Message Boards

Topic : 10/28 Cyber Bullying

Number of Replies: 132
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 24, 2008, 02:49:53 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Bullies love an audience, and there’s no bigger playground than the World Wide Web. Cyber bullies create vulgar MySpace posts to taunt others, or send harassing text messages and threatening e-mails. Dr. Phil tackles this topic head on with his son, Jay, whose new book, Jay McGraw’s Life Strategies for Dealing with Bullies, offers action-oriented plans. Jay recently sat down with a group of teens to get their perspective on cyber bullying -- and they didn’t hold back! Learn what concerns the students the most. Next, 17-year-old Austyn says a close friend turned on her, hacked into her MySpace account and reformatted the page to say that Austyn is a " slut," a “sag” and a “butter face.”  Austyn says she now has a bad reputation at school and shows Dr. Phil producers a typical day in her life. What can the teen do to empower herself? Steve DeWarns, a police officer and founder of Internetchildsafety.net, explains when cyber bullying becomes a crime. Then, is your child capable of intimidating other kids? Jay gives the Dos and Don’ts of reacting to a bully. Plus, meet a teen who fears his future may be ruined after a fake MySpace page was created in his name, and a mother who says her 15-year-old son was bullied to death. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 5, 2008, 1:51 pm CST

my teenage daughter

As of yesterday I was speaking to the police on campus and the assentant principal of my daughters high. This show couldn't be a t a better time to see...

My daughter has had off and on bullying. Her 7th grade year a girl got mad at her and wrote a whole book about how horrible my daughter is. For this one I told my daughter to tell a teacher which she did. I didn't think that should be the first thing she should do so leading up to this book this other girl was calling her names, giving her dirty looks, just making her feel bad and I told my daughter to take the high road that this little girl has issue most likely at home or she is jealous so not to give it another thought. Plus being a girl myself at one time, I know how mean girls can be. So I wanted to raise my daughter that it shouldn't matter what other think and do that she should always set the right example to others. Which she has. Then game 8th grade, now we have 2 new girls' and they give a new meaning to the word mean. They ruined her 8th grade camping trip with school. My daughter was calling me every day please come get me they are so mean. Again, life is hard as we grow so I told my daughter how much I loved her and that she need to not let these girls' get the best of her. So she stuck out the trip and although she came home very emotionally upset she came home to me. As her mother I thought I will fix it and her. I was going to talk to these mothers BUT I never saw them again. It was the end of the year so summer was here and no school. I told my daughter it was summer now and to delete their numbers from her cell phone and just move on. Again with me telling her to take the high road. My daughter moved on, she got placed on the freshman volley ball team, she had new things to look forward too. that is until the first day of school. Wouldn't know it but those mean girls were waiting for her to arrive and they stared her down, when she walked past them they were calling her names. I again, told her to take the high road they would move just give it some time. Well the girls just have kept at it on and off again. Mind you school just started. They texted my daughter this weekend, saying hi and of course my daughter has no idea who it is she doesn't have their numbers. They say who they are and my daughter asks them to loose her number. They then text, "Why should we loose your number it is so much fun bugging you. I f****n hate you" Both girls are texting but this message only comes from one of the girls. I said enough is enough. I called this one girl from my phone and she answered I tell her I am and she hung up on me. Now I have taken care of this girl, I know here mother, I am highly insulted not just for what she has done to my daughter but she is now doing this to me as well. No respect for my daughter wishes on leaving her alone and no respect for me as an adult who has taken care of her. I told my daughter she had to report it to someone or I would. I wanted to go to the police. (which come to find out it is a criminal offense) My husband asked me not too and my daughter said she would report them. She told the policeman on campus and it ended with the assentant principal. BUT here is the best part with todays world. As long as I can prove these girls haven't stop action will be taken against them. This time is a warning, next time they get suspended and then expelled. BUT when you make a call and press *76 your number will not show. Then what???? These girls also eggs our vehicle, but I can't prove it so nothing will happen to them.

It amazes me how awful kids have become. Why aren't parents teaching their kids to use cell phone texting, emails with respect for others? This effect their lives now. I am glad my daughter got the courage to report them herself. There will always be mean people in her life now she knows what to do to fix the situation. I don't think these girls even thought that us reporting them goes into their permanent record. Colleges will look and see that they have been in trouble for bullying so they may get over looked. WHICH is GOOD! They should think FIRST before they do anything to someone else. I am just so sad that parents aren't parenting like they did when I grew up. I may have thought they were hard BUT I would never have done the things kids today are doing I KNEW what would happen to me once my parents found out. And TROUBLE just the start.

I bought Jay's book today. I am going to read it and have my daughter read it. She is such a wonderful, loving, gentle soul. It breaks my heart that these means are doing this to her. And what hurts me more is that she didn't want them to get into trouble so was willing to let it go for so long. She now seems to be empowered and her head is held a little higher. BUT I know inside she is still scared and deeply hurt and afraid that although she did tell and ask for help that these girls just will not stop because they do not care. Now what???? What is my next as a parent? When is this new bullying going to stop? How many kids have to get hurt????

November 12, 2008, 5:00 pm CST

cyber bullying

wanted  to  say  Thank  u  Jay  for  outstanding work  u  have  done  ,and  also  in  writting  a  must  have  book  for  All  teens and  parents  , and  internet  users .   If  posting  emoti- cons  was doable  u  would  be  getting  a  huge  cyber  HUG  Jay .   [img]http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/4.gif[/img] 

ooh  ok  there  is  a  way  cool  , thats  for  your  awesome  work  Jay  

First | Prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next Page | Last Page