Message Boards

Topic : 05/27 What Do You Fear?

Number of Replies: 421
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 17, 2008, 02:50:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/21/2008) Whether it’s the fear of spiders or the fear of dying, fears and phobias can steal your peace of mind and even dominate your life. Meet Kathleen, a mother of three, who says her entire world is built around more than 30 fears that include driving, flying, being alone and taking medication. Her life has gotten so out of control that her two teenagers dropped out of school to take care of her, and her 9-year-old is absent so often, she may follow in their footsteps. Kathleen, who wants to stop being a prisoner to her anxieties, faces many of her fears just to get to Los Angeles to see Dr. Phil. What’s at the root of her paralyzing phobias, and can she take back her life for the sake of her family? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 1, 2009, 11:27 am CDT

Payoff

Quote From: bereaus

During this show Dr. Phil made the statement that the girl (with the phobias) was "getting a payoff" with her behavior.  Although after a commercial he didnt state what the pay was.  Anyone speculate what the payoff is? 
I would speculate the payoff would be about power and control.  Having people "on call" so that you don't have to be alone or do hard things (like house cleaning) attention attention attention, lot's of payoffs.  Being on national tv and receiving the kind of support you read on this board would be very intoxicating...kind of like being a rock star.

June 1, 2009, 8:49 pm CDT

Fear

I cried through the entire show with nothing but empathy for Kathleen.  I too have been there with the compulsive fears of absolutely everything; it's not something to take lightly.  I wish I could contact Kathleen and give her a huge hug because I could feel her pain. I suffered agrophobia, PTSD, panic/anxiety attacks... you name it.  I went to a GREAT therapist who didn't change all of it for me, but showed me how to do it myself.  He is my angel.  Good luck Kathleen... I'm praying for you!!!! XoXo

June 2, 2009, 12:47 am CDT

you are so not alone

while watching this show i could feel so much of the anxiety and pain... i suffer from extreme anxiety  which is affected my life so much that i'm miserable most always. i hope that Dr Phil will be of some help, i know years of therapy have barley touched mine.

June 3, 2009, 6:40 am CDT

Ocean at night,dark places, no lights!

I identified myself in a lot of aspects with your guest. I have been diagnosed with Panic Syndrome and I am supposed to take PAXIL for it but w/out a job/health insurance/ways to obtain this medication I have been somewhat living sort of "in a shell" also. Fear of not been accepted, criticized,...the lis goes on! It is a constant battle, a daily battle! But I AM NOT afraid of those places mentioned earllier in your show. The dead never comes back to cause fear, they are not a threat! The living yes, they cause threat! I would buy/live in those houses .

June 3, 2009, 6:49 am CDT

I agree with you!

Quote From: brownp

I would speculate the payoff would be about power and control.  Having people "on call" so that you don't have to be alone or do hard things (like house cleaning) attention attention attention, lot's of payoffs.  Being on national tv and receiving the kind of support you read on this board would be very intoxicating...kind of like being a rock star.
Somehow her statement contradicts herself. How can a person be so "picky" and concerned with germs and bacteria, afraid of disease and live in a house like that? Could a cleaning lady/organizer help her to improve her life? I am sure this should be the first step, eliminate the mess! Then take anxiety/panic disorder medication to control her moods....

June 3, 2009, 12:50 pm CDT

An excellent book that helped me

What I heard on the show today.....reminded me of exactly what I used to be like.  I suffered exactly like you did approximately 11 years ago and suffered that for almost 15 years until I read the book....From Panic to Power by Lucinda Bassett...it is an awesome book and I read it a couple of times and it helped me amazingly.  Please read the book a few times and believe in yourself.  I now drive alone, home alone and do a lot of things on my own....I do have anxiety from time to time, but nothing I can't deal with....it's all in learning how to talk to yourself and how to learn that your fears are not goin to control you.  Please read the book.....it is a true inspiration....I know what you are feeling and I pray for you.  You can do it....if I could you can.  Love and light to you!  Patty

June 3, 2009, 2:32 pm CDT

What do you fear?

Dr. Phil, I have two questions.  If Kathleen is afraid of most everything, how could she get tattoos on her body. Wouldn't she be afraid of germs from the needles?

June 4, 2009, 11:06 am CDT

Checking

Quote From: hiiambrooke

Hello, my name is Brooke and I'm the daughter of Kathleen who this show is about, and I just thought I'd let you know that she is afraid to take any medicines because she thinks the side effects will hurt her. Even the other day she was having a headache and took some aspirin and she thought she was going to pass out.

I was wondering how your mom is doing these days. Did she get help? I know how she feels

June 4, 2009, 4:27 pm CDT

Fears and Phobias

I odn't have many fears.. ANYMORE.. For years I struggled and suffered with fears and phobias and it seemed like a new fear or phobia would sprout up as I would confront my daily life. For years, I had no problem with escalators, then one day all of a sudden, I was frozen. I felt as though I was going to fall, I could feel the chills come up from my stomach and into my face. I just new I was going to pass out. Then all of a sudden, my heart would start pounding and palitating out of my chest. Oh my god, I am going to have a heart attack on top of passing out and no one is going to know whats wrong with me!! What if they think I just passed out and forget to do CPR, then I will be dead! Oh my god, dead! What will my mother do, my brother and sister, my nieces, and my poor husband, what will they do!! This was just one sequence of thoughts that would paralyze me in fear and it was all in my mind and all of this took place in my head in 25 seconds. After that, I was in full blown panic attack. There is help and medication for people like the woman i saw on the show last night from Oregon, you just have to want it. I really feel for her. She is keeping herself in her own hell designed by her subconcience. There is a way out of that dark tunnel.... I promise. I hope she gets tyhe help she needs. I was so much like her........ Then, now, I am a totally different person. Happy, and love the challenge of life. Good luck.... 

June 5, 2009, 7:29 am CDT

05/27 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: vasariah

Somehow her statement contradicts herself. How can a person be so "picky" and concerned with germs and bacteria, afraid of disease and live in a house like that? Could a cleaning lady/organizer help her to improve her life? I am sure this should be the first step, eliminate the mess! Then take anxiety/panic disorder medication to control her moods....
I honestly think that a lot of it does have to do with control, control she does not even realize she has. I think she is so deep into the anxiety "trance" that she has too much going on. It absolutely does not help that she is enabled by her friends and family around her who are fully and completely aware of her fears and phobias. I htink she needs help prioritizing her cleaning schedule. I have found with taking baby steps in overwhelmed situations that even having small sense of accomplishments really helped me get through the hurdles as I was fighting this. I think she just has to really want it....

First | Prev | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | Next | Last