Message Boards

Topic : 05/27 What Do You Fear?

Number of Replies: 421
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 17, 2008, 02:50:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/21/2008) Whether it’s the fear of spiders or the fear of dying, fears and phobias can steal your peace of mind and even dominate your life. Meet Kathleen, a mother of three, who says her entire world is built around more than 30 fears that include driving, flying, being alone and taking medication. Her life has gotten so out of control that her two teenagers dropped out of school to take care of her, and her 9-year-old is absent so often, she may follow in their footsteps. Kathleen, who wants to stop being a prisoner to her anxieties, faces many of her fears just to get to Los Angeles to see Dr. Phil. What’s at the root of her paralyzing phobias, and can she take back her life for the sake of her family? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 18, 2008, 2:53 pm CDT

hi

i know what is like to have theses kind of fears that this lady is going thur i was doing the same thing for a long time and i finally talk to my doctor and he game me some medcineto help me sleep at night maybe she needs to also ask her doctor for help also see a shirk to help her deal with theses phoaios also talk to her doctor he may give her a relaxer to help her sleep at nite also ask a shrik to help her too.there is also one important person who can help out of them is ask god for his help ask him to take away theses evil thoughts she is having cause he is impossible he will help ya thur it all if ya are willing to ask him for help.

October 18, 2008, 3:07 pm CDT

hi

i think this lady needs to talk to her dr also see a shirk cause her dr can give her some medicine for her to sleep at night,also most of ask god to take way theses evil spirits cause w/him nothing is impossible

October 18, 2008, 3:52 pm CDT

Fear and unemployment

Phobias are for those who have time for them...those of us who are suddenly  UN-employed, and terrified ,are being  ignored. I notice I'm so stressed, my typing looks like that of a 10-year-old....... After decades,of employment in education, and a "bread-and-butter"job, too-- I'm OUT  IN THE COLD,  invisible to the politicians, and to the media.....I don't care about the problems of millionaires or starlets!A lot of us are watching Dr. Phil for solace, suggestions, a panel of psychologists  perhaps?.....Something! Add Suze Orman to the mix and maybe this terrible Panic  that has gone unrecognized  can be addressed. We're  not all homeownders- a lot of us rent.....and have always been ok with  that. Forget "business as usual" at Dr. Phil- and for the next 17 whatever days ,help us COPE!  

Blessings. B. Ellen

October 18, 2008, 4:37 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Do Fear Phil What You? What do you think Doctor Phil. I am affarid of Darkness with no light. at all.-

See you on Tuesday October 21st, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.---------------------------------------

October 18, 2008, 5:02 pm CDT

fear

I am afraid of being laid off. I have worked in the same job,although changing and more responsibility,some more moneh- i lack a college degree.  I work with a lot of clinicians, and they dont consider you very well until they want something. Other than that you are definitily known as less of a person.  Yet, it's where i've worked for nearly 25 years. With the economy and threats of loss of job upcoming in 3 weeks, major anxiety and fear.

October 18, 2008, 5:13 pm CDT

It's time to take RESPONSIBILITY for ourselves

I truly believe that no matter who becomes the next president, we are ultimately in charge of our own financial situations. For some reason we are lead to believe that if Obama becomes the next president we should look the biggest bucket we can find because money is going to be falling from the sky.  Remember, no country has ever taxed its way into prosperity. He wants to tax the so called rich people making over $250,000, well lets keep in mind, most people work for rich people, when is the last time you went to a so called poor guy to find work?  I believe a risk is that if they have to pay higher taxes, than to make ends meet, they will probably have to layoff workers...Even though I am voting for Mccain, if he becomes the next president, my financial situation is MY RESPONSIBILITY!!!

October 20, 2008, 9:18 am CDT

Fear can control you..... if you let it.

I used to hear about people being paralyzed by fear, and didn't equate it to my own fear.

My greatest fear is being put in an institution.  My grandmother was really depressed

when I was a little kid, and they put her into a state facility.  She was given shock treatments and

other ghastly tests to treat her depression.  I never saw her after we moved to NY, but my mom

went to visit and found she didn't remember anything or anyone.  My aunt, many years later,

fell to the depression link and she too ended up in a state institution.  She too, was diagnosed

with severe depression and later Alzheimer's.  They concluded my grandmother also had

Alzheimer's.  A movie that was popular in the late 50's was called Snake pit.  That movie

set the stage for my fears of going nuts and spending my last years in a nut house.

So, my greatest fear is allowing my depression to get the best of me, and my family sending me

away, and never again knowing what a home is, or who once loved me.  I am 57 and fighting

depression every single day.  I fear I will snap, and wake up not knowing who I was.....

Life crisis?  Yes.  Fear of this may take me there by the hand. 

Just thought I would share..   Happy day!!

October 20, 2008, 12:19 pm CDT

FEAR

Iam 58 years old. I have feared being alone. I think someone is hiding in my house waiting to kill me. I have always felt this way. I hate it but I can't stop the thoughts. Whenever I leave a room I run thinking someone is behind me waiting to kill me. Iam so tired of this but I have tried everything and the thoughts just keep coming.

October 20, 2008, 1:59 pm CDT

What Do You Fear

I am looking forward to the 'What Do You Fear' episode. I have watched nearly every episode since Dr. Phil first started, and this is the first episode I can TRULY identify with. I think I may be suffering from Agoraphobia, and it is only getting worse. I have difficulty doing simple tasks such as driving, or hanging out with friends. I can not eat in restaurants, so i avoid them. I couldnt even go to early vote today. It only recently became this bad. I got furloughed from my job, as an airline pilot. So now that I am looking for another one, I am trying to find one that my phobia wont interfere with. Just several weeks ago I got sick with something flu like. Ever since then my phobia has become severe, I think being sick that week may have triggered something. I really hope this show will help me learn some things I can do to handle it.

October 20, 2008, 8:50 pm CDT

Afraid of my own shadow.

I spent the whole day Monday October 20,08 9:am-4pm sitting in court for a sexual abuse indecent exposure complaint I'm shocked he walked away not guilty to both charges this is why this happens because they get away with it not only did I witness it with my own eyes but I had it on tape not good quality  but the cameras were to take pictures of some one threatening to kill some out side cats that I've been feeding for 5 or 6 years. I have been diagnosised with post-traumatic stress, chronic fatigue syndrome, advanced fibromyalgia, epstein-barr virus and reflex sympathetic dystrophy all debilitating stress related illnesses. This Family has been bullying and threatening me for years I was in such fear of my life after a confrontation in April that I had to move which has not been easy because of my health and the cats that I've been caring for. I don't know what to do I can't take them with me for so many reasons the top two are  physically and financially I can't do it any more.

I'm so exhusted I landed in the hospital several weeks ago the 1st or 2nd box I picked up and  I thought I was having a stroke so did the Dr. in the emergency room I lost the feeling on my whole left side especially my hand and arm I still can't use it which has really hindered my moving. I have lived for years in fear that makes me sick to the point I can't eat. I have been afraid to leave my house I have lived like a prisoner for years. If I make it out of here I will need to learn how to live again most days it doesn"t seem possible but I won't give up I refuse to quit. There is absolutely no help out there for older women in crisis in Massachuetts I know I've been looking for years. Every one who lives in America should be able to feel safe in his or her home I don't I haven't in years I truly am afraid of my own shadow. Not long ago in either New York or Conneticut some one died in the middle of the street and people stepped over him no one stopped to help a police officer happened to see him and stopped. That's what wrong with the world to day nobody cares.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last