Message Boards

Topic : 12/31 "Who Am I?"

Number of Replies: 288
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 10, 2008, 02:53:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/16/08) Imagine waking up one day and having no recollection of anything or anyone. What would you do? Four years ago, that was the fate of a man who now calls himself Benjaman: Found beaten, naked and unconscious behind a Burger King in Georgia, Benjaman didn't even recognize himself in the mirror. Although he can't recall his past, what does Benjaman say he knows to be true about his life? Katherine, a nurse working at a health facility, took him in and is working tirelessly to help him discover his true identity. Dr. Phil put private investigator Harold Copus on the case. Did he determine Benjaman's true identity? Is Benjaman suffering from a severe case of amnesia? Dr. Barbara Knowlton, professor of psychology at UCLA and Dr. Frank Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil advisory board, shed light on this condition. Then, meet Holly, who not only suffers from amnesia, but is also fighting another condition that has dramatically hindered her life. Find out how she has been able to move forward. Will the advice she offers Benjaman inspire him to keep putting one foot in front of the other? Tune in to see if you recognize Benjaman.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you think you know this man?  E-mail the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 16, 2008, 2:47 pm CDT

A thought from Indy

Why can't a letter to the Indianapolis area catholic high schools be sent with the information about Benjamin along with a photo? Each high school has "feeder" catholic grade schools. You could reach every catholic grade school by going through the high schools. Even if he did not attend a catholic highschool, someone might recognize him from when they were in grade school. The high schools have updated lists of grads for reunions and fund raising. The high schools have a class rep for each class. You could make sure to contact the rep for the class of 1976.

October 16, 2008, 2:48 pm CDT

check for abuse

I am a  catholic. I hate to say it but it might be wise to check in areas were there was sexual abuse by a priest. This could be the type of events he is blocking

October 16, 2008, 2:54 pm CDT

Mr. Benjaman

If I heard correct he said he was born 10 yrs before MichaelJackson.  If I also heard correctly Michael Jackson was born in1958 which would make a birth year of 1948.  It is very possiablethat if he was born in 1948......it would make him 60 thisyear......that his parents might not be alive any longer.  I wouldnot be looking at only  baptism certificates but birthcertificates as well.  If he has some memory of a date get all thebirths in Indiana for that date, set aside the girls unless it was amultiaple birth and look at what is left.  Do some looking to seeif any of them show up on any search engine or death record list. Why not match all these names against SS records (unless that is aviolation of privacy).  I also would check fingerprints for themilitary.  If he is 60 he probably was iinvolved n the draftsomehow.  There should be some sort of  fingerprintssomeplace.  If he was really born in 1948 he would have graduatedhigh school in 1966.
I would also suggest taking him back to  Indiana and wander withhim around some of the neighborhoods to see if anything seemsfamilar.  Why not Denver too.  Many things might have changedin Denver but if he talks to some of the locals that are close to hisage (60)  he just might have some memory that they could verifyand that might help also.
I hope Mr. Benjaman finds his old life and family and it is not too distrubing for him.

October 16, 2008, 3:00 pm CDT

10/16 "Who Am I?"

Quote From: euctre01

I don't believe I ever heard anyone mention if Mr. 'Benjamin' had been placed under hypnosis to see if he could recollect his past.  It seems that if they have done so, they would have mentioned it.  Also, I didn't hear them mention if they have checked his DNA profile to see if he or a close relative is in the system, and did they check dental records?  It drives me crazy when they do a show like this and don't mention if they have covered the obvious....

I agree, they did not mention any of that, so I'm sure they didnt do it . And I hope to see an update on this one, or are we not going to find out anything like alot of the other shows? Someone on here said something about the military too, another good idea.

October 16, 2008, 3:16 pm CDT

Kohout a possibility?

Quote From: jpolz44

Amazing resemblance

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200300092S

I looked up Raymond Wayne Kohout's photo and tried to age it in my mind and there is definitely a resemblance.  I notice that Mr. Kohout is only 5 feet 4 inches.  I only saw the last of the show, does anyone recall the height of Benjamin?  Will be so interesting to know if Benjamin's identity is discovered.  I will certainly be following the aftermath of this show.

October 16, 2008, 3:16 pm CDT

Thought I knew him

When I saw the pictures, I thought he might be Charles Riggs.  Charles was born in the Boston area and lived in Texas and Florida.  I think he would be in his mid to late sixties now. He was a Vietnam veteran and received a disabling injury to one foot while flying a helico[pter there.  I have not seen Charles, who was my husband's cousin, for many years but the last I heard of him was when he piloted a cargo plane he was flying to a safe crash landing on a city street somewhere in Florida. Just thought I'd mention it, in case you haven't checked the armed forces records with his fingerprints.

October 16, 2008, 3:26 pm CDT

Paul Weikel

My friend says she thinks his name is Paul Weikel.  She just gets a feeling.  Also, he looks younger than 60 and he could be from Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, or Oklahoma.  That doesn't narrow it much, I know.  Maybe someone can look up Paul Weikel.  Good luck to him.

October 16, 2008, 3:59 pm CDT

Benjamin from Indianapolis?

I am an Indianapolis resident.  I called a girl friend this evening who had told me a story about someone from Indianapolis who had something like this happen to him.  I could not recall the details of the story, so I called and asked her.  That particular person had been found. 

My friend is Benjamin's age and I am a year younger.  Benjamin made some statements about the Indiana State Fair which seemed to me to be accurate - something he remembered eating there.  I do not remember what it was; however, at the time of the airing, I remember thinking I had eaten that same thing during visits to the Indiana State Fair. 

Best of luck Benjamin in finding out your identity.  I have printed off your picture and will show it to my friend.  She has known many people in this age group - some of them from Catholic Schools.  Additionally, we went to a very large high school in the area.

Best of luck.

October 16, 2008, 4:51 pm CDT

10/16 "Who Am I?"

He looks like David Rockey!!!!! The nose is the same.

October 16, 2008, 4:54 pm CDT

Benjiman

It sounds to me like he's from Pennsylvania.... also, don't most people get fingerprinted when they get a driver's lisence?? Seems HIS could be run in each state!! Good Luck!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last