Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Mind Control?

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 31, 2008, 04:13:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/05/08) It’s hard to believe, but in America alone, there may be as many as 5,000 religious groups preying upon the weak and vulnerable, and all in the name of God. Dr. Phil’s guests have warnings for you and your children. Seeta says when her 18-year-old daughter joined a religious group called 1 Mind Ministries, she left home with her 7-month-old son and never returned. Soon afterward, Seeta received the horrifying news that her grandson was found dead and her daughter was being charged with murder. Learn the disturbing details of this case and why Seeta says her daughter is innocent. Then, meet Norman, a college-educated husband and father who moved his family hundreds of miles to join a religious group that came with a price he says he never expected. Norman says he was enticed to join the House of Yahweh because of his strong desire to be part of a group. The House of Yahweh is a mysterious organization out of Abilene, Texas, led by Yisrayl Hawkins, a man who some say has more than 30 wives. As Norman and his family prepared for the end of the world, as Yisrayl Hawkins preached, Norman says he eventually realized why they were selected to join the group. You won’t believe the reason he gives! Then, meet a former wife of Yisrayl Hawkins, and learn the warning signs of mind control. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 5, 2008, 9:44 pm CST

nuclear baby??

I don't know...the Israel cult dude makes me REALLY nervous...in fact anyone that mentions the words "nuclear" and "religion" together kinda makes me nervous...

I listened to the guy on the show and didn't believe a word he said. 

Kinda the same feeling I got from some of the presidential candidates this election.

and a cult leader that puts the words "nuclear" and "baby" together has WAY to many wives...

November 5, 2008, 9:45 pm CST

Well said...

Quote From: braingame

I know it is not considered polite, but everything that is being said on this show is relavent to how bigger churches operate. In fact, according to my university Sociology textbook the only difference between a cult, a sect, and a religion is the number of people who follow it.

Since my husband is going through a painful "deprogramming" right now I am acutely aware of the destructive nature of brainwashing children. He was raised in the Mormon religion, served 2 years as a missionary, and graduated from Brigham Young University.

All of the elements of brainwashing were part of his life within the Mormon Church. All of the four factors that Dr. Phil discussed exist in the Mormon Church. The one that outsiders can understand most easily is the isolation factor. Very few Mormons associate with non-Mormons. And my definition of associate includes having respect for others outside the Mormon Church, which no Mormon I have ever met has had.

Isolation is also present in the fact that if you are a good Mormon then every moment of your life when you are not sleeping or at work is supposed to belong to this church. All day on Sunday, family home evenings, bible study groups, recruiting others, and on and on every night of the week.

I could go on for pages with this subject but I'll tell you the result for my husband is that he has a difficult time understanding how to take responsibility for the governance of his own life and destiny. He's never had choices before. He has been told so many times that he is not perfect that he is extremely defensive. He has low self esteem, a deep sense of self loathing, and a look in his eyes that indicates fear and a broken spirit.  He has an arrogance that safe guards him from his fear of inadequacy. He has sexist thought patterns that do not reflect his true feelings of women. And he is very controlling. All of these things are on the surface. Every day I spend with my husband his true self emerges more and more as he gains perspective on the lies with which he was raised.

I would like everyone to know that I have never asked or hoped or required my husband to leave the Mormon Church. I fully supported hm to believe whatever he wanted and even though I did not agree with those beliefs, I supported him. He says that his realization that he could love and marry someone outside of the Mormon Church is what started the unravelling of his beliefs because up until he decided to do that he was trained to believe that he would not have a good life and the promise of eternal family was not available to him if he married a non-Mormon. When he realized that was not true, it made him realize a lot of other things that were not true.

I do not hate or despise Mormons. I feel a deep sense of sadness for them, as I think they are victims of a group of old, white, sexist power hungry men who claim that God talks directly to them and this justifies all their immoral behavior. I reach out to those that are hurting deep inside because of this church and all chruches, religions, and groups that hurt people under the guise of helping them.

Your post is both thoughtful and intelligent...and obviously comes from direct personal experience.

I wish you and your husband a speedy healing from the damage done by this cult....and it IS a cult.

November 5, 2008, 9:49 pm CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Quote From: sansmasher

I think Dr. Phil is leaving out the biggest and most profitable cult of them all, Scientolgy.

Dr. Phil would benifit from having Jenna Miscavage Hill, niece of the head of the Church of Scientolgy and best friend of Tom Cruise, David Miscaviage, on his show. She recently did an interview on Nightline which exposed child labor, child neglect, and other criminal activities from the cult.

Scientolgy was formed in the 1950's by science fiction author L. Ron Hubbard, they are highly secretive, force members to spend thosands of dollars on their literature so they can learn their beliefs. Most people only see Scientolgy as the Tom Cruise wacky religion, but something far more sinister lurks beneth.

I encourage people to visit www.exscientolgykids.com to hear her and others story, and also to visit the ex-scientolgu message boards at www.forum.escn.net to hear stories from hundreds of others who were hurt and have had thier lives destroyed by the "fastest growing religion on the planet"

Actually not only do I see Scientology in that wacky way that Tom Cruise shows it to be, but I also feel there is something sinister lurking beneath. I also do not consider this to be a true religion, it is something that was dreamed up by a writer of fiction just a few short years ago.

November 5, 2008, 9:55 pm CST

I agree also.....................

Quote From: cndrlla

Your post is both thoughtful and intelligent...and obviously comes from direct personal experience.

I wish you and your husband a speedy healing from the damage done by this cult....and it IS a cult.

From what I have read about the Mormon religion and the documentaries that I have watched, I found out that this "religion" was formed in the 1800's by a man who made it up himself. What I can't remember is if this was Brigham Young himself or not. But this hasn't been around as long as Christianity or Judaism to name a few. It reminds me of JH, and also of Scientology.

November 5, 2008, 9:56 pm CST

cults use people for slavery

All cults have one thing in common--they use people for their agenda's and deceive them into thinking it is for God.  They lock up their minds and take away their freedom, mentally, spiritually and physically.  They are kingdoms of invisible dark bondage that cover it up with polite smiles.  They destroy lives and ruin family's.  America gives these people freedom of religion and they use it to try to destroy our country from within our borders.  They are evil and disgusting organizations.  Scientology, Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Islam and countless others.  They are simply doctrines of demons--rather polite ones too, until they pull out the dagger under their cloak like the ones who killed the stewardesses on those planes years ago.  If they don't kill your body, they kill your freedom.

November 5, 2008, 10:01 pm CST

How about......................

Quote From: freebird777

Let's see-- The attorney for a false prophet says that they believe in polygamy, but because it's against the law, this nice, law-abiding, friendly neighborhood religion abides by the law.   hmmm... Should we really believe the attorney for a false prophet? 

Not as far as we can throw him?

November 5, 2008, 10:11 pm CST

Islam?

Quote From: freebird777

All cults have one thing in common--they use people for their agenda's and deceive them into thinking it is for God.  They lock up their minds and take away their freedom, mentally, spiritually and physically.  They are kingdoms of invisible dark bondage that cover it up with polite smiles.  They destroy lives and ruin family's.  America gives these people freedom of religion and they use it to try to destroy our country from within our borders.  They are evil and disgusting organizations.  Scientology, Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Islam and countless others.  They are simply doctrines of demons--rather polite ones too, until they pull out the dagger under their cloak like the ones who killed the stewardesses on those planes years ago.  If they don't kill your body, they kill your freedom.
Are you now going to try and say that Islam and Muslim are evil? Are you so unaware that there are actually millions of good people who are members of this faith? BTW, Christianity is what they study along with the Koran. I may not have said that exactly right, but it is very similar. They pray to Allah, who would be God to us. The same man! Oh, good grief, why do I bother to read this stuff?

November 5, 2008, 10:22 pm CST

CULTS

Another cult in my opinion is the Remant Fellowship Church started by Gwen Shamblin. I do not feel she if following scripture at all. I would enjoy Dr. Phil having her on his show with some well know born again Christian leaders, such as Dr. Dobson, or the likes.  I think Robin may know some women of faith to ask on with Gwen, it would awe inspiring. Gwen also started the Weigh Down out of exodus, at first I though this was a real answer to prayer and then the red flags went up and from then on I was skeptical. I feel that this starts out with such promise, that many people are "sucked" in. It needs to be exposed for what it is.

November 5, 2008, 11:41 pm CST

don't take it personal

The idea is not to attack members of religions that are classified as cults by a consensus of specific identifying criteria and classic characteristics.  It's the mind-control, bondage, deception, emotional and physical abuse, theological confusion, associated with cults that is evil and demonic, not usually the people.  Many people in these religions are kind-hearted people.  One thing I like about the Muslim faith, for instance, is how nice the women are.  But at the same time, I don't like how this religion treats women.  But it's clear that  Islam, Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Scientology as well as the group on the show today, to mention a few, all meet the criteria to classify them as pseudo-religious cults. 

And people whose lives have been adversely effected by groups that employ psychological control, tend to be kind of angry about it once they realize that they have been used and deceived, but the way to reach out to members of religious cults is through kindness, patience and understanding friendship.  Unless, of course, they are pointing an AK-47 at you. 

November 6, 2008, 4:17 am CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Quote From: efffy_

A second printing would come after the first printing in 1978. There is only one ISBN (International Standard Book Number)  for a book and this one has a date of 1978; reprints are not assigned new numbers. I like things to make sense, and this doesn't. It is a big deal because the whole thing is inaccurate. Why would someone tie a book to a series of events that cannot possibly be the impetus for the events, or be chronological? I am a curious creature, and I like to know things. I just happen to know that book, and I knew it was written in the late 70's, so it immediately struck me as off. I appreciate correction, and assume other intelligent beings do as well. I wasn't asking you anything, but if I was I'd very much appreciate your tenacity, thank you.
Every new addition of a book has a different ISBN number, which makes sense because the ISBN also contains the price. The hard cover and paperback versions of a book have different ISBN numbers.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last