Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Mind Control?

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 31, 2008, 04:13:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/05/08) It’s hard to believe, but in America alone, there may be as many as 5,000 religious groups preying upon the weak and vulnerable, and all in the name of God. Dr. Phil’s guests have warnings for you and your children. Seeta says when her 18-year-old daughter joined a religious group called 1 Mind Ministries, she left home with her 7-month-old son and never returned. Soon afterward, Seeta received the horrifying news that her grandson was found dead and her daughter was being charged with murder. Learn the disturbing details of this case and why Seeta says her daughter is innocent. Then, meet Norman, a college-educated husband and father who moved his family hundreds of miles to join a religious group that came with a price he says he never expected. Norman says he was enticed to join the House of Yahweh because of his strong desire to be part of a group. The House of Yahweh is a mysterious organization out of Abilene, Texas, led by Yisrayl Hawkins, a man who some say has more than 30 wives. As Norman and his family prepared for the end of the world, as Yisrayl Hawkins preached, Norman says he eventually realized why they were selected to join the group. You won’t believe the reason he gives! Then, meet a former wife of Yisrayl Hawkins, and learn the warning signs of mind control. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 6, 2008, 4:59 am CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Quote From: jewelsf

I have always wondered why people are drawn into cults that already have a life of stability. I can understand how someone who is vulnerable, homeless, on drugs or what have you can fall prey. But how does someone who is not in that position happily sign their life, marriage, and all worldly goods away to live in a commune without the benefit of being able to think and act for themselves? They are stripped of everything, including their spouse if they are married and forced to live under the rule of one man who claims to be their Saviour. I am a Christian but I would certainly know better than to fall into this kind of trap. To me it's just plain old common sense.

Hi Jewels, I have a friend, who has been a Jehovah's Witness for about 13 years. As friends we don't discuss her religion. If I wanted to discusss it , she would. But, I am not interested. We have a lot in common, same age, both married for a long time, good home life, she has one grown child, I have two. We both love football and love to attend our local high school games together. Several years back, I DID ask her if she was really not supposed to be friends with ME and hang around with me, and she said "No, not really". I am a Baptist, but I am kind of liberal in my thinking. Anyway, the reason my friend joined up with the Witness "program" is because at the time she was searching for something to believe in. She had gone to several churches in our area. She said that when she would ask questions they would tell her to pray about it. I didn't ask her what questions she asked. Finally she hooked up with Witnesses and found what she was looking for. She had to "study" with them for about 2 years before she could even be considered to be accepted. Someone on here has said that they are not allowed to vote. I had wondered about her lack of interest in the recent campaign and subsequent election (Again I didn't ask, because our friendship is not based on our relilgious beliefs) I noticed years ago that when we go to games and the natl. amthem is played , I am standing there with my hand over my heart and facing the flag and feeling emotional, and she faces forward and looks down. She is making candy for my daughter's baby shower and I was over at her house yesterday and she was showing me her candy molds and we came across an American flag mold. She said "I've had some of these for a long time, would you like to have the flag mold?" I said "Yes" and again asked no questions. She does not celebrate Christmas, does not celebrate her birthday. I accept her the way she is, and of course, on the other hand she accepts me also. I do believe she has the right to believe the way she wants to believe. Her husband and son accept that she believes the way she does, but they are not a part of her church. The thing of it is, Jehovah's Witnesses use the same Bible that we do, but they interpret it differently. I know from past experience that if I were to discuss our difference of beliefs with her, she could go to the Bible and find verses to prove that what she's saying is in the Bible. When we first became friends about 12 years ago, she asked me if she could come up to my house and explain the Book of Revelations to me and I said " I believe differently than you but I believe that we can still be friends" and that's pretty much the way it has been. She is well entrenched in her belief and very involved in her church, but we are still friends. So anyway, sometimes people are searching for something and they find it  and accept it. I personally think the the Witnesses are somewhat controlling according to some of the things that my friend has said over the years. It wouldn't be something that I would be drawn to.

Jewels, have you checked out the Beta boards. I have joined them and they are pretty interesting. I don't think I have seen you there. Come on over!

November 6, 2008, 5:27 am CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Quote From: ladyjessica

Every new addition of a book has a different ISBN number, which makes sense because the ISBN also contains the price. The hard cover and paperback versions of a book have different ISBN numbers.
Yes I know that. I said reprints. This book doesn't have any other editions or versions.

November 6, 2008, 7:14 am CST

JW's Bible

Quote From: housewife52

Hi Jewels, I have a friend, who has been a Jehovah's Witness for about 13 years. As friends we don't discuss her religion. If I wanted to discusss it , she would. But, I am not interested. We have a lot in common, same age, both married for a long time, good home life, she has one grown child, I have two. We both love football and love to attend our local high school games together. Several years back, I DID ask her if she was really not supposed to be friends with ME and hang around with me, and she said "No, not really". I am a Baptist, but I am kind of liberal in my thinking. Anyway, the reason my friend joined up with the Witness "program" is because at the time she was searching for something to believe in. She had gone to several churches in our area. She said that when she would ask questions they would tell her to pray about it. I didn't ask her what questions she asked. Finally she hooked up with Witnesses and found what she was looking for. She had to "study" with them for about 2 years before she could even be considered to be accepted. Someone on here has said that they are not allowed to vote. I had wondered about her lack of interest in the recent campaign and subsequent election (Again I didn't ask, because our friendship is not based on our relilgious beliefs) I noticed years ago that when we go to games and the natl. amthem is played , I am standing there with my hand over my heart and facing the flag and feeling emotional, and she faces forward and looks down. She is making candy for my daughter's baby shower and I was over at her house yesterday and she was showing me her candy molds and we came across an American flag mold. She said "I've had some of these for a long time, would you like to have the flag mold?" I said "Yes" and again asked no questions. She does not celebrate Christmas, does not celebrate her birthday. I accept her the way she is, and of course, on the other hand she accepts me also. I do believe she has the right to believe the way she wants to believe. Her husband and son accept that she believes the way she does, but they are not a part of her church. The thing of it is, Jehovah's Witnesses use the same Bible that we do, but they interpret it differently. I know from past experience that if I were to discuss our difference of beliefs with her, she could go to the Bible and find verses to prove that what she's saying is in the Bible. When we first became friends about 12 years ago, she asked me if she could come up to my house and explain the Book of Revelations to me and I said " I believe differently than you but I believe that we can still be friends" and that's pretty much the way it has been. She is well entrenched in her belief and very involved in her church, but we are still friends. So anyway, sometimes people are searching for something and they find it  and accept it. I personally think the the Witnesses are somewhat controlling according to some of the things that my friend has said over the years. It wouldn't be something that I would be drawn to.

Jewels, have you checked out the Beta boards. I have joined them and they are pretty interesting. I don't think I have seen you there. Come on over!

Housewife52,

The thing of it is, Jehovah's Witnesses use the same Bible that we do, but they interpret it differently.

For your information, the Jehovah's Witnesses DO NOT use the same Bible that we do.  They will tell you that when you first start "studying" with them, but their version is called the "New World Translation" and it is not like a regular old King James or any other version of a true Christian Bible that you will ever find.  Go back and check out the roots of the Jehovah's Witnesses.  Their "Bible" was written with the help of a medium, so what does that tell you?  They are a pedophile protecting, evil and greedy association who use and abuse their members after they get them baptized in.  Please go to a website called "Silentlambs" and "Freeminds" and read some of the guestbook entries on there.  You need to tell your friend about the association she is getting involved with.  Bless you!

November 6, 2008, 8:01 am CST

I heartily disagree with you!

Quote From: drmel46

Housewife52,

The thing of it is, Jehovah's Witnesses use the same Bible that we do, but they interpret it differently.

For your information, the Jehovah's Witnesses DO NOT use the same Bible that we do.  They will tell you that when you first start "studying" with them, but their version is called the "New World Translation" and it is not like a regular old King James or any other version of a true Christian Bible that you will ever find.  Go back and check out the roots of the Jehovah's Witnesses.  Their "Bible" was written with the help of a medium, so what does that tell you?  They are a pedophile protecting, evil and greedy association who use and abuse their members after they get them baptized in.  Please go to a website called "Silentlambs" and "Freeminds" and read some of the guestbook entries on there.  You need to tell your friend about the association she is getting involved with.  Bless you!

I have been closely involved with friends and family who are JH and not once have I EVER seen anything that has to do with them being a pedophile, or protecting pedophiles. Maybe you are talking about some extremist group that has branched out but certainly not the people that I know. My best friend from childhood was JH as was her mother. I spent a great deal of time in their home and among their extended family for 12 years, until my best friend was killed in a car accident on Prom night. Then my husbands brother is also JH, and thank God that he is. He met his wife who is from JH and his entire family has credited her and JH for saving his life. He was on a bad track and would have wound up dead or in prison if not for this. I have spent a lot of time in their home and again, it is nothing but healthy and delightful. Then there is a close friend of mine, a former coworker who is an incredible woman, and honest as the day is long. She is the one who has taught me about JH and has answered my questions about this religion. Believe me, I had many. Not once have I seen anything that you speak of nor do I believe that they are all what you try and make them out to be. The only thing I really have any concerns about is the matter of blood transfusions, I will never understand how they can refuse that. I know why they do it, I just don't know "how" they do it. I know that I would do anything to save a loved ones life even if it meant going against my own beliefs and religion. I feel my parental instincts would over ride everything.

November 6, 2008, 8:14 am CST

Hello Housewife 52!

Quote From: housewife52

It's nice to hear from you again. I too have friends who are JH and also my husbands brother and his wife & family are JH. I know for a fact that JH saved my brother in laws life. He found this after meeting his wife who is JH and finally settled down, no longer got into trouble. He was on the wild side, very wild! My best friend from childhood was JH and I spent a good part of my youth in her family's home. Not once did they ever try and "convert" me. Very sadly she passed away when she was 18 years old and on her way home from Prom night. It was a car accident. I too am Baptist by the way. I have another friend who is a former coworker of mine and i was so comfortable with her that I asked her all about the religion to be able to better understand it. The hardest part for me is the fact that they refuse blood transfusions. I would do anything to save a loved ones life, no matter what it went against. I have seen the Beta stuff on the home page but haven't checked it out. I guess I will now! I'll see you over there!

Take care,

Jewels

November 6, 2008, 8:36 am CST

I didn't realize that.

Quote From: drmel46

Housewife52,

I didn't know they use a different bible. Sometimes my friend does quote Scripture to make a point about something, but she quotes Scripture from the King James version that I am familiar with. My friend has been involved with the Witnesses for about 13 years. She is entrenched and likes it. Also, I have a 77 year old aunt who is studying with them. She says that they have a beautiful belief. She did say that it is hard to stop believing what she has always believed. She hasn't been studying for very long. If it's true that they don't vote, I wonder if my aunt would go along with that. Because she fell on Monday night and injured her knee, but was determined to hobble to the polls on Tue. and vote(for John McCain) She is a very independent woman and I can't see her joining a religion that will be telling her what to do about things that IMO don't have a thing to do with believing in God. But, again, I don't really know the whole story. Just some of the things I have heard are controlling and decided by men instead of God. My friend DID tell me one time, that if someone in her church was doing "wrong", and was told to stop doing whatever it was, and didn't stop, then they would be shown the door. I asked her how they found out someone was doing "wrong" and all she would say was"they just do". So I figured that there must be some sort of a posse checking up on people and confronting them. Them problem with that is, no one is perfect and the posse is not in any position to be checking up on people's lives. It's kinda like the fox guarding the hen house if you ask me. The only way my friend and I can BE friends is if we leave religion out of it. But, I wonder if someday, she will be confronted about hanging around with a Baptist and get "dis-fellowshipped" if she doesn't stop being my friend? Chances are she would choose the church over our friendship. It has caused a rift between her and her mother, because her mother has never accepted that her daughter is a Witness and tries to talk to her about it and it just causes hard feelings and arguments. During the Christmas season, my friend and I don't hang out. Really she just goes to church and stays home during that time because she can't stand to be out and have people wish her a "Merry Christmas". But, the rest of the year, we are friends and hang out and do things together. I WILL go and check out the website you mentioned just out of curiosity. But, trust me, my friend is a Witness through and through and is happy and satisfied with her religion. There's not a thing I could say to sway her. If I did try to talk to her about it, all it would do is end our friendship. And what good would that accomplish? 

November 6, 2008, 9:28 am CST

apology for my abusive attacks

Are you now going to try and say that Islam and Muslim are evil? Are you so unaware that there are actually millions of good people who are members of this faith? BTW, Christianity is what they study along with the Koran. I may not have said that exactly right, but it is very similar. They pray to Allah, who would be God to us. The same man! Oh, good grief, why do I bother to read this stuff?

I would like to apologize for my abusive attacks on other's religions.  The way cults deceive innocent people and lead them into bondage and mind-control makes me very angry, but abusive name calling such as calling someone's religion evil or disgusting or "doctrine of demons" is not the answer, especially not a Christian way to help someone.  Attacking someone's beliefs does not help free people from the sad bondage and mind-control of cults.  Just being their friend without being enticed into a religion that does not promote spiritual and mental freedom while praying for them and showing them what it means to have a free mind is helpful.  There are Christian ministry's that are very effective in helping people find inner freedom.  One best-selling book called "The Bondage Breaker" by Dr. Neil T. Anderson was very helpful to me and has helped thousands of people find freedom in Christ, especially Christians who feel they may not be growing spiritually or others who are in bondage to negative thinking or behavior.  One of the main themes of this book is realizing and believing that as Christians, we are children of God, and this gives us divine protection and greater freedom in Christ can be realized through completing the 7 STEPS TO FREEDOM  which is a 7-step process of actively renouncing negative things we may have done or believed in the past and turning to God.

November 6, 2008, 9:29 am CST

Mind Control Complete.

Dr. Phil

Its a pleasure sir to become a member in your life. For allowing the topic of mind control to really be discussed, there are concerns that your prabably well aware of however when we talk about the TRUTH.

It is my deepest hope that you will not allow bull on your show, liers, and twisters of the facts. I challenge you Dr. Phil, you should know Yahweh's purpose, you should not do the diservice to your self, or your viewers, of NOT studying the TEACHINGS of my Fathers house. You will bless yourself, and all your viewers if you are balanced, informed, and wanting the facts, and truth. However, if you allow slander, propoganda, lies, false acussations from people who never really wanted to understand the truth, If you project them to be the innocent victoms, with out a balnced examination of thier required behavior in YAHWEH'S HOUSE. Its not a church, its not a place where boys and girls, men and women are acting like the churches and christaians around the world, these people, Yahweh's true people are HOLY, not the homo chatholic priests. YAHWEH'S people are blessed, with health, knowledge, unity, and trust in the Yisrayl Hawkins as a great teacher.  The true victoms of the mincontrol complete are these people, who refuse to read study, proove the truth to them selves.  The victoms of the mind control complete was discussed in every christian bible, but all have gone astray, going thier own way, every man after the understanding of his own heart. Read revelations Dr. Phil. Cant understand? Not a surprise. Thats because the mind control complete has been 99.9% effective. The world is oblivious to the truth. Yahweh, and the King of Kings. This whole planet agrees that the Roman Chatholic Pope, is the spokesman for my father in heaven, well everyone, your all wrong. He is showed as he truly is in your own bibles, he is the one and his lieing church and all her servants, these are the ones, that have caused the MIND CONTROL COMPLETE. Twist the truth more along with her, Dr. Phil and you will never foregive yourself. The truth is going to win, doubt it and be ashamed. Proclaim it and join in. My father in heaven knows me, you and EVERY LIVING BEING ON THIS PLANET. Study, read, research, seek, ask, knock, its is given. All understanding that is needed to save millions on this planet from your own diseases, is found at my fathers house in Abilene Tx. You will not find homosexual catholic priest brinking virgin blood in my fathers house. Yahweh promised to never share HIS GLORY. Swallow that Catholic priests.

November 6, 2008, 9:57 am CST

mind control complete or completely confused?

the "mind control complete" post sounds a little confused or maybe too much of the second hand oregano...

November 6, 2008, 10:03 am CST

well put:)

Although I consider myself to be a Christian, I still tend to live and think more like you than what is considered a "normal" Christian. Yes, I believe in God, but I also feel that there is a lot of hypocrisy in the church and in congregations. My husband used to attend church when he was married to his first wife many years ago and then turned away from it when he found out that the Minister was having an affair with one of his best friends wife. Just like me he still believes in God but neither of us attend church.

I belonged to a church many years ago but have found my own way and my own spirituality. To me being a Christian is a combination of believing in the Lord and also by just being a good person. By having morals and values. I certainly don't believe that a person must attend church to be a Christian or that is the only way to the afterlife. As I said, a lot of hypocrites belong to church's and no amount of praying or attending will wash away what they have done wrong.

Having a good heart and common sense is the obvious choice in my humble opinion. As to cults? They prey on the weak, mentally compromised and vulnerable.

Icompletely agree sweety:) peace be with you always:)

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last