Message Boards

Topic : 05/27 What Do You Fear?

Number of Replies: 421
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 17, 2008, 02:50:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/21/2008) Whether it’s the fear of spiders or the fear of dying, fears and phobias can steal your peace of mind and even dominate your life. Meet Kathleen, a mother of three, who says her entire world is built around more than 30 fears that include driving, flying, being alone and taking medication. Her life has gotten so out of control that her two teenagers dropped out of school to take care of her, and her 9-year-old is absent so often, she may follow in their footsteps. Kathleen, who wants to stop being a prisoner to her anxieties, faces many of her fears just to get to Los Angeles to see Dr. Phil. What’s at the root of her paralyzing phobias, and can she take back her life for the sake of her family? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 21, 2008, 2:13 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: vixx93

I think she is faking this, apparently she can clean, she is just lazy!!!!!!! She needs to GROW UP!!!!! Sounds like her friend

Have you ever experienced a panick attack or any type of anxiety?!

October 21, 2008, 2:15 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: mandi19

This show is totally what I went through on and off for 4 yrs...last episode lasted 5 months.No one believed me and thought I was crazy.Ive had the numbness in the face,head ,legs,tight chest,chest pain,severe headaches,severe chills where it felt like I was frezzing to death,pain all over my body,panic attacks, and so on.Consently going to the emergency and to the Doctors.Ive had 3 ct scans and 1 mri in 4 yrs.So many tests done because I thought every diese like cancer,tumors,anorizims was wrong with me.I thought I was going to die,never liked being alone because I didnt want to die and have no ne there with my Child.I really thought I was going crazy.Thank you for doing this show because I now know that I wasnt the only one going through this.I am now better but I know that someday itll come back and I really dont want it too.

I do agree with you on some things. After having my first son I suffered from bad anxiety and panic attacks. I have chosen to do everything to make it better for me and my son. I dont think I would have ever let it go 20 years. I would not fear it coming back. I feel for you because I know how scary it can be. I wouldnt fear it because that is what gives it the fuel. If you do not fear it than it will not affect you the way it does. It is like telling yourself not to think of something. You will sit there and think of it.  The one thing that helped me the most was if I had an anxiety attack just to let it ride. Then go back to doing what I was doing. Of course it shakes you up but trying not to give it as much power helped. I really hope that helped someone if not I wish you the best of luck.

October 21, 2008, 2:18 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

First of all I'm curious were all the political content came from? Did I miss something that was on the show that had to do with the campaign?

Next I want to say that Kathleen is the most self-centered and selfish person I have ever seen. She is sacrificing her children's future to her need to be the center of everyone's life. What would happen to her if her husband, her doctor, and her children just told her to "get a grip"? We are all afraid of something, perhaps many things, but we do them because not doing so would harm (or even inconvenience) someone else. This woman is getting a HUGE payoff from her fear and when a bigger payoff presents itself, i.e. being on Dr. Phil, she was able to do it. It was hard, but she DID get on that plane.

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: collegemommy

You obviously do not know what she is going through cause it is very serious and dibilating I have been dealing with the same issues for the past 10 years and am still working on getting better. I think you are ignorant and should not make comments you have no knowledge or experience of knowing.
I agree you would have to go through. There is a article by Joe Barry that is really good on it. But you also HAVE to want to get out of the cycle for your kids. Cognitive therapy I think really helps.

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: changinglives

How did the show end in the final segment. Something came up, and I stepped away from the television. Also, is there a rebroadcast date for the show in Missouri anytime soon?

I'm really interested in the information regarding how the show ended.

Thanks much!

If you go to http://drphil.com/shows/show/1134/

it has a little of what happened in each segment

October 21, 2008, 2:31 pm CDT

I know how she feels

I just want her to know that she isn't the only person out there going through this..I suffer from severe depression and panic attacks it has gotten so bad I had to quit my job...and It is ruining my life, I cant do anything with my family, but I also get no support from my husband...I sit and cry just wondering if I am going to make it through that day...and do u think he cares? No not 1 bit...No one understands how bad it is until they go through it, when u tell ppl about it, they always have things for u to do but they don't understand that it isn't that easy, I do see a shrink and I am on meds but they don't help me to much and I have told him but hes says take the meds or deal with the attacks...Nice thing for a doctor to say...I cant EVEN DRIVE ANYWHERE.....I cant do anything with my family and it makes my husband mad, and he wants to get separated...He thinks that it is all am act but let me tell u something when I was able to do things I loved it so why would I act like this...Its not an act it is a true feeling, I cant go in a store without getting Gitty headed and my legs get weak and I feel like i am going to pass out, So I just avoid it...I sit at home all the time only time to go out is to the Doctors and the counselors....I also feel like I am dying and having a heart attack.....I have had everything checked by my medical doctor and everything came back fine...I know this I WANT MY LIFE BACK PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!  I feel for u I really do...No one Knows what its like but u have meet someone that does....

October 21, 2008, 2:32 pm CDT

hey everyone

I am a 30 yr old mom of three and i have been suffering from pretty much the same things,it all started 4 and a half years ago after the birth of my son,and im still trying to get by.I take meds and talk to someone but im not getting what i want out of it,which is the feeling of being normal,idk,i just keep thinking i have a brain tumor,cancer,that im dieing,it sounds sooo stupid i no but i cant stop having these thoughts,i can hardly bring my daughter to school in the mornings cuz i get a attack like dizzy,lightheaded,tunnel vision and feel like im loosing my mind.I have been to the er like a total of 8 times in 4 years and i go to my doc constantly,but i am told the same thing every time....its panic and axiety,and some ocd...i have never had a ct scan or anything i dont understand how they no this,and my doc wont give one cuz she said i dont have any signs of anything being wrong with my brain....well thanks for listening...and to ppl who say she is faking no it is sooo real

October 21, 2008, 2:33 pm CDT

Thank you for saying it first!

Quote From: ladyjessica

First of all I'm curious were all the political content came from? Did I miss something that was on the show that had to do with the campaign?

Next I want to say that Kathleen is the most self-centered and selfish person I have ever seen. She is sacrificing her children's future to her need to be the center of everyone's life. What would happen to her if her husband, her doctor, and her children just told her to "get a grip"? We are all afraid of something, perhaps many things, but we do them because not doing so would harm (or even inconvenience) someone else. This woman is getting a HUGE payoff from her fear and when a bigger payoff presents itself, i.e. being on Dr. Phil, she was able to do it. It was hard, but she DID get on that plane.

She is completely self centered! We're all afraid of things like that but come on really!!! She's just all about ME ME ME! It's pathetic! Feel sorry for her kids!

October 21, 2008, 2:36 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: hiiambrooke

Like I've told a few other people we are not damaged by her. We do not need any help. I suppose my sister may have started to be a little influenced by it, but I took it the opposite way. I really have no fears at all. I'm not sure about my brother, I don't really talk to him much. But as for my sister, she is getting a lot better. I think she's beginning to realize what I realized - that her fears are irrational, and she doesn't need to fear the same thing.
I don't think you have the awareness of how this has impacted you. You have been put in an adult position when you are not an adult. I don't know how long ago she put you in the position of being her caretaker and how long you have been out of school. There is a part of your life that you have robbed of. I am sure that living in this enviroment for so long you probably have become used to it and think this is normal. I am sad that you feel that you need to defend yourself on this message board. Good luck!

October 21, 2008, 2:37 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: ladyjessica

She is not selfish at all. The reason she went on the show, and got on that plane was because she thought it was her only chance to get help so that our entire family could be relieved from the stress of her anxiety.

By the way she tries to hide her anxiety from us, not try to make it the center of our lives. But she's our mother, and we can tell that she's afraid, and you can't tell me that you wouldn't try to help your mother if she was in a situation like that. She tries so hard to make it not apparent. Many people who know her don't even realize she has anxiety.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last