Message Boards

Topic : 12/31 "Who Am I?"

Number of Replies: 288
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 10, 2008, 02:53:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/16/08) Imagine waking up one day and having no recollection of anything or anyone. What would you do? Four years ago, that was the fate of a man who now calls himself Benjaman: Found beaten, naked and unconscious behind a Burger King in Georgia, Benjaman didn't even recognize himself in the mirror. Although he can't recall his past, what does Benjaman say he knows to be true about his life? Katherine, a nurse working at a health facility, took him in and is working tirelessly to help him discover his true identity. Dr. Phil put private investigator Harold Copus on the case. Did he determine Benjaman's true identity? Is Benjaman suffering from a severe case of amnesia? Dr. Barbara Knowlton, professor of psychology at UCLA and Dr. Frank Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil advisory board, shed light on this condition. Then, meet Holly, who not only suffers from amnesia, but is also fighting another condition that has dramatically hindered her life. Find out how she has been able to move forward. Will the advice she offers Benjaman inspire him to keep putting one foot in front of the other? Tune in to see if you recognize Benjaman.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you think you know this man?  E-mail the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 16, 2008, 2:08 pm CDT

Hypnosis?

I don't believe I ever heard anyone mention if Mr. 'Benjamin' had been placed under hypnosis to see if he could recollect his past.  It seems that if they have done so, they would have mentioned it.  Also, I didn't hear them mention if they have checked his DNA profile to see if he or a close relative is in the system, and did they check dental records?  It drives me crazy when they do a show like this and don't mention if they have covered the obvious....

October 16, 2008, 2:13 pm CDT

regarding who am i

What a show! I was born in Indianapolis, and I was born in 1957. I also went to catholic schools. I have looked and looked at the pictures. I wish that they had taken the age down to 20's or less. I feel like I should call everyone in my age group and have them look on line at the pictures. It is too bad that people in Indy did not have some info ahead of time that this particular show was going to air, i.e. that the person thinks he may be from Indy.

Has Benjamin ever thought about coming to Indy and going to different neighborhoods and schools to see if anything clicks? Do grade schools have "archives" of class photos? It would seem that he would have graduated from a grade school in May of 1972. Couldn't he check the eighth grade class photos from area grade schools? Couldn't he check yearbooks of Indy high schools from the years of 1973-1976?

What about checking with missing persons in the year he feels he was found beaten. He could check in the states that the linguist said he was most likely from.

Something has to be able to be done. What about doing something with dental records?

October 16, 2008, 2:15 pm CDT

10/16 "Who Am I?"

Could this gentleman formerly be a farmer?  Does he know farming "terminology"?  Does his hands show signs of manual labor? 

I would not focus attention on his name being Benjamin nor his birthdate mirroring Michael Jackson's .. all focus should be on his face, his height, his bone structure.   Showing this gentleman as he could have looked in his teens could jog memories from his hometown classmates.  Have you thought of listing his face/story on Classmates.com?

This gentleman is important to the lives that he has touched and to God.  I will pray for him and those helping him .. and ask that everyone do the same.   Thanks!

October 16, 2008, 2:17 pm CDT

10/16 "Who Am I?"

I TRIED TO CALL THE NUMBER GIVEN...BUT THE MAILBOX IS FULL...IS THERE ANOTHER NUMBER OR WAY TO CONTACT SOMEONE ABOUT THIS GUY?

October 16, 2008, 2:21 pm CDT

Please DO IT...

Quote From: mrkvmn

What a show! I was born in Indianapolis, and I was born in 1957. I also went to catholic schools. I have looked and looked at the pictures. I wish that they had taken the age down to 20's or less. I feel like I should call everyone in my age group and have them look on line at the pictures. It is too bad that people in Indy did not have some info ahead of time that this particular show was going to air, i.e. that the person thinks he may be from Indy.

Has Benjamin ever thought about coming to Indy and going to different neighborhoods and schools to see if anything clicks? Do grade schools have "archives" of class photos? It would seem that he would have graduated from a grade school in May of 1972. Couldn't he check the eighth grade class photos from area grade schools? Couldn't he check yearbooks of Indy high schools from the years of 1973-1976?

What about checking with missing persons in the year he feels he was found beaten. He could check in the states that the linguist said he was most likely from.

Something has to be able to be done. What about doing something with dental records?
 Oh my-please sent it around to everyone including your HS and college websites!!!!   His dentals are mentioned on the Doe Network, but it is hard to tell what was pre and post injury. 

October 16, 2008, 2:24 pm CDT

benjamin

i may be crazy but i think he looks jewish. try looking into jewish communities to find his family

October 16, 2008, 2:24 pm CDT

Great thought

Quote From: terriftbr

show stated fbi checked fingerprints, but did anyone run fingerprints and or dental thru military records...colorado (he "remembers" denver) has military bases. hope he finds something soon
 you would be floored at the number of prints run against his-military data bases were checked I believe.  AFIS, CODIS have also been run.  And just a personal opinion on the psychic thing-anyone who charges for their "gift" is suspect in my book....

October 16, 2008, 2:26 pm CDT

10/16 "Who Am I?"

Quote From: dustash

Dr. Phil,

You did not tell us who to call if we did think we recognized him.

When you showed the photos of how he would look in his 40s and 30s it reminded me of Raymond Wayne Kohout.....Missing from Salmon Arm, BC Canada. HAve a look!! Google him. He is still missing.

Amazing resemblance

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200300092S

October 16, 2008, 2:27 pm CDT

who i am

This guy looks so familiar. I have worked in outside sales and 2004 and back I worked areas in Boothill of Missouri, West Kentucky, Southern Illinois, and West Tennessee. Looking at his dameanor and his eyes I just feel like I have met him and talked to him somewhere but I can't place the somewhere?  He may have lost his memory years before he was found? I just feel like I have set across a desk and talked to this man somewhere sometime. Hope someone finds out from this show who he is and I hope Dr.Phil will do a follow up show when it is found out who he is.

October 16, 2008, 2:43 pm CDT

Who am I

I feel so bad for Benjaman....I hope he gets found soon!!!!! I can not imagine to think of 4 years going by and not being looked for.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last