Message Boards

Topic : 06/01 Killer Texting

Number of Replies: 395
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 17, 2008, 02:55:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/23/08) Do you text message while driving? It may seem harmless, but distracted drivers account for nearly four out of five crashes in the United States, and looking away for just two seconds doubles that danger. Still, nearly 50 percent of drivers between the ages of 18 and 24 continue to text behind the wheel. Twenty-one-year-old Heather boasts that her multitasking skills are so fine-tuned, she has no problem texting while navigating the road. Dr. Phil cameras capture Heather driving with her hands off the wheel for more than 60 seconds. Next, Linda discovered the harsh reality texting while driving can cause when her daughter, Lauren, was killed by a driver distracted by his cell phone. She created the Web site HangUpSaveALife.com in her daughter’s memory. Then, Francisco was a survivor of the recent L.A. Metrolink train crash that killed 25 people, and Roland rescued Francisco from the wreckage. Hear their reaction to the National Transportation Safety Board’s reports that the passenger train’s engineer sent and received 57 text messages that day, and that he sent a text just 22 seconds prior to crashing head-on with a freight train. Dr. Travis Stork of The Doctors weighs in regarding accident victims in the E.R. And, State Senator Joe Simitian wrote the bill that outlaws texting while driving in the state of California; he debates with State Assemblyman Chuck Devore, who is opposed to anti-texting laws. Where do you stand on this controversial topic? Log on to DrPhil.com to cast your vote!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 23, 2008, 9:30 am CDT

texting is danger

you know its not just in the US but in canada as well and i see people talking on their cell phones while driving as well and thats not a good sign what so ever if you need to text or talk on these phones take the time and pull over and do. if you on a highway pull off to the neatest exit to do all this its not worth your lives or the childerns lives

October 23, 2008, 9:31 am CDT

cell phones

Iam now 51. Have been rideing motorcycles for over 40 years. Cell phone's while driveing now scare me more than the deer runing across the road. Ther is hardley a day when i dont give some one the bird. I alway's hear o jeee i didnt see you. Folks dont use thier turn signals any more or even bother to look. It's sad to say and i hope it doesnt happen it's going to take a political figure to have a death in the famley because of a cell phone. I was left for dead on 9-11-05 when someone went left of center. I had to hit a gauard rail at 55 mph. They never saw me. So lets all get off the phone and save a live. Thank you

October 23, 2008, 9:36 am CDT

10/23 Killer Texting

Quote From: mbentleycruz

Though I don't condone texting or using the phone in the car , I think it is very interesting and scary to see how people are so eager to give away there rights in the name of safety. In some states you can not stand outside your door and drink or smoke cigarettes. Now many states has a hands free phone set only law. What are we willing to give up next? Soon we are going to  be forced to change our Driver's licenses so that a chip can be installed so that the powers that be can monitor what we spend. There is even a couple who allowed themselves to be microchipped in the name of safety. What has happened to privacy? What has happened to taking responsibility for yourself? Is there not other things that are more important for police to do besides looking to see who is using there cell phone in their car? What about drunk drivers? the war on drugs? the war on terror? What about investing in the education of our youth instead of wasting time on something as frivolous as a cell phone? It all comes down to be responsible for yourself...
It's because people are too damn stupid to take responsibility for themselves that laws must be passed telling them what common sense ought to tell them. Too many idiots are texting, and causing serious, sometimes fatal accidents. That's why every state ought to outlaw it. And, the national government refuse to give any state money for road construction or maintenance unless they do. That's how the government got every state to raise the drinking age back to 21.

October 23, 2008, 9:51 am CDT

10/23 Killer Texting

Quote From: mbentleycruz

Though I don't condone texting or using the phone in the car , I think it is very interesting and scary to see how people are so eager to give away there rights in the name of safety. In some states you can not stand outside your door and drink or smoke cigarettes. Now many states has a hands free phone set only law. What are we willing to give up next? Soon we are going to  be forced to change our Driver's licenses so that a chip can be installed so that the powers that be can monitor what we spend. There is even a couple who allowed themselves to be microchipped in the name of safety. What has happened to privacy? What has happened to taking responsibility for yourself? Is there not other things that are more important for police to do besides looking to see who is using there cell phone in their car? What about drunk drivers? the war on drugs? the war on terror? What about investing in the education of our youth instead of wasting time on something as frivolous as a cell phone? It all comes down to be responsible for yourself...
Privacy. What's so damn private about driving down a public thoroughfare, texting, or doing anything else that so distracts the driver that he becomes a danger to himself or others?

October 23, 2008, 10:01 am CDT

10/23 Killer Texting

Quote From: berdeniafaye

You have to have S*** for brains to text or anything that takes your mind off of the road. NOTHING & NO ONE is so IMPORTANT to risk losing a life or putting one in danger. I get so ANGRY when I see anyone doing this. I can't count the many times I have avoided these egotistical idiots. If I have to talk on the phone I pull over in a safe area.  I am absolutely amazed at the stupidity when I hear from these people that they are good drivers. Yep, and the guy texting  on that train thought he knew his job well enough that he could text. How many families did he change forever.??? These idiots need to NOT only have their phones taken away but before you lock them up, and throw away the keys, send them to a morge and let them see the dead bodies. Wake up AMERICA!!!!! This is by far one of the most DANGEROUS things that people do , thinking it's not going to happen to them, before it's too late. Not only are you putting others  in danger,  but yourself as well.
I watched the show at 9 am. While eating my high response cost, high yield breakfast. And,alspit my low-fat milk out when Dr Phil called Heather an "intelligent" young woman. No one with even half a brain cell drives with their knee while sending. or receiving text messages. Especially in Houston traffic. And, she's made it to 21 in a premed program? Great Caesar's Ghost! Texas must have some awfully easy colleges. Remind me never to let any doctor who went to school in Texas anywhere near me with a scalpal!

October 23, 2008, 10:10 am CDT

Glad the evil selfish lady didn't kill you

Quote From: navybrat913

While going through my divorce 3+ years ago, I was on the road with my ex hub of 11 years, who was seeing a 21 year old (he was 34).  He was driving 75+ mph, and texting her, and it scared the hell out of me (at 32).  He claimed he could drive & text;, yet he almost killed us because his bimbette girlfriend replied while we were driving.

Yesterday I almost got into a fatal car accident because of a person text messaging.  I was following an suv, driving the speed limit, but she was texting, didn't notice that there was a stop at the light, then came to a full-on stop, with no notice.  The only reason it was not an accident was that my brakes locked, and I swerved, and there was no oncoming traffic.

and that you are alright.  SUVs (as well as non-commercial pickups) are the worst.  I see  so many more people on cell phones and texting in SUVs then I do in passenger cars.   I also see so many more SUVs driving recklessly than passenger cars.   I'm not just talking about young people either.  One of the scariest times to drive where I live is within 30 minutes of when the elementary schools let out, because of all the selfish only my child matters parents with there overscheduled children in there SUVs and Minivans.  I have been seen these people driving about 55mph on 25 mph roads, often times while talking on there cell phones.  Who cares if your little spoiled brats excel at every activity in the world, if you kill them on the way there!

October 23, 2008, 10:18 am CDT

P.S.

Quote From: navybrat913

While going through my divorce 3+ years ago, I was on the road with my ex hub of 11 years, who was seeing a 21 year old (he was 34).  He was driving 75+ mph, and texting her, and it scared the hell out of me (at 32).  He claimed he could drive & text;, yet he almost killed us because his bimbette girlfriend replied while we were driving.

Yesterday I almost got into a fatal car accident because of a person text messaging.  I was following an suv, driving the speed limit, but she was texting, didn't notice that there was a stop at the light, then came to a full-on stop, with no notice.  The only reason it was not an accident was that my brakes locked, and I swerved, and there was no oncoming traffic.

Forgot to mention in my previous post, if you haven't already heard about it the Fairness in Vechile Safety Suggested Legislation (Tiered System).  It is designed to get people like the lady who nearly killed you of the road before they kill someone.  It assigns tickets passed on the risk the vechile supplies to others, as well as deteriation of roads, and appropriately tickets more dangerous vechiles at 2x to 10x the normal rate passed on the size of the vechile.  It actually reduces the ticket price for smaller vechiles ,passenger car hybrids, and motorcyles.   Let me know if you want more info.  

October 23, 2008, 10:23 am CDT

10/23 Killer Texting

Quote From: juliebgg

These idiots need to pay very hefty fines for their texting while driving,  AND have their oh-so-precious cell phones taken away from them as well if they text while driving. People, especially  younger ones are far too attached to their phones to begin with.  Just enter any  restaurant and you'll see girls clutching on to their stupid phones as if they were lifelines. 
I see just as many guys doing this. Just yesterday, my husband and I celebrated our anniversary in a nice restaurant. Shortly after we were seated in our booth, the waitress seated a woman at the table next to us. A woman who was obviously waiting for someone to join her. And, who joined her but an obese man with a cell phone "glued" to his ear? And, on our way to the restaurant, I saw a man driving in the lane next to us with a cell phone "glued" to his ear, too. And, there's a gray haired man sitting at the library computer next to mine who's got three calls on his, phone. Every time he gets a call, I fold my arms on the table and stare at him until he quits talking. Fortunately, the last call was from his daughter, wanting him to babysit. So, he's finally gone. My husband has a co-worker who constantly texts his girlfriend on company time. But, management doesn't know because my husband does all the work. But, they will know after my husband retires next March and the work is no longer getting done. This guy's girlfriend better enjoy it now because, if they get married, it won't last. He'll be ignoring her just like he ignored his first wife. And, last but not least, that texting train engineer was a guy, too!

October 23, 2008, 10:26 am CDT

10/23 Killer Texting

Quote From: ramair

I watched the show at 9 am. While eating my high response cost, high yield breakfast. And,alspit my low-fat milk out when Dr Phil called Heather an "intelligent" young woman. No one with even half a brain cell drives with their knee while sending. or receiving text messages. Especially in Houston traffic. And, she's made it to 21 in a premed program? Great Caesar's Ghost! Texas must have some awfully easy colleges. Remind me never to let any doctor who went to school in Texas anywhere near me with a scalpal!
Meant to say I almost spit my milk out.

October 23, 2008, 10:30 am CDT

Enforce existing laws

Municipalities can enforce existing laws that require that both hands remain on the steering wheel to maintain continuous control of the vehicle in operation. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last