Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Mind Control?

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 31, 2008, 04:13:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/05/08) It’s hard to believe, but in America alone, there may be as many as 5,000 religious groups preying upon the weak and vulnerable, and all in the name of God. Dr. Phil’s guests have warnings for you and your children. Seeta says when her 18-year-old daughter joined a religious group called 1 Mind Ministries, she left home with her 7-month-old son and never returned. Soon afterward, Seeta received the horrifying news that her grandson was found dead and her daughter was being charged with murder. Learn the disturbing details of this case and why Seeta says her daughter is innocent. Then, meet Norman, a college-educated husband and father who moved his family hundreds of miles to join a religious group that came with a price he says he never expected. Norman says he was enticed to join the House of Yahweh because of his strong desire to be part of a group. The House of Yahweh is a mysterious organization out of Abilene, Texas, led by Yisrayl Hawkins, a man who some say has more than 30 wives. As Norman and his family prepared for the end of the world, as Yisrayl Hawkins preached, Norman says he eventually realized why they were selected to join the group. You won’t believe the reason he gives! Then, meet a former wife of Yisrayl Hawkins, and learn the warning signs of mind control. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 5, 2008, 1:22 pm CST

Stupid

It's Cult leaders like this that give REAL CHRISTIANS, like me, a bad name! I have read a few of the posts before me and it really makes me angry how they're spiritual life is totally screwed now, because of the false teaching of Stupid, so called "Christian leaders!" I go to a church where we are always allowed to dispute and question anything that we may not agree with, with the leaders. But here's the kicker...we go to the Bible, God's Word, to find out what the truth is. I don't sit back and allow someone to control my mind. I make my own choices. BUT, I also don't run away from God and Jesus Christ when things get sticky, like some of the others that have posted. Well, I have ranted enough. I just hope that something so little, so Stupid, can't tear you away from an eternal life in heaven

November 5, 2008, 1:23 pm CST

cults control your mind

I am from Paterson N.J. and recently my Fiance' was introduce to this church that controls your mind, body and soul. He ask me to visit the church because I couldn't understand why he had to always be at this church. He had no out side life not with me or his family. He was told that he had to leave me because we were not married. He was very ill doing the summer months and I took him to the hospital he was diagnose with accute bronchites a fever of a 103.6 and he was very weak. When he was release by the dr. he was told to stay in bed for 3days and donot go to work. The church people called him and made him come to church and said that he should be with his church family while he is ill. They would keep him in church almost all evening and night after he return from  work. I finally went there and from the moment that I walked in the door I knew it was something wrong. Once in the temple with women had covered you find out that they worship a mother God whom live in Korea and the second coming name Asnsahnghong whom passed away.

They have no respect for women and children or black people, they just put up with some blacks so it they won't seem racist. They will eventually brain wash you away from your family. I went there about 3 more times and I said to myself once I leave this church I will never return. My Fiance' finally came to his senses when they kick a family member of his out because he didnot look like the type of person they wanted in their temple. Know his mom and aunt is there and he is feeling so guilty right now because they won't leave. This have caused multiple problems with their husbands to the point that they want to astray. Please everyone be aware of these churc cultural religions it can ruin your home and family relationships.

November 5, 2008, 1:24 pm CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Quote From: bjanell4

Dear Dr. Phil, in 1972 I read the book "The Turning by Justin Scott".  I have to confess the book ticked me off so much that I threw is across the room five times before I finished.  Thank God, I did.  In 1974 Sun Yung Moon came to Washington, DC and had a free concert at Constitution Hall, I hope I'm correct about the location.  Their posters were everywhere like bugs.  I was working in Passport Division of Dept. of State on K Street NW.  I was returning from lunch when an oddly speaking young man confronted and asked it I was saved and ready for God.  I wasn't in the mood to listen.  I was running late and wasn't in a very good mood.  The young man continued to speak to me.  So  much so, I missed the light and he said it was a sign from God.  I looked him in the face and ready to put him in his place when I saw his eyes.  Dr. Phil, his eyes were lifeless, dead and the way his smiled , it looked like he was in or had rictus.  When the light changed I bid good luck, farewell and bye.
That was 36 years ago and I still have the book and the last time I browsed through it.  I threw it across the room.
I hope you can get your hands on this book.  It helped me and maybe it could help, if not entertain others.
Thank you for letting me tell my story.

You read the book six years before it was published.

November 5, 2008, 1:25 pm CST

11/05 Mind Control?

This show could not come on at a better time.  My husband and I are going through the exact same thing with his 15 year old daughter which is my stepdaughter.  She has been in this religious cult called House of Zion in Monroe, LA.  It is a  pretty long story so I won't get into all of it right now, but just know that anyone that is a part of something like this should seek some type of help because it could be very dangerous. 

November 5, 2008, 1:32 pm CST

HOY

I actually live in Abilene Texas and everything that they are saying are very true. I do not belong to the HOY but it's almost on a daily basis I hear about them on the local news. The younger Hawkins was convicted of sexual assault. The trial of the older Hawkins will start this month, if everything goes right. The women and children there are to be seen and not heard. I live about 7-10 miles from them and I hardly ever see them in town. Abilene is not a huge town. We only have about 115,000 people.

November 5, 2008, 1:49 pm CST

Thanks for sharing.....

Quote From: bjanell4

Dear Dr. Phil, in 1972 I read the book "The Turning by Justin Scott".  I have to confess the book ticked me off so much that I threw is across the room five times before I finished.  Thank God, I did.  In 1974 Sun Yung Moon came to Washington, DC and had a free concert at Constitution Hall, I hope I'm correct about the location.  Their posters were everywhere like bugs.  I was working in Passport Division of Dept. of State on K Street NW.  I was returning from lunch when an oddly speaking young man confronted and asked it I was saved and ready for God.  I wasn't in the mood to listen.  I was running late and wasn't in a very good mood.  The young man continued to speak to me.  So  much so, I missed the light and he said it was a sign from God.  I looked him in the face and ready to put him in his place when I saw his eyes.  Dr. Phil, his eyes were lifeless, dead and the way his smiled , it looked like he was in or had rictus.  When the light changed I bid good luck, farewell and bye.
That was 36 years ago and I still have the book and the last time I browsed through it.  I threw it across the room.
I hope you can get your hands on this book.  It helped me and maybe it could help, if not entertain others.
Thank you for letting me tell my story.

Your post made me laugh...I got a visual of you throwing that book across the room...five times! I've not read the book, but I think I will try to find it just because I pride myself in "knowing my enemies". Education and knowledge are always power!

I believe that the people who are caught up in this garbage are not bad people; nor are they all stupid. Ignorant, for sure, but that's a whole different thing than being stupid. Mostly, they are lost, looking for something, lonely, misguided, rootless and sad.  Perfect targets for the cults who use mind control.

Unfortunately, these cults give true religion and faith a bad name and people who don't know better say: "See? I told you all people of faith are Bible-thumping nuts!" And it turns them away from finding REAL faith....which is the most tragic part of the whole thing.

I'm really glad you were grounded enough not to get caught up in that mess!

November 5, 2008, 1:54 pm CST

this is outragous!!!!

I think Mr Hawkins is sick, and His lawyer sould be DISBARRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sounds like the lawyer is one of the cult member!!!!! This makes me so sick that men can play mind games and we (me and women) believe it, I would love to tell this !!!hole off!!!!!! I will not be brainwashed!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008, 2:01 pm CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Quote From: efffy_

You read the book six years before it was published.

It could have been a second printing in 1978! Anyway, it was a long time ago, the poster could have simply mistaken the year.

Jeez! 

November 5, 2008, 2:06 pm CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Having lived in Abilene, Texas on and off for 30 years, I was reminded by your show today what we used to call this "church"... The House of Yahoo.

November 5, 2008, 2:12 pm CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Quote From: gramipam

Being raised in the World Wide Church of God cult headqtrs., in Pasadena, CA, founded and corrupted by its leader herbert w. armstrong, I am thrilled to see that there is more and more attention and education being shared about this very private and secret way of life. Hopefully this show will help spread more awareness about the damage, long term affects, and suffering that mind-control has on its victims...its survivors. There are many reasons for mind control....these individuals seek complete and unquestionable power in order to act upon and entice other pervs. such as themselves.  More often than not, there is child abuse-both physically verbally, and sexually, spousal abuse-same as prior, financial abuse, etc. Good ole herbert molested, at least, one of his daughters for around 10 yrs. Sadly, many ordained "ministers", church leaders, male brethren, etc., not only followed suit, but over-looked, covered-up, ignored these sick trangressions. There used to be two "ministers" at a time that would come to our home, unannounced and while my father was at work.  One would occupy my mother in the living room with scripture reading and "counsel", while the other one would lead me hand in hand back to my bdrm..."to look after me", so that my mom could get the full impact and spiritual message the other one was controling her through.  This went on from about  the ages of 3-6 by the "ministers" and again when I was 8 or 10, by an employee. My mother never came back there, the door never even had to be shut.  She "knew" that I was in the "best" of hands and that I was blessed to have such a devout man of God working with me so diligently one on one. And she would never, ever even think to interrupt either man, a woman did not do that back then.  I never called out for my mom or discouraged this in any way, because, for one how young I was when it started, and two, we were taught from the onset, from the pulpit by hwa that any form of  sexual abuse was brought on by us loathesome, sinful, decietful daughters of Eve...the ultimate liar, the reason for all of the worlds sins, for the fall of man, etc. Plus, I was soooo confused, how could this man sent from God be doing this?...I was a chosen one, a special child of God, so, I was supposedly being blessed for being such a special little girl to God and His chosen servants!!!!!!!  It was always the females fault due to us seducing the males with our natural, birth biven "waunton", (sp), eyes and seductive ways that satan manifested through us.  According to hwa, a female coud easily sexually  over power even the strongest of men....Sampson and Delilah. Not only were men given an out, but they were excused, over-looked for their foul behavior. Never were the police brought in, because we were not allowed to go outside of our group. hwa taught us that there was no such thing as rape in a marriage, it was the wifes fault for not submitting, therefore, the woman needed and deserved that form of take charge force by strength in order for her to better understand her place and stay there.  It would also teach her how to better herself as a wife, a member, a satisfying bed partner, a submissive female, etc., while at the same time benefiting their marriage by showing her who was in charge at all times, of everything, and every"body".  Females were 2nd class citizens under hwas teachings.  When a female teenage member of our YOU youth group was raped  and she actually reported it to the youth director, she would recieve the same punishment, sometimes more punishment, sometimes the only punishment than her attacker. This has changed in most of the wwcg and break-off locations I believe after hwas death ...not all tho'.  The suicide rate, infant deaths, and child deaths were extemely high...go figure.  Alcoholism also dominated many members lives, esp. males, thus making for more violence and crimes. Several web-sites actually refer to those of us who grew up and somehow escaped wwcg, after years and years of abuse, "child survivors".  After three failed suicide attempts, years of on again off again drug addiction, abusive relationships, and many years of therapy, (with many still to go), I am definately proud to call myself a child survivor. I was born into this way of life  and it took over 30 yrs before I was finally strong enough to break away for the very last time...for good.  When your family is still involved, it is extremely difficult to break such a debilitating strangle hold.  Finally, after almost loosing me, not too many yrs ago, to another suicide attempt, my family made an about face and have turned into such amazing, unconditional, forgiving, caring, non-judgemental, examples to and for me.  I do not blame my folks, my dad was a high up at hdqtrs, so he and my mom were just as much, if not more, controlled than us kids were.  I love my family, but the child-rearing that goes on in such a destructive atmosphere is far from normal, acceptable, and often times far from legal, too.  I just pray that your show and this mini-novel (lol)  helps encourage those who are enslaved and explain to those who are confused, uneducated, or in denial that this does exist.

I grew up in world wide too. I, but by the grace of God, was not abused physically or sexually. I can, however, attest to the verbal abuse and the complete lack of self esteem that this cult fostered.

Mr. Hawkins, I believe, is very much the same as Mr. Armstrong was in many ways. I believe, as I live in a small town in central Texas and I hear and see the tv news broadcasts that pertain to this cult (Mr. Hawkins has been arrested more then once), that his control and his abuse will only get worse.

To the person who wrote the original comment here....my heart goes out to you.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last