Message Boards

Topic : 06/01 Killer Texting

Number of Replies: 395
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 17, 2008, 02:55:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/23/08) Do you text message while driving? It may seem harmless, but distracted drivers account for nearly four out of five crashes in the United States, and looking away for just two seconds doubles that danger. Still, nearly 50 percent of drivers between the ages of 18 and 24 continue to text behind the wheel. Twenty-one-year-old Heather boasts that her multitasking skills are so fine-tuned, she has no problem texting while navigating the road. Dr. Phil cameras capture Heather driving with her hands off the wheel for more than 60 seconds. Next, Linda discovered the harsh reality texting while driving can cause when her daughter, Lauren, was killed by a driver distracted by his cell phone. She created the Web site HangUpSaveALife.com in her daughter’s memory. Then, Francisco was a survivor of the recent L.A. Metrolink train crash that killed 25 people, and Roland rescued Francisco from the wreckage. Hear their reaction to the National Transportation Safety Board’s reports that the passenger train’s engineer sent and received 57 text messages that day, and that he sent a text just 22 seconds prior to crashing head-on with a freight train. Dr. Travis Stork of The Doctors weighs in regarding accident victims in the E.R. And, State Senator Joe Simitian wrote the bill that outlaws texting while driving in the state of California; he debates with State Assemblyman Chuck Devore, who is opposed to anti-texting laws. Where do you stand on this controversial topic? Log on to DrPhil.com to cast your vote!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 23, 2008, 8:13 am CDT

Killer Texting

Ohio does not currently have a law against texting or cell phone use while driving that I have heard of....but I feel we need one.... having worked in the auto insurance industry for 39+ years, I feel that if you are the cause or the responsible party for an accident while talking or texting that your auto insurance should cover the damage you caused to others, but not to cover your own chosen negligence.  I can only hope that OH gets a 'no cell phone use while driving' law.

I have seen too much and reviewed way too many auto claims that involved not only cell phone usage but texting at the time of a loss. 

It's bad news.

October 23, 2008, 8:16 am CDT

Rights

Though I don't condone texting or using the phone in the car , I think it is very interesting and scary to see how people are so eager to give away there rights in the name of safety. In some states you can not stand outside your door and drink or smoke cigarettes. Now many states has a hands free phone set only law. What are we willing to give up next? Soon we are going to  be forced to change our Driver's licenses so that a chip can be installed so that the powers that be can monitor what we spend. There is even a couple who allowed themselves to be microchipped in the name of safety. What has happened to privacy? What has happened to taking responsibility for yourself? Is there not other things that are more important for police to do besides looking to see who is using there cell phone in their car? What about drunk drivers? the war on drugs? the war on terror? What about investing in the education of our youth instead of wasting time on something as frivolous as a cell phone? It all comes down to be responsible for yourself...

October 23, 2008, 8:18 am CDT

killer texting

my state does not have a law and it should..  I never agreeded with the doing ANYTHING while driving except keeping my mind on driving.  Thats hard enough sometimes..  My son was recently in an accident where the lady that hit him was on her phone, he was at the stop light middle section waiting for traffic to clear so he could make a left hand turn, he didnt have time....  The lady ran the stop sign and hit his car.  TOTALED IT..   If his friend had not been looking at him to talk to him he would not of seen the lady coming and told my son to FLOOR IT...   my son did.  If he had not .....   she would of hit his driver side door and probably killed all 3 kids in the car..  instead she hit the back quarter panel, it shoved that into the back seat and the trunk about 3 feet..  if anyone would of been in the backseat, they would be dead.  there was no way anyone would of lived thru that.  That accident broke out every window in his car except the front and the front seat windows. My son is 16 and before this happened he  would make a fuss everytime someone was on their phone while driving.   Ironic he would get into his first accident that way.  And thankfully his friend was looking in his direction.. Because sadly I do believe NONE of them would of LIVED..... PLEASE do as the billboard on todays show said.   HANG UP BEFORE YOU DRIVE..

winona

October 23, 2008, 8:22 am CDT

i am so against texting

DR. PHIL,

I THINK TEXTING IS SOOO USELESS.I HAVE IT BLOCKED ON MY CELL PHONE SO I DON'T GET ANY. I FEEL IF ONE CAN'T CALL AN LEAVE A MESSAGE DON'T EVEN  BOTHER ME.IT TAKES TO LONG TO FINGER ALL THE BUTTONS THEY ARE TOO SMALL TO USE PRESCISLEY SO MISTAKES ARE ALWAYS THERE.I HAVE A VOICE AND I USE IT. THANKS

October 23, 2008, 8:29 am CDT

Nightmare

Quote From: kathynjfl

Only foolswould drive using a cell phone.  I carry one for emergency  use only. It's always turned off unless I need it in an emergency, or to call someone in an emergency. Either the cell phone is off or the van's motor is turned off, no questions asked!  That should be a nationwide law!

This issue has been my worst nightmare this week. My daughter and her friend were coming home

from a school function on Saturday. My daughter went off the side of the road and over corrected

and lost control. The car rolled 2 times before it came to rest upside down in a ditch. They both

crawled out the window without a scratch on them. They were wearing seatbelts. They were treated and released, both just very sore and thankful to be alive. The second thing I asked my daughter when I arrived at the accident scene was if she had been on her phone. She answered "NO". This was Saturday, by Tuesday her friendwas so troubled by the accident and the lie that my daughter had told me that we were contactedby the girls parents that our daughter had not been truthful. She no longer has text on her cell phone and the phone is in our hands. Riding the school bus to school and many other priviledges taken away. I had NO idea that kids or people text while driving. I am 50 and do not text and really hate cell phones. I also learned about cell phone companies during this accident. I can not be told by U S CElluar about her phone activity prior to the accident. She is on our plan and I will get all this information when my bill arrives, but they would not release this to me over the phone. I am so thankful my daughter and her friend are alive.I have learned much this week about cell phones and none of it has been good.

October 23, 2008, 8:34 am CDT

Phone Use in General

In reference to the man that was on the show debating about making texting against the law and that if we did that, where would it stop. I remember these EXACT same arguments when seat belt requirements were being debated. That became law, and even people who hate having to be strapped in, know now that the law does SAVE lives. There will always be those, like drivers who drink, that will not care about what is and is not law. But it does not erase the fact that most people will abide by the law...if there is a law. In the UK, the fine for using your phone off of the hands free, is the equilivent of approximately $3,000. I guarantee, if there was enough pain at the ticket, people would stop doing it here too. When I travel to the UK, I let my calls go to message and I pull off and park when it is convient, then I return the call. There is no call that requires my immediate responce if I am driving...especially if it is going to cost $3,000. American dollars. Remember, SEAT BELTS SAVE LIVES...SO WILL LEAVING THE PHONE ALONE WHEN YOU SHOULD HAVE BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL AND BOTH EYES ON THE ROAD.

October 23, 2008, 8:49 am CDT

cell phones

Iam now 51. Have been rideing motorcycles for over 40 years. Cell phone's while driveing now scare me more than the deer runing across the road. Ther is hardley a day when i dont give some one the bird. I alway's hear o jeee i didnt see you. Folks dont use thier turn signals any more or even bother to look. It's sad to say and i hope it doesnt happen it's going to take a political figure to have a death in the famley because of a cell phone. I was left for dead on 9-11-05 when someone went left of center. I had to hit a gauard rail at 55 mph. They never saw me. So lets all get off the phone and save a live. Thank you

October 23, 2008, 9:03 am CDT

The Lose of A Mother from texting

This is a topic that is close to my heart.I lost my mother 2 years ago due to a teenage driver who was texting while driving.My mother was in a marked cross walk and the driver never saw her.She thought she hit a bird.I would like to ask anyone who is texting while driving would you give up your mothers life so that you could reply to a text?We need to due everything we can to get laws passed .Anyone who thinks we don't need these law's -talk to me after one of your family members is killed.I will forever be with out a mother and my kids with out a Grandmother for the simple reason this person thought that telling her friends she would be at school soon was more important then a life!

N.C

October 23, 2008, 9:17 am CDT

Be brutaly honest with your self

When you are texting a message while driving, from the time you begin the text to the time that you finish it, there is no way your brain is focused on driving, at all! Even when you glance up to see what is going on it takes a second or two for your brain to actually switch gears and compute what it is seeing! Come on!

It is like trying to watch tv and read a book at the same time, try it then try to tell a family member what you watched and what you read at the same time lol.

your brain can not humanly access disimilar information at the same time, it is not possible!

It like trying to type and talk on the phone at the same time, you will probably end up typing what is being talked about rather than what you were actually supposed to be typing lol.

so for the young lady that is typing while driving with her knees for petes sake, please pull over in a safe place and text to your hearts content, but do not do it when you are behind the wheel and on the road!

It is not right! You are sharing that road with millions of other people, and do not have the right to jepordize thier lives, because you feel it so dang important to respont to a text...

You may feel you are great at texting and driving at the same time, but i would have to say that your brain probably would have a very different opinion on the matter.

As for making it against the law to continue the practice of texting and cell phone use while driving, i agree it should be made against the law to do these activities, it is dangerous.

As for the police enforcing the law, why could it not be that there is some kind of device that would block signals from cell phones while the car is in motion? I know people may say, people need to be responsible for themselves, but i hate to say it but nine times out of ten it is the responsable people that are injured, maimed, or killed by the people that wont be responsable.

in a perfect world irresponsible people would sit up and say oh gosh, i got to be responsable about this and not text and use a cell phone whiole driving.. but in reality, it is usually too little to late, and some one is seriously hurt or killed, before they say oh i was wrong!

I hate having to baby sit irresponsible people just as much as the next gal, or guy, but I can say this, I sure as heck am glad that i am alive to at least be able to do it... =/.

For all those people that have lost loved ones due to irrespopnsable drivers, my heart really goes out to you, it is wrong to lose a life due to some one elses irresponsability and stupidity, it has got to stop!

Tammy

October 23, 2008, 9:20 am CDT

I have seen what happens when texting

I am a RN and when I saw this topic I had to post a message.  I know of the tragic results from texting, I have seen photos of a young man who was in a fatal accident.  All that was involved was texting and he ran into the back of a semi-truck and was killed immediately.  The resulting injuries were extremely graphic and I won't discuss them in detail.  Suffice to say he was ripped apart.  It is so sad to me that young people are taking their lives in their hands when driving and it can end so tragically.  I never text while driving and fully advocate making it illegal to do so.  For all those who are parents or know young people or anyone who texts, please don't let them text, if it can't wait, pull over.  But I have never seen a message that was more important than your life.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last