Message Boards

Topic : 06/01 Killer Texting

Number of Replies: 395
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 17, 2008, 02:55:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/23/08) Do you text message while driving? It may seem harmless, but distracted drivers account for nearly four out of five crashes in the United States, and looking away for just two seconds doubles that danger. Still, nearly 50 percent of drivers between the ages of 18 and 24 continue to text behind the wheel. Twenty-one-year-old Heather boasts that her multitasking skills are so fine-tuned, she has no problem texting while navigating the road. Dr. Phil cameras capture Heather driving with her hands off the wheel for more than 60 seconds. Next, Linda discovered the harsh reality texting while driving can cause when her daughter, Lauren, was killed by a driver distracted by his cell phone. She created the Web site HangUpSaveALife.com in her daughter’s memory. Then, Francisco was a survivor of the recent L.A. Metrolink train crash that killed 25 people, and Roland rescued Francisco from the wreckage. Hear their reaction to the National Transportation Safety Board’s reports that the passenger train’s engineer sent and received 57 text messages that day, and that he sent a text just 22 seconds prior to crashing head-on with a freight train. Dr. Travis Stork of The Doctors weighs in regarding accident victims in the E.R. And, State Senator Joe Simitian wrote the bill that outlaws texting while driving in the state of California; he debates with State Assemblyman Chuck Devore, who is opposed to anti-texting laws. Where do you stand on this controversial topic? Log on to DrPhil.com to cast your vote!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 18, 2008, 1:31 pm CDT

Wasn't there a Dr.Phil on this not too long ago?

But I don't mind, I don't think that too much can be said about these egotistical killers.

October 18, 2008, 2:09 pm CDT

driving while texting

So many times I see people texting, some even slowing down in middle of heavy traffic flow.  I really do fear for people on the road.  What will it take to make these people realize how serious this is?  It only took one time for me.  Yes I tried to make a phone call on my cell phone and it took only 2 seconds to realize I could not do both.  I do not take calls or make them and never will again.

Thanks

October 18, 2008, 4:01 pm CDT

The Truth

The truth is that texting while driving doesn't just take your eyes off the road, but your mind also.  You can't help it.  Even if you feel like you are still paying full attention to the road and traffic, processes are occuring in your brain while you are texting that can only be controlled by simply not doing anything else besides focusing fully on driving.  We must make people realize this.  Save a life today.

October 18, 2008, 7:22 pm CDT

There needs to be heavy consequences for texting while driving

Quote From: cornstarch

So many times I see people texting, some even slowing down in middle of heavy traffic flow.  I really do fear for people on the road.  What will it take to make these people realize how serious this is?  It only took one time for me.  Yes I tried to make a phone call on my cell phone and it took only 2 seconds to realize I could not do both.  I do not take calls or make them and never will again.

Thanks

These idiots need to pay very hefty fines for their texting while driving,  AND have their oh-so-precious cell phones taken away from them as well if they text while driving. People, especially  younger ones are far too attached to their phones to begin with.  Just enter any  restaurant and you'll see girls clutching on to their stupid phones as if they were lifelines. 

October 18, 2008, 7:25 pm CDT

And......

Oh and maybe also suspend licenses for people who text while driving.  Better to get these morons off the road rather than have an innocent person killed by the likes of them.

October 19, 2008, 5:56 pm CDT

10/23 killer texting

Quote From: firehouseoic

The truth is that texting while driving doesn't just take your eyes off the road, but your mind also.  You can't help it.  Even if you feel like you are still paying full attention to the road and traffic, processes are occuring in your brain while you are texting that can only be controlled by simply not doing anything else besides focusing fully on driving.  We must make people realize this.  Save a life today.

Exactly.  And if they are kids in the cars and driving and are caught by an accident or ticket, I say remove the cars.  They can text while they are walking. And if they are driving mom/dad car, take it away.  Bet that will straighten them up. Parents MUST BE RESPONSIBLE if they agree to let the kids take a 3,000 lbs weapon onto the streets and do not demand them to do right.  I also believe manufactturers can assist in stop making cars moving living rooms.  They are just transportation from point A to point B.  No one has been saved by a DVD movie in a car; they have been by seat belts and bags.  What more do you need?

You have to think yourself as so important to think you must immediately do this.  I know when I take the Metrolink in/home each day, people will be on their phones LOUD and just carrying on conversation.  Nothing important but trying to appear important.  Same with the drivers and you see them on the freeways, self absorbed. 

When I had drivers ed in school, my teacher had Coroner's Corner.  He got pictures from the County Coroner and put them up for us to see every class.  Let me tell you, that is reality. 

October 19, 2008, 8:38 pm CDT

DISTRACTIONS CAN KILL.

My father-inlaw refused to put a radio in his vehicles from the 1940's till his death in 1992.He preached to us that distractions could be deadly while people are driving.This is the same man that joined the army while underage so he could defend freedom in 1942.This from a man left for dead for two days durring a major battle which left him with medals and an appreciation for life.He never harped on anything else and always joked around.I really didn't  understand his deep fear of distracted drivers on the road.....UNTIL...  two days ago.Two days ago I took his only daughter for a ride to Algonquin Provincial Park to see the leaves changing color. and all the campers and hikers at Mew lake.We stopped for a nice meal just outside the park and gave the friendly waitriss a nice tip and a thank you for the great service.I had no idea what was about to happen to us 6 kilometers down that winding road..After we finnished that nice meal we headed up the twisting road as the warm sunny day and the silence of nature relaxed us.Then on a corner all of the sudden a young man in his mid twenties crossed the center line and gazed up from his distraction with a look of PANIC and FEAR.There was nothing I could do because of the deep cliff revine to our right and I knew death was about 3 seconds away.I took the gravel with my right wheels and the young man pulled hard to the right missing us by a narrow width !!.If he wouldn't have looked up and taken the correct action I wouldn't be writting this right now.We would probably be in a funeral chapel for a viewing if we were presentable enough after being knocked into the ravine? Now I understand the fears of a brave War vet that felt DISTRACTIONS AT THE WHEEL CAN KILL.

October 20, 2008, 6:56 am CDT

10/23 Killer Texting

My husband is a OTR Truck Driver so I have been out on the road with him weeks at a time.  Up high in a semi you see many inconsiderate drivers cutting off other drivers as well as drivers reading, texting, women putting on make-up, watching a movie on a DVD, getting dressed, falling asleep, or handing on a cell phone. 

Years ago there was not such a thing as a cell phone and the world did not come to an end.  STOP TEXTING AND TALKING AND HANG UP THOSE CELL PHONE.  Each driver has a responsibility to each other to pay full attention to the road and be courteous. It is so dangerous anymore driving on the roads more so than years ago.  I fear each day I am going to get a call my husband or son was killed in an accident after seeing all the stupidity on the road. 

One more thing Dr. Phil, sorry to inform you, it is not just the young who text and put other drivers at danger.  I have seen older folks texting as well out there on the interstates.  If you are going to talk about dangers of texting with driving you should address a the dangerous stunts drivers are pulling and putting every other driver on the road with them at risk. 

I feel the use of cell phones on any roadway should be outlawed and enforced by lawforcement.  This is a serious situation more so then enforcing a grown adult to wear a seat belts which is enforced heavily.

DRIVERS,  PUT THE CELL PHONE AWAY, YOUR READING MATERIALS AWAY,  GET UP EARLIER AND GET DRESSED AND PUT YOUR MAKE-UP ON AT HOME, & TURN OFF THOSE DVD PLAYERS AND PUT YOUR FULL ATTENTION ON THE ROAD.  BEING IN A HURRY DOES NOT PAY WHEN YOU ARE INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT AND YOU ARE UNABLE TO ARRIVE WHERE YOU WERE HEADING OR YOU NEVER GET TO SEE YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS AGAIN BECAUSE YOU WERENT PAYING ATTENTION OR YOU CUT ANOTHER DRIVER OFF. 

WAKE UP DRIVERS TO THE REAL WORLD.  OH, BY THE WAY, SEMI'S CANNOT STOP ON A DIME SO STOP CUTTING THEM OFF.  DEPENDING ON THE WEIGHT OF THE LOAD IT MAY TAKE SEVERAL HUNDRED FEET FOR THEM TO GET IT COMPLETELY STOPPED.  BEING OUT ON THE ROAD WITH MY HUSBAND I HAVE SEEN MANY DRIVERS CUT HIM AND OTHER TRUCK DRIVERS OFF AND JUST ABOUT CAUSE AN ACCIDENT.  I AM NO WAY SAYING THERE IS NOT INCONSIDERATE TRUCK DRIVERS BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN THEM AS WELL AND MOST OF THEM ARE OWNER OPERATORS AND IF THEY ARE NOT THEY NEED TO BE CALLED INTO THE COMPANY THEY DRIVE FOR AND I BET THEY WONT DRIVE LIKE THAT AGAIN IN THAT COMPANY TRUCK.

EVERYONE DRIVE SAFELY!

October 20, 2008, 12:41 pm CDT

What is a life worth to you?

My husband and I ride motorcyle.  One of our biggest dangers are drivers texting or talking on cell phones.  They don't always look over their shoulders when merging or changing lanes.  If you even bump us, there is nothing between us and the road or your car.  Is that message so important for you to take someones life?  HANG UP THE PHONE AND START SEEING MOTORCYCLES

October 20, 2008, 1:59 pm CDT

I have seen this too

Quote From: swildfire

My husband is a OTR Truck Driver so I have been out on the road with him weeks at a time.  Up high in a semi you see many inconsiderate drivers cutting off other drivers as well as drivers reading, texting, women putting on make-up, watching a movie on a DVD, getting dressed, falling asleep, or handing on a cell phone. 

Years ago there was not such a thing as a cell phone and the world did not come to an end.  STOP TEXTING AND TALKING AND HANG UP THOSE CELL PHONE.  Each driver has a responsibility to each other to pay full attention to the road and be courteous. It is so dangerous anymore driving on the roads more so than years ago.  I fear each day I am going to get a call my husband or son was killed in an accident after seeing all the stupidity on the road. 

One more thing Dr. Phil, sorry to inform you, it is not just the young who text and put other drivers at danger.  I have seen older folks texting as well out there on the interstates.  If you are going to talk about dangers of texting with driving you should address a the dangerous stunts drivers are pulling and putting every other driver on the road with them at risk. 

I feel the use of cell phones on any roadway should be outlawed and enforced by lawforcement.  This is a serious situation more so then enforcing a grown adult to wear a seat belts which is enforced heavily.

DRIVERS,  PUT THE CELL PHONE AWAY, YOUR READING MATERIALS AWAY,  GET UP EARLIER AND GET DRESSED AND PUT YOUR MAKE-UP ON AT HOME, & TURN OFF THOSE DVD PLAYERS AND PUT YOUR FULL ATTENTION ON THE ROAD.  BEING IN A HURRY DOES NOT PAY WHEN YOU ARE INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT AND YOU ARE UNABLE TO ARRIVE WHERE YOU WERE HEADING OR YOU NEVER GET TO SEE YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS AGAIN BECAUSE YOU WERENT PAYING ATTENTION OR YOU CUT ANOTHER DRIVER OFF. 

WAKE UP DRIVERS TO THE REAL WORLD.  OH, BY THE WAY, SEMI'S CANNOT STOP ON A DIME SO STOP CUTTING THEM OFF.  DEPENDING ON THE WEIGHT OF THE LOAD IT MAY TAKE SEVERAL HUNDRED FEET FOR THEM TO GET IT COMPLETELY STOPPED.  BEING OUT ON THE ROAD WITH MY HUSBAND I HAVE SEEN MANY DRIVERS CUT HIM AND OTHER TRUCK DRIVERS OFF AND JUST ABOUT CAUSE AN ACCIDENT.  I AM NO WAY SAYING THERE IS NOT INCONSIDERATE TRUCK DRIVERS BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN THEM AS WELL AND MOST OF THEM ARE OWNER OPERATORS AND IF THEY ARE NOT THEY NEED TO BE CALLED INTO THE COMPANY THEY DRIVE FOR AND I BET THEY WONT DRIVE LIKE THAT AGAIN IN THAT COMPANY TRUCK.

EVERYONE DRIVE SAFELY!

I ride the bus a lot.  There always seems to be some SUV (especially jeeps) trying to cut off the bus.   Given that most SUVs rank pretty low safety wise, despite there size what do they think is going to happen if they get hit by a bus.  And even more so do they realize that the bus doesn't have seat belts and that some people may even be standing so there could be a huge number of injuries?   Even when the bus has to stop not to hit them I have seen people nearly go flying.   

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last