Message Boards

Topic : 01/01 You Got Served

Number of Replies: 113
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 10, 2008, 02:46:25 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date 10/13/08) Are you fighting to maintain a happy marriage and family, but find your life crumbling down around you? Maybe you’ll relate to Dr. Phil’s guests. Angelo was served with divorce papers two weeks ago but can’t bring himself to read them. His wife of 12 years, Kathy, moved out four months ago. Angelo says the divorce papers were a wake-up call, and now he’s ready to do whatever it takes to save his marriage. Kathy says she’s heard it all before. The couple has three children, and Kathy is eight months pregnant with baby number four. Dr. Phil sits down with Angelo and Kathy to see if there’s a sliver of hope for turning this marriage around. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 12, 2008, 9:16 am CDT

You got served

Just reading the upcoming episode strikes a sensitive cord with me.  After 23 years of marriage, I served my husband at the end of July.  Kathy's husband now saying he's had a wake up call, makes me sick.  Mine loves to say he never saw it coming.  What is it with these men who refuse to take responsibility for what they do.  Kathy, I don't know the specifics of your situation, but I can only imagine it's taken quite a bit for you to get to this place.  Keep going until your freed from this guy whose ignored you for so long.  I guess those words are for me, but if they fit, you're welcome to them.  Good luck to you in the process.

I'm finding it completely awful and most days unbearable.

L

October 12, 2008, 9:46 am CDT

Sick

To be honest these divorce shows are getting really old. I find that I'm changing the channel now because they're just boring. There are a lot of other issues facing America today that are a lot more important than someone who made a poor choice in a spouse. Dr. Phil, I think you're great but these divorce shows are just too boring for me.

October 12, 2008, 12:02 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Got Phil Served You. Are you kidding me? I have never got served by a Jury Duty in my life. See you

on Monday October 13th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------------------

October 12, 2008, 3:59 pm CDT

what?

Angelo only got the wake up call when he got the divorce papers not when Kathy moved out ???

Is this guy for REAL?

No Kathy this guy should of woken up a long time ago that's for sure!!!

October 12, 2008, 4:02 pm CDT

What's the issue?

It really depends on what the issues are.  Divorce isn't something to take lightly, not for yourself and especially not for the kids.  If it's physical abuse...leave and don't look back.  If it's that he's not living up to what you feel a husband should be, divorce is a strenuous solution to a temporary problem.  Good luck in what ever you decide!  Break it down Dr Phil!

~Melissa~

October 12, 2008, 4:03 pm CDT

10/13 You Got Served

Quote From: hpmx59

Doctor Got Phil Served You. Are you kidding me? I have never got served by a Jury Duty in my life. See you

on Monday October 13th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------------------

Oh come on now.  She's just experiencing 'motherhood' feeling unwanted and unattractive.

He on the other hand needs to growup and try and be a mature male. How in the world

does she think she will raise those children without their father? Not that it can't be done but

she seems to have given up and stop having babies if you are comtemplating divorce!

October 12, 2008, 5:17 pm CDT

10/13 You Got Served

I feel like one of the other writers, if it is worth saving not just for the sake of the kids but for you too then give him and your marriage another shot.  If he has been abusive in ANY way then you have done the right thing and be strong.  To the person who thinks you can't do this on your own is right....that's why there is child support!  He can also stay the father figure in your children's lives as he should!  Maybe if the marriage can't be saved, he can teach your children not to take for granted who is in their lives and cherish your family!  Women raise their children all the time on their own...you can do it if it comes to that!  Take help from family members or friends when you need it!   Good luck to you and your family!

October 12, 2008, 5:38 pm CDT

Divorced, distressed but am I free?

Quote From: loschnei

Just reading the upcoming episode strikes a sensitive cord with me.  After 23 years of marriage, I served my husband at the end of July.  Kathy's husband now saying he's had a wake up call, makes me sick.  Mine loves to say he never saw it coming.  What is it with these men who refuse to take responsibility for what they do.  Kathy, I don't know the specifics of your situation, but I can only imagine it's taken quite a bit for you to get to this place.  Keep going until your freed from this guy whose ignored you for so long.  I guess those words are for me, but if they fit, you're welcome to them.  Good luck to you in the process.

I'm finding it completely awful and most days unbearable.

L

I'm was served, in shock, too much so to fill out paper work.  I learned that my relationship was abusive.  I was free.....at first...now, I'm in shock and reality is sinking in.  I've lost 30 lbs and I'm not even divorced yet.  I still do not have a lawyer, meanwhile, my husband is burying me.

I need major help.....

October 12, 2008, 7:05 pm CDT

You Got Served!!

I have recently gone through this type of situation. Its been a full year now since I told my now ex I was going to move out. We were married for 12 years at that time.  I really did not realize how unhappy I was until I did make the move to do it. Now granted the last few months in the house with him was awful. I was waiting until after the holidays to do anything. I was very honest with him from the beginning. I had voiced my concerns and unhappiness for years. I begged for counseling many times..just to be told we were fine. I woke up one night at 3am and broke down in tears because I knew what I had to do. I turned to friends for help before I made my final decision. One friend told me to do whatever made ME happy because in the long run the kids would be happy too. I have been out of the house for 10 months now, my divorce(filed by him) is final now and I have never been happier.  My situation has turned out well though. we get along now better than ever. We have joint custody of the kids so we both get to see them during the week, we are both flexible with the schedule and the best thing of all is there is no fighting over child support. this was my idea...I feel that he will have the kids the same amount of time I will why should he have to pay. We do split the cost of some things for the kids...and so far this agreement has worked with us.  If this is what she needs to be happy then go for it just be sure you can handle it all...its been hard but I'm surviving HAPPY!

October 12, 2008, 9:24 pm CDT

10/13 You Got Served

The first twelve years of our marriage were not good.  I almost left several times, but did not know what I would do with our little kids, and then my faith in God wouldn't let me just walk out.

When my husband did decide to straighten out (The Lord got hold of him, not me) it took me several years to believe he would not revert to his former ways.  He has not, and we have now been married 51 years.  That is not to say that every day had a beautiful sunrise, but we both appreciate the fact that we have each other.

At our age, many of our friends are now alone due to the death of their loved one.  Every funeral we attend brings home, again, just how important it was we tried again, and again, and again, etc.

Marriage is not easy, it is a union of a man (with a set of hard wired opinions and actions) and a woman (with an equally set of hard wired opinions and actions.).  Never the twain shall meet, but become entwined, one with the other.  It is like putting your fingers together.  No two fingers are alike, but they each serve a purpose, and each hand alone does not have the power of two joined hands.

HANG IN THERE!  Even if it is only for the children's sake, they need both parents, and brutal divorces mess all the kids up (our son: case in point).

When there were bad days, I thought of arranged marriages in the old days, and maybe they had the right idea.  They matched families and qualities with which they had to live.  I chose my own husband, and he chose me.  Guess our way was the best way after all.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last