Message Boards

Topic : 06/01 Killer Texting

Number of Replies: 395
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 17, 2008, 02:55:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/23/08) Do you text message while driving? It may seem harmless, but distracted drivers account for nearly four out of five crashes in the United States, and looking away for just two seconds doubles that danger. Still, nearly 50 percent of drivers between the ages of 18 and 24 continue to text behind the wheel. Twenty-one-year-old Heather boasts that her multitasking skills are so fine-tuned, she has no problem texting while navigating the road. Dr. Phil cameras capture Heather driving with her hands off the wheel for more than 60 seconds. Next, Linda discovered the harsh reality texting while driving can cause when her daughter, Lauren, was killed by a driver distracted by his cell phone. She created the Web site HangUpSaveALife.com in her daughter’s memory. Then, Francisco was a survivor of the recent L.A. Metrolink train crash that killed 25 people, and Roland rescued Francisco from the wreckage. Hear their reaction to the National Transportation Safety Board’s reports that the passenger train’s engineer sent and received 57 text messages that day, and that he sent a text just 22 seconds prior to crashing head-on with a freight train. Dr. Travis Stork of The Doctors weighs in regarding accident victims in the E.R. And, State Senator Joe Simitian wrote the bill that outlaws texting while driving in the state of California; he debates with State Assemblyman Chuck Devore, who is opposed to anti-texting laws. Where do you stand on this controversial topic? Log on to DrPhil.com to cast your vote!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 22, 2008, 2:00 pm CDT

if you are going to do stupid

Vehicles are dangerous no matter what their size is.  Where one is safe in one situation is dangerous in another.  Oh, and if you arent wearing a seatbelt, the only safety feature that helps you is not getting into an accident in the first place.  Yes, there are very rare situations where wearing a seatbelt is the cause of an injury rather than protection from.  But, if you are going to gamble, go with the odds, wear your seatbelt.  In all honesty, if you were the only person at risk with your bad driving and distractions I wouldnt care.  You are not the only person on the road and your stupidity could cause injury or death.  We all do stupid things, some more than others.  Dont force people to suffer for the choices you are making such as texting while driving, reading, putting on makeup, playing with your radio, drinking, drugging.  Using public transportation is an excellent way to reduce traffic and hence increase safety.  It may also save you money.  You may also have an interesting conversation or meet a new friend.

October 23, 2008, 12:55 am CDT

These people deserve the book thown at them

You have to have S*** for brains to text or anything that takes your mind off of the road. NOTHING & NO ONE is so IMPORTANT to risk losing a life or putting one in danger. I get so ANGRY when I see anyone doing this. I can't count the many times I have avoided these egotistical idiots. If I have to talk on the phone I pull over in a safe area.  I am absolutely amazed at the stupidity when I hear from these people that they are good drivers. Yep, and the guy texting  on that train thought he knew his job well enough that he could text. How many families did he change forever.??? These idiots need to NOT only have their phones taken away but before you lock them up, and throw away the keys, send them to a morge and let them see the dead bodies. Wake up AMERICA!!!!! This is by far one of the most DANGEROUS things that people do , thinking it's not going to happen to them, before it's too late. Not only are you putting others  in danger,  but yourself as well.

October 23, 2008, 2:35 am CDT

Texting while driving

I think it is selfish and dangerous to text while driving.  My husband and I are both soldiers.  As soldiers we face enough dangers, should worrying about being killed by someone sending text messages be added to our concerns?  We are stationed in Germany where it is not only illegal to text while driving, it is also illegal to talk on a cell phone unless it is hands free.  I personally think hands free talking may also pose a mental distraction.  Why can't people simply wait until they stop and park before texting?  Maybe it will take one of them loosing a love one in order to get the message.  I don't know, but it is my prayer that everyone would just put the cell phones down while driving.

October 23, 2008, 4:39 am CDT

texting while driving

First of all Dr. Phil thank you for talking about this subject.  To Heather I have a message on August 21st of this year my daughter and I were hit by a girl who is 21 years old.  She ran a red light doing 45 miles an hour coming off the freeway why because  she was texting.  Both my daughter and I received sever concusions, my daughter had a cracked rib, hairline fracture on her left wrist. I now have a bad right leg because of the accident that is going to require surgery.  I no longer have the car my husband bought me after his mother passed away that I loved so much.  Why all because of a 21 year old who was texting on her cell phone. You think your so great at it and driving same time and won't hurt anyone,so did the girl who hit me.

October 23, 2008, 6:54 am CDT

Thank You!

I am done!!! After this show I will never talk or text on my phone while driving again. I am ashamed that it took this show to open my eyes to such an obvious bad choice.
Thanks for the eye opener!

October 23, 2008, 7:15 am CDT

take the phone

I'm surprised that no one suggested that the mom take the phone or the car keys away .

October 23, 2008, 7:22 am CDT

Driving with her knees

That little girl needs to be made to know what it feels like for a tire to blow out on her!  Dr. Phil talks about a 5000-pound missile...how about a 5000-pound missile out of control!??  Tire blow outs can rip a steering wheel out of your hands, can she even IMAGINE what would happen if she didn't have her HANDS on that wheel??  She is a tragic accident waiting to happen.  Worst part.....she's going to kill someone else, not herself.  This is WORSE than driving while intoxicated.

October 23, 2008, 7:49 am CDT

Connecticut Laws

My state has a law against hand held cell phones and text messaging.  The police DO NOT enforce the law, in fact I have even seen them look the other way.  Just a week ago I was in a construction area, a police officer was directing traffic and an oncoming car/driver with cell phone at her ear went by him.  The officer saw the driver and no action taken.  Police officers use computers while driving, cell phones while directing traffic etc.  How can THEY do THEIR job and still pay attention to what is going.

I have called the local PD and they FLUFFED me off as some cranky woman when I asked if the law had been repealed.  I really did think that it had, as I counted 5 drivers in oncoming cars on a local street with a hand held cell phone at their ear.  Maybe the penalty isn't enough or they know that the police won't do anything so it's just another Connecticut thing (too many laws).

I do wish that the Dr. Phil show could be sent/aired or somehow influence my state to come down on the law enforcement here.  I live near a school (technical) and I see kids coming from there one after the other  texting, talking on cell phones and I know the police know what is going on, they just don't want to be bothered by a SECONDARY law or maybe they just don't think that it is important enough.

October 23, 2008, 8:04 am CDT

texting while driving is outrageous

I don't get how people can say there shouldn't be a law against it. There should be a nationwide( federal law) against cell phone use and texting while driving of any kind. For that idiot counselman to say that law enforcement would be exempt is absurd. After they peel people off poles and guard rails, or help rip people out of cars, there's no way they would even chance it. Even if it comes to work, I've ridden  with a lot of cops, both state and local, and they pull over or are already pulled over when they're typing on the computer in their criuser.The problem is that too many of the average people don't.  I've seen it time and time again, people talking or texting, and both are against the law in my state of CT. The focus should be prevention though, as that senator said. At least you could teach your kids that it's wrong and against the law, and maybe that saves lives. But seriously , isn't it worth it if it saves a couple lives, or even one. Think about it. That absolutely gorgeous 17 year old girl is dead, and like her mother said, it was purely accidental, and that the boy shows a tremendous amount of remorse, it does not have to be malicious, when you are driving your eyes have to be glued to the road, or even more so, your mind has to be dedicated to driving.  A lady hit my father's classic 43 Ford truck while texting, while it was parked on the side of the road, thank god without him in it. The lady felt horrible that the truck he had taken care of  since before I was born, that originally was owned by my grandfather a WW1 vet was wrecked. She said she was really sorry and that she never had problems before, she said she sent from 200-300 texts a day from her phone in her car, and now she would stop, after she hit my dad's truck going around a slight curve in front of a church on Sunday morning, while it was in session. Please pass a law, and please , please don't be stupid, and continue to talk or text on your cell while driving until it's too late, and then affects you.

October 23, 2008, 8:08 am CDT

For Legality Sake

Whether operating a car or 12-25 ton bus or truck it all the same -------

Using a Cell Phone or Text messaging while operating a motor vehicle is like doing your homework, makeup or combing your hair. DEADLY!

We make laws as a deterent and as legal tools and these should be added to the books. And Driver testing manuals.

Also this should be added to the legal books -- Any person in the job capacity as an Accident Investigator should be required to obtain those phone records needed prior to concluding their investigation involving Motor Vehicles resulting in serious injury and or death.

This would rule out any neglect for task at hand in operating said equipment or assist in other charges being initiated against an individual.

With the rise in Hit Run type accidents (pedestrians) this would be helpful for law inforcement should a possible suspect be under investigation.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last