Message Boards

Topic : 01/20 Dating Double Standards

Number of Replies: 227
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 17, 2008, 02:56:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/24/08) Ladies, what would you do if you had to return to the dating game in your 40s, 50s or even 60s? Dr. Phil’s guests point to a double standard between men and women. Men can date women young enough to be their daughters, while a middle-aged woman who dates younger men is sure to face criticism. Caroline is a 58-year-old grandmother who has been married three times and is still looking for her Prince Charming. She admits to traveling from Monaco to Amsterdam and throughout the States in search of love, often with younger men. Caroline says she even accepted a proposal from a man she met online -- a suitor she has never met in person! Her daughter, Anara, says the problem is not her mother’s age, but that her mom doesn’t act her age. Is Caroline just living life without limits, or is she her own worst enemy when it comes to meeting Mr. Right? Then, Dr. Phil talks to Patti Stanger, CEO of The Millionaire’s Club, an exclusive dating service that caters to wealthy men and women who are looking for love. Find out why Patti says Caroline is heading toward a life of loneliness, and learn her dating tips to increase your chances of finding a mate. And, Anna is only 30, but she says some men already think she’s too old to date! Her friend, Robyn, says Anna's independence turns some men off. Find out what happens when Dr. Phil cameras follow Anna for a night on the town. Plus, meet a divorced mom who says she’s been on the dating scene for 15 years and has yet to find a man her age who wants to commit.. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 24, 2008, 3:06 pm CDT

Life begins at 45

I have never done this before but after watching today's show I felt I just had to speak my mind.

As a single mom of two great teens and yes I'm 47...   If a man wants the younger woman, what's the issue????  Let him, he'll soon find out disappointment comes in all ages...lol   Younger woman may have the bodies but I feel that they lack the mind and experience it takes to keep a man truly happy.  I have had younger men ask me out and I just laugh....  what could we possibly have in common besides sex and at 47 I can teach them but don't want to.   I believe in order to find true happiness in a relationship, first you have to happy within yourself.  Only than can you truly be happy in a relationship.  Men are different creatures and woman should realize just what they need in order to be a marketable commondity.   Hey, it has taken me a long time to realize that ....  wrong as it sounds, it's so true.  All you had to do was listen to the men on today's show (the two that was presented...lol)   Beauty starts on the inside....

October 24, 2008, 3:08 pm CDT

My opinion is totally different

As  I said in my profile, I have been divorced and out of work for the past year and a half roughly.  I am fast approaching my 50th birthday.  I consider myself a very spiritual person and believe that everything happens for a reason.  I don't understand all of these women who are without a man and are feverishly trying to date to "bag" one.  That is just not what life is about and I wish that women would figure that out.  You have to learn to be happy with yourself and find out who you are and what you like and want for yourself and then the right person will come along.  When you go looking for it you will find trouble.  If you are not happy with yourself you are not going to be happy with anyone else.

I haven't dated since my divorce.  I have been too busy trying to figure out who I am and why would I want to grab another man when one already put me into a mess?  I want the right man or none at all!  He will find me when it is time and we are both ready.

It doesn't matter whether someone is younger or older, it's who is right for me.

Thank you for letting me vent.

October 24, 2008, 3:11 pm CDT

braovo woman

Quote From: rclower

Reading this segment promo, makes me worry about my relationship. I am 47 he is 67. I have never been married, he has been married twice before. We've gone out once and I am feeling anxious about this. I feel like I am dating out of my league but I don't exactly have men my age beatting down the door for me. On our 'date' he tells me he thougth I was in my 30's. So I am wondering if he asked me out because he thought it would look good on his belt to have a much younger woman or if he really likes me for me. I am not sure what I feel for him. This is the first date I have had in years and I am clueless. My sister asked me how was my date with grandpa, so, i am not sure this is a great idea. - ramona

this loser that her show cancelled and is not the hit that dr phil said, she also has never been married so why would you have this"expert" on the show

October 24, 2008, 3:12 pm CDT

Dating Double Standards

When I met Rick he was 22, I was 39.  No one ever saw an age difference.  I had 2 teenage sons.  Rick was 2 years older than my oldest son.  After dating for 6 months, Rick and I got married.  We have been married for over 22 years and we are still in love.  Many people have commented that Rick looks older than I am.

If the idea of an older woman and a younger man "creeps you out" . . . . . oh well.  It works for me. 

October 24, 2008, 3:15 pm CDT

RIDICULOUS!

I am disgusted with today's episode of Dr. Phil. DISGUSTED!
Today the last guest on Dr. Phil advised a women to "step forward with her feminine foot", implementing that the fact she had her own business and was a successful career woman made her masculine and unattractive. Why is it that because a woman has found success in a male dominate world, it is turned around to be viewed as a negative I would like to ask why Dr. Phil is advocating that it is acceptable for a woman to allow herself to be subjected to men.
This same guest also stated that 99% of women in our society enjoyed being dressed up like dolls to be presented for men, while the remaining 1% who disagreed with this were single. First off, I am interested where this women has found her statistics. I find this practice to be offensive and degrading and wonder if this is what we want to be teaching our daughters.
I am ashamed that this type of male supremacist thinking has been advocated by Dr. Phil.
What happened to working towards an time of gender equality?

October 24, 2008, 3:16 pm CDT

iM YOUNG AND HAVE DATED MUCH OLDER MEN

My name is Maria And after my divorce last year I was dating several several men..... It seems that much older men were much more enticing. They have money jobs and like to spend it! The oldest man I have seen was 49 years old. Now I am with a 25 year old two years younger than me

October 24, 2008, 3:17 pm CDT

works for me

October 24, 2008, 3:17 pm CDT

Double Standards

Good grief, it is women like you Caroline, that give all women a bad name! You actually wonder what you are doing wrong? Are you for real. First quite lying.

October 24, 2008, 3:21 pm CDT

Dating is overrated.

Of course there is a double standard in this country for older men and younger women.  It's getting better slowly.  I remember when I was younger being disgusted to be approached by men old enough to be my father, which was the norm in the late 70's, all of the 80's and early 90's.  So I stopped dating and haven't looked back since.

Many older women are not dating anymore, perferring the friend with benefits situation. Before anyone gets on their hind legs, that dose not mean 'anybody', in fact you need to be more choosey than 'normal' with this.  Best I think for the women have been around the block a time or two, and since it really didn't work for so many, why keep repeating the same mistakes?

Want constant companionship?  Get a Dog or Cat at the local shelter. Want one that talks?  Go to a bird rescue group.

Dating is overrated.

October 24, 2008, 3:27 pm CDT

this discussion is targeted toward women BUT

I am a 54 year old guy. I have been divorced since 1999. I live alone. I have a job but that job is

NOT my life. I do not seek out younger women unless younger means 38 - 54. I have been out with younger but ONLY when THEY ask. 

I do NOT act or look younger than my age. I live according to what I am and proud of it. I cannot understand why people think mid-50 is too old to be active.

What I find to be my obsticle is most women say they seek 5'10"+. I am 5'6". I assume they know what they want and don't want so I don't make first contact. Why are only tall men good men?

---

Maybe you have seen my profile online:

I try to see the humor in each situation.

I am a little bit city and a whole lot country.

I attempt to maintain a healthy lifestyle without being fanatical. I enjoy and seek to share outdoor adventures. Are you up to a little hiking, tennis, cuddling, star-gazing, coffee/hot chocolate by the campfire?

** Age matters! Let's keep your age 38-54 years. I only date non-smokers. I am not romantically attracted to large women, tattoos or sarcasm. I seek a healthy petite to a healthy few over. There are some things in life we cannot change or control like the color of our skin, our true hair color, freckles, how tall or short we are. I am more concerned with self-neglect and what we can/choose to change in ourselves.
** I live by what I call 'Ron's Philosophy 101': our lives do not suddenly begin when we meet, our past is what has made us who we are and this road called life, good, bad, ugly and sad, should be talked about. No subject should be taboo. We all go through tough times but it is how we get up and dust ourselves off that counts. Life is for living!

I admire independent women that actually want to live life with or without a companion. I cannot fix you or make you complete but we can accentuate each other.

---

Ok, so what am I doing wrong?????

Texas Ron in northwest Arkansas

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last