Message Boards

Topic : 12/31 "Who Am I?"

Number of Replies: 288
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 10, 2008, 02:53:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/16/08) Imagine waking up one day and having no recollection of anything or anyone. What would you do? Four years ago, that was the fate of a man who now calls himself Benjaman: Found beaten, naked and unconscious behind a Burger King in Georgia, Benjaman didn't even recognize himself in the mirror. Although he can't recall his past, what does Benjaman say he knows to be true about his life? Katherine, a nurse working at a health facility, took him in and is working tirelessly to help him discover his true identity. Dr. Phil put private investigator Harold Copus on the case. Did he determine Benjaman's true identity? Is Benjaman suffering from a severe case of amnesia? Dr. Barbara Knowlton, professor of psychology at UCLA and Dr. Frank Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil advisory board, shed light on this condition. Then, meet Holly, who not only suffers from amnesia, but is also fighting another condition that has dramatically hindered her life. Find out how she has been able to move forward. Will the advice she offers Benjaman inspire him to keep putting one foot in front of the other? Tune in to see if you recognize Benjaman.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you think you know this man?  E-mail the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 2, 2009, 8:20 pm CST

What about social security?

I was wondering if there is a way to search the Social Security Administration database for inactive numbers based on approximate age and geography. If a number has not been used it should be easier to eliminate others within that demographic. The SSA would have records of any employment or claims or death notices for those numbers.
Just a thought. The "lack of privacy" issues in this country should make that easy enough!

January 3, 2009, 3:51 am CST

? Hypnosis

I am wondering if they put Benjamin under Hypnosis if that would uncover anything? I think you can rule out the military or federal service because when they did his fingerprints it turned up nothing. Could it be that there are so many family dynamics involved and this is why no one who knows him has come forward and when he was himself he had a completely different persona? In this day and age with all the DNA testing available I am surprised this was not done or maybe it was and not mentioned on the show.

I am really interested in this case and would love to know if any progress has been made.

January 3, 2009, 6:08 am CST

William Albert "Spike" Keathley

I spoke with Spike's brother who says he died of smoke inhalation in '96 in Arizona. He said he went to the funeral. I had a friend who died of a drug overdose. He was bagged & tagged (his words). And he came back to life. I had another friend that says the same thing happened to him. Neither one of them got amnesia. But it seems to me, depending on the burial/cremation/organ donor or whatever the case, If this man "Spike" "came back to life" and just escaped, it would be something that the people responsible would not want to get out. Spike could have had amnesia since '96.

Spike had been known to drink or do drugs occasionally and considering his wandering lifestyle, he would run into many more diverse types of people in his journeys. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that this person could be the supposedly deceased Spike.

January 3, 2009, 6:17 pm CST

12/31 "Who Am I?"

if this "spike keathley" person is someone of note, this link may provide more information.

http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/obituaries/local_story_238235311.html

it is an obituary of his mother, and it refers to him as william albert "spike" keathley.

i don't want to perpetuate false information, but if this is of consequence, it could be worth pursuing.

January 4, 2009, 7:06 am CST

Wow...great idea

Quote From: dayowl

I was wondering if there is a way to search the Social Security Administration database for inactive numbers based on approximate age and geography. If a number has not been used it should be easier to eliminate others within that demographic. The SSA would have records of any employment or claims or death notices for those numbers.
Just a thought. The "lack of privacy" issues in this country should make that easy enough!
Does anyone know if a program like this exists?  Another thought-there is such a fabulous abandoned money site in Colorado-there has to be a way to determine if there is anyway to run that back to BK....

January 4, 2009, 7:15 am CST

Hmmm...

Quote From: poorestchump

I spoke with Spike's brother who says he died of smoke inhalation in '96 in Arizona. He said he went to the funeral. I had a friend who died of a drug overdose. He was bagged & tagged (his words). And he came back to life. I had another friend that says the same thing happened to him. Neither one of them got amnesia. But it seems to me, depending on the burial/cremation/organ donor or whatever the case, If this man "Spike" "came back to life" and just escaped, it would be something that the people responsible would not want to get out. Spike could have had amnesia since '96.

Spike had been known to drink or do drugs occasionally and considering his wandering lifestyle, he would run into many more diverse types of people in his journeys. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that this person could be the supposedly deceased Spike.

Would you send Spike's brother a link to the photos or the website here to see what he thinks??  It would certainly be an interesting turn of events if Spike never died...

January 4, 2009, 7:37 am CST

"Spike" Keathley

It appears that Spike has at least 2 copyrights for songs or a collection of songs registered at "bulk.resource.org". I don't know what all those numbers mean but aparently there is some record of his being someone of "note"... excuse the pun.

I can tell you with regard to Benjaman, he and Spike have similar facial expressions. The only other thing that looks familiar to me is his obvious shyness. Spike and I would play at various bars, as I mentioned, but he never really seemed comfortable no matter how much the applause. Benjaman doesn't have the same accent he had assuming the far-reaching possibility that he could be the "late" Spike Keathley. Spike had a fairly Texan accent. But Spike really got around. He may not have been around long enough before he moves on to another State, where he would probably pick some of the speaking habits of the locals, to develop an accent that would really stick. Also, the only thing that looks familiar about "Benjaman" is the time regressed pictures. But the picture is pretty dead-on.

I'm sure wherever Spike went - at least before '96 - he would continue to impress people with his musical abilities. The only problem I can see is that the people that he would usually end up hanging with would be of a lower class than he was - in terms of talent, skill and ambition - maybe that's why he moved around so much. I only say that because many of them may seem kind of flaky.

Also, I found out Spike would now be 52 yrs. old... not 58.

January 4, 2009, 8:08 am CST

12/31 "Who Am I?"

Quote From: gobkyle

Would you send Spike's brother a link to the photos or the website here to see what he thinks??  It would certainly be an interesting turn of events if Spike never died...

I don't know Spike's brother. I looked up his number in the phone book. I'm a little shy about these kinds of things when I find out Spike's supposed to be dead. I tried to call him back and left a message to confirm that my memory is correct when I remember that Spike had blue-green eyes. I also asked him if the name Benjaman Kyle meant anything to him. He didn't call back (been 2 days). I don't want to bother the guy because he's probably pretty old since his mother just died last August at age 84. She must have been 32 when she had Spike since Spike would now be 52.

Anyway, the guy probably thinks I'm a flake. Any producers out there want to take a shot at it?

January 4, 2009, 8:20 am CST

12/31

I have searched the first name and last name of 'Benjaman' in Indiana and came up with 36 people w/ that last name and spelling. It shows me the cities in IN where the person has lived and shows me other cities in other states where the person has lived.  I am posting Benjaman's pic and info in each of these cities on the Topix forum online.  Also, because he seems so professional I'm posting the info in major city forums on Topix such as NY, NY, Chicago, IL, and Atlanta, GA in case he would have travelled there on business.  I'll let you know if I receive any responses.  I would like to point out that most business people you meet from GA were not born here.  They've lived here 10-20 years and worked here, but grew up somewhere else.  While his speech patterns may indicate that he grew up somewhere else, I don't believe it indicates that he wasn't living in GA.  It's also not uncommon for people to retire in GA and FL.

January 4, 2009, 12:15 pm CST

Spike Kiethley

Okay, so I went over to his brother's house. I showed him the time regressed picture and he admitted it looked a lot like Spike. Of course, they weren't close for the last 20 years of his life, and he only lived another 19. Bottom line is: the guy doesn't want to get involved and who can blame him? I'm just some strange person with some pictures that happen to look like his brother who has been dead for 13 years. Why would he think otherwise? He told me Spike's buried off the Gulf Fwy. in Houston... and he doesn't know if he was an organ donor or not.

He really didn't want to talk to me so I apologized for bothering him and left.

It's probably just a really big coincidence, I mean really, who could possibly believe in someone rising from the dead, living 9 years with amnesia and then another 4 still with amnesia. But if it happened I'll bet it would be traumatic enough to bring on plenty of want-ta-forgetfulness.

First | Prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | Next | Last