Message Boards

Topic : 12/31 "Who Am I?"

Number of Replies: 288
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 10, 2008, 02:53:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/16/08) Imagine waking up one day and having no recollection of anything or anyone. What would you do? Four years ago, that was the fate of a man who now calls himself Benjaman: Found beaten, naked and unconscious behind a Burger King in Georgia, Benjaman didn't even recognize himself in the mirror. Although he can't recall his past, what does Benjaman say he knows to be true about his life? Katherine, a nurse working at a health facility, took him in and is working tirelessly to help him discover his true identity. Dr. Phil put private investigator Harold Copus on the case. Did he determine Benjaman's true identity? Is Benjaman suffering from a severe case of amnesia? Dr. Barbara Knowlton, professor of psychology at UCLA and Dr. Frank Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil advisory board, shed light on this condition. Then, meet Holly, who not only suffers from amnesia, but is also fighting another condition that has dramatically hindered her life. Find out how she has been able to move forward. Will the advice she offers Benjaman inspire him to keep putting one foot in front of the other? Tune in to see if you recognize Benjaman.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you think you know this man?  E-mail the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 8, 2009, 3:23 am CST

Is this him?

Quote From: dreamvision

Benjaman Kyle was found in Richmond Hill, GA. 
Is this the same man who was on Dr. Phil?

January 8, 2009, 11:15 am CST

Spike Keathley

If I can't get this out of my head, I believe I'll go crazy. My wife will probably divorce me. I had to take off work today for "personal reasons". If someone doesn't help me, I think I'll end up worse than Benjaman.

I'm obsessed with the time regressed picture and how I may be the only one that recognizes him. It's very difficult to concentrate at work. I've thought about going to Georgia to see if I can convince myself that Benjaman is not Spike. I've upset Spike's brother (in about 2 minutes flat). I've tried to call one of his sister's husband (because I didn't want to upset his sister). Their Mother only died 4 months ago. Some crazy guy claiming their dead brother may still be alive is the last thing most people would want to hear.

Will someone PLEASE tell me they knew Spike!

January 9, 2009, 4:35 am CST

wow

Quote From: poorestchump

If I can't get this out of my head, I believe I'll go crazy. My wife will probably divorce me. I had to take off work today for "personal reasons". If someone doesn't help me, I think I'll end up worse than Benjaman.

I'm obsessed with the time regressed picture and how I may be the only one that recognizes him. It's very difficult to concentrate at work. I've thought about going to Georgia to see if I can convince myself that Benjaman is not Spike. I've upset Spike's brother (in about 2 minutes flat). I've tried to call one of his sister's husband (because I didn't want to upset his sister). Their Mother only died 4 months ago. Some crazy guy claiming their dead brother may still be alive is the last thing most people would want to hear.

I am quite  interested in your story of meeting Spike all those years ago, there seems to be to many "coicedences" to not purse this.  I beleive you are doing the right thing but this topic maybe to sensitive for the family right now.  Have you contacted webslueths?  I know they have a page devoted to Benjaman asking for information pertaning to his identity.  There was that private investigater on the show looking for him I wonder if there is anyway to get in touch with him?

Good Luck!!

January 9, 2009, 4:53 am CST

12/31 "Who Am I?"

Did you leave the message for the FBI at a general extension or to the specific person working on the case?  I found a page about Benjaman with the FBI info if you don't have it.  It says to report any information about Benjaman to
FBI-Savanah Georgia
Bill KirkConnel
912-232-3716

I don't know if that helps or not.  Could it be possilbe that Spike is the person you think he is but you have not found the right family?  Could there be two people with the same name?

January 9, 2009, 11:15 am CST

Spike

Quote From: pattycake44

Did you leave the message for the FBI at a general extension or to the specific person working on the case?  I found a page about Benjaman with the FBI info if you don't have it.  It says to report any information about Benjaman to
FBI-Savanah Georgia
Bill KirkConnel
912-232-3716

I don't know if that helps or not.  Could it be possilbe that Spike is the person you think he is but you have not found the right family?  Could there be two people with the same name?

Yes, I left a message with Mr. KirkConnel. I also posted something on websleuths. Apparently I'm not quite up to their standards since that's what they told me in an email after I registered (twice). I thought it may be some auto-software that keeps un-registering me... then again I may sound like some kind of nut to them. They have completely ruled out the possibility of Benjaman being Spike in one of their threads. I wish I knew how they come to such definite conclusions without giving a reason why. Although I understand that dead people don't usually rise from the dead, I don't think it's a good enough reason to be so dogmatic. I know for a fact that people can die and come back without help from anyone.

My next step is to try to find out what High School he went to by looking through the yearbooks here in Pasadena. Maybe I can try some of the local colleges. I know time regressed pictures can be deceiving but if I can find a picture of Spike, at least everyone will know why I'm so persistent.

And no, it's not possible that I'm looking at the wrong family... if you could have seen the look on his brother's face when I showed him the picture and the way he described him (traveling around playing his guitar) I'm sure you or anyone else would have no doubt that this is the same William Albert "Spike" Keathley.

Thanks for your interest. Writing things out seems to help keep me sane.

January 9, 2009, 3:35 pm CST

12/31 "Who Am I?"

Yes, I left a message with Mr. KirkConnel. I also posted something on websleuths. Apparently I'm not quite up to their standards since that's what they told me in an email after I registered (twice). I thought it may be some auto-software that keeps un-registering me... then again I may sound like some kind of nut to them. They have completely ruled out the possibility of Benjaman being Spike in one of their threads. I wish I knew how they come to such definite conclusions without giving a reason why. Although I understand that dead people don't usually rise from the dead, I don't think it's a good enough reason to be so dogmatic. I know for a fact that people can die and come back without help from anyone.

My next step is to try to find out what High School he went to by looking through the yearbooks here in Pasadena. Maybe I can try some of the local colleges. I know time regressed pictures can be deceiving but if I can find a picture of Spike, at least everyone will know why I'm so persistent.

And no, it's not possible that I'm looking at the wrong family... if you could have seen the look on his brother's face when I showed him the picture and the way he described him (traveling around playing his guitar) I'm sure you or anyone else would have no doubt that this is the same William Albert "Spike" Keathley.

Thanks for your interest. Writing things out seems to help keep me sane.

I read your past messages but forget if you still live where you think this man may have lived. I thought the same thing about local libraries/schools keeping records of year books and you can find some pictures of him? Some people may think it is crazy but I over the years have heard stories on the news of people faking deaths so it is not impossible that this man you knew may not be dead. But in this case how did Spike supposedly die and wouldn't his family have known if his body was in a casket or not? Also does he have any pictures online related to his music and travels?

It is crazy but if it is not the man you knew then for people to not cliam him then maybe all his family has passed away and distant relatives may not even recognize or remember him. It is strange he has no wife, kids, or even an ex-partner who can recognize him.

Makes me wonder did the place he was found have any cameras of when he was dumped there or if he was already there and beaten at that site? I hope Dr. Phil will update this because fromt he original date of October it has been long enough for an update or to ask for more help.

I would just wait for Dr. Phil show to contact you back and also I think missing websites have picked up his story so try contacting them or even writing on their message boards.

January 9, 2009, 3:43 pm CST

12/31 "Who Am I?"

Quote From: mystyrayne

That his amnesia altered his personality, demeanor AND accent as well?    Amnesia just doesn't affect memory, it affects plenty other areas of the brain.   Ok, well, maybe not just amnesia, but has this man had brain scans to see which part of the brain are damaged? (f that's possible).   I read a woman was working with him to try to figure out what part of the country he came from.   His accent may have totally changed, and maybe that's why he thinks he's from Indiana.   

And what about figerprints and footprints.   Dont' they take footprints when your born?   If he thinks he was born in Indiana , then try hospitals there to see if the footprints match up. 

I would not put this past our government to do something like this.   That's pretty sad isn't it?   :-(
I think on Dr. Phil it said the good news for Benjaman was that he did not have any physical damage to his brain that it was in fact just amnesia or some memory disorder. Also they took his fingerprints and put it into the system and nothing came up, which means he was never a criminal or I guess in a profession that required fingerprints to be checked. But back to the brain it makes me thing that Dr. Phil himself and the Dr. on his show felt it was a painful memory for him which was being blocked. If he was to face this memory then maybe other information would come back. So why didn't Dr. Phil's show discuss or use the many resources I am sure are available to Dr. Phil like others have said like hypnosis? To me it seems this show was put together in a hurry to get the story out or they thought it would be a hit. I have not even seen his story mentioned on CNN or MSNBC-no one picked it up. And I watch Dr. Phil 2 or 3 times a week but missed this one I guess in October so just saw the replay in December. First time I heard of his story at all and I watch the news and read news regularly. Sad

January 10, 2009, 10:17 am CST

William Albert Keathley

Quote From: najlah17

I read your past messages but forget if you still live where you think this man may have lived. I thought the same thing about local libraries/schools keeping records of year books and you can find some pictures of him? Some people may think it is crazy but I over the years have heard stories on the news of people faking deaths so it is not impossible that this man you knew may not be dead. But in this case how did Spike supposedly die and wouldn't his family have known if his body was in a casket or not? Also does he have any pictures online related to his music and travels?

It is crazy but if it is not the man you knew then for people to not cliam him then maybe all his family has passed away and distant relatives may not even recognize or remember him. It is strange he has no wife, kids, or even an ex-partner who can recognize him.

Makes me wonder did the place he was found have any cameras of when he was dumped there or if he was already there and beaten at that site? I hope Dr. Phil will update this because fromt he original date of October it has been long enough for an update or to ask for more help.

I would just wait for Dr. Phil show to contact you back and also I think missing websites have picked up his story so try contacting them or even writing on their message boards.

Research of the obituary for William Albert Keathley's mother indicates that in 1962 the family moved to Texas.  From there they were in Pasadena, Mexia, TX, and she died in an assistant living home in Corsicana, TX.  His mother was Lutheran (similar to Catholic), but later went to a First Baptist Church.

Below is also a link to provide information pertaining to when a person is considered dead legally even if they may still be alive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_in_absentia

January 10, 2009, 2:17 pm CST

DNA CHECK DONE??

A suggestion for Dr. Phil and/or staff regarding Benjaman:  Law Enforcement should be able to do DNA analysis and cross reference his sample in available DNA databases nationwide.  I understand fingerprint results indicated Benjaman has never been arrested.  However, it is possible for someone to be in the criminal legal system and NOT have had their fingerprints taken (this is referred to as having "been booked") if they were cooperative and the Judge didn't order it.  This often happens in the case of (for example) a mental health subject who is taken to a hospital for evaluation and later appears in Court for prosecution.  The booking process is bypassed.  However, once sentenced, in Illinois (since at least 2003) anyone who has been convicted of a felony is required to be DNA indexed, and the DNA sample/results are kept on file with the Illinois State Police.  Before you rule this out in the case of Benjaman because you think he is not the criminal type, this law also applies to DUI offenders and individuals who have been arrested for felony Driving While License Revoked charges....so even felony traffic offenders have their DNA on file.  I am unfamiliar with other states and other DNA registry systems, but because this is such a conclusive identity test, it may be worth a shot.

Either way, this viewer would like to see an update on this website or on the Dr. Phil show to see how Benjaman is doing.  Thank you for considering this.

January 10, 2009, 3:49 pm CST

Families Burying People Later Found Alive

Quote From: najlah17

It isn't unheard of that a family thinks they buried someone only years later to find out they really didn't bury the person they thought.  Check out this case in the attached link:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news-old/top-stories/2008/09/05/dead-dad-found-alive-five-years-after-being-cremated-115875-20724211/

This is a case of a man who may have had amnesia.  The family thought his body was found, they cremated him (or so they thought), and later saw him on tv.  A DNA test proved the living man was the father of the man that recognized him on tv.

So Benjaman could possibly be considered dead, or even buried by his family and they wouldn't know to look for him.  That's why all leads must be followed no matter how far fetched they might seem.

First | Prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | Next | Last