Message Boards

Topic : 10/28 Cyber Bullying

Number of Replies: 132
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 24, 2008, 02:49:53 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Bullies love an audience, and there’s no bigger playground than the World Wide Web. Cyber bullies create vulgar MySpace posts to taunt others, or send harassing text messages and threatening e-mails. Dr. Phil tackles this topic head on with his son, Jay, whose new book, Jay McGraw’s Life Strategies for Dealing with Bullies, offers action-oriented plans. Jay recently sat down with a group of teens to get their perspective on cyber bullying -- and they didn’t hold back! Learn what concerns the students the most. Next, 17-year-old Austyn says a close friend turned on her, hacked into her MySpace account and reformatted the page to say that Austyn is a " slut," a “sag” and a “butter face.”  Austyn says she now has a bad reputation at school and shows Dr. Phil producers a typical day in her life. What can the teen do to empower herself? Steve DeWarns, a police officer and founder of Internetchildsafety.net, explains when cyber bullying becomes a crime. Then, is your child capable of intimidating other kids? Jay gives the Dos and Don’ts of reacting to a bully. Plus, meet a teen who fears his future may be ruined after a fake MySpace page was created in his name, and a mother who says her 15-year-old son was bullied to death. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 28, 2008, 1:33 pm CDT

10/28 Cyber Bullying

Quote From: sondraj

Okay, I am really tired of people suggesting that schools add more things to their curriculums that PARENTS should be teaching their children in THEIR homes!  We need to teach our children to respect others and to teach them compassion and respect for their friends and that their actions can hurt others.  That is our job as parents!

Unfortunately there are adult bullies in the world who have produced children who bully. There are also parents that deny that their children are bullies. These parents are not about to teach their children proper behaviour and respect. Children who have no positive role models at home need to learn from somewhere and since it starts at school, what better place to learn it.

October 28, 2008, 1:33 pm CDT

Tired

Okay, I am really tired of people suggesting that schools add more things to their curriculums that PARENTS should be teaching their children in THEIR homes!  We need to teach our children to respect others and to teach them compassion and respect for their friends and that their actions can hurt others.  That is our job as parents!

I absolutely agree! I still address people by saying "yes mam, no mam". What happened to manners, virginity, respect, children seen not heard..etc?!

TD

October 28, 2008, 1:37 pm CDT

I agree...

...to an extent. Yes parents need to be more responsible and teach their kids to be responsible members of society. But there are some things parents might not have any knowledge of, such as how social networking sites and instant messengers work. There are a lot of older people who know next to nothing about computers and the internet. I'm not making excuses for these people (as responsible parents they SHOULD make an effort to learn more so that they can parent their kids accordingly) but the schools should help too. Schools have computer courses, and teach kids how to do all kinds of things with the internet, but I don't think they emphasize responsible and ethical internet use and that should definitely be part of the curriculum as far as technology courses are concerned. That would be like showing a kid in shop class how to turn on and operate a power tool but not mention any related safety precautions. Safety training is mandatory in classes like shop class, so why not something similar in computer classes?

October 28, 2008, 1:40 pm CDT

10/28 Cyber Bullying

Quote From: cndrlla

You made some good points...can it really be that simple? I hope so. I wonder why more people don't know about these things and prevent this cyber bullying?!
It's not that simple!!!!!! Anyone can make a myspace page or facebook page claiming to be someone else and post whatever they wish. You have no control over that!!!!!!!!!!

October 28, 2008, 1:44 pm CDT

10/28 Cyber Bullying

Quote From: knlcrew1

My teen-age daughter recently had someone create a MySpace account impersonating her and they posted a picture of her that has an arrow pointing to her private parts with vulgar words (don't misunderstand, my daughter is fully dressed).  They also said vulgar things about her in the profile.  After they created the account, they sent her a message requesting she be a "friend".  When she saw it she started crying and showed it to me.  I immediately reported it to MySpace and the police.  To date, the police don't know what they're going to do about it, if anything, and the site is still up in case the police ever do decide to do anything about it.  All the kids at school were talking about it because the person that created the site was telling everyone about it and I received a message from someone that confirmed they heard the person that created the site say they did.  I frankly can't understand the mentality or lack thereof for anyone to do such a thing - and I am disturbed that the police and MySpace aren't doing anything about it.  I informed MySpace of the URL of the person that created the site yet their site is still up and running so apparently there are no repercussions?  If such actions are ok, then why do they have links to report issues like these?  These issues will continue until the powers that be gives a damn and stands up for the victims and prosecutes those responsible.     
It completely baffles me, also, why social networking site creators and administrators insist that vulgar and sexually inappropriate content is not allowed to be posted and provide links to report such content, yet they never actually do anything about it. It's rather hypocritical and downright idiotic on their part, and just horrible for people with situations like yours. On a related note, it also baffles me that schools and police will do nothing about it either, when it's absolutely clear that innocent people are being harassed, which was against the law last time i checked. It's just infuriating!

October 28, 2008, 1:45 pm CDT

Bullying a real surprise??

I enjoy Dr. Phil very much, even tho' at times our opinions may differ.  I find it a wee bit puzzling that there would almost be a mystery, as to "why" , the "extent of" , etc ,  of bullying.  Has anyone looked around lately as to the number of broken homes with all their disfunction, the disrespect  couples have for each other in the home. I am from Canada and have been watching a lot of your upcoming Election coverage in the USA.    It is nothing short of disgraceful the total lack of respect shown by one of the "Candidates"  and his party as they run for the Highest Office in the land.  When we look at the corruption at every level of Government, as they abuse  with contempt the trust placed in them by the people, it is a very sorry sight.

How would we expect young people to "get it right "  when they are overwhelmed with disrespect and bullying in every direction that they look?   I hope for America's sake that you get it right on November 4th.

Yes, I do know this problem is not only in the USA, it is everywhere in the world, including Canada.

Keep up the good work Dr. Phil!

October 28, 2008, 1:47 pm CDT

10/28 Cyber Bullying

Quote From: fabrat

Many of us have children that aren't grown! This is a serious matter and if you have grown children and don't understand this topic you don't have to watch the show.
This is not just a problem for children that aren't grown.I have a 24 year old daughter that has two small children, a 1 year old daughter and a 2 1/2 year old son.  Her exboyfriend and his current girfriend made up a myspace page and pirated her pictures and placed them on the "new" page.  They put where she worked and told people that if they wanted to know how to get to her work to just ask.  They weren't thinking about all of the psycho people out there that could have went to her work and followed her home and harmed her or her children. They were talking to and adding people for about a month when we finally found out about the page when they put my cellphone number on the page.  This is a prosecutable crime.  The police department had myspace take the site down and we are waiting for information back from myspace to prosecute.  It takes time, but maybe they will learn a lesson.  They will be charged with cyberstalking and harassment.

October 28, 2008, 1:54 pm CDT

What About My Space?

If all parents took their childs/teenagers "My Space"  off the net, maybe the owners of My Space would think twice about not taking some type of action against the crap that is on that site.

I can't imagine what type of person including Dr. Phil's son, would have a page on that disgusting site!

October 28, 2008, 1:54 pm CDT

10/28 Cyber Bullying

My son is now 21 and has some  mental and physical disabilities. Starting in grade 5 when kids started noticing him as different and the clicks started forming, so did the bullying. By grade 7 it was far out of hand. The parents were told and it was ignored. The police were called several times but unfortunately their attitude was boys will be boys and whose side should they believe. The school tried several options, but without the backup of parents and law enforcement, they couldn't keep my son protected either. Finally my child became so terrified he would physically become ill . When the day came that he wanted to take a hammer to school to protect himself, I decided enough was enough and pulled him from school. Long story short, the bullies made up lies to their parents and police and I myself ended up being charged. Thank goodness internet was not a big thing back then because I cringe at the thought of what would have happened had it been.

Thank you Dr. Phil and Jay for again bringing this subject to light. If even one child is protected from someone watching this show then it is worth it.

October 28, 2008, 2:11 pm CDT

Cyber Bullying

Quote From: knlcrew1

My teen-age daughter recently had someone create a MySpace account impersonating her and they posted a picture of her that has an arrow pointing to her private parts with vulgar words (don't misunderstand, my daughter is fully dressed).  They also said vulgar things about her in the profile.  After they created the account, they sent her a message requesting she be a "friend".  When she saw it she started crying and showed it to me.  I immediately reported it to MySpace and the police.  To date, the police don't know what they're going to do about it, if anything, and the site is still up in case the police ever do decide to do anything about it.  All the kids at school were talking about it because the person that created the site was telling everyone about it and I received a message from someone that confirmed they heard the person that created the site say they did.  I frankly can't understand the mentality or lack thereof for anyone to do such a thing - and I am disturbed that the police and MySpace aren't doing anything about it.  I informed MySpace of the URL of the person that created the site yet their site is still up and running so apparently there are no repercussions?  If such actions are ok, then why do they have links to report issues like these?  These issues will continue until the powers that be gives a damn and stands up for the victims and prosecutes those responsible.     

I just went through this with my daughter.  The laws may vary from state to state, but I had to file a police report and provide myspace with the complaint number and the contact information for the person that I was dealing with at the police department.  You need to call the police station and ask if they have a "Cyber Crimes Unit".  The police department had to subpoena myspace to get the ISP of the person that made up the account (they will get each time they logged on) and then they will subpoena the ISP and get the IP addresses of the computer that they used to log in.  Then they will go have a chat with the owner of the computer that did this.  Hopefully they didn't use a public computer!  Whatever the law, get the site taken town and protect your daughter.  The site doesn't have to be up for the police to get the information that they need.  If nothing else, do what I did and print out the page to have as a record.  Good Luck!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last