Message Boards

Topic : 05/27 What Do You Fear?

Number of Replies: 421
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 17, 2008, 02:50:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/21/2008) Whether it’s the fear of spiders or the fear of dying, fears and phobias can steal your peace of mind and even dominate your life. Meet Kathleen, a mother of three, who says her entire world is built around more than 30 fears that include driving, flying, being alone and taking medication. Her life has gotten so out of control that her two teenagers dropped out of school to take care of her, and her 9-year-old is absent so often, she may follow in their footsteps. Kathleen, who wants to stop being a prisoner to her anxieties, faces many of her fears just to get to Los Angeles to see Dr. Phil. What’s at the root of her paralyzing phobias, and can she take back her life for the sake of her family? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 21, 2008, 1:40 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: ramair

He said he works 12 to 14 hours a day. To escape the drama. Surprized Dr Phil didn't ask him to cut his hours.
Well, we have no other source of income and it's hard enough living on just his. My mom has spoken of getting a job, but there is that problem of her getting to and from work.

October 21, 2008, 1:46 pm CDT

I have walked this walk

I have lived with excessive fears since my teen years.  I started having severe panic and anxiety attacks in my early 20's.  Part of the problem is thinking you are going crazy, going to die, or you just don't know what is going to happen, but it is going to be bad.  I finally found a good doctor and was given prescription tranquilizers to help lessen the anxiety.  I could have been a person that stayed at home and never left.  I couldn't fly, be in public, go to the grocery store and mostly function as a normal person.  For some people that have never had fears or panic, they don't understand.  My mother had experienced some of the same things I had and I had learned to rely on her.  Even though my situation is controlled at this time with mood stabilizers and tranquilizers, I struggle everyday.  It is hard to live a normal life, but I will not let fear have complete control over me.  I talk myself out of panic mode with the "what if's" of the worst case scenerio.  I have been to outpatient programs.  It is very hard to find help.  I rely on my husband in severe panic modes and having someone there is crucial to me, but I can be left alone.  It is a very hard situation to comprehend.  I feel for this woman and can completely relate to her.  Just press on and live life as best as you can.

October 21, 2008, 1:47 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: denamac

I don't think this woman has nearly as many fears as she has excuses. If she were really afraid of getting a disease or of being unhealthy and of suffering from a heart attack, she would take better care of herself!!  I think that she needs to be evaluated because she LOVES attention! These are excuses for her to not have to do anything! Did she mention a fear of cleaning? If she is home all day, what stops her from cleaning that house? She is simply making excuses to do nothing! Snap out of it and take care of your family.
Have you ever suffered panic attacks or severe anxiety.  No, I didn't think so!!!!!!!

October 21, 2008, 1:47 pm CDT

Fears

I am not a Dr. but I think the sore Kathleen showed is the Shingles.  I used to think they were something only the elderly got but I first go them around age 46.  From the reseach I have been able to do, it seems that stress can set off an attack of the shingles.  Although the last time I had them was about 3 years ago, the post herpatic neuralgia (excruciating pain) attacked me shortly after my daughter died in January and I have had it ever since.  So I would advise anyone to do whatever necessary to help alleviate stress because you certainly want to avoid getting this..

October 21, 2008, 1:48 pm CDT

Thanks for this show

This show is totally what I went through on and off for 4 yrs...last episode lasted 5 months.No one believed me and thought I was crazy.Iv`e had the numbness in the face,head ,legs,tight chest,chest pain,severe headaches,severe chills where it felt like I was frezzing to death,pain all over my body,panic attacks, and so on.Consently going to the emergency and to the Doctors.I`ve had 3 ct scans and 1 mri in 4 yrs.So many tests done because I thought every diese like cancer,tumors,anorizims was wrong with me.I thought I was going to die,never liked being alone because I didn`t want to die and have no ne there with my Child.I really thought I was going crazy.Thank you for doing this show because I now know that I wasn`t the only one going through this.I am now better but I know that someday it`ll come back and I really don`t want it too.

October 21, 2008, 1:48 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: staystrong71

Real nice, hope you never experience anything close to what she's going through.  It's pure torture.  I would rather have a "real" illness such as a broken bone because people understand that, it's something they can see and have an exact remedy to fix.  But mental illnesses are much more complicated and what works for some doesn't work for others. 
I completely agree with you.  It is pure torture!

October 21, 2008, 1:50 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: saraedmonds

I am compelled to write to you, Dr. Phil, in response to today's show dedicated to Kathleen the Phobia Monger. I am not an unfeeling woman and I have made my share of mistakes, but give me a break!! Kathleen has been suffering from phobias for over 20 years and has chosen to bring children into the world only to burden them with her Crippling Fears. The girls have been allowed to quit school in order to care for her?? Hello!! How about a social worker intervening and removing the children from a  home where there is obvious neglect and not so subtle emotional abuse??
I am not sympathetic to this woman at all. And did I see a big 'ol tattoo on her shoulder?? Where's the fear there?? I feel saddened that she should receive such attention on your show and the children are a side note. The kids need counseling to recover from living with her nonsense their entire lives.

Yet again, Alexis is doing good in school now, I am taking a class, and it wasn't her fault we stayed home anyways, you can read my other posts.

And by the way, none of her fears are rational, and she knows that, she just doesn't know how to control it.

Just like the way she can't drink anything she doesn't recognize or open herself, yet can smoke cigarettes.

We do not need any kind of counceling, we are doing fine. The attention should be on her because she is the one with the mental illness - not us. She does need help and she's trying to get better.

October 21, 2008, 1:51 pm CDT

Not buying it

I think she is faking this, apparently she can clean, she is just lazy!!!!!!! She needs to GROW UP!!!!! Sounds like her friend

October 21, 2008, 1:52 pm CDT

she's not afraid to give birth

I am amazed that this women gave birth because you can die having a baby. She did it three times!!!! Wow!! I had a c-section when I had my daughter and I was terrified because of all the paperwork I had to sign. The thing is we are all going to die there is no way of getting out of this fact. We are all going to die one day. I think it is tragic that these children have been made to be her caregivers. The children have been damaged and impacted by her behaviour or mental illness. These children are going to need a ton of help because of what their mother has done to them. As children they didn't have a choice in all this mess. I hope they will get the help they need to take care of themselves and thrive. It is sad that their dad has checked out and allowed this to happen to them.

October 21, 2008, 1:53 pm CDT

Reply to my opinion about Kathleen

Quote From: staystrong71

Real nice, hope you never experience anything close to what she's going through.  It's pure torture.  I would rather have a "real" illness such as a broken bone because people understand that, it's something they can see and have an exact remedy to fix.  But mental illnesses are much more complicated and what works for some doesn't work for others. 
I am just speaking about Kathleen and not any one else. I understand other people have these problems and I am not talking about them, just what I think about Kathleen. Plus, the children should be in school. They are just using their Mother as an excuse not to go to school.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last