Message Boards

Topic : 05/27 What Do You Fear?

Number of Replies: 421
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 17, 2008, 02:50:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/21/2008) Whether it’s the fear of spiders or the fear of dying, fears and phobias can steal your peace of mind and even dominate your life. Meet Kathleen, a mother of three, who says her entire world is built around more than 30 fears that include driving, flying, being alone and taking medication. Her life has gotten so out of control that her two teenagers dropped out of school to take care of her, and her 9-year-old is absent so often, she may follow in their footsteps. Kathleen, who wants to stop being a prisoner to her anxieties, faces many of her fears just to get to Los Angeles to see Dr. Phil. What’s at the root of her paralyzing phobias, and can she take back her life for the sake of her family? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 21, 2008, 1:53 pm CDT

I dont buy it

This is silly apparently she can clean, sounds like shes just lazzzzzy... she needs to grow up. Sounds like her friend isnt buying it either. HINT HINT

October 21, 2008, 1:54 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: ccleiland

I am not a Dr. but I think the sore Kathleen showed is the Shingles.  I used to think they were something only the elderly got but I first go them around age 46.  From the reseach I have been able to do, it seems that stress can set off an attack of the shingles.  Although the last time I had them was about 3 years ago, the post herpatic neuralgia (excruciating pain) attacked me shortly after my daughter died in January and I have had it ever since.  So I would advise anyone to do whatever necessary to help alleviate stress because you certainly want to avoid getting this..

I don't remember if she ever found out what it was, but I am pretty sure it wasn't the shingles. I actually had the shingles a few years ago, and she did tell me that she had them years before that. So if it was shingles, she would know.

October 21, 2008, 1:56 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: vixx93

I think she is faking this, apparently she can clean, she is just lazy!!!!!!! She needs to GROW UP!!!!! Sounds like her friend

She's not faking anything. She does clean. She cleans a lot. It just gets messy over and over again and she can't just keep doing it.

October 21, 2008, 1:56 pm CDT

Proud of You

I too have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks....I have learned to control  them most of the time but I still have alot of anxiety driving in traffic...........I am very proud of Kathleene for taking this huge step to recovery and I believe Kathleene that you can soon lead a better life........God Bless You

October 21, 2008, 2:02 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: tamann

I am amazed that this women gave birth because you can die having a baby. She did it three times!!!! Wow!! I had a c-section when I had my daughter and I was terrified because of all the paperwork I had to sign. The thing is we are all going to die there is no way of getting out of this fact. We are all going to die one day. I think it is tragic that these children have been made to be her caregivers. The children have been damaged and impacted by her behaviour or mental illness. These children are going to need a ton of help because of what their mother has done to them. As children they didn't have a choice in all this mess. I hope they will get the help they need to take care of themselves and thrive. It is sad that their dad has checked out and allowed this to happen to them.
Like I've told a few other people we are not damaged by her. We do not need any help. I suppose my sister may have started to be a little influenced by it, but I took it the opposite way. I really have no fears at all. I'm not sure about my brother, I don't really talk to him much. But as for my sister, she is getting a lot better. I think she's beginning to realize what I realized - that her fears are irrational, and she doesn't need to fear the same thing.

October 21, 2008, 2:04 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: laetemp

I am just speaking about Kathleen and not any one else. I understand other people have these problems and I am not talking about them, just what I think about Kathleen. Plus, the children should be in school. They are just using their Mother as an excuse not to go to school.
I suppose my brother may have used her as an excuse, I am not sure, but that's not the case for me and Alexis. I stayed home because I really felt horrible when I saw her so stressed about finding somewhere to be. And I think Alexis just didn't understand what was even going on, but now I think she does and she is going to school every day.

October 21, 2008, 2:08 pm CDT

I know what she feels

To all those who think she is lazy and is using this as attention really don't know what its like to suffer from this. I myself have a panic disorder and it is the most dibilating thing anyone can have. It consumes your whole life and eventually you just give up. I was where she was a year ago and thankfully because of the support i had and continuous counselling and being on the right meds i am on the road to a better life. This is a lifetime illness though in which I have been suffering for the last 10 years of my life. I still wake up with anxiety and fear, but I push myself in spite of it. I really do hope for her sake she gets the help she needs, because her quality of life is seriously in dyer need of change. I appreciate her bravery of coming on the show and wish Kathleen the best of luck.

October 21, 2008, 2:10 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: dibbe214

Obviously, this woman Kathleen has an extreme chemical imbalance thats causing severe anxiety.   I'd be exactly like her if it wasn't for anti-anxiety med, an SSRI such as prozac.   Why would anybody just expect her to just get over it ??

The reason anyone would expect her to get over it is because they are very insensitive!   My heart goes out to her and I hope she gets the help she needs.  As for the people who are insensitive, I just hope that one day they know what it's like to experience a mental illness and that people tell them to just get over it.

October 21, 2008, 2:11 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: vixx93

I think she is faking this, apparently she can clean, she is just lazy!!!!!!! She needs to GROW UP!!!!! Sounds like her friend

You obviously do not know what she is going through cause it is very serious and dibilating I have been dealing with the same issues for the past 10 years and am still working on getting better. I think you are ignorant and should not make comments you have no knowledge or experience of knowing.

October 21, 2008, 2:12 pm CDT

Today's Show on 10-21-08

How did the show end in the final segment. Something came up, and I stepped away from the television. Also, is there a rebroadcast date for the show in Missouri anytime soon?

I'm really interested in the information regarding how the show ended.

Thanks much!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last