Message Boards

Topic : 12/31 "Who Am I?"

Number of Replies: 288
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 10, 2008, 02:53:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/16/08) Imagine waking up one day and having no recollection of anything or anyone. What would you do? Four years ago, that was the fate of a man who now calls himself Benjaman: Found beaten, naked and unconscious behind a Burger King in Georgia, Benjaman didn't even recognize himself in the mirror. Although he can't recall his past, what does Benjaman say he knows to be true about his life? Katherine, a nurse working at a health facility, took him in and is working tirelessly to help him discover his true identity. Dr. Phil put private investigator Harold Copus on the case. Did he determine Benjaman's true identity? Is Benjaman suffering from a severe case of amnesia? Dr. Barbara Knowlton, professor of psychology at UCLA and Dr. Frank Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil advisory board, shed light on this condition. Then, meet Holly, who not only suffers from amnesia, but is also fighting another condition that has dramatically hindered her life. Find out how she has been able to move forward. Will the advice she offers Benjaman inspire him to keep putting one foot in front of the other? Tune in to see if you recognize Benjaman.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you think you know this man?  E-mail the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 10, 2009, 3:53 pm CST

DNA, etc.

Quote From: amoehring

A suggestion for Dr. Phil and/or staff regarding Benjaman:  Law Enforcement should be able to do DNA analysis and cross reference his sample in available DNA databases nationwide.  I understand fingerprint results indicated Benjaman has never been arrested.  However, it is possible for someone to be in the criminal legal system and NOT have had their fingerprints taken (this is referred to as having "been booked") if they were cooperative and the Judge didn't order it.  This often happens in the case of (for example) a mental health subject who is taken to a hospital for evaluation and later appears in Court for prosecution.  The booking process is bypassed.  However, once sentenced, in Illinois (since at least 2003) anyone who has been convicted of a felony is required to be DNA indexed, and the DNA sample/results are kept on file with the Illinois State Police.  Before you rule this out in the case of Benjaman because you think he is not the criminal type, this law also applies to DUI offenders and individuals who have been arrested for felony Driving While License Revoked charges....so even felony traffic offenders have their DNA on file.  I am unfamiliar with other states and other DNA registry systems, but because this is such a conclusive identity test, it may be worth a shot.

Either way, this viewer would like to see an update on this website or on the Dr. Phil show to see how Benjaman is doing.  Thank you for considering this.

Ruling out that Benjaman wasn't a criminal or wanted for any crime makes sense to establish that there's no way he was faking his amnesia.  Now that is done, the focus needs to be on finding the criminals that beat him and left him for almost dead.  Determining that can provide more leads to get him back to his family.

January 11, 2009, 10:48 am CST

DNA done...

Quote From: amoehring

A suggestion for Dr. Phil and/or staff regarding Benjaman:  Law Enforcement should be able to do DNA analysis and cross reference his sample in available DNA databases nationwide.  I understand fingerprint results indicated Benjaman has never been arrested.  However, it is possible for someone to be in the criminal legal system and NOT have had their fingerprints taken (this is referred to as having "been booked") if they were cooperative and the Judge didn't order it.  This often happens in the case of (for example) a mental health subject who is taken to a hospital for evaluation and later appears in Court for prosecution.  The booking process is bypassed.  However, once sentenced, in Illinois (since at least 2003) anyone who has been convicted of a felony is required to be DNA indexed, and the DNA sample/results are kept on file with the Illinois State Police.  Before you rule this out in the case of Benjaman because you think he is not the criminal type, this law also applies to DUI offenders and individuals who have been arrested for felony Driving While License Revoked charges....so even felony traffic offenders have their DNA on file.  I am unfamiliar with other states and other DNA registry systems, but because this is such a conclusive identity test, it may be worth a shot.

Either way, this viewer would like to see an update on this website or on the Dr. Phil show to see how Benjaman is doing.  Thank you for considering this.

Mr. Kyle's DNA is in the appropriate databases for comparison purposes as of early 2008.

January 11, 2009, 10:53 am CST

Have you considered People Search on City Data?

Quote From: poorestchump

If I can't get this out of my head, I believe I'll go crazy. My wife will probably divorce me. I had to take off work today for "personal reasons". If someone doesn't help me, I think I'll end up worse than Benjaman.

I'm obsessed with the time regressed picture and how I may be the only one that recognizes him. It's very difficult to concentrate at work. I've thought about going to Georgia to see if I can convince myself that Benjaman is not Spike. I've upset Spike's brother (in about 2 minutes flat). I've tried to call one of his sister's husband (because I didn't want to upset his sister). Their Mother only died 4 months ago. Some crazy guy claiming their dead brother may still be alive is the last thing most people would want to hear.

Will someone PLEASE tell me they knew Spike!

Check out CityData.com, People Search.  You can join and post looking for anyone who might have know Spike Keathley, other than yourself of course.  See if you can get someone to send you a photo that you can post or send along to the show here or the FBI.  It might go a long way towards compelling people to take you seriously.

Good Luck, man...

January 13, 2009, 12:34 pm CST

Adoption Research

Maybe the same techniques used in adoption research could be applied to Benjamin.  I do believe he could have some PTSD that caused him to wipe out his memory.  Maybe there was something about to happen in his life and he could not face it.  It is entirely possible for a person lose orientation to place, person and time.  Maybe he should be examined for early-onset dementia.  I hope his family finds him and he gets healing.  The nurse who is helping him is very keen in her observations.   Maybe somebody from his high school would recognize him.  Also, can doctors determine if he is of Irish, Jewish, or German descent?  That would help in looking for a family.

January 14, 2009, 5:43 am CST

Spike

Quote From: poorestchump

Yes, I left a message with Mr. KirkConnel. I also posted something on websleuths. Apparently I'm not quite up to their standards since that's what they told me in an email after I registered (twice). I thought it may be some auto-software that keeps un-registering me... then again I may sound like some kind of nut to them. They have completely ruled out the possibility of Benjaman being Spike in one of their threads. I wish I knew how they come to such definite conclusions without giving a reason why. Although I understand that dead people don't usually rise from the dead, I don't think it's a good enough reason to be so dogmatic. I know for a fact that people can die and come back without help from anyone.

My next step is to try to find out what High School he went to by looking through the yearbooks here in Pasadena. Maybe I can try some of the local colleges. I know time regressed pictures can be deceiving but if I can find a picture of Spike, at least everyone will know why I'm so persistent.

And no, it's not possible that I'm looking at the wrong family... if you could have seen the look on his brother's face when I showed him the picture and the way he described him (traveling around playing his guitar) I'm sure you or anyone else would have no doubt that this is the same William Albert "Spike" Keathley.

Thanks for your interest. Writing things out seems to help keep me sane.

I was able to find out which High School Spike went to. 2 of his sisters were in the yearbooks but not Spike. That would be just like him to avoid having his picture taken. I was also able to find an archive from the Houston Press that must be filed away because the actual article didn't come up on the screen. I guess I could call and see if I can get the TX DPS to take me seriously and send me a picture but I doubt that will work since I can't go over there in person because my wife would divorce me. But at this point, I'm not so sure that would be such a bad thing. I'm extremely sad about this whole deal. I wish I'd never seen that episode.

January 14, 2009, 9:25 pm CST

Try Kinesiology - LEAP/Crossinolgy

Benjaman, I have just watched your show on Thurs 15/1/09 in Australia. I want to let you know about LEAP Kinesiology that helps with Brain Integration. In Dr Phil's show they said that your amnesia may be caused due to too much stress related to an incident in your past. Kinesiology, a type of therapy that uses the Chinese meridian/accupuncture energy system and muscle testing to reduce stress in the body. Dr Charles Krebs (Scientist) and Susan McCrossin developed a form of kinesiology that helps with brain function. It is known as Learning Enhancement and Advanced Program. Remarkable results are achieved through this system. Dyslexic's loose their condition, ADD children stop their symptoms. The work that Dr Krebs teaches allows the LEAP kinesiologist to find the stress in the system and release it so that people find relief in situations that they wouldn't normally be able to function. It is an incredible system.

I thought that if you can find someone who does LEAP Kinesiology it might help you to recover aspects of your memory as this is something that a highly trained kinesiologist can work on.

Lots of luck with your journey finding yourself.

Margot Dines

January 15, 2009, 11:30 am CST

12/31 "Who Am I?"

Quote From: tika2008

Is this the same man who was on Dr. Phil?

Yes, Benjaman Kyle is the same man on Dr Phil.  He created his own name. 

Benjaman because that feels familiar to him and Kyle, just because.. 

January 15, 2009, 7:49 pm CST

Name similarities

I am not familiar with the Spike Keathley musician/songwriter.  It does seem noteable that Benjamin has adopted the name "Kyle" as surname, and the name Keathley contains all those letters.  I am age 52, and many times use the alphabet as a "memory tag" to help me remember important things.  That may have been a method used in our elementary school days that I continue to use to this day.  I hope ya'll find the family for this man, and in doing so can solve many more lost person cases.

January 16, 2009, 5:27 am CST

Spike

Quote From: canepole

I am not familiar with the Spike Keathley musician/songwriter.  It does seem noteable that Benjamin has adopted the name "Kyle" as surname, and the name Keathley contains all those letters.  I am age 52, and many times use the alphabet as a "memory tag" to help me remember important things.  That may have been a method used in our elementary school days that I continue to use to this day.  I hope ya'll find the family for this man, and in doing so can solve many more lost person cases.

Good point. I didn't even see that Kyle contains all the letters... duh!

Doesn't anyone know Spike? Send a picture! Please, this guy should have made the big time. He was that good.

January 16, 2009, 10:12 pm CST

12/31 "Who Am I?"

Quote From: jkeywest

Since I saw first this show a few days ago, I have been all over the Internet and can not stop thinking about  this man.  So many professional people have worked on this, including the FBI. What happened to the Policeman that showed up at the scene & labeled him as a "BUM", "NO incident",closed case?  Anyone have a copy of the report that was filed?  Can't be random robbery, no robber would take the time to remove all clothing,you think? So location of where this name was found, is not the crime scene.  Seems he was dropped off, the person(s) wanted him to be found...as a John Doe?  No rental car reported stolen/not returned(?), abandoned car in area(?).  IF he walked out of somewhere to get help, a naked man would of been noticed, so apartment/condo is out, he could of knocked on doors close by.  Any tucked away houses close by? Did he have shoes on, if not what were the condition of his feet? Who was working at the Burger King that night?  Is it a known bad place?  With todays technology,this is mind boggling.

Benjaman Kyle was found naked, semi conscious, covered in fire ant bites, had 3 depressions on the right side of his head from being hit, was blind from cataracts, sweating profusely,  behind the dumpster at Burger King.

It was about 6:00a.m. when he was found by a cleaning person.  The police officers responding were rookies, I think.

I don't think a  report  was done.  The Richmond Hill, Ga police dept. just recently had an incident report.  No investigation was done.  The dumpster was not searched.

After Mr Kyle was well and his eyesight restored by donated funds, he has said he searched for cars abandoned.  He talked to the people at Burger King, local hotels and restaurants..

I agree, who would strip someone naked and dump them after attacking them.

Part of the mystery.

First | Prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | Next | Last