Message Boards

Topic : 10/14 Campus Crisis

Number of Replies: 134
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 10, 2008, 02:47:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents and college students, listen up! College campuses all across the country are dealing with issues relating to sexual assault, drinking deaths and hazing. Did you know that as many as one in four college women are victims of rape or attempted sexual assault? And that 84 percent of college men who committed rape said that what they did would not be defined as rape in their own minds? Know the safety tips and warning signs before you or your child is caught in a crisis. Dr. Phil’s first guest, Cynthia, is a mother in anguish over the loss of her daughter, 19-year-old freshman, Megan. Seven months after Megan was allegedly gang raped by at least three men in her dormitory, the student took her own life. Attorney Gloria Allred represents Cynthia in a civil lawsuit claiming that Dominican College failed to investigate Megan’s alleged attack in any meaningful way. Hear the bizarre and disturbing twist in this story. Then, meet another freshman who’s already had two frightening experiences in her first month of college that left her mother wanting to bring her home. Plus, learn what you can teach your teen before he or she heads off to college, and the top five safety tips all students need to know to protect themselves on campus. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 12, 2008, 9:15 am CDT

Eastern Michigan University Cover-Up

I hope Dr. Phil talks about an incident at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, MI.  In December of 2005, a student named Laura Dickinson was found murdered at Hill Hall.  The crime wasn't reported until Feb. of 2006.  A man named Orange Taylor III was eventually arrested, charged and convicted of murder and several other crimes, and was sentenced to life in prison.  The campus committed a violation of the Clery Act, and that cost several people their jobs, including college president John A. Fallon.  EMU settled a lawsuit with the family of Laura Dickinson for $2.5-million.

October 12, 2008, 12:06 pm CDT

Another made up crisis

The 1 in 4 number is wildly inaccurate and comes from a completely discredited study from MsMagazine. Read this article for a real analysis with proper stastics that will put the discussion in the proper framework.

http://www.leaderu.com/real/ri9502/sommers.html

This is a link to a well researched article on actual rape rates and false rape accusations.

http://www.wendymcelroy.com/ifeminists/2003/0722.html

October 12, 2008, 12:09 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Campus Crisis Doctor Phil/Robin. I have never heard of it before. But I might aswell watch it myself.----------

See you on Tuesday October 14th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.---------------------------------------

October 12, 2008, 1:06 pm CDT

Oh Please

Quote From: 2boysdad

The 1 in 4 number is wildly inaccurate and comes from a completely discredited study from MsMagazine. Read this article for a real analysis with proper stastics that will put the discussion in the proper framework.

http://www.leaderu.com/real/ri9502/sommers.html

This is a link to a well researched article on actual rape rates and false rape accusations.

http://www.wendymcelroy.com/ifeminists/2003/0722.html

These numbers are actually low given how hard many colleges, work to cover up rapes, especially when they are committed by students and that many rapes are never reported in the first place.  

Why would you even post something like this?

October 12, 2008, 4:40 pm CDT

Gallaudet University Murders

My son, Eric, was murdered on the campus of Gallaudet University back in September of 2000. He had only been in college for a little over a month. Gallaudet is the premier college for the deaf and hard of hearing in the world.  Eric's mother, step father, my wife and I were thrilled to have Eric accepted to Gallaudet. We thought Gallaudet was a very safe college, even thou it was located in the worst section of DC. Gallaudet had the reputation of being one of the safest colleges in the world.

My world crumbled on the morning of September 28, 2000 when I received a call from my daughter asking if the police had been to our house. I said no ,why? She said then you don't know that they found Eric murdered in his dorm room last night. Mom and I are headed to DC to find out what happened to Eric.

That morning started a long road of anger, hurt, disbelief, rage, grief, and finely healing and forgiveness. We found out that Gallaudet isn't any different than any other college campus in the U.S. They have drinking, drugs, rapes and a multitude of other bad behaviors on that campus. They also have bad decision making by school administrators. Mr. Mesa the student that murdered Eric had been thrown out of school the year before for stealing a credit card and running the bill up I believe over $3,000.00. and destroying a computer because of his temper. it was never brought to the police's attention, the administration wanted to handle it in house. Mr. Mesa was back in school the next year, and it only took a little over a month to find another victim and that was my son, Eric. Mr. Mesa's thinking was " I got caught last year, this year I will kill my victims first, that way I can't get caught stealing ". Mr. Mesa also murdered Ben Varner in his dorm room four months after he murdered Eric. Mr. Mesa murdered Eric for his credit card, too bad it was a debit card & Eric only had $145.00 in his checking account, and murdered Ben for his checkbook. He wrote a check for $650.00 and cashed it at the local bank.

I now tell parents that are sending their kids to college, to think of college as an extension of the world around us. College campuses don't have a large protective bubble around them to keep your child safe. Especially, If the campus is an open campus in the middle of a large town or city. If there is a serial rapist , serial murderer, car thief, robber or mentally ill person walking outside that campus, then they also have access to any student on that campus. Anyone of those types of people could also be students on that campus.

October 12, 2008, 6:08 pm CDT

Parents =deer in headlights

Hi Dr Phil and Robin :

I worked in an Emergency Room  as a Registered Nurse where there was a private catholic university literally 2 minutes away from our back door.  Every Friday and Saturday, like clockwork ,we could depend on the ambulances rolling in with students who had too much to drink on campus. Some worse than others.  Pretty much the same protocol for everyone.  Nasal gastric tube, Foley catheter, IV sometimes 2,  oxygen if needed and continual blood draws throughout the shift to make sure the alcohol levels were coming down.  Then in 8, 10, 12 hours when their levels were safe enough for discharge they would be released either to the RA(resident adviser) or the parents. What frustrated me the most as a nurse and a parent who had sent 4 of my own children off to college was that,  when the parents were called, they were so amazed that it was their kid  we were talking about.  Almost as if  we made the entire story up just to make them miserable by waking them up in the middle of the night.  The disbelief was amazing to me.  Not my kid was the response we heard more often than not.  And  as always it was the fault of the school.  Ok moms and dads  take the blinders off.  Stop thinking its everyone else's responsibility to take care of our kids. Start taking ownership.  We send our kids out into the world  so do we assume their gonna do the worst? Truly free for the first time.  We hope and pray we have instilled enough good judgment and morals so they can survive and we get to hope for the best.  Well after a couple of years of this foolish behavior, the hospital administration met with the University's administration.  With the combined efforts of both  institutions, the incidences were reduced dramatically. The team approach parents, students,  school and hospital staff  working  together for the good of one goal.  To keep our children safe, even if for one more day.

October 12, 2008, 8:03 pm CDT

College Violence

My daughter graduates high school in May. She is going to college here locally. Why, she says, she's scared to live on campus and it's stupid to spend the money.  She has  been in the Upward Bound program for four years. In that program the local college shows them the lifestyle, classes etc of college life. Minus the parties of course but they do tell them of the violence and how to keep safe. Dr Phil, I wish every child had a chance at that training as it may save lives.  Our program is thru Westeren Iowa Tech Community College here and they handle out of town schools.  Another college here, Briar Cliff, handles the kids from schools here in town.  These kids do live in the dorms for 6 weeks each summer with security guards to protect them.  May God help those thru who have lost children from death or caused the death of another student thru murder, rape and such. My heart and prayers are with all of you.

Karla C.

Sioux City, Iowa

October 12, 2008, 8:21 pm CDT

Because it is the truth

Quote From: trigreen

These numbers are actually low given how hard many colleges, work to cover up rapes, especially when they are committed by students and that many rapes are never reported in the first place.  

Why would you even post something like this?
Made up numbers help no one, and conspiracy theories prove nothing. The real numbers are not even close to 1 in 4. Get informed, read the articles. 

October 13, 2008, 6:53 am CDT

Any tips?

Bad and dirty people and things are found everywhere... yeah...

But this is really scary. I will get my Masters Degree - hope this comes true - from a university in Saint Louis, Missouri and my brother is thinking of the same idea, but the problem is that we rarely have such bad behaviors where we live (in the Middle East); such as rapes, murdering... etc... and I've heard lots of such stories in the US...

I also got a story. My father studied at the same university in Missouri which I really hope I will be going to, he knew that I liked the idea of studying there so he began to tell me how to take care of myself and stuff.. but he was there like 25 years ago... I know that's a very long time ago, but man never changes, the internal desires and the bad ones never go away...

So yeah, my Daddy used to be friends with a great American family which had a nice lady who studied with my Dad... One day, this nice lady was going back home from university when one of her "colleagues" at the same university kidnapped her. Then, he raped her and finally tried to kill her. He thankfully couldn't... so yeah, this is really creepy.. if anyone could inform with good tips on how to be safe as a student (especially as a female one) in university, it would be great of him/her!

Good luck everyone & thanks! :)

October 13, 2008, 7:14 am CDT

Be More Careful

I'm a guy and I'm not backing up the guys, especially the ones who can't control their minds and hormones, but women also dress in lustful ways and flirt with guys too much that it leads some men to do what they do and they end up raping women. I see women who like to tease guys and lead them on, and when they get the guys all fired up about the women they blow the men off. You don't mess with people's sexual feelings like that, especially when you know that guys will screw anything that walks and has boobs. The fact that you know that, if you decide to play the tease game then don't complain if you get raped. You get back what you put out there. If you don't like being raped or sexually molested, then stop flirting or teasing.

As for the inoccent women who get caught in this situation. First I would recommend every teenage girl by their freshman year in High School to take a self-defense class. Also I would say never go anywhere by yourself. bring at least 2 more girl friends with you. Don't go anywhere with a guy alone if you don't plan to have sex with him because most likely guys will have sex on their mind. Don't put yourself in that situation. If you ever do then at least you'll be able to defend yourself and may get a chance to run away and ask for help. Do all that you can to stay out of that situation. Double-Date, Triple-Date........BE SAFE!!!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last