larger in size.
  • Spell check has been added for text entries and comments
  • You can now choose a larger font size via your edit profile page.
  • You can now select messages to appear newest to oldest, or oldest to newest via your profile page.
  • A Subscribe/Unsubscribe link has now been added to message boards and blogs so you can add your favorite ones to your subscription list for easy access. Your subscription list will appear at the bottom of your profile page.
  • You may edit and/or delete any message or blog entry that you post.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 8, 2008, 3:14 pm CDT

All posts gone?

1.  Can all of our previous posts be kept in the new format or are they wiped off?

2.  Some of the boards are missing.  Can they be reinstated please?

Thank you.

Suu

October 8, 2008, 3:39 pm CDT

Beta Community FAQ and Help Page

Quote From: suujoy

1.  Can all of our previous posts be kept in the new format or are they wiped off?

Thank you.

Suu

We will be starting fresh on the new boards so please save any posts you do not want to lose.

On the member created boards such as Weight Loss Member Support, members can create their own boards. The same is true for the BETA site. If you do not see your board, you can either create it yourself by clicking Create Text Post (Or Photo post if you wish to add a picture) at the top on the boards. You can also email Tech support and request that they add the board for you.

October 8, 2008, 5:06 pm CDT

message order

Will there be a way to read the oldest messages first without having to go back through all of the pages & read from the bottom up? It drives me crazy having to do that. The normal way people read anything is from the oldest to the newest & from the top to the bottom. For the sake of the sanity of everybody who reads these message boards, please put the messages in order from oldest to newest & top to bottom.

October 8, 2008, 6:16 pm CDT

Quote From: kjjarvis1

Will there be a way to read the oldest messages first without having to go back through all of the pages & read from the bottom up? It drives me crazy having to do that. The normal way people read anything is from the oldest to the newest & from the top to the bottom. For the sake of the sanity of everybody who reads these message boards, please put the messages in order from oldest to newest & top to bottom.
I'm collecting all feedback and suggestions and will pass this one along to our developers, thanks!

October 8, 2008, 7:41 pm CDT

Hi....

Are we going to wake up on morning and POOF the old way will be gone?  Or will we be able to bounce inbetween worlds?   Alot of us are technolically challenged and we cannot keep up!

Please help!

xox

S

October 8, 2008, 7:55 pm CDT

Quote From: labelfree

Are we going to wake up on morning and POOF the old way will be gone?  Or will we be able to bounce inbetween worlds?   Alot of us are technolically challenged and we cannot keep up!

Please help!

xox

S

Eventually the old boards will be turned off.  We don't have a date yet.  This is a good time to play with the new boards, get used to them, maybe go back and forth, and ask questions and make suggestions.

Thank you

October 8, 2008, 8:37 pm CDT

Alright DrPhilBoard1.....

1.) How do I "upload" a photo from My Pictures to the new Beta Area. I'm quite technologically challenged! And after reviewing and doing drang and drop my new profile image didn't appear. Help!

2.) Also, I'm writing and would like to save many of my post, as I've written things in my posts that I had planed to use in my writing! Almost all of my post in fact! How do I do that?

Thank You,

Brenda

October 9, 2008, 6:23 am CDT

Quote From: labelfree

Please help!

xox

S

Once we completely switch over, the current boards will be archived as read only. You'll still be able to read messages, but will no longer be able to post on these boards.

October 9, 2008, 6:31 am CDT

Quote From: blgspc

1.) How do I "upload" a photo from My Pictures to the new Beta Area. I'm quite technologically challenged! And after reviewing and doing drang and drop my new profile image didn't appear. Help!

2.) Also, I'm writing and would like to save many of my post, as I've written things in my posts that I had planed to use in my writing! Almost all of my post in fact! How do I do that?

Thank You,

Brenda

The new system does not have a photo manager where you can store images. Instead you have the option to post a photo message. Currently that's called "Reply with photo" when you click the little down arrow next to "Reply with text". Just so you know, we'll be changing that link in the next week or so to make it a bit more user friendly. 

I haven't had a chance to add the various types of messages you can post to the FAQs above, but will be adding that sometime today. A photo message allows you to upload a photo, or multiple photos which will then appear in your message.

The current boards will remain as read only so you'll have the ability to go back and copy any of your messages. It might be a good idea to start copying them now because I'm not sure if we'll still have the ability to read all posts by a user once we switch over. We might, but I can't guarantee it.

October 9, 2008, 6:32 am CDT

Why is all of my personal information showing up on my profile as I have it set to "private"?

Can others see it, or only on my profile?

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last