Message Boards

Topic : 12/31 "Who Am I?"

Number of Replies: 288
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 10, 2008, 02:53:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/16/08) Imagine waking up one day and having no recollection of anything or anyone. What would you do? Four years ago, that was the fate of a man who now calls himself Benjaman: Found beaten, naked and unconscious behind a Burger King in Georgia, Benjaman didn't even recognize himself in the mirror. Although he can't recall his past, what does Benjaman say he knows to be true about his life? Katherine, a nurse working at a health facility, took him in and is working tirelessly to help him discover his true identity. Dr. Phil put private investigator Harold Copus on the case. Did he determine Benjaman's true identity? Is Benjaman suffering from a severe case of amnesia? Dr. Barbara Knowlton, professor of psychology at UCLA and Dr. Frank Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil advisory board, shed light on this condition. Then, meet Holly, who not only suffers from amnesia, but is also fighting another condition that has dramatically hindered her life. Find out how she has been able to move forward. Will the advice she offers Benjaman inspire him to keep putting one foot in front of the other? Tune in to see if you recognize Benjaman.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you think you know this man?  E-mail the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 16, 2008, 4:57 pm CDT

not the best

Quote From: southernbell77

that
Sylvia Brown
lol
Sylvia brown is NOT the one for this.. I actually had a private session with her.. and she was CLUELESS!!

October 16, 2008, 5:03 pm CDT

Armed Services

Quote From: kittty56

I agree, they did not mention any of that, so I'm sure they didnt do it . And I hope to see an update on this one, or are we not going to find out anything like alot of the other shows? Someone on here said something about the military too, another good idea.

I agree with the premise that he could be a Vietnam Veteran suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.  That doesn't explain his being found beaten and naked but could add to whatever caused the amnesia.  I believe him.  I don't think for a minute that he is a fake.

October 16, 2008, 5:07 pm CDT

David Rockey

This man looks very similar to a missing man from Bartlesville Oklahoma.  The missing mans name is David Rockey and has been missing since 2002.

WOW!! He really does look like this guy.....even the nose and the hair!!!

October 16, 2008, 5:09 pm CDT

additional contact information

Quote From: donnaholt

I TRIED TO CALL THE NUMBER GIVEN...BUT THE MAILBOX IS FULL...IS THERE ANOTHER NUMBER OR WAY TO CONTACT SOMEONE ABOUT THIS GUY?
Please consider contacting Agent Bill Kirkconnell of the Savannah FBI at 912-232-3716 or you can find additional information about BK's case at this link: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=147

This group has spent the last 18 months vetting leads etc associated with Benjaman's case....there are a number of moderators that can take the information and pass it along to the FBI as well.

October 16, 2008, 5:09 pm CDT

Re: Benjaman

First of all, my heart truly goes out to Benjaman.   God bless him!!!!   I can't even begin to imagine what it's been like for him. 

And God bless Dr. Phil and all the people who are now trying to help Benjaman find out who he is.

Dr. Phil, there will be a special place for you in heaven for all the good work you do.!!!!!!!

And I hope that there will be a special place in Hell for the person who beat the hell out of Benjaman and took away his memory!!!

Please keep us updated.

October 16, 2008, 5:10 pm CDT

Moving On

Quote From: pdaddy

How disturbing to think you could lose everything by losing your memory. I'm doubtful that anyone could move forward in life after havng that happen. The report of the show claims this 'holly' moved forward after having amnesia. I'd like to see how they prove that. No way anyone could move forward after suffering a terrible brain loss like amnesia.

>> I'm doubtful that anyone could move forward in life after havng that happen.

Of course [we can move forward], human beings are the most adaptable mammals on earth! We move forward when loved one's die . . . when we suffer accidents and injuries [Christopther Reeve comes to mind -- he moved forward after a terrible accident] . . . Harry and Wills, although changed, moved forward after the death of their beloved mother. 

We either move forward or we pass on . . . or fall into drugs . . . or alcohol. Thank God, there are people like Holly and Benjaman -- doing the best they can with what has been dealt. Yes, they can, are and will move forward. Changed, sure . . . Nevertheless, they can have full lives.

I once had amnesia for about ten minutes .  .  . after a reaction to anesthesia. It is confusing, frightening and frustrating. And I feel for Benjaman and Holly and others -- it is difficult because you "really want" to remember and just cannot. Nevertheless, you do not remember.

You do remember things such as . . . you're an adult . . . you are potty trained . . . you can read . . . you can write  . . . your gender. I recalled all the pertinent information during my short bout of amnesia. In fact, I went through everything I knew to try and find out my name . . . which left me . . . and my mother's face, which I couldn't place . . . then her name (I remember thinking "Everyone has a mother. . . ") . . . and it just wouldn't come to me!

The minute my mother walked in the room . . . and I saw her face, though; all my memory came flooding back, thank God!

October 16, 2008, 5:16 pm CDT

who is he?

I felt sorry for both Benjamin and the lady on the show for having to explain to others they couldn't remember their pasts. Makes me think about how insensitive people are to differences. I would like to hear more about how the lady copes with not knowing her past.

October 16, 2008, 5:26 pm CDT

Dear "Benjamin Nobody" Sad to say I don't know you....Wish you the best.

Sad to say I don't know you "Benjamin Nobody" as he's called who was on today's show. I wish that I did!! I wish I could help you.  What happened to you was a terrible act of violence.  I watch Dr. Phil almost daily and do believe that you have taken one of the best steps possible in getting your story told so that maybe you'll find the missing pieces in your life.  I do agree that somehow, someway, someone out there will recognize you and can help. 
OH, and I hope that IF YOU ARE a family member to this man and may not want to have anything to do with him that you could find it somewhere deep in your heart to make the call and assist this person with his identity.   Just think about it...... what if you were the one who is trying to work and function in your life with-out knowing certain details of who you are?  How might you cope with that. 

Altho I haven't suffered amnesia I do suffer from chronic stress and Migraines and thus I have at times lost my memory functions. I do wish you "Benjamin Nobody" all the best dear Sir.

Sincerely, wairol

October 16, 2008, 5:29 pm CDT

BK?

does BK stand for Benjaman Kyle or Burger King?

October 16, 2008, 5:47 pm CDT

Hopeful thinking

Quote From: ntrotter

This man looks very similar to a missing man from Bartlesville Oklahoma.  The missing mans name is David Rockey and has been missing since 2002.

WOW!! He really does look like this guy.....even the nose and the hair!!!

I looked up David Rockey. He does not look like him. If we are hopeful enough, we could probably make him look similar to anyone. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last