Message Boards

Topic : 12/31 "Who Am I?"

Number of Replies: 288
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 10, 2008, 02:53:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/16/08) Imagine waking up one day and having no recollection of anything or anyone. What would you do? Four years ago, that was the fate of a man who now calls himself Benjaman: Found beaten, naked and unconscious behind a Burger King in Georgia, Benjaman didn't even recognize himself in the mirror. Although he can't recall his past, what does Benjaman say he knows to be true about his life? Katherine, a nurse working at a health facility, took him in and is working tirelessly to help him discover his true identity. Dr. Phil put private investigator Harold Copus on the case. Did he determine Benjaman's true identity? Is Benjaman suffering from a severe case of amnesia? Dr. Barbara Knowlton, professor of psychology at UCLA and Dr. Frank Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil advisory board, shed light on this condition. Then, meet Holly, who not only suffers from amnesia, but is also fighting another condition that has dramatically hindered her life. Find out how she has been able to move forward. Will the advice she offers Benjaman inspire him to keep putting one foot in front of the other? Tune in to see if you recognize Benjaman.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you think you know this man?  E-mail the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 4, 2009, 1:42 pm CST

"Spike" Keathley

Quote From: gobkyle

Would you send Spike's brother a link to the photos or the website here to see what he thinks??  It would certainly be an interesting turn of events if Spike never died...

Sorry, I meant to include your quote on the last message.

An interesting turn of events indeed. Spike was a local celebrity in his own right. He deserves his own show even if he turns out not to be Benjaman.

Spike traveled the world, gutiar or banjo in hand, perhaps influenced by his mother Violet, his own love and "addiction" to music and intellectual pursuit of a way to get over his aparent shyness and to play pure perfection. All good musicians are perfectionists. I said that. What he said was, "You can't be a real musician if you can say you don't like a certain type of music. He said you can always find some good song in any flavor. He also said to keep time with your foot. All musicians keep time. Maybe he was trying to tell me something.

But if Spike never died... worth a story either way... "DOES ANYONE KNOW the late "SPIKE KEATHLEY"?

My guess is he's been in every state in the U.S., Germany... maybe some others. Hoaky. Can it be made believable?... Hmmm..

January 6, 2009, 9:23 am CST

Spikes Brother

I am simply blown away at the audacity of the poster who not only phoned Spikes brother but had the nerve to show up at his door! Can you even IMAGINE getting a visit from a complete stranger talking about the possibility of them waking from the dead years before? Cruel and disgusting, in my opinion.

January 6, 2009, 3:23 pm CST

Spike's sisters

Quote From: missnunya

I am simply blown away at the audacity of the poster who not only phoned Spikes brother but had the nerve to show up at his door! Can you even IMAGINE getting a visit from a complete stranger talking about the possibility of them waking from the dead years before? Cruel and disgusting, in my opinion.

Sorry I offended you. Will you be offended if it really is Spike? Do you think Spike would be offended? You have no idea how much Benjaman looks like Spike. Will you be offended if I can get my hands on some pictures from one of his sisters?

Has it occurred to you that nobody is looking for him because he died? Also, they probably haven't seen him since the early '80's.

But you're right. Spike's brother looked a little shaken when I showed him the picture. I did apologize and I won't bother him again. But I might shake up his sisters a bit. I can be cruel - if I think I have a good reason. And I can be disgusting - I have a cold right now and I'm coughing up some pretty nasty stuff.

But seriously, how do you get your eyes burned from walking on the beach... or from being knocked out?

Do people really leave their eyes open when they're unconscious? Do people develop cataracts overnight? This guy must have been walking around half blind for a long time.

Cruel and disgusting are only relative terms, in my opinion.

January 6, 2009, 4:26 pm CST

12/31 "Who Am I?"

Quote From: poorestchump

Sorry I offended you. Will you be offended if it really is Spike? Do you think Spike would be offended? You have no idea how much Benjaman looks like Spike. Will you be offended if I can get my hands on some pictures from one of his sisters?

Has it occurred to you that nobody is looking for him because he died? Also, they probably haven't seen him since the early '80's.

But you're right. Spike's brother looked a little shaken when I showed him the picture. I did apologize and I won't bother him again. But I might shake up his sisters a bit. I can be cruel - if I think I have a good reason. And I can be disgusting - I have a cold right now and I'm coughing up some pretty nasty stuff.

But seriously, how do you get your eyes burned from walking on the beach... or from being knocked out?

Do people really leave their eyes open when they're unconscious? Do people develop cataracts overnight? This guy must have been walking around half blind for a long time.

Cruel and disgusting are only relative terms, in my opinion.

I wonder/doubt if dr.phil or his team really read through all these messages on the board. I wonder if you have filled out the form with your real name/number/email/address/etc. and sent dr. phil this information through this website.

Whether this is "spike" or if it is another man there can only be some strange story of thinking the person was dead 20 years ago or something to explain no one claiming him. I mean for no family member to come forward is sad but for no neighbor or anyone to say they have ever seen him must mean he looks soooo different then he once did. I know I go to the same 2 or 3 grocery stores a few times a month and overtime you remember people or their faces so how has not even a clerk or anyone recognized him.

When he was found did they test his drug/alcohol level? Even after when it was coming about he didnt know who he was they could have taken hair and tested it for drugs.

Unless he was locked somewhere or in a cave someone has to recognized him.

January 7, 2009, 5:52 am CST

12/31 "Who Am I?"

Quote From: najlah17

I wonder/doubt if dr.phil or his team really read through all these messages on the board. I wonder if you have filled out the form with your real name/number/email/address/etc. and sent dr. phil this information through this website.

Whether this is "spike" or if it is another man there can only be some strange story of thinking the person was dead 20 years ago or something to explain no one claiming him. I mean for no family member to come forward is sad but for no neighbor or anyone to say they have ever seen him must mean he looks soooo different then he once did. I know I go to the same 2 or 3 grocery stores a few times a month and overtime you remember people or their faces so how has not even a clerk or anyone recognized him.

When he was found did they test his drug/alcohol level? Even after when it was coming about he didnt know who he was they could have taken hair and tested it for drugs.

Unless he was locked somewhere or in a cave someone has to recognized him.

I asked the same thing when I filled out the form (w/my Real Name/Email/Number/Address/etc.).

I also left a message w/the FBI agent handling the case 3 days ago (no response).

Can anyone think of a better reason that no one recognizes him? Spike lived on the road for his last 20 years. He would be accustomed to it, I think maybe even if he didn't remember who he was, he would still have that wandering instinct. I don't think instinct is forgotten. And he was very resourseful. He was polite, brilliant (in my opinion) and personable despite his shyness. He was just an over-all great guy. And it wouldn't hurt his feelings to live in a cave or under a bridge.

And you're obviously right. The pictures now look NOTHING like the picture from his 30's.

And don't forget, I had a friend claw his way out of a body bag and yank the tag off his toe.

January 7, 2009, 10:41 am CST

BK found in GA

Quote From: jkeywest

Missed, the city and state he was found in.  If anyone knows the lcation, could you please post answer, thanks. Forgot to add that in my first message.
Benjaman Kyle was found in Richmond Hill, GA. 

January 7, 2009, 3:57 pm CST

Cosmetic Surgery

Quote From: dreamvision

Benjaman Kyle was found in Richmond Hill, GA. 

Has anyone determined if Benjaman may have had some cosmetic surgery to his face? 

Also, I think it would be helpful to have pictures of him wearing glasses - several pairs with different styles and frames.  Many people look quite different wearing glasses than they do without them. 

January 7, 2009, 6:27 pm CST

Has anyone thought....

That his amnesia altered his personality, demeanor AND accent as well?    Amnesia just doesn't affect memory, it affects plenty other areas of the brain.   Ok, well, maybe not just amnesia, but has this man had brain scans to see which part of the brain are damaged? (f that's possible).   I read a woman was working with him to try to figure out what part of the country he came from.   His accent may have totally changed, and maybe that's why he thinks he's from Indiana.   

And what about figerprints and footprints.   Dont' they take footprints when your born?   If he thinks he was born in Indiana , then try hospitals there to see if the footprints match up. 

I would not put this past our government to do something like this.   That's pretty sad isn't it?   :-(

January 7, 2009, 11:49 pm CST

Who Am I

In regards to Benjamin amnesia, I've been extremely intrigue by UFO's lately because my boyfriend and I have seen one recently, and so we've been continueously watching the History Channel on UFO's. 

I have a feeling there could be a possiblity this guy was abducted as a kid, that's why no one has come forward to claim him??  And that's probably why this thumb prints are not recognized by the Federals? 

January 8, 2009, 12:41 am CST

trying to help

Let the FBi check all bank activity that has stopped around the time they found him. if he worked his socil security has also stopped. If there is a furneral home in the are,a maybe he lost a love one and just lost it. the best is to show his picture to kids in the area, they know eveybody. collection agency must be looking for him. but try kids in the area first.      God Bless him and Good Luck

First | Prev | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | Next | Last