Message Boards

Topic : 11/03 Child Abductions

Number of Replies: 75
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 30, 2008, 03:18:50 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You see photos of missing kids on billboards, flyers, at the post office and even in grocery stores. Child abductions are a reality, and friends, neighbors or even relatives could kidnap your youngster! In 2002, 11-year-old Shawn Hornbeck vanished without a trace. His parents, Craig and Pam, lived their worst nightmare, until four-and-a-half years later when Shawn was found alive at the home of a child predator. Hear their emotional story and Shawn's courageous tale of how he survived captivity. Next, Jessyca was 13 when she was abducted, held captive and raped by a neighbor. After three months, she was returned home, but her mother, Monica, says she wasn't the same little girl. It's been 13 years since Jessyca's abduction, but the wounds haven't healed. Hear about the pain she still lives with every day. How can she pick up the pieces of her life? Then, in the new film, Gardens of the Night, Tom Arnold plays a pedophile who targets and manipulates an 8-year-old girl to abduct her. Hear why he and the filmmaker, Damian Harris, were compelled to make this movie. And find out the five things all parents need to know to keep their child safe. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 7, 2008, 3:53 pm CST

reactions

First responders have a very important role in how people react and move on. No moatter what the crisis, event.- abductions, assaults, or what ever. The "victim" needs to know form the start it is not their fault. I was raped in my home many years ago and the officer at the 1st interview said, "just remember you didn't  ask for it, you didn't want it and you didn't deserve it". I played those words many times over years. I also found out women were worst in their reactions. Just like in Jessica's case-it wouldn't have happened to me. I would have... you should have.. but I think deep down they are glad it wasn't them. Please remind 1st responders that they have a very important role. Thank you, Pam

November 7, 2008, 6:33 pm CST

Dr Phil

People do not keep an eye on their kids.  They watch the bigger kid watch the little kids.  Leave them to play alone.  Lose them in the store.  Let them walk alone. I am surprized more kids don't dissapear.  You can't watch them at all times but they need to be educated about how serious abduction is.  

November 8, 2008, 2:04 pm CST

Jessyca

I just watched the show. My heart aches for Jessyca. She is an amazing woman and has gone through more in her short life than most people in their lifetimes.

She is so beautiful and deserves to life a happy life. I hope Dr.Phil can provide her the tools she need to heal and live the life she so richly deserves.

In case she happens to read these boards,

Jessyca,

You are beautiful, not ugly

You are smart, not stupid

You are skinny, not fat

You are a good person, not bad

You are the hero everyone says you are

Do not listen to those who said you should have run. It is so easy to tell others what they should have done but they were not there. They don't know.

Please get the help you deserve.

My favorite part of the whole show was seeing you smile. You have such a beautiful smile, but your eyes have so much pain in them.

You captured my heart and I look forward to following your progress....

November 9, 2008, 8:28 am CST

Child abductions

I watched the show about child abductions and it broke my heart.  I was 15 when I was abducted, raped and held for 2 days.  I also was told I was ugly, fat, no one would ever want me.  This trauma came just 6 months after my mother's suicide.  I was depressed for 20 years though I made it all the way through graduate school, I felt like I was just going through the steps.  Finally I decided to get counseling at the age of 35.  I was lucky to find a therapist that I "clicked with" immediately.  After 10 years of therapy I finally began to know what life could feel like.  I am now out of therapy and am a happy healthy adult about to turn 50.  Every morning I wake up I am thankful to be here.  I hope the young woman on your show can find the peace that I eventually did.  Thanks for the show Dr. Phil.  Hopefully it will help parents to get their child into counseling immediately after such a terrible tragedy. 

November 10, 2008, 7:47 pm CST

CHILD ABDUCTIONS

Quote From: schurman

I watched the show about child abductions and it broke my heart.  I was 15 when I was abducted, raped and held for 2 days.  I also was told I was ugly, fat, no one would ever want me.  This trauma came just 6 months after my mother's suicide.  I was depressed for 20 years though I made it all the way through graduate school, I felt like I was just going through the steps.  Finally I decided to get counseling at the age of 35.  I was lucky to find a therapist that I "clicked with" immediately.  After 10 years of therapy I finally began to know what life could feel like.  I am now out of therapy and am a happy healthy adult about to turn 50.  Every morning I wake up I am thankful to be here.  I hope the young woman on your show can find the peace that I eventually did.  Thanks for the show Dr. Phil.  Hopefully it will help parents to get their child into counseling immediately after such a terrible tragedy. 
 TO THE LADY THAT SAID IT TOOK TEN YEARS OF THERAPY FOR HER TO FIND PEACE AGAIN. YOU ARS A SURVIVOR, NO LONGER THE VICTIM, BUT A MUCH STRONGER PERSON. CONGRADULATIONS!

November 10, 2008, 7:56 pm CST

Jessyca

Jessyca like so many other people on this board I just want to tell you that you are a beautiful young woman and you didn't deserve to suffer through the horrible things that you went through.  I wish you the best in your future and I hope that your journey through life soon takes you to a place where you can see all the wonderful things in yourself that everyone else sees in you. 

The reasons that your abductor said all the terrible things  he said to you have nothing to do with you as a person.  He said those things to manipulate and control you.  You could have been the skinniest person on Earth and he still would have called you fat.  Don't let him have even the tiniest piece of that control over another day of your life.  Everytime he comes into your mind remember it is your mind and kick him out.  It will take work at first but the more you do it the more natural it will become until it takes no effort at all.  You deserve the best!  Good luck in your future and stay safe. 

November 12, 2008, 7:34 am CST

Thanks

Quote From: karob70

TO THE LADY THAT SAID IT TOOK TEN YEARS OF THERAPY FOR HER TO FIND PEACE AGAIN. YOU ARS A SURVIVOR, NO LONGER THE VICTIM, BUT A MUCH STRONGER PERSON. CONGRADULATIONS!
Thank you for your comment.  I now work as a crisis counseler for rape survivors.  I is very rewarding to know there help available now that was not available when I was abducted and raped.

November 12, 2008, 6:22 pm CST

Shawn

This story, Shawn's story, has always moved me deeply.

I do not know how he lived through this, but I am awfully glad that he did.

I pray that He finds Peace. I pray that he heals.

I pray for all that is good for him.

God Bless You Shawn.

November 12, 2008, 6:24 pm CST

Thank You

Quote From: schurman

for sharing your story.

May God Bless You.

November 14, 2008, 4:30 pm CST

not fair

Dr. Phil,

You know what's not  fair I am in SC and I just went threw the fact that my ex took my child. I have full custody of my child  when the child went to my ex's for a visit  I got a call from the school and found out that he had enrolled  the chld in school there. To my  shock when I called the police I was told that I can go down can get the child with the police with me but that because he is the father it isnt kiddnapping. All it is is violating a court order which mean  I have to pay to take him back to court for anything to happen. To me  there is no differant from him or someone else that takes my child. If a stranger takes my child then they are charged with kidnapping. They didnt have custody of my child child or permission to take them. And either did the dad. So to me that law needs to be changed. And If I knew how I would  talk to someone about how to change it.  So to me it isn't fair which I know life isnt fair.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last